• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted the rims and struts, basic assembly will start tomorrow evening
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by iampilot2 View Post
      Painted the rims and struts, basic assembly will start tomorrow evening
      Nice! Can't wait to see the finished product. Post some pics of it!

Comment

• Originally posted by iampilot2 View Post
        Oxotnik,
        actually I was missing the glue on foam tail plane extensions Thank you for your welcome and reply Been reading this thread from the start, only at page 30. Good information so far
        Hey Ima, welcome to the "Squawk". Post those pics of your project. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Kudos to MRC, yesterday I received the tail plane extensions. Actually they sent me the elevator replacement kit, now I have spare elevator.
          last Saturday I took the elevator to Lowe’s and had semi-gloss latex paint mixed to match green and gray colors. Those pint size samples are cheap and perfect for touch ups or thinning for spraying.
          Last night started painting all raw foam surfaces that can be seen after assembly. The paint matches amazingly well.
          No plans to go crazy with weathering at this time, save that for bad weather fun. Will post some pics.
          -Brad

Comment

• Hello fellow P-38 pilots. Received my green P-38 two days ago. Unboxed and inspected and began assembly today. I have received the P-38 version where the outer starboard and port wings have a green junction board and then attach with a ribbon cable to the center fuselage. I also purchased the upgraded landing gear struts. I had an issue with the Starboard outer wing attachment ribbon cable. After connecting all ribbon cables and extensions, I discovered that I had no power to the starboard wing; flap, aileron or the two lights on the starboard wing did not work. I troubleshot it down to the green junction board in the starboard wing. Anyone have issues with these green junction boards? I called MotionRC and spoke with Wayne. MotionRC does not stock these green junction boards as of yet, however, he offered me two options: 1. He could take a green junction board off one of their inventoried P-38's or 2. He could send me servo extensions to bypass and eliminate the green junction board. I opted to bypass the green junction board. Great customer support over there at MotionRC HANDS DOWN!!!!

Suspension Gear upgrade: Has anyone come across an issue after installing the suspension mains that they do not fully collapse leaving the gear doors partially open? Anyone have to cut foam out of the gear bay doors so the mains fully retract? Any help guys would be helpful before I start cutting the main retract bays.

Thanks, Joe

Comment

• Joe, the upgrade gear should be a drop-in replacement for the stock gear and should fit perfectly in the gear wells, without any mods.

Regarding junction boxes... they're all suspect, mostly due to bad solder joints. I've gotten to where I bypass all junction boxes for critical functions, such as ailerons, elevator, and rudder. I'll let gear and gear doors, and flaps, run the junction boxes/sequencers though.
              ---
              Warbirder

Comment

• Hello everyone! New to RC after years of wanting to but not able. Have been learning on a sim and with an Apprentice and just stepped up to the E-Flite P-47 with safe. Flying about 1/2 of every flight with safe off now. Still the fallback if I get in trouble.
                I’ve taken the typical route of many flyers in seeing my future in warbirds and buying before I know what I’m about! But not in actually flying them too soon preferring to build and learn the construction (and fixing!) techniques for foamies and most important, the electronics. I have several planes in boxes and on the bench with the idea I’ll have a very fun winter building and detailing and installing electronics. On page 52 of this thread and have an overflow of planned ‘things to do’ with my Green P-38 as well as an LX B-25, Seafire, & Tempest.
                Reading this thread I’m getting so pumped to build the P-38 and fly her late fall!! Gotta keep tempered and proceed slowly..! In fact, I had to put the P-47 in the corn last weekend! My estimation of battery time was not quite right as my instructor and I put her through more high power flight than previous flights. She survived with minimal damage!
                Tons of great info here and I felt it was time to jump in and be known. So looking forward to building and flying the Lightening. And am very thankful for all who have posted their builds and experiences. Coming from a modeling background and an ATC career I’m pretty equipped to transition into the hobby.
                Education (and practice!) is the key!

Comment

• Welcome to Hobby Squawk, FLTpilot! You're absolutely right, education and practice (and fun) is key.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by FLTpilot View Post
                    Hello everyone! New to RC after years of wanting to but not able. Have been learning on a sim and with an Apprentice and just stepped up to the E-Flite P-47 with safe. Flying about 1/2 of every flight with safe off now. Still the fallback if I get in trouble.
                    I’ve taken the typical route of many flyers in seeing my future in warbirds and buying before I know what I’m about! But not in actually flying them too soon preferring to build and learn the construction (and fixing!) techniques for foamies and most important, the electronics. I have several planes in boxes and on the bench with the idea I’ll have a very fun winter building and detailing and installing electronics. On page 52 of this thread and have an overflow of planned ‘things to do’ with my Green P-38 as well as an LX B-25, Seafire, & Tempest.
                    Reading this thread I’m getting so pumped to build the P-38 and fly her late fall!! Gotta keep tempered and proceed slowly..! In fact, I had to put the P-47 in the corn last weekend! My estimation of battery time was not quite right as my instructor and I put her through more high power flight than previous flights. She survived with minimal damage!
                    Tons of great info here and I felt it was time to jump in and be known. So looking forward to building and flying the Lightening. And am very thankful for all who have posted their builds and experiences. Coming from a modeling background and an ATC career I’m pretty equipped to transition into the hobby.
                    Education (and practice!) is the key!
                    The FlightLine P-38 is my favorite prop plane, out of the 60 or so planes that I have I. Just remember to keep your speed up with the P-38, as it is heavy for its size (and thus higher wing loading). Otherwise, the P-38 is very well behaved, and the heavier weight allows her to be flown easily on windy days.
                    ---
                    Warbirder

Comment

• Thank you Alpha (honored you'd respond :-) and Oxotnik! Soaking in all info! I read that time and again with many or the reviews and videos I'm watching. Keep speed on final...

Oh.....and have fun :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                        Joe, the upgrade gear should be a drop-in replacement for the stock gear and should fit perfectly in the gear wells, without any mods.

Regarding junction boxes... they're all suspect, mostly due to bad solder joints. I've gotten to where I bypass all junction boxes for critical functions, such as ailerons, elevator, and rudder. I'll let gear and gear doors, and flaps, run the junction boxes/sequencers though.
                        Oxotnik, Thanks for the input and I will by pass the green junction boards. As for the drop in suspension mains, mine are not sitting well in the gear bay on both Port and Starboard gear wells. They are hanging up on the elbow of the strut in the gear bay. I verified that they are installed correctly via MotionRC's upgrade strut video. I'll figure it out. I hope!!! LOL!!!

Comment

• Wonder if they are tweaked alittle out of line? Just enough from the factory or something?

Comment

• OK.... I'm on page 61 and a question pops up (One I remember, anyway....I have many questions!).... Discussion there is about flaps... Some had issues with inner flaps, rod lengths, etc. My question is this..... I seem to remember when I set-up in Seafire I just physically, with my fingers, moved the servo all the way rearward then attached the rods. Then when the time came I did adjustments with my DX8e and the screw adjusters on the rods to make them go full up. They were close as I remember from the git-go. Here many are speaking of using a servo tester or their TX to set the servo all the way back prior to attaching the rods. Why this as opposed to just moving the servo with your fingers? And bonus questions... I bought a servo tester as I felt I would use it but there are no directions...I suppose YouTube has something but while I'm here....How do I hook it up??

All the wheel and gear swapping is very interesting but I purchased the upgraded metal gear so when I build I'll use that. Theres probably info on them here but I haven't reached those pages yet. Any care to comment? Are they modified FMS or other gear? Would they benefit with different wheels? I fly off grass at our field.

How did Aros?? (I think) fit the screen in the rear radiators? Looks great and I'm planning that too....! A pattern I suppose but then there is the gluing part....

I've read echos thet the single wing wire connectors are not up to it... Maybe I purchased late enough in the cycle(s) that this is solved. Re-solder or replace?? And I just looked at mine... Is that another redesign? They look pretty sturdy to me??!!
                            Crap.... Now I'm gonna have to build... I ripped open the sealed plastic baggie...ugg... Nice touch, BTW. Sealed bags ;-)

I'm gonna add a gyro, I think/ Looking at the Hobby Eagle. Have a Lemon in the Seafire. She's flown around the build table so I could understand the theory and the different settings so I have no real experience with Lemon. But I like the AS3X receivers but SAFE looks too daunting for me at this point.

Sorry...rambling and asking more questions than I paid for at the beginning of this post....... :Silly:

Thanks for any reply!!

Comment

• servo tester, just plug in power source and servo, several modes useful, mid point and manual (servo trax knob)
                              strut upgrade helps with grass, no issues with my stock wires, allot have had luck with the as3x and lemon receivers though I don't use them
                              adjust the flap push rods so the flaps shut completely at the end of the travel, it is not necessary to move the servos.............:Whew:
                              rc flyin addict

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post
                                servo tester, just plug in power source and servo, several modes useful, mid point and manual (servo trax knob)
                                strut upgrade helps with grass, no issues with my stock wires, allot have had luck with the as3x and lemon receivers though I don't use them
                                adjust the flap push rods so the flaps shut completely at the end of the travel, it is not necessary to move the servos.............:Whew:
                                I looked at the servo tester and I guess I plug it on plane into the power connector from the ESC then it has three servo outputs which need no explanation. I was just confused as to how to power it. And thank you for the info! Some seem to suggest leaving the servo tester on for a time to burn in the servos and make sure they operate properly.
                                Im almost afraid to start building as the planes so big! Just build my hanger and it seems I need a bigger one already

Comment

• You can power from the esc, I use a separate wall wart to run it, just plug and go. No need to burn in anything, adjust the linkages and go. It's best to have the most servo throw you can for the given movement you need IE: inner hole near servo and outer hole near control surface, make the final throw adjustment in the tx. Doing so will provide the highest resolution and power from the servo. Don't worry there is always room for 1 more plane :)
                                  happy landings
                                  rc flyin addict

Comment

• Originally posted by FLTpilot View Post
                                    Hello everyone! New to RC after years of wanting to but not able.
                                    Welcome FTLPilot, It is never a matter of when just that ya did. Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                                      Joe, the upgrade gear should be a drop-in replacement for the stock gear and should fit perfectly in the gear wells, without any mods.

Loosened the strut on the mains and pulled them out about a 1/4 inch then re-tightened screws on the flat spots. Mains now retract all the way in the retract bay. I'm hoping MotionRC will have a resolve on the green junction board issue Monday.

Comment

• Im sure they will, they really work hard to make things right. A happy customer is a returning customer.

Comment

• They still had back issues!

And this YouTube video might be interesting to some. Its on the first supersonic jet that America developed (Which never flew) but the design engineer also designed the P-38 which they go into some detail on...... https://youtu.be/O3viiJ4g5G8

Comment

Working...
                                          X