You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downwindleg/Aros ESM 50cc F4U Corsair Build (Electric Conversion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hear you, I love that place !
    Every time we go to Seattle, the wife patiently lets me wander and drool and dream.
    I still love staring at that Razorback P-47, what an incredible plane in person, it really is huge, then you look at the Spitfire and you can see why the British weren't fond of it.

Their mistake !

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Oh I know I love standing right next to the nose of the Jug! What a prop! What a nose! What an aircraft! I'm still trying to figure out if I can climb up on that hanging P-38 and sit in the cockpit. LOL
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Yeah that's pretty cool too, imagine having a P-38 dangling from your ceiling, nice to see that P-51 too, got some great shots of it from the second floor where you can look straight down onto the cockpit. Are they allowing people in the B-17 ??

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Yep, my mom and I got to take a tour through it a couple years ago. Just incredible to think about the young kids that were flying in that bird in war with those conditions. Here's a few shots...

Click image for larger version

Name:	outside2.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	76769

Name:	cockpit1.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	76770

Name:	IMG_20110813_135500.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	76771

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	76772
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Here's some shots I've taken of the Corsair(s)...

Click image for larger version  Name:	f4u.jpg Views:	1 Size:	206.5 KB ID:	76774

Click image for larger version  Name:	f4u2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	311.4 KB ID:	76775

Click image for larger version  Name:	f4u3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	331.3 KB ID:	76776

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20130510_133245.jpg Views:	1 Size:	448.2 KB ID:	76777

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20130510_130130.jpg Views:	1 Size:	434.7 KB ID:	76778

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20130510_134124.jpg Views:	1 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	76779

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Where was this located? I've been to the pongo VA ww2 museum and man that was a treat. They had just finished the mosquito at the time

Comment

• Boeing Field is on the South end of Seattle Washington, I'll have to see if I can dig up some of the pics I have. They have a huge rotunda with the likes of that Super Corsair and a long nose FW-190, an SR 71 and a DC-3 hanging from the ceiling, just an amazing place!
                Aros, I was in the B-17 when it came up to Abbotsford for the Airshow when it was still in water bomber config. Completely stripped out, but I did manage to squeeze into the nose compartment to take a pic, just about exactly where you took yours. I don't know if I still have them, but I do have the certificate that I bought to help restore her.
                The last time I saw her was when she had just returned from England where she was used to film Memphis Belle. She was still in her warpaint and man she looked rough til you got close and saw it was all done with paint. The interior was still stripped out.
                Then I got in touch with the lead mechanic a few times to visit her when she was in the hangar at Boeing where she was originally made, but could never get the days lined up to see her.
                So it's great to see she complete and open for viewing, thanks for posting that.

BTW, that Corsair sat in the bottom of Puget Sound for decades before they dragged her up, I remember seeing that on the news, I couldn't believe it was the same plane.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• That's awesome Grossman! It was a real treat to get to walk through her that day. Sorry, please indulge my nerdy SR-71 side...One small friendly correction...It's not an SR-71 on display, it's a very rare MD-21 which I believe is the only one on display anywhere. Pretty cool! From Wiki...

The D-21 was initially designed to be launched from the back of a M-21 carrier aircraft, a variant of the Lockheed A-12 aircraft. Development began in October 1962. Originally known by the Lockheed designation Q-12, the drone was intended for reconnaissance deep in enemy airspace. The D-21 was designed to carry a single high-resolution photographic camera over a preprogrammed path, then release the camera module into the air for retrieval, after which the drone would self-destruct. Following a fatal accident when launched from an M-21, the D-21 was modified to be launched from a Boeing B-52 Stratofortress. Several test flights were made, followed by four unsuccessful operational D-21 flights over the People's Republic of China, and the program was canceled in 1971.

As luck would have it, I haven't been able to climb into that cockpit either but I did manage to sit in an actual (albeit cutout) one that is set up just feet away...
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20130510_130438.jpg Views:	1 Size:	525.4 KB ID:	76817
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                    Boeing Field is on the South end of Seattle Washington, I'll have to see if I can dig up some of the pics I have. They have a huge rotunda with the likes of that Super Corsair and a long nose FW-190, an SR 71 and a DC-3 hanging from the ceiling, just an amazing place!
                    Aros, I was in the B-17 when it came up to Abbotsford for the Airshow when it was still in water bomber config. Completely stripped out, but I did manage to squeeze into the nose compartment to take a pic, just about exactly where you took yours. I don't know if I still have them, but I do have the certificate that I bought to help restore her.
                    The last time I saw her was when she had just returned from England where she was used to film Memphis Belle. She was still in her warpaint and man she looked rough til you got close and saw it was all done with paint. The interior was still stripped out.
                    Then I got in touch with the lead mechanic a few times to visit her when she was in the hangar at Boeing where she was originally made, but could never get the days lined up to see her.
                    So it's great to see she complete and open for viewing, thanks for posting that.

BTW, that Corsair sat in the bottom of Puget Sound for decades before they dragged her up, I remember seeing that on the news, I couldn't believe it was the same plane.

Grossman56
                    Actually that Corsair came out of Lake Washington from a training mishap decades ago. It was restored by a company in Idaho called Airpower Unlimited. They have done many Corsair restorations including the one at the Olympic Flight Museum. Their workmanship is phenomenal !!! They strip them down to basic sub assemblies and, after cleaning, replacing as needed and painting, put it all back together. You can check out their facility on line. One of their restorations won grand champion at Oshkosh and Reno a few years ago..........got lots of pictures if anyone wants to see them. Brad

Comment

• Hey Aros, you look like you belong in that cockpit!!! Great shot for sure although if it had been a Corsair?????? Brad

Comment

• AW, ok, it's been awhile since I saw it on the news and OGB is kicking (old guy brain). Still, I was totally in awe of that plane when I saw the quality of the restoration, unbelievable!!
                        Anyone in the area, its a definite stopping place, plan for a day there. Even then the wife usually has to drag me out.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                          AW, ok, it's been awhile since I saw it on the news and OGB is kicking (old guy brain). Still, I was totally in awe of that plane when I saw the quality of the restoration, unbelievable!!
                          Anyone in the area, its a definite stopping place, plan for a day there. Even then the wife usually has to drag me out.

Grossman56
                          Hey Grossman56, I wasn't correcting you just to be right as is often the case in these forums. Just clarifying and adding some more information for anyone interested in furthering their knowledge base on Corsairs. It's clear to me that in fact your OGB is still functioning quite well. Brad

Comment

• I was gonna ask what OGB stood for but think I figured it out though I have one myself...
                            Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Hey Grossman56, I wasn't correcting you just to be right as is often the case in these forums. Just clarifying and adding some more information for anyone interested in furthering their knowledge base on Corsairs. It's clear to me that in fact your OGB is still functioning quite well. Brad
                              I didn't take it that way at all, don't worry, I'll just file that in the memory banks so I know where it actually came from. Still that restoration job is one we can only dream of. Todd, I'm sure yours is going to look as great!!
                              BTW, I wonder if you could arrange to get a picture with yours in front of it??

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• That would be sweet! I know they host an annual R/C model exhibit...That would be a great model to bring!
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Speaking of corsairs.... the sound gives me goosebumps lol

Comment

• Beautiful! What a glorious sound, what a glorious profile! The takeoff reminds me that I plan on staggering the gear like the full scale as well. Thanks Shirty! If I wasn't excited enough, now I'm really in overdrive! :)
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• The Corsair is such a beautiful plane. Hint hint flightline/motion. (1700mm ish would be good to match the big 109 you're also going to manufacture for me). :)

Comment

• Ha, I like the way you think there Shirty as I too would love to see a giant scale 109 with that "New Gen" touch. I appreciate FMS for being the only foam manufacturer to deliver a decent sized EPO Corsair over the past several years but she's long in the tooth and there are several scale and power discrepancies I would love to see FW/FlightLine RC expand upon. One of my pet peeves is when a manufacturer takes the time to develop a scale-ish mold of the Corsair with a good profile and then they miss with something as obvious as leading edge curved flap surfaces. The right angled leading edge flap surfaces is ALMOST as bad as no flaps at all on a Corsair.

It's not like giving it that final scale appeal touch would send the mold over the edge in cost like some intricate engineering mechanism. But I digress, lol...

I am hoping a giant scale Freewing/FlightLine RC Corsair is in our future. If so, she will be worthy of my stupid nerdy nit picks. LOL
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Yeah If you've ever watched some of the carrier landings of the Corsair swinging into that final turn, with the LSO giving the pilot the cut, there is nothing prettier . It looks like a bird of prey swooping in to land with those segmented flaps and fully extended mains.........pure poetry. With a two meter Corsair, that size would lend itself to the kind of rounded leading edge control surface/ flap detail that all of us Corsair nuts crave:Drooling:. Don't mean to beat a dead horse but.......well, maybe another whack or two wouldn't hurt. Brad

Comment

Working...
                                          X