Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhat, at distance, and with 50+ year old eyes. Just keep your eyes on it.

Comment

• Don't get any better at 60+ either, so trust your inputs! The E flite, and I imagine the Flightline is no better, can disappear pretty easily because of the camo paint job. Thankfully, the E flite has the invasion stripes on her undersides and I've seen some where the fellows have put them on the Flightline as well, just for visibility, as they were originally intended.

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• Here is some progress pictures of my #2 Spitfire Done in the Australian "Grey Nurse" livery
        Brandon Moon

Comment

• I also modified the wing saddle a bit to better accommodate the wing servo connections.

Used a piece of scrap 1/64 Polystyrene plastic to keep the wires away from the servo horns and linkage connections and prevent any chance of them getting tangled up in the servo horns while they are operating in flight.

I also removed the wooden servo tray and opened areas of it up to allow me to rout the rudder and elevator wires underneath it and folded back into the fuselage for a cleaner wire rout and installation...and also because I noticed that it was loose and discovered that there was very little glue (two little bitty spots) holding it in place.

This will better allow me to mount the sound system module when it arrives and gives a bit more room.

I went back and did this to my other first FL Spitfire as well.

Several ideas I did on this Spitty...I will be going back and doing on my other one as well.
          Brandon Moon

Comment

• Just got through changing out the Flight Line Spitfire tires for the new tires from the E-flite Spitfire. No modification needed, but you do need to remove the back axle washers and trim the built in stand off molded on to the back of the E-flite wheels. I also trimmed off the the three little nubs on the other side of the wheel to better fit the wheel collar on. They come molded in white, I painted mine up silver.

Also replaced the tail wheel and used the one from the E-flite Spitfire...it's slightly smaller at 1.25 that the Stock FL wheel at 1.40

Also used a little heat to bend the Wheel doors to close better and flush to the wing.
            Brandon Moon

Comment

• Here is also some pictures of the "Manual opening canopy" I did on my first Spitfire. These are the canopy opening pieces from the 1400mm FMS P-51 Mustang. Slightly modified and shortened to fit this plane.
              Brandon Moon

Comment

• Found some old material and miniature Louvers I had back from the days of Balsa and frame up building and decided to revamp the radiators.

The cloth behind the Louvers is breathable Speaker cabinet covering. So Air will still pass through without creating a lot of drag.

I also added the RH Scoop to the hatch cover I noticed on pictures of the real plane which will also add air cooling to the battery

I am Also contemplating mounting an ESS Air Sound system with the speakers behind the louvers in the scoops?
                Brandon Moon

Comment

• Gorgeous plane!
                  TiredIron Aviation
                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• That looks awesome Brandon, and I can appreciate the red nose! I know with Shangrila, sometimes that's the only thing you can see. instead of repainting it green or white, I polished it up with Maquire's Plastex so it glows, of course her nickname is Rudolph.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Cool stuff man. Nice work.

Comment

• hi guys, i have put on at least 100 flights this summer with this model. i have been using the admiral 4s 3000 packs and get nearly 7 min. with 3.70 per cell . i am very impressed with just how slow i can bring this model in with full flaps deployed. low level flybys are very steady and get allot of comments @ the local electric field.how stout are the landing gear? i took off from the parking lot @ the local field as there was no one there and who would know. there is a steel sewer grate in the middle of the lot and i happened to drop my gear through the slots on take off and ripped both of the retracts out of the wing! i cut the throttle and bellied it in with both retracts hanging by their servo leads. it ripped them out clean and did not bend them a bit. i glued them back in,tucked the wires in and aside from a few scrapes on the one air scoop no one even knows, except you all now.
                        this has been a great go to model for this summer very aerobatic and just stunning to watch. and tough.
                        AKA meltor

Comment

• Jagd - no dought on the stout. I fly from a dirt runway, and although it's fairly smooth, still kind of rough on the gear with some kits. No problems so far with this model.

Comment

• That's no doubt. Jeez

Comment

• Feeling guilty. Was stalking the SD list when up popped the FL Spitfire with "control horns torn from foam" and minor dents and dings. After in and out of the cart 3 times, said no and shut it down for the night, fully expecting it to be gone in the am. Maybe I was too stupid, or just too over confident in my repair ability, but I snapped it up the next day. Arrived yesterday. MRC did a great job packaging it up minus original box! Did you ship the wrong plane? How did this retum get past the staff? They must all have one already. Two minor scratches, two finger dents near the tail, no torn foam or horn damage. Hope you don't want it back ;-) Thanks for the great deal, think I'll play the lottery tonight.

Comment

• Has anyone flown the Flight Line Spit off of grass that is slightly longer than 1" and ground that is a little rough (as the web page suggests 1" or shorter and smooth ground). I would like a Spitfire in my hangar and prefer the power and look of the Flight Line version over the E-Flite version, but the E-Flite version reportedly has bigger wheels. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Comment

• Brandon did the wheel conversion above. I have definitely flown from and landed on rough ground, both planes. Pretty smooth dirt road, but still plenty of rocks. No trouble with either set of gear so far. Don't know if the kits spare parts pages list the wheel dimensions, might be worth checking out. I'll have them out tomorrow, I can check measurements then if you still don't have an answer.

Comment

• Can't speak to grass landings

Comment

• Thanks Westsider. Do you prefer one of the planes over the other? Any input is welcome. I will only have room for one Spit in my hangar and want to make an informed decision.

Comment

• If it is your first mid-sized warbird, and you have an 8 channel + transmitter, E-Flight with Safe Select is a great choice. Some die-hard Mustang or Corsair fans may disagree. If you are a solid intermediate pilot the best choice beween these two planes, to me - no question, the FlightLine Spitfire is faster and more solid in the air. Out performs E-Flite. Gotta fly! Good luck.

Comment

• I agree, if this is you first Warbird, then its the route to go.

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X