Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downwindleg/Aros ESM 50cc F4U Corsair Build (Electric Conversion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 days!!!!

Not that I am excited or anything. :Silly:
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• lol :Cool:

Comment

• Wow, met with Todd and his friend Chris today, broke the ice and made the exchange. They got a chance to see the inner sanctom and the Corsair is now in their able hands. They were nice enough to join me and some of the fly guys down at my field after. It was a great day down there considering it was overcast and I elected not to fly any of my warbirds in this light ....just the fun cub which Todd enjoyed flying too. Todd did fly the Avanti several times and showed me a thing or two about EDFs and his friend Chris had a plane that was even faster...........TRACERS!!!! Nice to finally meet Todd and Chris and hoping they might make it back tommorow..........weather permitting. The stage has been set for volume two of the completion of that F4U Corsair and everything my gut told me about Todd is true. A very smart and personable guy with a great sense of humor and a joy to hang out with. Brad

Comment

• Just getting settled back on the "main land". My buddy and I had a fantastic time with our families, and Brad, I can't thank you enough for trusting your "Queen" with me from here on out. Thank you for your hospitality. We had a great time flying at your awesome "field of dreams"! I was honored that you let me put on your priceless crew jacket with Pappy's crew signatures. I am really bummed out as I discovered today I have quite a few photos missing from my phone from our trip, including the ones I took at your place. My daughter was playing on my phone yesterday and I have a sneaking suspicion...Grrr...Kids!

When we first walked in to the room where the Corsair was there was a truly "Holy Sh*t!" moment when I realized just how big she is! A momentary panic attack ensued, wondering if I could get her to fit in the car! Luckily it worked out. Chris and I spent that evening tinkering around with it like two boys on christmas morning, dreaming of the possibilities. I cannot wait to get her finished up and make the trip back to your place for the maiden! (I told Brad it only seemed right to maiden her at his great grass field if he wouldn't mind). Sorry it didn't work out to meet up with you and your wife for dinner Sunday night, that would have been great. Turned out we ended up eating a late dinner at Kung Fu Pizza of all places!

I wanted some surf and turf or a nice seafood meal but the kids won out with pizza on the brain. :Silly:

Can't wait to come back for the maiden! Thanks again for everything Brad!
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• You're so welcome Todd and Chris. Enjoyed every minute of you guys being here. In my little world on San Juan Island, even among the guys who fly with me at my field, I am kind of the "scale nut" who spends inordinate amounts of time on big complex planes I don't often finish..........mostly because I want them to be at least near perfect. So, for you guys to come up here and show my group that there are other "scale nuts" out there may have caused a few happy ripples across my pond! Sorry to hear about the pictures but I think Chris may have snapped one or two hopefully. Also, I was blown away and humbled when you said you wanted to bring the completed F4U Corsair all the way back up here to my little field to maiden it!!! It just doesn't get any better. I dare say there will be many more photo ops on your return by many other fly guys. Hope the completion of the Ubird goes well and that others can either contribute to or learn from this collective effort. Your friend, Brad

Comment

• A little size perspective...Here she is next to the Avanti... :)

Click image for larger version

Name:	home.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	626.7 KB
ID:	82183
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Very cool, so is Chris going to work on the plane at your place with you or is he going to work on it elsewhere? Also, I thought he snapped a shot or two of us in the hobby room at my place.......or was that your phone?

Comment

• Unfortunately that was my phone. We'll have to do a redo when I come back over for the maiden. :)

Chris is going to be finishing the build at his place. While his garage isn't any bigger than mine, he has a work bench and all the tools he needs. I hope to bring it over to him this weekend if possible but I need to find out his schedule. In the meantime I started working on the dummy radial. Not sure how I am going to fit it in the cowl though with those formers in the back? Thoughts?
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Since the back of the cowl is somewhat bigger in circumference than the front, you might be able to cut a slot through the former, hopefully just on one side, to slide the dummy radial through perpendicular to it's final resting spot. You could always reglue that section of former later. I would definitely do a test fit with cardboard or something first. Brad

Comment

• That thing is huge!! I can't wait to see it once you're finished. In the mean time, thought you might enjoy this video:

Comment

• Good idea Brad I will try that. And that CARF is amazing!! Wow!! The ultimate RC Corsair...The detailing is superb. I need to learn how to do that and pronto for this girl...I need a bigger bank account (and hangar, and a trailer, and...and...and...) LOL
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hek with it just get a tractor trailor. Man you are one lucky dude. Im thinking of getting the one size down but my money's waiting on the 1600mm spitfire but im getting real itchy for a bigger Corsair than what i have in the hanget.:)
                          Dewey l

Comment

• Yes I am lucky indeed! More than you know, actually. The deal Brad gave me was simply too good to pass up and I am honored and humbled he would sell it to me for the price he did. It was only one of several reasons I felt it was the right thing to do to bring her back to his field for the maiden.

While I wait for the rest of the build to begin once Chris' schedule is settled, I am going to focus my attention on the dummy radial and oil cooler intakes. For the latter I plan on getting them as scale as possible. The top photo below is the way the stock coolers look before any modifications. The photo below that is of the CARF Corsair from the video F106 posted above. That's what I am going for. I need to figure out what material to use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	coolers.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	82282

I will likely cut out the entire section and build some kind of drop in replacement. Plus it will be easier to work on the replacement if it is something I can drop in over working on the wing itself.
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I had the same issue with my 20CC in wanting more detailed oil coolers. A very generous RCgroups member (Redhood) actually made the 3D models, and printed me some superbly detailed oil coolers. I'll post a photo tomorrow after work. I'm sure if you contact him, he would be willing to rescale them to your size.

Comment

• Oh that would be fantastic! Thanks for the intel!
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I found his blog...These are very nice! I sent him a PM to inquire about them. Hope to hear back.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Wow, those parts are awesome. Even seems to have holes in the screen for the oil cooler. Brad

Comment

• I have been in contact with him and he's agreed to make them for me. Sweet! I am going to cut out one of the stock coolers and send it to him so he can get the size right. Thanks again F106 for the hook up!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Just going from memory but it almost seemed like the stock coolers were a drop in of sorts as well.

Comment

• Okay I'll check for any kind of seam...And so it begins! :)
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X