Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    The white with the center painted dark is all plastic. All one piece the part of it that is painted is the only thing exposed thus is painted the surrounding area that is white is encapsulated in the foam thus cant be painted, however when being inserted in place inside the foam it needs plenty of glue so not to have it flop out like mine did.

Leave a comment:

• SoLongSidekick
    replied
    I don't see any glue anywhere. I'm so lost here. What I meant by "looking like it is prying loose" is attached.

I'm so lost. Perhaps that's another thing that could be solved by removing my P-38 from its box.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Ah yes, agreed

Leave a comment:

• Beeg
    replied
    Rifleman, I don't think they'd need carbon rods. They just need to be kept from moving and wallowing out the slot they're in. I'd just use an inexpensive bamboo skewer in each corner slathered with epoxy or something. Or, like I did just use a long narrow tipped syringe to inject epoxy around the perimeter of the firewall board. As long as the board doesn't slam back and forth in it's slot with throttle movement it shouldn't work itself loose.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Let me reaffirm motion is the best in customer satisfaction period! No one does it better than them! Thank you from the bottom of my heart, veterans helping veterans and hobbiest helping hobbiest! Trust me I'm looking forward to buying more from them!

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Always!

Leave a comment:

• Old Fart
    replied
    I'll have a green one as soon as they're back in stock. As usual - It's all Pat's fault! :)

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    The one in back was the one that failed, notice the lack of glue in comparison to the one still in place with proper amount of glue on the board. When I got to the motor that popped out the board wasn't even bonded to the foam at all but was infact cocked sideways in relation to how it should have been had it had the proper glue. What I might do next time is take and pop some holes through the board and foam and press some CF rods through to lock them down better and definitely much more secure. Plus it will take the worry away from if the glue is in place or not. It has me wanting to take a look at my tigercat as well now. To be honest, I still think Oxotnik and myself had freak accidents and by no means should be considered anything normal with flightline/freewing.
    and I think what you are noticing and thinking is the mount pulling away is indeed the cut wire relief. The one still in the foam is still firmly in place.

Leave a comment:

• SoLongSidekick
    replied
    Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
    So to prove my theory I cut the other boom front in half (since it was busted as well) to look at how it was glued, major difference.
    EDIT - Here's the photo that Rifleman posted so you don't have to go back to the last page to see it: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/filedata...photoid=141574

I'm trying to decipher what I'm seeing here. Why does it look like both mounting plates are not glued in flush? It looks like the right side is pulling away.

Jeez, losing a motor mount was my main concern after seeing so many videos and reports of it with this model. But now knowing that you don't even have to throw a prop blade to have it happen I'm even more worried. Luckily my motor mounts are still supported by packing material so I haven't had any mid-air incidents, thank god. After getting so much feedback from you guys saying that the model will definitely fly much better once unpacked and assembled I think I'm going to ground my P-38 until I can get that done. Any tips for reinforcing the firewall?

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    So to prove my theory I cut the other boom front in half (since it was busted as well) to look at how it was glued, major difference.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Yes! That looks similar to what mine does, I would like to think they would still glue it, just because even encapsulated, you dont want it to slowly work loose from throttle change. As torque is applied to foam it will slowly get compressed making the board loose. However if its glued well it will hold in place less likely to rotate under torque but rather the whole boom takes the shock rather than just the foam surrounding the board. What I'm thinking happened with our planes is the board slowly worked itself til it twisted enough to weaken the whole forward section of the boom, same as a perforations in a paper towel role. Once it finally reaches critical, off comes the motor.
    If that makes any since I guess. :Confused:

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    I found my post on my engine-loss failure. I guess that I only posted about it on RCG. Anyway, here's where I first reported my failure, with a photo of the boom with the missing engine. I later found my engine / bulkhead that'd dropped in the woods and there wasn't any glue on the bulkhead. As Beeg has said, I think that the plastic bulkhead is encapsulated in the foam, with minimal (maybe no) glue.

Anyway, here's the link to that post and photo on RCG: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=5604

Leave a comment:

• Beeg
    replied
    I'm not so sure the firewall isn't just molded in the foam and there may not be any glue to begin with. Might not be a bad idea to check before a failure of some sort but I've glued both of mine because of failures. Will definitely check when I get another one if I remember.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Copy that.

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    Nope. There was very little evidence of glue. I'm trying to find my post(s) about my failure. If I find it, I'll share it with you.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Indeed, that is why I put a ticket in. Did yours have ample amount of glue as mine did not?

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    Rifleman, same with mine. When the engine broke loose, I have not reason to suspect that a blade had been thrown or that the props were unbalanced.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
    My P-38 also lost an engine in flight, as in it simply fell off with no audible indication that a prop blade had been thrown. I'm flying along and I see the yellow spinner /boom segment fall to the ground. I glided in for a decent emergency landing. Two other times, I've had the back plate break and throw a prop blade. I keep my blades balanced and don't over tighten the prop blades. When the engine dropped off, the foam had broken around the plastic bulkhead. the foam is very thin around that bulkhead. When I repaired that engine, I inserted some bamboo rods (skewers) through the firewall and into the foam for some added strength. Did the same for the engine compartment of the engine that had not failed. I'd posted a description and photos of my failure and the subsequent repair, quite a while ago in this thread. I can probably find it, if anyone is interested.
    I wish I could pin point it to that, but it wasnt the prop. There wasnt any out of balance wobble in the air when it popped loose, so prop failure is ruled out 100%

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Man I know, this is the first time I've ever had this happen to me, as I always take really good care of my equipment.

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    My P-38 also lost an engine in flight, as in it simply fell off with no audible indication that a prop blade had been thrown. I'm flying along and I see the yellow spinner /boom segment fall to the ground. I glided in for a decent emergency landing. Two other times, I've had the back plate break and throw a prop blade. I keep my blades balanced and don't over tighten the prop blades. When the engine dropped off, the foam had broken around the plastic bulkhead. the foam is very thin around that bulkhead. When I repaired that engine, I inserted some bamboo rods (skewers) through the firewall and into the foam for some added strength. Did the same for the engine compartment of the engine that had not failed. I'd posted a description and photos of my failure and the subsequent repair, quite a while ago in this thread. I can probably find it, if anyone is interested.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X