Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found that if I use a little power, come in shallow but holding the nose high and landing on the mains stops any bounce. I have my flaps come down to nearly 90 degrees at which point they are mainly braking and not really giving much lift. I've also found extra elevator travel means I don't run out of elevator authority on flare as I've found when the airspeed gets low you'll lose the ability to hold the nose up and she will bounce onto the nose gear and then bunny hop her way down the runway.

Comment

• I have also found the pins that attach the strut to the retract to be soft and bend easy on less than stellar landings. Has anyone come up with a stronger replacement?

Comment

• Originally posted by MAKODS View Post
        I have also found the pins that attach the strut to the retract to be soft and bend easy on less than stellar landings. Has anyone come up with a stronger replacement?
        I drilled out the aluminium gear carriers on the 3mm main pin type units on the 2 main wings on my old wire type gear model and made up oleos to accept 4.1mm dia pins and used them but check to see if there is enough meat left in the oleos to take it as I used my own aftermarket units at the time. Also consider the possibility of using Freewing Electronic retract with 4.1mm shaft Type D ( nose gear unit ) item No ET8104 and drill out the original 3mm unit steering arm alloy and nose leg oleo to suit the 4.1mm dia pin that comes with the unit. Then add nose gear brace.
        But for the cheapest option If you don`t want to prat about too much then just try using stainless steel pins ( original unit diameter )but cut a flat into them to grip the grubscrews.

Comment

• Originally posted by Husafreak View Post
          Sorry for the late reply! 6S 2957-2210Kv Inrunner Motor and ESC from my FW F-35, 12 blade 70mm fan that comes stock on that jet. I was unlucky with that one, got it into a flat spin that I could not recover from. It was a cool looking jet but but limited on what you could do with it so I'll take this Hawk any day. BTW the second day I flew it in a wicked wind and bounced it, my bad, but it bounced big time, pogo stick style. Only damage was I bent the pin in the nose gear strut. Easily straigtened in a vice with pliers but I realized the pins are very small and so soft. Even my F-35 had a much stronger gear with bigger diameter pins. So landing this one is no joke, gotta set it down just so. My big CARF Hawk will do the same. I would recommend if you bounce with speed go around and if you hold it off too long and get a really nose high bounce (like I did) pray! I've flown it a bunch of times since and it is all good. Still loving its flying qualities just a wary of the landings.
          Maiden flight for mine today. Pre-flight I Installed Dubro low bounce tires. 1.75 inch on the front and 2 inch for mains. For nose wheel you will have to drill the wheel hub to accommodate the 4mm axle. Mains are 1:1 swap. Full flaps and a touch of throttle - 2 sweet landings with no bounce.

Comment

• I need to replace main retract gear on my Hawk. On Motion RC it shows Type D replacement that has no pin and it shows the replacement gear strut with a pin. My retract has a non-removable pin in it and my gear strut goes over this pin. Why is mine different and what do I have to do, buy new retract and strut???

Comment

• Good afternoon, I recently picked up a 70mm BAE Hawk and am trying to bind with a Spektrum AR631 reciever, and NX8 TX. Aside from most servos being reversed, I cannot get the plane to arm. It just beeps quickly. I tried reversing the throttle, it didnt beep fast but continually went through a series of short and long beeps, cant get this figured out for the life of me.

Comment

Working...
              X