Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinnetti That custom gear is sweet
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Mine arrived Saturday, damaged in shipping (ticket created).

I've noticed that recently FedEx has been banging up the boxes in shipping. The last 4 planes I've ordered all had box damage, 2 damaged the planes inside.

Some of the guys I fly with have also noticed that FedEx isn't as careful as they used to be.

I know this isn't Motion's fault, and I'm sure they are as frustrated as I am.

Anyway, be sure to carefully check and inspect everything when it arrives.

Comment

• It being a snow day here, I decided to work on my newly arrived He-111. I put 633 squadron on in the background and started on getting a wing setup.

​​​​​​When I purchased the model, I selected all the reccomended bits including the motors. The reccomended motors for the He-111 are Admiral 3520-950kv .15 size motors.

The He-111 instructions call for a .25 motor which is a problem because the motor mount is drilled to fit a .25 motor and the reccomended .15 motors cannot be screwed to the plate because the holes are not aligned.

The holes on the metal X mount that ships with the motor do not align with the pre drilled holes.

Either the proper X mount needs to be supplied or the motors that are reccomended and I purchased are not correct for the model.

Either way, I've created a support ticket and will.have to wait before getting back to work.

Comment

• There may be a problem with Motion's reccomended setup for this model. Be aware that the motors they reccomend are not what Blackhorse designed the He111 for.

​​​​​​The He111 calls for a .25 650-800W motor for each nacelle. For a total minimum of 1300W of power

Motion is selling and reccommending a .15 415W motor for each nacelle for a total of 815W of power.

The reccomended motors may not adequately power the model.

I have a support ticket in to resolve this.

Comment

• I have to say, I've been extremely disappointed in the customer service on my issue with my motors.

Instead of acknowledging a simple mistake, Motion's response was for me to fabricate a new motor mount.

I get this is a balsa arf, and there will be things I need to take care of. I already have made several fixes such as modifying the wing mount to accept the xwave retract, and other places where things didn't fit right.

Reccommending the wrong motors is not something I can fix with epoxy and a little spackle.

The manual clearly states use a min setup for .25 650W. Motion is selling a .15 415W motor that doesn't fit. Will it fly? Motions CS manager says it will and bugger off.

When a customer points out a simple error, and requests a simple remedy. Return of the unused incorrect motors for credit to purchase the correct motors, it should be a no brainier.

It is a no brainier.

The CS rep I was working with isn't the problem. He was doing his best.

​​​​​I have to say without a doubt, this is the first negative experience I've had with Motion. Frankly given my past experiences, I'm shocked.

I sincerely hope this is not a trend.

*Update*
            Shortly after posting this, I received an email from CS saying that I could return the motors at my expense for credit.

In the meantime, I had a spare motor for my Flightline Tigercat. It fits the existing mounts and at 650W is within the design spec from blackhorse. So I ordered a second one and that is what I'll fly the He111 with.

FlightLine 3748-600Kv Brushless Motor - MO137482 This motor is used primarily with the stock 3-blade propeller setup on FlightLine RC warbirds such as the P-38 Lightning and F7F Tigercat. It can be used with other aircraft with compatible specifications (see below). Note: The motor comes with Type A prop adapter. Featu

Comment

• Coming along nicely. I'm basing the paint on an He111 that flew antishipping missions in the Med. When the time comes for scale details, I'll be 3D printing a pair of torpedoes along with the guns and a better pilot.

​​​​​​Just a quick test fit for show and tell
              Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201031_165042267.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	283456
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
                Coming along nicely. I'm basing the paint on an He111 that flew antishipping missions in the Med. When the time comes for scale details, I'll be 3D printing a pair of torpedoes along with the guns and a better pilot.

If you like, I put up a control column on thingiverse that you can print out.

Comment

• So, I discovered something really annoying, and I'm not sure how I'm going to fix it.

I want to add a landing light in the wing.

I also want to be able to connect the wings easily like the B24 or Tigercat.

I also didn't want to reinvent the wheel. So I decided to use the control board from the Tigercat. This board supports the throttle for twin motors on the ribbon cable, and controls the landing light based on gear. Great, simple right?

Well no.

When I tested the setup on the bench, the xwave retracts would extend, and the light would go off. Retract the gear and the light turns on. Reversing in the transmitter doesn't matter. The two are out of phase.

So I thought I'd try a freewing retract and see what happens. It worked as intended. Gear down, light on etc.

I would have assumed this would be standardized, but I guess not.

On spektrum, if the gear channel is +100 the xwave is gear down. For freewing retracts -100 is gear down.

I don't know which is more standard, but the xwave feels more right in that the gear switch when down and away is by default +100 and more intuitive as gear down.

So frustrating.

So long story, now what?

I'm still looking for a clean wiring harness for transporting the wing that will work with a 6 channel receiver and support a working landing light. Any ideas?

I've thought about servo reversers but that's another thing that can and will fail.

​​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Spinnetti View Post

If you like, I put up a control column on thingiverse that you can print out.
                    Thank you I will. As good as my Prusa is, I'm going to wait for a resin printer. The elegoo Saturn has my attention.and once it is in stock I'll order one.

Your gear is also something I covet. My mom fell and was hospitalized a couple of weeks ago and I'm doing what work I can on the model to keep me sane with everything else going on.

Comment

• Gilatrout I had the same problem with the landing light activation and XWave retracts on the BH Do-335. What I wound-up doing is have the landing light come on when I activate the flaps instead. Just connected it using a Y from the receiver flap channel to the gear channel on the board to make the light come on and go out. A little wonky, but it works.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                        Gilatrout I had the same problem with the landing light activation and XWave retracts on the BH Do-335. What I wound-up doing is have the landing light come on when I activate the flaps instead. Just connected it using a Y from the receiver flap channel to the gear channel on the board to make the light come on and go out. A little wonky, but it works.
                        Thanks, this may be a decent workaround. One thing is I'm not entirely following the setup.

I connected a flap servo to the gear channel on the wing board. Then connected the receivers flap channel to the gear channel on the fuselage board.

This essentially converted my flap channel to two state. Even though the xmitter was saying move the flap a small amount, the board would communicate to the servo full deflection. Basically the boards gear channel appears to be an on off thing and does not use the xmitter setting for the gear channels on the board.

Comment

• Gilatrout Well, that makes it difficult. You might have to go with servo reversers between the wing boards and the retracts to get the light and gear to sync.

Just a FYI for future consideration... For quick connects between fuse and wings, I often use the multi connectors in the link. He will even custom make them to the lengths you need. His name is Eric and he does great work and ships fast. I'm currently using about 9 sets in various configuations. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Servo-Harness

Comment

• I've been slowly plugging away on the He-111. The covid lockdown means I can't just run out for a part here or there.

Anyway, I've come up with a set of landing gear I'm happy with.

I used some struts I found from a company called RC Aerodyne.

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	513
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	287804
                            I only needed the mains from the set. I didn't think to call to see if I could just order the mains alone, so I have an extra xtra nose strut for another project someday.

For the wheels I used an extra set I had for the flightline P-38.

After cutting the axle to size and installing new longer strut pins to fit the xwave retracts, I installed them in the plane.

Name:	PXL_20201125_235752003.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	287805

I'm still waiting for the prop adapters to come back in stock. In the meantime, I'll button up the wings and start work on detailing the cockpit some.

Very nice airplane and pleasure to work on

Comment

• Little more progress toward finishing this beauty.

The prop adapters finally came back in stock so I'll soon be buttoning up the wings and calling them done.

Landing light is installed. One bit of advice, don't just look for airplane accessories. The RC car guys had a light system perfect for landing lights that use regular receiver voltage.

The resin printer I've been waiting for all summer finally shipped. I managed to snag an elegoo Saturn before they insta-sold out. Thanks to Spinetti I've got a perfect control yoke. I've also printed a pilot, a commander, a gunner and two torpedos The MG-15s have been tricky and I'm still working on remixing the file to suit a model.

Comment

• Looks Great! Did you design the crew? I rescaled Tom Hunts MG15 and added a ring sight....

Comment

• Originally posted by Spinnetti View Post
                                  Looks Great! Did you design the crew? I rescaled Tom Hunts MG15 and added a ring sight....
                                  No, I don't have the knowledge on how to design figures. I wish I did. The crew is the ME109 pilot from cgtrader.

Don't recall who designed MG-15, but it was a full scale prop in multiple pieces, that I assembled in 3D Builder, then scaled it down in the slicer. When I get a good printable scalable design, I plan on uploading back to Thingiverse as a remix of the original.

Comment

• Ordinance update

Almost done with the torpedoes. The model for the torpedo came from a collection of WWI Austrio-Hungarian torpedos where I resized a suitable model to fit the plane.

The mount I custom designed and embedded a standard freewing attachment design so that I may remove the torpedoes for transport.

Next up is installing the mounting plate into the fuselage.

Name:	PXL_20201229_014620711.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	291872
                                    Attached Files
                                    Download files and build them with your 3D printer, laser cutter, or CNC. Thingiverse is a universe of things.

Comment

• Some winter storms has given us a bit of a build season, and so I've been working on the fine details of my He-111. I finally have a decent remix for the guns that I will post on Thingiverse at some point.

The dorsal gun position iss done, and the flight commander is painted. My painting skills are definitely lacking, and I need more practice.

Comment

• Looking good!

Comment

• Just ordered mine and it showed up today. Ordered up the flightline ta152 power system. used the motors, esc, propellers and spinner for that aircraft. I would like to add a nice landing gear system. does anyone sell a nice set or have a list of parts to put one together?

Comment

Working...
                                          X