X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
    Over on RCG there’s a lot of discussion on this topic, and the general consensus (with at least a few dissenters) is that this P-38 will fly much better once it’s assembled, rather than when it’s in the shipping box. But, that is RCG, so take it with a grain a salt. :)
    Now that's funny.

Mike
    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Are the firewalls pulling off the plane completely is that a warranty issue, yeah that just happened and got it into a glide but it didnt make it. Lost the entire firewall and every connected to it. Not happy :/

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
        Are the firewalls pulling off the plane completely is that a warranty issue, yeah that just happened and got it into a glide but it didnt make it. Lost the entire firewall and every connected to it. Not happy :/
        Once you lose a prop the out of balance causes so much vibration nothing will hold it together.
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• The prop was in place all 3 blades until it hit the ground, (the full motor and prop assembly)impact broke off part of the back plate of the spinner

Comment

• Like so...

Comment

• I want people to know I do think this was a one off incident and I still believe that flightline is a first rate quality product. As every other time with these planes when the first plane crashed the firewall was secure. My tigercat has a spotless record, and this one was great until this happened I guess it took a few flights to rear its hidden evil secret.:(

Comment

• I had two prop hub failures on my P-38. Fortunately I was able to throttle back quick enough so the motor didn’t completely depart the airplane. Only one incident caused enough damage that I had to replace some parts but I went back in and injected plenty of epoxy around each firewall with a fine point syringe. If it happens again it’ll probably tear off the entire front of the nacelle rather than just twisting out the firewall! :Scared:Both failures were my fault due to complacency.
                The FLRC P-38 is still one of my favorite planes. I need to buy another one as my original is getting a little worn even though I’ve replaced a few parts. Love this plane!

Comment

• Indeed, I just filled a ticket out for this one, and as stated when the unit pulled apart, the entire prop was intact and spinning smoothly not erratically as it would if the hub had failed. This was all due to lack of glue to the motor board.

Comment

• :(:Thinking:

Comment

• My P-38 also lost an engine in flight, as in it simply fell off with no audible indication that a prop blade had been thrown. I'm flying along and I see the yellow spinner /boom segment fall to the ground. I glided in for a decent emergency landing. Two other times, I've had the back plate break and throw a prop blade. I keep my blades balanced and don't over tighten the prop blades. When the engine dropped off, the foam had broken around the plastic bulkhead. the foam is very thin around that bulkhead. When I repaired that engine, I inserted some bamboo rods (skewers) through the firewall and into the foam for some added strength. Did the same for the engine compartment of the engine that had not failed. I'd posted a description and photos of my failure and the subsequent repair, quite a while ago in this thread. I can probably find it, if anyone is interested.
                      ---
                      Warbirder

Comment

• Man I know, this is the first time I've ever had this happen to me, as I always take really good care of my equipment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                          My P-38 also lost an engine in flight, as in it simply fell off with no audible indication that a prop blade had been thrown. I'm flying along and I see the yellow spinner /boom segment fall to the ground. I glided in for a decent emergency landing. Two other times, I've had the back plate break and throw a prop blade. I keep my blades balanced and don't over tighten the prop blades. When the engine dropped off, the foam had broken around the plastic bulkhead. the foam is very thin around that bulkhead. When I repaired that engine, I inserted some bamboo rods (skewers) through the firewall and into the foam for some added strength. Did the same for the engine compartment of the engine that had not failed. I'd posted a description and photos of my failure and the subsequent repair, quite a while ago in this thread. I can probably find it, if anyone is interested.
                          I wish I could pin point it to that, but it wasnt the prop. There wasnt any out of balance wobble in the air when it popped loose, so prop failure is ruled out 100%

Comment

• Rifleman, same with mine. When the engine broke loose, I have not reason to suspect that a blade had been thrown or that the props were unbalanced.
                            ---
                            Warbirder

Comment

• Indeed, that is why I put a ticket in. Did yours have ample amount of glue as mine did not?

Comment

• Nope. There was very little evidence of glue. I'm trying to find my post(s) about my failure. If I find it, I'll share it with you.
                                ---
                                Warbirder

Comment

• Copy that.

Comment

• I'm not so sure the firewall isn't just molded in the foam and there may not be any glue to begin with. Might not be a bad idea to check before a failure of some sort but I've glued both of mine because of failures. Will definitely check when I get another one if I remember.

Comment

• I found my post on my engine-loss failure. I guess that I only posted about it on RCG. Anyway, here's where I first reported my failure, with a photo of the boom with the missing engine. I later found my engine / bulkhead that'd dropped in the woods and there wasn't any glue on the bulkhead. As Beeg has said, I think that the plastic bulkhead is encapsulated in the foam, with minimal (maybe no) glue.

Anyway, here's the link to that post and photo on RCG: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=5604
                                      ---
                                      Warbirder

Comment

• Yes! That looks similar to what mine does, I would like to think they would still glue it, just because even encapsulated, you dont want it to slowly work loose from throttle change. As torque is applied to foam it will slowly get compressed making the board loose. However if its glued well it will hold in place less likely to rotate under torque but rather the whole boom takes the shock rather than just the foam surrounding the board. What I'm thinking happened with our planes is the board slowly worked itself til it twisted enough to weaken the whole forward section of the boom, same as a perforations in a paper towel role. Once it finally reaches critical, off comes the motor.
                                        If that makes any since I guess. :Confused:

Comment

• So to prove my theory I cut the other boom front in half (since it was busted as well) to look at how it was glued, major difference.

Comment

Working...
                                          X