X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Black Horse 1724mm Dornier DO335 Pfeil ("Arrow") Thread

Dornier DO335 Pfeil ("Arrow") 1724mm (67.8") Wingspan from Black Horse - Balsa Wood ARF - BHM1004-001

You asked, and we finally answered. It was important to us to update the covering to a matte finish with factory-printed weathering, as opposed to the glossy covering of the old Arrow. Along the way, we also worked with Black Horse to update some other internal aspects of the model to make it easier to assemble, configure, and operate.

The Dornier Do 335 Pfeil ("Arrow") was a German World War II heavy fighter built by the Dornier company. The two-seater trainer version was called Ameisenbär ("anteater"). The Pfeil's performance was much better than other twin-engine designs due to its unique push-pull configuration and the lower aerodynamic drag of the in-line alignment of the two engines. It was Nazi Germany's fastest piston-engined aircraft of World War II.

The model is scaled to approximately 1:8 scale and attention was paid to a true to original appearance and best flight characteristics. The model can also be operated using an electric power system.
    Factory Weathered Printing

The printing on this model has a realistic weathering complete with rivet and panel line detail that elevates the model to a whole new level of scale appeal.
    Fiberglass Molded Cowl

Single piece cowl is molded from fiberglass for the ultimate in rigidity.
    Gas or Electric Power

You can choose between gas or electric to power your model depending on your preference.
    Large Electronics Hatch

A generously sized battery hatch allows easy access to internal electronics system, or a fuel tank in Gas Power installations.
    FEATURES:
    • All-new realistic multi-layer weathered printing
    • High level of prefabrication right out of the box
    • Lightweight, strong, laser cut balsa and plywood construction
    • ~1/8 scale
    • Panel lines and details printed directly onto the pre-applied, high quality covering
    • Airfoiled tail surfaces
    • Recessed hinges on all control surfaces
    • Pre-drilled hinge mounting holes
    • Heavy-duty pin hinges on all control surfaces
    • Large easy access fuel tank/battery/servo access hatches with sprung loaded latches
    • Painted and detailed cockpit, pilot and interior included
    • Fiberglass control horns with ball link connector
    • comprehensive control and fitting accessories included
    • Two-piece, plug-in wings simplify transportation and assembly
    • Fiberglass cowl and glass reinforced landing gear covers/pants
    • Mounts for both electric and gas power options included
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Ordered mine!

Happy dance!
    ---
    Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
      Ordered mine!

Happy dance!
      You beat me to it buddy, but mine is ordered too!!!!

Glad they changed up the finish to a more matt weathered look instead of the glossy finish it had before.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post

You beat me to it buddy, but mine is ordered too!!!!

Glad they changed up the finish to a more matt weathered look instead of the glossy finish it had before.
        Many months ago, I told you guys that I intended to be the first to order one. I may not have been first, but I got close.

Alpha, thanks soooo much for bringing this Do-335 into the Motion warehouse!!!!

I'm so friggin' excited to be finally getting a nice Do-335 that I can barely stand it. LOL
        ---
        Warbirder

Comment

Many thanks, Oxotnik and Twowingtj , Men of your Word!

The covering really needs to be seen in person to be fully appreciated. This photo is completely unedited, of how the model's covering appears straight out of the box with zero additional touch-up. Notice the dimension of colors and shades created by the multiple layers of printing. It isn't just a "two color base coat then one color weathering". No, the weathering colors are applied in about ten separate color layers of varying transparency, each one of them silkscreened onto the covering, dried, aligned, then silkscreened again. Installation is done by hand to ensure the panel lines and shades align and for the most part disappear into the overall colorway. It's a very laborious process. Perhaps in a future Motion RC Live episode we'll do a factory walkthrough of Black Horse's operation, if there's interest in seeing this process up close.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.1 KB ID:	240031

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
            Many thanks, Oxotnik and Twowingtj , Men of your Word!

The covering really needs to be seen in person to be fully appreciated. This photo is completely unedited, of how the model's covering appears straight out of the box with zero additional touch-up. Notice the dimension of colors and shades created by the multiple layers of printing. It isn't just a "two color base coat then one color weathering". No, the weathering colors are applied in about ten separate color layers of varying transparency, each one of them silkscreened onto the covering, dried, aligned, then silkscreened again. Installation is done by hand to ensure the panel lines and shades align and for the most part disappear into the overall colorway. It's a very laborious process. Perhaps in a future Motion RC Live episode we'll do a factory walkthrough of Black Horse's operation, if there's interest in seeing this process up close.
            Click image for larger version Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.1 KB ID:	240031

It looks fantastic!!

Can you talk about the gear some? The spec page says that the landing gear is not included. Does that mean no gear at all, or that fixed gear is included, but retracts are not? Will a suitable gear set be brought to the Motion warehouse and referenced on the Do-335 product page?
            ---
            Warbirder

Comment

Something else that I was thinking about....

I'm planning to set mine up with counter-rotating props, probably MAS 3-bladed props and appropriate spinners. The product page said 17" props. Wow! I didn't expect to have that much clearance on a 68" wingspan warbird. Since I'm doing 3-bladed props, I'll probably go with 16x8x3 props.

Counter rotating props in tandem (pusher/puller)... This configuration will null out torque roll, but it'll probably double the P-factor, since the counter rotating props are forward and aft of the CG and gear, right? Or am I thinking about it incorrectly?
              ---
              Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                Something else that I was thinking about....

I'm planning to set mine up with counter-rotating props, probably MAS 3-bladed props and appropriate spinners. The product page said 17" props. Wow! I didn't expect to have that much clearance on a 68" wingspan warbird. Since I'm doing 3-bladed props, I'll probably go with 16x8x3 props.

Counter rotating props in tandem (pusher/puller)... This configuration will null out torque roll, but it'll probably double the P-factor, since the counter rotating props are forward and aft of the CG and gear, right? Or am I thinking about it incorrectly?
                Ox...…….. ya have me in using counter rotation for both. The Pheil used standard rotation prop(CW from pilot seat) on front and CCW prop on the rear using a standard CW engine.
                I did that on my 80" O-2 Skymaster (which is how full size is done too) and no P-factor or torque issues at all. Your over thinking it buddy.
                Mind you that front of the CCW prop hub mounts against motor shaft adapter

Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

LOL. It won't be the first that I've obsessed and over-thought an airplane project.
                  I'm obviously now going to have to obsess over whether or not to counter rotate the props. Thanks, guys.
                  ---
                  Warbirder

Comment

oh my, that looks really sweet
                    rc flyin addict

Comment

Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post
                      oh my, that looks really sweet
                      You know that you need one.
                      ---
                      Warbirder

Comment

Does anyone know why the Pfeil's nose gear is canted so far forward? The full scale one.
                        ---
                        Warbirder

Comment

Shame that they left the number 163 on the tail still , would be far nicer without it

Comment

Originally posted by Terminater007 View Post
                            Shame that they left the number 163 on the tail still , would be far nicer without it
                            What is the quandary with that number
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I'm struggling with the scale math. The product page says that this model is approximately 1/5 scale (quoted below).

Click image for larger version

Name:	3-5-2020 9-53-02 AM.png
Views:	2137
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	240185

Full scale wingspan (per wikipedia) is 45.4'.
                              Model wing span is 1724mm.

Scale = (model wing span)/ (fullscale wingspan) = [1724mm/(25.4mm/in)/(12in/ft)] / (45.4 ft) = (5.66 ft)/(45.4 ft) = .1251, which is approximate 1/8 scale.

Where does the 1/5 scale come from? Am I ciphering incorrectly?
                              ---
                              Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

What is the quandary with that number
                                My curiosity is peeked, too. My quandary is that the tail isn't marked with a swastika. Callie to the rescue (actually, I already have a sheet of swastikas of various sizes that I had Callie do for me a year or so ago, since hardly any Luftwaffe airplanes come with proper tail insignia). I know why they don't, but I then have to add them back on, for scale accuracy.
                                ---
                                Warbirder

Comment

Good catch on the scale. Even without crunching the numbers... most single engine fighters at 1/5 scale are in the ballpark of 90” wingspan.

Regardless, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a nice looking model that I’ve seen lots of people clamoring for, for a long time. I’m curious to see how fast they sell out!

Comment

Originally posted by CF-105 View Post
                                    Good catch on the scale. Even without crunching the numbers... most single engine fighters at 1/5 scale are in the ballpark of 90” wingspan.

Regardless, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a nice looking model that I’ve seen lots of people clamoring for, for a long time. I’m curious to see how fast they sell out!
                                    Agreed. I'm not complaining. I was just scratching my head a bit, wondering if I'd screwed up the elementary math in some way.

Based on the provided wing area and estimated AUW, I also swagged out the following:
                                    Wing Loading: 32.7 oz/ft^2 (which is very close to the 97.72 g/dm^2 on the product page)
                                    Wing Cube Loading: 11.2

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the WCL. I'd expected it to be a good bit higher.
                                    ---
                                    Warbirder

Comment

Thanks for the catch folks...These new product are always shifting in specs/data initially. Especially when we launch several new product at once. Some of these are simple "cut and paste" casualties that get carried into other product pages by accident. Nature of the beast sometimes. Thank you for your vigilance!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                        Thanks for the catch folks...These new product are always shifting in specs/data initially. Especially when we launch several new product at once. Some of these are simple "cut and paste" casualties that get carried into other product pages by accident. Nature of the beast sometimes. Thank you for your vigilance!
                                        Oh, you can definitley count on us to find ANY inaccuracies. We're special that way... LOL

---
                                        Warbirder

Comment

Working...
                                        X