Callie Graphics

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sturmgeschutz III - don't do this at home, kids!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know of a source for photo etched brass grills that can replace the decals there for the Panzer III or StuG III?
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Hello all, I have been looking for a while now and I haven't seen a 6.0 StuG online yet. is there any news on weather or not we will see one with 6.0 or 7.0. I'm not afraid of the conversion, just lazy.;-)

Comment

Originally posted by HorribleHarry View Post
        Hello all, I have been looking for a while now and I haven't seen a 6.0 StuG online yet. is there any news on weather or not we will see one with 6.0 or 7.0. I'm not afraid of the conversion, just lazy.;-)
        This one was found online and my tanker buddy upgraded it to 6.0 I think I bought it from Toucan. A little re-paint and the upgrade work later...

Bob Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0617.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	169.6 KB ID:	308821

Comment

OOh that's pretty... I guess I should have said 6.0 or newer NEW from HL I heard that was in the pipes a couple years ago.
          I could only hope mine looked half as good!
          HH

Comment

A rep from Toucan emailed me and stated that the Stug III will be available in the US warehouse this August.

Comment

Originally posted by HorribleHarry View Post
              Here is the update from Toucan Hobby:

"Hello David, the customized Stug III 3868 RTR tanks are on the way to the U.S. stock, it may arrive at the end of August."

Comment

Well, I just manage to finnagle a Stug III with all steel running gear, tracks and whatnot with a V6.0 installed. Took a bit of negotiation, not in the least to get the price where I want it, and the payment split between AliExpress and Paypal to avoid the VAT for a big part and the Import Duties in total. But I did it...

Ye Gods... what have I done? Another tank? SWMBO is gonna kill me... especially when she finds out about the T34-85 that is coming in right behind the King Tiger...

I commend my soul to any god that can find it... It was nice knowing you gentlemen...
                Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                  Anyone know of a source for photo etched brass grills that can replace the decals there for the Panzer III or StuG III?
                  I know these are on the wrong side of the pond, but they would deliver it seems...no idea how long that would take though. I used some of their diamond mesh for the grilles on my T-55, which I think looks OK.

https://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Raw-Mat...rass?orderby=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	T-55RearMesh.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	321233

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                    What size grills do you need? I may or may not be using a stainless steel collander/sieve/strainer from Ikea as my source of metal mesh. And if SWMBO asks; no, I haven't seen that thing...

Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

Aber sells them on eBay.

Search “1:16 Torro Panzer III or Stug III RC Tank Photo Etch Grills Copper”

(My original inquiry was back in January!)

Comment

Hi ya guys, Old-timer RC buff, new to hobby squawk. Finally venturing into the RC TANK world. Can anyone recommend a reliable Heng Long supplier in the US, OTHER THAN TOUCAN HOBBY. Bought my 1st tank through them. Upgraded M41A3 Walker Bulldog. TK 7.0. Did not come as described. Toucan told me i misunderstood what i was buying, Until i offered to send them a copy of the SCREENSHOTS i took, (always when buying from china seller.) at the time of my purchase, then "No problem, we send parts right away." 5 weeks later i received missing parts.
                        OK. The tank is great and i love the 7.0 controller. Lets give them another chance. I went big and ordered the much more expensive Fully customized Leopard 2A6. TK 7.0. Asked them to VERIFY DESCRIPTION on toucan hobby website and they send me a link to an eBay ad. They wouldn't verify in email. OK. I let it go, i want that tank. I paid for the tank and waited a day to hear something from them..... Nothing. I email and ask about my order. I get a copy of my paid invoice and, "we got your money." nothing else. I email again. They reply "we got your money, did you not see last email. Several emails later with no ORDER STATUS, I canceled my order and demand my money be refunded. After threatening fraud and my bank getting involved they reply, "Oh too late tonight , we ship tomorrow , OK". NOT OK. TRUST ALL GONE. Finally got my money refunded..........Sorry guys, didn't mean to write a book. Just thought people should know.
                        Again main question - are there any more reliable H.L. distributors in US. Motion RC was official distributors but they appear to be dead. Was hoping to find quicker shipping other than China direct.

Comment

Sorry to find out you had trouble with them. You can just buy from other Ebay sellers. They are very competitive in prices.

Comment

Never ordered a HL tank from China - scary, as you’ve found out. However, Toucan has warehouses in the US. If you see “US Stock” in the eBay description, and the shipping origin is New Jersey, it’s them. They use various seller names, but US and NJ are the keys. Pros: never had a problem with them, tanks or parts. Cons: no custom orders, your choices are confined to their offerings. You can haggle up to about a 15% discount.

Comment

I have had good luck with this seller on Amazon. Fast shipping and easy returns.

Modified TK6.0 Edition 1/16 2.4ghz Remote Control US M4A3 Sherman Tank Model(360-Degree Rotating Turret)(Steel Gear Gearbox)(3800mah Battery)(Metal Tracks &Sprocket Wheel & Idle Wheel) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFGT9P5...02QHD2G0PRCMHM

Steve

Comment

Well, if you are willing to try AliExpress I can -highly- recommend this store; https://www.aliexpress.com/store/911...75d72e0efWY2CX

They are helpful, and got me sorted getting a Stug III running TK6.0. They have a good connection with the Heng Long factory and had the factory actually side-grade my Stug III from TK7.0 to TK6.0 (yes, I am weird... but I like the TK6.0 better). When they had the "upgraded" Stug they sent me picture to confirm what it had become and what they would send me. They also accomodated me by letting me pay partly on AliExpress and partly on Paypal direct to get an invoice showing less than 150 euros so I would not have to pay import duty on top of the VAT and custom fees.

Also bought a King Tiger from them (EU stock, so less hassle importing) and it arrived today, and I ordered LAST FRIDAY. Did the TMTR and found some trouble with the controller. Messaged them and they -IMMEDIATELY- offered to sent me a new controller. That wasn't needed after some trouble-shooting, but there was no question about it.

Anyway, that's my experience with this particular seller on AliExpress. Your milage may vary. That being said; tell them I sent you... They also informed me that if you do not find what you are looking for in their AliExpress store you should message them directly and they can tell you what else they can arrange for you.

TTFN,
                                Rob

Comment

Great input guys. thx much. I have bought from just about everybody over the years for all my RC toys and tend to be overly caucus when it comes to China sellers. Toucan shorted me on my first tank, but did make good. (took 5 weeks). Their shipping out of New Jersey was unbelievably FAST. Its why i gave them a second chance. Their communication and language translation was horrible.
                                  To be fair, they probably would have completed the order and my tank would be on its way to me. BUT i don't know how much money I've lost in 40yrs of buying and it has made me a little paranoid . Buyer protection on PayPal and eBay are not what they use to be. Anyway, i have an email out to Heng Long asking about current US distributors and what is needed to become a distributor, cause their is a whole bunch of old farts here that have played with everything but these TANKS. None of us are willing to pay TAMIYA prices for them. Especially seeing what HL can do for a 3rd of their price. I also have an email to Banggood asking to increase their US stock of these tanks. (BG is ok once you learn their little tricks and you NEVER order China warehouse, unless you don't care when you'll get it.) i use to order a lot of parts from AliExpress, but in the time it took to receive parts, i had forgot what the hell i was building. LOL.
                                  Well I'll keep browsing. I WANT THAT CUSTOM LEOPARD and i know Toucan prices are going to be hard to beat............Might have to eat crow and buy from them.
                                  Thx again guys. Glad to see rc fellowship is alive and well on this site. I'll follow up if i get a reply from HL.

Comment

Originally posted by solo403 View Post
                                    Great input guys. thx much. I have bought from just about everybody over the years for all my RC toys and tend to be overly caucus when it comes to China sellers. Toucan shorted me on my first tank, but did make good. (took 5 weeks). Their shipping out of New Jersey was unbelievably FAST. Its why i gave them a second chance. Their communication and language translation was horrible.
                                    To be fair, they probably would have completed the order and my tank would be on its way to me. BUT i don't know how much money I've lost in 40yrs of buying and it has made me a little paranoid . Buyer protection on PayPal and eBay are not what they use to be. Anyway, i have an email out to Heng Long asking about current US distributors and what is needed to become a distributor, cause their is a whole bunch of old farts here that have played with everything but these TANKS. None of us are willing to pay TAMIYA prices for them. Especially seeing what HL can do for a 3rd of their price. I also have an email to Banggood asking to increase their US stock of these tanks. (BG is ok once you learn their little tricks and you NEVER order China warehouse, unless you don't care when you'll get it.) i use to order a lot of parts from AliExpress, but in the time it took to receive parts, i had forgot what the hell i was building. LOL.
                                    Well I'll keep browsing. I WANT THAT CUSTOM LEOPARD and i know Toucan prices are going to be hard to beat............Might have to eat crow and buy from them.
                                    Thx again guys. Glad to see rc fellowship is alive and well on this site. I'll follow up if i get a reply from HL.
                                    I am long time Heng Long tanker and BIG supporter. Please don’t think for a minute they are equally to what you get with a Tamiya tank because they simply are not. Tamiya tanks have far better engineering, run smoother and are more accurate. You are paying for a “Hobby Grade” tank when you buy a Tamiya. Heng Long tanks regardless of what sales gimmick metal “up grade” they add from the factory as still simply “Toy Grade” tanks. By the time you put the money into them with aftermarket parts to bring them up to true “Hobby Grade” they end up costing just as much if not more then a Tamiya tank.

Heng Long tanks have come a long ways in the last three years but still have a long way to go and right now the owners of Heng Long have no desire to move them past the simple “Toy Grade” they are now. Why? Because Heng Long is a TOY company not a hobby company like Tamiya.

Oh and Heng Longs Leopard regardless of custom grade is on of their least durable tanks. If you want a Leopard 2 below the cost of a Tamiya then look at the Torro/Taigen all metal hull ones. Toughest Leopard 2s on the market and at a reasonable starting price.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1970 View Post
                                      Also bought a King Tiger from them (EU stock, so less hassle importing) and it arrived today, and I ordered LAST FRIDAY. Did the TMTR and found some trouble with the controller. Messaged them and they -IMMEDIATELY- offered to sent me a new controller. That wasn't needed after some trouble-shooting, but there was no question about it.
                                      My further experience with this seller today; The problem with the KT's controller was the little plug that connects the two firing buttons to the main board inside the controller. Someone at the factory had tried to put it in the wrong way up, and redid it right. But the grabbing prongs on the plastic of the plug got bent and allowed the plug to wiggle loose. Fixed that, but the fit was not as snug as I would like. Rough handling of the controller would jostle it loose again. I told them about this and said I would see what happened during the test runs.

Today they sent me a PM on AliExpress asking me if the controller was holding up okay. Told them it was okay-ish but probably needed glue. And if they had any of those long metal hubcaps in stock... already lost one during the test run outside... Immediately got offered a new controller and a couple of those hubcaps as replacement. No fuss, no muss...

TTFN,
                                      Rob

Comment

Hi ya Rubicon99. I absolutely understand and agree with you about quality difference between HL and Tamiya and the in-between brands BUT, you would not want to do to a 1,000 dollar Tamiya what we have in mind for these little tanks. We all got bored with laser tag along time ago.
                                        See, we don't want to pretend to blow each others tanks up. We want to literally blow each others tanks up. Major and radical modifications that aren't that difficult or expense to do. Not crazy. HL tanks offer a Cheap to buy, cheap to REPAIR build platform for what we want to do.
                                        Funny thing, my MOD obsession began with a Tamiya model many, many years ago. I no longer let my toys sit on a shelf, gathering dust. When you become bored with it, don't sell it. CHANGE IT! ALL TOYS ARE HOBBY GRADE TOYS with a little skill and imagination. Have fun, be safe.

Comment

• Sorry guys. Didn't mean to go so off topic on a StuG III. My buddy wants a stuG III. He says it will make an excellent FLAME THROWER.

Comment

Working...
                                          X