Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, one more photo. Every tank needs a commander.

Click image for larger version

Name:	93FD20D8-007C-4AE5-87B6-4E38558B5A0A.jpeg
Views:	930
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	286576
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Very nice.
      Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Is it worth upgrading to the lower metal hull or should I just keep it plastic

Comment

Hi everyone,

2 days ago I stumbled upon some RC tanks on AliExpress and remembered having one when I was a kid. Soon I found myself going through forums and websites looking for more info.
          I decided that I'd like to buy a Heng Long King Tiger. First I thought the updated version would be perfect, but then I read that the pro version features barrel recoil! Needless to say I now absolutely want the pro version.

But as you all probably already knew they are near sold out everywhere.
          To make things more difficult one of the shop owners here in the Netherlands told me that HL stopped making the King Tiger pro featuring BB + IR + Barrel recoil. Apparently they had too many issues? I'm not sure if this is true, but a seller I found on AliExpress indicates that the models he is selling have IR only and all (even the standard version) have barrel recoil.

I'm a bit confused now.

My main goal is to buy/create a tank that has IR so I can play against others, but I definitely also want to implement the Smoking barrel mod by adding a second smoke generator. The BB function itself is not that important to me. But what I fear is that the newest IR only models have the IR transmitter in the barrel, making it impossible to add smoke to the barrel when firing.

Can anyone here help me in the right direction? I've been reading forums and website for 8 hours now 😅

All help greatly appreciated.
          I'm so excited about all this which is most certainly going to be a great new hobby!

Best regards,
          Luke

Comment

Hi Luke, welcome to the forum! Nice to see another Dutchie on here.

Motion RC (both the EU and US sites) have unfortunately been sold out of tanks for a long time now. They're saying they'll get a restock soon, but they've been saying that since halfway last year. I'm curious what other Dutch shops you've found. Most that I encountered seem to sell old stock items or are sold out.

A good option to buy Heng Long tanks is "Toucan Hobby" from China. They profile them as the biggest Heng Long seller worldwide, and always seem to have stock of whatever tank or spare parts you want. You can find them on eBay and Aliexpress. Their eBay store has a lot of US stock items, so I found it better to use Aliexpress when ordering from them. Their Aliexpress site also seems a little bit cheaper than their eBay. Coming from China you'll have to take shipping time into account when ordering. And prepare to pay some import taxes.

They also have a King Tiger which seems to have all the metal options but it doesn't specifically state barrel recoil. You'd have to ask them if that's included.

Be mindful that a King Tiger with all metal wheels and tracks is a very heavy beast. I got one myself last year as my first tank, and noticed the stock 1800mah LiIo battery only gives you about 15 minutes running time with this heavy tank. So when shopping, you'll want to shop for a higher capacity battery as well.

Also when shopping, always keep an eye on what MFU the tank has: Most have a TK 6.0 MFU or newer, but you'll see ones with an older MFU on eBay and in some shops. I wouldn't recommend buying those.

Comment

Originally posted by Luck Hermsen View Post
              Hi everyone, I'm so excited about all this which is most certainly going to be a great new hobby! Best regards, Luke
              LH, Welcome to "Hobby Squawk". Great information and people here. Glad to have you onboard. Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Welcome Luck Hermsen, also of note depending on how scale you like things, the barrel recoil isnt all its cracked up to be, it slowly starts pulling the barrel back while the airsoft unit spins up, then snaps forward when it actually fires. You may find that to just bee the coolest thing, personally I think it just makes it looks stupid and toy-like, but im just giving you a heads up on what the barrel recoil is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaseline View Post
                  Welcome Luck Hermsen, also of note depending on how scale you like things, the barrel recoil isnt all its cracked up to be, it slowly starts pulling the barrel back while the airsoft unit spins up, then snaps forward when it actually fires. You may find that to just bee the coolest thing, personally I think it just makes it looks stupid and toy-like, but im just giving you a heads up on what the barrel recoil is all about.
                  I've raid about that before and yes indeed, that's not what I'd like to see. Should be the other way around.
                  However I did find a video today showing a HL King Tiger with (new?) recoil. https://youtu.be/ycadhOQQWFo?t=95

From all the information I have gathered in the past days, I think the following is true (not 100% sure though as there is so much conflicting information):
                  The newest Heng Long King Tigers with IR do have barrel recoil (not sure if Pro only or also the cheaper models), but they do NOT shoot BB's.

Motion RC has listed the HL King Tiger Pro model with barrel recoil (pro version), and as far as I can tell, according to the description it should support both BB and IR!?
                  So I'd say either their product description is wrong, or HL did make the King Tiger with BB + IR + Barrel Recoil but maybe stopped manufacturing them?

Anyway, I also found the Torro/Taigen (same make?) 11510-CA. This Tank has literally everything I'd want a King Tiger to have (IR + barrel recoil + barrel smoke 😍), and considering the time and money that would needed to be spent on a HL to make it have the same features, the price isn't that bad I'd say... But where's the fun in buying a tank that needs no modding?

I'll post back when I find more interesting info on the HL King Tiger.

Comment

Also, according to this pag only the TK6.1 supports cannon/barrel recoil. Which would mean that all HL tanks with barrel recoil come with a 6.1 board...
                    Cheap Parts & Accessories, Buy Quality Toys & Hobbies Directly from China Suppliers:6.0S/6.1S Version Henglong Remote Controller/Main Board/Cable/Lifting Generator Upgrade Parts for 1/16 Heng Long RC Tank Model Enjoy ✓Free Shipping Worldwide! ✓Limited Time Sale ✓Easy Return.

Comment

Also, according to this pag only the TK6.1 supports cannon/barrel recoil. Which would mean that all HL tanks with barrel recoil come with a 6.1 board...
                      Actually none the current Heng Long tanks come with the 6.1 system. The 6.0 supports a hybrid cannon recoil that works in conjunction with the airsoft system. This IS the set up used currently.

The 6.1 can do this too, but it also supports an independent servo recoil system. Current HL does not widely sell a tank with a servo recoil system.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Actually none of the current Heng Long tanks come with the 6.1 system. The 6.0 supports a hybrid cannon recoil that works in conjunction with the airsoft system.

The 6.1 can do this too but it also supports an independent servo recoil system. Current HL does not widely sell a tank with servo recoil.
                        That's interesting. Would you happen to have any info on how that hybrid cannon recoil works?

Comment

That's interesting. Would you happen to have any info on how that hybrid cannon recoil works?
                          It is a simple metal arm attached to the barrel and the airsoft piston. It ties the two together and moves with the piston when the cannon fires. It is hit or miss on the timing of the recoil vs the sound of the cannon firing. It works at a toy level of realism and nowhere near as smoothly as a servo recoil system.

Comment

Just found this. According to post nr 18 a few of the very newest HL tanks do have barrel recoil controlled by a servo.

​​

Comment

Basically the short answer is you need to find a King Tiger for sale that you for sure know has a 6.1 or 6.1S board in it.

Comment

The long answer is even if it has a 6.1 system, it still may or may-not be set up for servo actuated movement, All the stuff Ive seen that were set up with servos looked like they were prototypes or or Third-party 3D printed recoil mechanisms.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaseline View Post
                                  The long answer is even if it has a 6.1 system, it still may or may-not be set up for servo actuated movement, All the stuff Ive seen that were set up with servos looked like they were prototypes or or Third-party 3D printed recoil mechanisms.
                                  I'm not sure about that. On various sites I've seen this metal recoil unit advertised as being a "Heng Long" servo recoil unit. It also optionally works in conjunction with what looks like an official Heng Long barrel smoke unit that's sold separately. Of course, as ever you'll need a 6.1 board to plug it into.

Last weekend I decided to go the "expensive" route for my Panzer III instead of bashing the bb-unit: I ordered a 6.1 MFU, the HL metal servo recoil unit pictured below as well as the barrel smoke unit. I'm not sure if that last one will fit into the compact hull of the Panzer III, but we'll see. I also hope the below unit is "drop in" so I don't have to build some structure to support it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_68061.png
Views:	747
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	299462

So to summarize what we have concerning barrel recoil in current Heng Long tanks:

6.0/6.0S MFU with bb-unit without barrel recoil. Mainly used on smaller tanks.
                                  6.0/6.0S MFU with bb-unit that has the built-in barrel recoil via an arm attached to the floating barrel. This option is toylike and is used on larger tanks.
                                  6.1 MFU that gives the OPTION to connect an aftermarket servo recoil unit. Not available in any readily available HL tank unless built in as a service or some other high-end HL custom job.
                                  7.0 MFU Probably same setup as the two 6.0/6.1 options above. Uncertain if this has the OPTION to connect a servo recoil (I'm REALLY curious about this).

Am I missing anything?

Comment

Huh, I have not seen that metal recoil unit, thanks for the info. t Toucan is selling the 7.0 boards on ebay, and if you look at the pictures they do not have the signal wire pins to connect servos to, they have 2 extra 2-pin JSTXH plug-ins which im not sure what are for, POV camera maybe? . Im going to guess that this metal recoil unit from HL is expensive, it if you dont want to go that route and have access to a 3D printer I know were you can get a free .STL file set for a Panzer III specific recoil unit. http://rctanksaustralia.com/store/in...products_id=34

Comment

Thanks for that link Vaseline ! I'm hoping the supposedly official metal Heng Long unit works with the Panzer III. Will report back on that in my Panzer III topic once I get it in. The 3D file is a nice backup option. Wish my FDM printer wasn't in storage. Using my resin printer will probably not create sturdy enough a unit. Though it would be worth try.

I saw the separate 7.0 unit for sale by Toucan yes. But looking at it I also suspected it probably not having the servo support. I do really like the appeal of the option for locking the turn-radius though. Looks awesome for our WW2 tanks! Who knows, maybe someday HL will do a "7.1" board with all the options we need.

I think we're getting very much off-topic here though. Maybe at this point an admin could move the last bunch of posts to a separate "Barrel recoil systems" topic?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post

My second photo above shows two different running gear setups... the Upgrade to the left and the Pro to the right.

The Professional edition *does* have metal road wheels. I call it "metal everything", if not clear in the first photo above:

Metal tracks
                                        Metal idler wheel
                                        Metal sprocket
                                        Metal road wheels (all of them)
                                        Metal wheel caps
                                        Metal suspension arms
                                        Dual bearings per arm

The cheaper versions, what are often called Basic/Standard and Upgrade, have plastic versions of all of those parts above.

A basic rule when looking at photos of any stock Heng Long tank is, "If it's painted, it's plastic".

If it's unpainted bare metal, it's... unpainted bare metal.

The Professional Edition of the King Tiger also has a metal recoiling barrel.
                                        Hello there - am I to understand the PROFESSIONAL edition tanks have metal UNPAINTED wheel and TRACKS? Is this also the case on the Heng Long Professional PANTHER?
                                        Seems very odd that their top-of-the-line tank comes with unpainted parts. Trying to clarify before placing an order.
                                        Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeezix View Post

Hello there - am I to understand the PROFESSIONAL edition tanks have metal UNPAINTED wheel and TRACKS? Is this also the case on the Heng Long Professional PANTHER?
                                          Seems very odd that their top-of-the-line tank comes with unpainted parts. Trying to clarify before placing an order.
                                          Many thanks.
                                          Yes the parts are unpainted. This is their way of showing that the parts are metal. They have been doing it this way for several years and it is not going to change so don’t waist to much time overthinking the lack of paint.

Best just to repaint the tank or simply paint the bare metal.

Comment

Working...
                                          X