You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downwindleg/Aros ESM 50cc F4U Corsair Build (Electric Conversion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm with ya! I would love to see a 2M foam super scale Corsair! You're right, there's nothing that matches the Corsair dirty profile on final. Marvelous!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	77317
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Yes!
      Sponsored by:

ADVOCARE

Comment

• BTW Aros, in that picture you posted, which is awesome, if you look closely you will see a rod outboard and parallel to each main oleo. That rod actually pulls the oleo up from being fully extended as it comes up so that it fits in the wheel bay. As you no doubt know, the gear had to be long enough to give that big honkin' 13 '-2" prop some ground clearance. So that required some unusual engineering to get the strut to fit within the chord of the wing. Just some more bent wing trivia. Brad

Comment

• That's a great bit of trivia...That prop was massive! That's why I hated seeing such a goofy small prop on the FMS 1700mm...Drove me nuts, lol!
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
            That's a great bit of trivia...That prop was massive! That's why I hated seeing such a goofy small prop on the FMS 1700mm...Drove me nuts, lol!
            Same for the 1500 Razor......drove me :wacky. Did you try my motor setup with the HSD Raider prop yet??
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Completely agree as well. I have modded too many planes to get the diameter right, would be really nice to see it done correctly the first time. I modded my 1500 Razor, 1200mm Sea Fury, 1100mm Corsair, 1100mm P-47, 1875mm B-17, 1400mm Hellcat, and 980mm P-39 to get the scale diameter correct or very close.

Comment

• That's got to be one of the next scale frontiers with foam warbirds. Scale-sized props! Or at least much closer to scale than they have been. I realize that it's not as simple as the manufacturer putting a larger prop in the box, as the power systems themselves would have to be more powerful hence higher price points (not to mention ground clearance issues with some taildraggers) but I know most people would gladly pay a higher price for a scale-sized prop. Had FMS come out with a 1700mm Corsair with an upgraded power system and scale prop, it would never stay in stock.

OV10, I never got a chance. I ended up selling her to fund another project. I fully plan on snagging another eventually and doing your motor setup so I can take that HSD prop off my wall that is now collecting dust and actually put it to use!
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Ya'know, it was pretty cool when I converted to electrics years ago and they started coming out with the 3 and 4 blade props because they looked so much better than the gas 2 blades. But the obvious next step would be making those props more dimensionally scale. I'm not sure you would even have to increase the power much to have a more scale sized prop. It's usually just a matter of choosing a motor with a lower kv to slow the bigger prop down to keep the desired thrust. Hope it happens soon. Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                    Ya'know, it was pretty cool when I converted to electrics years ago and they started coming out with the 3 and 4 blade props because they looked so much better than the gas 2 blades. But the obvious next step would be making those props more dimensionally scale. I'm not sure you would even have to increase the power much to have a more scale sized prop. It's usually just a matter of choosing a motor with a lower kv to slow the bigger prop down to keep the desired thrust. Hope it happens soon. Brad
                    Totally concur.......that's exactly what I did with the Razor. 2 inch bigger prop, equiv can sized motor but 100kV higher using a 4S versus 6S.
                    These OEM's can do the scale size props without reinventing the wheel on power plants and higher costs.
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• OV10 would you mind sending me a link to that motor so I can snag it when I grab another Razorback? Appreciate it!
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I'm with ya! I would love to see a 2M foam super scale Corsair! You're right, there's nothing that matches the Corsair dirty profile on final. Marvelous!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	77317
                        HMMMM, lets see, how many days 'til Father's Day weekend? Finally, I get to tease you a little bit:) Your Friend Brad

Comment

• BTW Aros, I just remembered a guy I met years ago at a Scale Masters Qualifier had a very cool setup for functional cowl flaps which in this case were temperature activated. His name is Earl Aune and he lives down around Portland. Just type in his name and functional cowl flaps and you will get lots of info. He has had numerous Corsairs over the years that have won at Scale Masters as well as AMA events. He is a great guy. Brad

Comment

• How many days indeed!! (24 but who's counting?) LOL

Temperature-activated cowl flaps? I am officially intrigued! Thanks for his info, I will go see what I can find!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• He also has a setup for a functional tail hook and folding wings...........just sayin' Brad........ sleep well tonight :)

Comment

OV10 would you mind sending me a link to that motor so I can snag it when I grab another Razorback? Appreciate it!
                                Sure can, fortunately I know exactly what motors are in all the FMS birds but it would have been easier to find it in the Electronics/Motors section hint-hint ;)
                                At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Here's the rest of the stuff you'll need that I mentioned to ya earlier also.
                                Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Thanks OV10, I've bookmarked it this time. ;)

Brad, I only saw detailed info on Earl's cool functional tail hook/wheel mech...Saw some photos of his sweet 75" wing-fold Corsair too. That is so sweet having functional cowl flaps based off the motor temps!
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hey Aros, try looking up Oregon Scale Aviation Thermacowl. I forgot that Earl uses O S A for his corsair inventions. Also there is a discussion and instructions to make operational cowl flaps made easy on RC Universe under Hennings Topflite GS . There is a video of them working as well....similar to our departed friend in California. Brad

Comment

• Thanks Brad, always appreciate the intel! This mod is so far above my skillset but I'm excited to give it a go. Both to honor Don and this iconic warbird.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• To help with the lull until I get her in my hands...Pardon the jeu de mots. LOL Click image for larger version  Name:	29d68f2278a1d7df114f3c38f67b5fd3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	77641
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Good one...........I love puns, brad

Comment

Working...
                                          X