You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downwindleg/Aros ESM 50cc F4U Corsair Build (Electric Conversion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh you know how to say all the right things Brad! LOL

I would LOVE functional cowl flaps! I don't know if I have the mechanical ability to make it happen but I sure wouldn't mind looking into it!

To show how excited I am for this model I have been tweaking the Corsair model in Aerofly RC7 to prepare for her. I know it's not exactly the same thing but it's fun all the same! :)

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I have an idea for ya if you don't come up with anything

Comment

Please share!
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

God Brad, he's foaming at the mouth now!! Are you trying to give him a heart attack:)
          BTW, if for some reason he does, I'll take it off your hands:Cool:

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

You had better beat me to his house.:devious
            Dewey l

Comment

Knowing what your field name is I won't bet against ya getting there first 'CJ' ;) :Not-Talking:
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I'll draw it up and post it soon as I'm home. It basically uses a thin piano wire connected up on both ends of a double end servo arm, so when the arm pushes out the wire the circle widens thus opening the cowl flaps. Just add small blocks inside the flaps and hinge them with pin hinges. They should open nice smooth and evenly. Kinda the same idea how mechanical landing gear works

Comment

Very cool! I would appreciate any diagram. Thanks!
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

The type I was referring to involved a set of "spokes" if you will radiating out from a central servo that rotates in plane with the firewall and connected by ball links,hinge points, or clevises at the inside of each flap section. In the closed position, the spokes are set about 15-20 degrees backwards,or counter clockwise. When the servo is actuated, slowly, the spokes "unwind" on the servo wheel thus lengthenng the spokes and opening the cowl flap sections. The individual cowl flap sections would be gathered into groups just like the real thing but I would have to sketch that out which I'm not real good at. Brad

Comment

On this particular cowling setup, the "spoke' idea wouldn't work easily because of that big honkin' motor mount tube sticking through the firewall. However, because the cowling is mounted to the fuselage by way of a 1/8" ply backplate with lightning holes attached to the cowling just ahead of the cowl flaps, you could mount 4 or 6 mini servos around the perimeter of the backplate to accomplish the same result...........just thinkin' out loud, Brad P.S. It's pretty handy having the plane hear for the moment as a reference.

Comment

Here's a rough sketch of how I would do it

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                          Here's a rough sketch of how I would do it
                          Interesting, that's a little bit like the real setup except that the real one is cable operated with the flaps being spring loaded to stay open and the cable is like a "purse string" cinching up the flaps. I like your idea but I would try it out on some sort of mockup to make sure the geometry and friction didn't hang it up since it appears that the piano wire is both pulling in and pushing out on the circumference. BTW did that wing ever "slip the surly bonds" ? Brad

Comment

Thanks for the sketch...I can see how that could work...Definitely something to noodle over for sure! It wouldn't be easy, especially for someone with my build skills but it sure would be sweet to have working cowl flaps!
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Interesting, that's a little bit like the real setup except that the real one is cable operated with the flaps being spring loaded to stay open and the cable is like a "purse string" cinching up the flaps. I like your idea but I would try it out on some sort of mockup to make sure the geometry and friction didn't hang it up since it appears that the piano wire is both pulling in and pushing out on the circumference. BTW did that wing ever "slip the surly bonds" ? Brad
                              Gonna try this weekend. Last weekend was booked up. And as always when it's booked the weather is perfect. Lol. On the wire, I figure as long as you don't kink it, that should work ok. Heck It would really look scale for sure

Comment

I know this is total "cart in front of the horse(power)" stuff but I am debating what livery to use. I am thinking Pappy's 883 "Martha"...I am not crazy about the drastic blue contrast in the stock model (mainly the tail, I like the tail to be a little darker blue)...But I am not oppossed to a non-pappy livery, but I am 95% sure I am going to go with a Pappy livery since I have my eye on that 1/5 scale Pappy pilot from Best Pilots. Thoughts?

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Yeah, I like the tri color scheme myself but the red around the insignia was not my favorite. It was something that the navy tried for a short while but got rid of it after realizing the hard way that if a nervous american anti aircraft gunner on a ship saw anything even remotely looking like a "meatball" aka a hino maru they would shoot first and ask questions later. No bueno. The ESM Corsair has the red because it matches the original Marines Dream livery. Somewhere is a black and white picture of the "most successful" F4U 1A Corsair in the pacific on some south pacific island with palm trees all around. It was a beauty!!! I'll try to locate it. Brad

Comment

Awesome thanks Brad! Yeah I don't like that red around the stars and bars either.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

So if you go to most successful F4U 1-A #122 on pinterest you will see the one I was talking about. So many kills they were running out of room on the side of the fuselage!! Also, if your interested, I will loan you a book for reference called The Black Sheep by Bruce Gamble. It is a definitive account of Marine Fighting Squadron VMF 214 with lots of pics of Pappy and the squadron. Incidently, it was signed by the author and all of the surviving members of the Black Sheep including one of their mechanics as of 2002. Just got lucky and met them at a squadron reunion at the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field. :Cool:Brad

Comment

Wow, thank you! I don't know about loaning it to me I would be petrified if something happened to it! I would love to peruse through it when I see you next month though?? I will check out the pinterest Corsair as well. Appreciate the info as always Brad!
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

There are so many variations online of Martha...If I do go with that one I would paint it similar to this...No red, muted blues...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2316-8.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	75138

Click image for larger version

Name:	d1262aaae8580f67f3cf110f3b37938e.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	75139
                                          My YouTube RC videos: