X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dweb4 View Post
    Has anyone had problem with the wing retract mount breaking. I was taxing on the runway and when I took off the right wing retract got hung up. Once on the ground I noticed the plate was broken and it allowed the retract to shift hitting the wing. I cannot find the plate I have to reorder a whole new right wing. I'm looking to expoy the mount or try to reinforce it with some wood. Any thoughts I'd appreciate.
    at the end of last year I had to cycle the lg several times to get them both to come down. turned out that it was the right wing retract mount (plastic) was no longer glued in and the mount would hang by the two screws mounting it to the top of the wing and the retract hitting the wheel well while I flew. once I knew what the problem was I took those two screws out and the plastic part came right out. the next question was what to glue?

the purpose for the long strap forward of the retract pocket was an attempt to allow the plastic to move without exceeding its plastic limit. so I recognized that gluing that in would not be good, then the question became where to put the glue? mine had damage on the aft part of the mount, it had cracked right at the edges of the aft ear. I recognize this as a high stress area once the retract gets slammed into the socket on every landing. I was able to push it back into place, I did not glue it together because it happened because the foam under it was giving and putting a higher stress on the area not supported by the lg ear and I recognized I needed to support it from the foam side so I let that glue rejoin it.

I put 15 minute epoxy in the aft lg well, on the aft lg ledge and on the wing surface and pushed the mount in place with tape over the screw holes where I epoxied. then put the two screws in to mount it to the front anchor to the top of the wing. once the glue in my mixing cup started to get hard I put the retract in and screwed it in (mistake!). once dry everything worked great.

next trip to the flying field I got 2 flights then the retract would not come down. after bellying it in I took the gear out and manually moved the follower so I could still fly w/o retracts. in doing so the small told me the motor had burned up. when removing the aft lg mounting screws they were epoxied in so a little soldering iron on the screws and they came out. the new retract went right in w/o a problem and has ~10 flights on it w/o a problem.

since then I have been debating buying a wing set, just because I cant expect this to be available in the future. I hope this answers your question, if not let me know if I can help

Joe
    Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Hello T-28 fans! I just placed an order for this big boy, fyi Horizon Hobby has a limited amount right now!
      This will be my "ARF" project for this year, planning to do the following:
      1) Upgrade the power system, 3-blade prop and maybe 8s or 12s setup
      2) Upgrade retracts (don't want holes burned in the wings) and landing gear with suspension struts
      3) Add gear doors to nose gear
      4) Full scale lighting system with nav, landing and strobe lights

Any tips and suggestions welcome!

Comment

• shore up the flap hinge.
        replace control linkages with at least 4-40 (what I have 150~flights on)
        put a appropriately sized steering servo in.(mine is locked down, I use up E and throttle to turn)

Joe
        Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Originally posted by paladin View Post
          shore up the flap hinge.
          replace control linkages with at least 4-40 (what I have 150~flights on)
          put a appropriately sized steering servo in.(mine is locked down, I use up E and throttle to turn)

Joe
          Thanks Joe! What is wrong with the flap hinge? Just so I understand what needs to be done.

Comment

• BIG FLAP,itty bitty foam living hinge. I put blendurum the length of the hinge in both sides.

The Electric Flyer Hinge Tape by Dubro Products is built for optimal functionality and high performance flying. Shop RC plane accessories and more remote control products at Tower Hobbies.

is what I used 4 years ago (I think), and its still doing its job.

then I put the packing tape with the strands in it on each end and one in the middle on both sides of the flap. but this stuff on the bottom of the wing is coming apart so I think it will be replaced with the stuff above.

joe

Comment

• I just happened to see that Horizon has discontinued this for the second time.
              It really is a great flying airframe and really liked by a lot of modelers except for the etracts.
              Hopefully this is why they discontinued it to give it a 3rd go with a better undercarriage which should have happened on round 2
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• HobbyZone still has it in there website but it does say it's "out of stock". I wonder if it's just waiting for re-stock and HH doesn't list stuff that they are waiting for the next shipment that may take a long time to come.
                Hobby Zone carries a wide selection of the best radio control brands and hobby products - including airplanes, cars and trucks. Shop online and save!

Comment

• xviper Nope, it's discontinued according to HH E-flite Carbon-Z T-28 2.0m BNF Basic with AS3X and SAFE Select | Horizon Hobby
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Third time’s the charm?

Comment

• I recently saw the same situation with the Carbon-Z Cub SS. A HH rep had posted that they were bringing in a new version with all of the SMART technology onboard. I hope that this is the same situation with the C-Z T-28.

Comment

• on this thread i found this from pdansalvish on post 976:

It's Official: E-Flite NEW CarbonZ T-28 Trojan - Page 277 - RC Groups

copied the following form the T-28 post in Electric Airplanes form from Jason.

Recently posted in response to a comment/question on the video below

Quote:
                        Many of our most popular models are being “transitioned” to include newer generation Smart compatible and forward programming capable receivers (the new Spektrum AR631 and AR637TA in particular) because we can’t get the old Spektrum chips to produce the AR636 receiver anymore. When only the receiver changes, the new version usually shows up on our web site within a few days of the original version selling out. But some models, like the Carbon-Z T-28 2.0m (and the 1.2m T-28!), that are getting additional updates/upgrades may not show up again until later this year or next year. Yes, this one will be back...but if you want to buy/fly one in the next year or so you'll need to pick one up now if you can find it!

Joe

Comment

• I am selling the complete retract set for this model. They were never flown. Please see:

Comment

• Comment

• My last flight with the T28. This is a beautiful FPV model. My twin camera setup allows me to bring up other people so they can enjoy the view looking around as I fly. Both cameras have independent pan and tilt so the passenger can look where they please while I keep an eye on my intended flight path

Comment

• T-28 done right - just maidened this weekend! This was my project to "super scale" the carbon Z T-28. Its an amazing flying model. Here is the list of upgrades:

Power: 390Kv Freewing motor (on 6s or 8s) and 18x12x3 prop from the Freewing Corsair. Hobbyking 80A ESC. Great combination for this model for scale flying.
                                Gear: Nose wheel: FRW retract, JP hobby 55mm wheel, on FMS F7F strut. Mains: FRW Spitfire struts, FRW A-10 wheels, FRW retracts
                                Nose gear doors: FRW MiG-29 doors, these fit almost perfectly in the nose gear "hole" that is in the original plane. They only need to be cut for length. I used two servo's to actuate the doors.
                                Control board: Freewing Multi-Function Control Box E (MCB-E)

So, with the help of Freewing parts I made this E-Flite plane what it should have been to begin with. The only things used form the original are the RX and the Spektrum servo's which are fine for this model.

Comment

• PaulZ Nice set of mods. Looks Great! Which specific FRW retracts did you use? And did you have to mod the retract mounts or did the holes line up? How did you mount the gear doors to the mains?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
                                    T-28 done right - just maidened this weekend! This was my project to "super scale" the carbon Z T-28. Its an amazing flying model. Here is the list of upgrades:

Power: 390Kv Freewing motor (on 6s or 8s) and 18x12x3 prop from the Freewing Corsair. Hobbyking 80A ESC. Great combination for this model for scale flying.
                                    Gear: Nose wheel: FRW retract, JP hobby 55mm wheel, on FMS F7F strut. Mains: FRW Spitfire struts, FRW A-10 wheels, FRW retracts
                                    Nose gear doors: FRW MiG-29 doors, these fit almost perfectly in the nose gear "hole" that is in the original plane. They only need to be cut for length. I used two servo's to actuate the doors.
                                    Control board: Freewing Multi-Function Control Box E (MCB-E)

So, with the help of Freewing parts I made this E-Flite plane what it should have been to begin with. The only things used form the original are the RX and the Spektrum servo's which are fine for this model.
                                    Any chance you could provide further detail into the work you did and provide more photos? You say you used Freewing Spitfire struts but I found them to be too short and would require a very long connecting pin. What was your method with that? And could you show the fitment of the nose gear strut and the setup of the gear doors and servos. I see you also have added lights to the plane, did you use a lighting module of some sort and how does this work for the nose gear light?
                                    AT the moment I am using FMS 1.7m P-51D main struts with longer pins and a Freewing A-10 80mm nose strut (trailing arm option part). This setup does seem to work quite well but I am not able to refit the original doors to the mains legs and I have not yet come up with a nose gear door solution. I was considering using a spring for the front doors instead of servos. Like some planes have for the tail wheel doors. Would be nice to seal up that gaping nose wheel bay for flight.
                                    Here is a photo of my retracts upgraded.
                                    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221105_122650.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.3 KB ID:	361115Click image for larger version  Name:	20221103_134930.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.7 KB ID:	361116Click image for larger version  Name:	20221103_134918.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.6 KB ID:	361117Click image for larger version  Name:	20221105_115401.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.9 KB ID:	361118

Comment

• Tidied up the wing wiring by fitting a Multi connector board. So much better setup now instead of the horrible wiring mess it was previously..
                                      Such a cheap and easy mod to do I highly recommend it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221115_173108.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	361335Click image for larger version

Name:	20221115_172706.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	361336

Comment

Working...
                                      X