X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Heng Long 1/16 Scale USA Pershing Battle Tank Discussion Thread

Click image for larger version  Name:	heng-long-usa-pershing-upgrade-edition-1-16-scale-battle-tank-rtr.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.7 KB ID:	361007

The American M26 Pershing was used in the last months of WWII and extensively during the Korean War. Over 2,200 units were manufactured, powered by 500HP Ford gasoline engines, and firepower was supplied by the primary 90mm cannon. This Upgrade version features steel gears and plastic tracks for an economical balance between durability and weight. Heng Long has produced RC tanks for over 20 years, and their products offer an ideal starting point for new customers wanting to explore the world of RC tanks. All of Motion RC’s Heng Long 1/16 scale tanks utilize the latest TK7.0 MFCB for outstanding control, performance, playability, and upgrade potential!
    Durable Tracks

Confidently conquer terrain with lightweight yet durable tracks that are easy to service. Professional Versions feature metal tracks for the ultimate in performance and realism.
    Independent Suspension and Steel Geared Gearbox

Reliable gearboxes featuring steel gears efficiently transfer power while independent suspension provide traction over rough surfaces.
    Airsoft BB Launch

Safely fire 6mm plastic airsoft BBs at the included paper target at short ranges. *Take safety precautions and wear eye protection.
    IR Battle Ready

Engage in friendly infrared ("IR") combat with other TK7-equipped tanks, both inflicting hits upon and receiving hits from opponents! Sounds and action signal each hit, until the 5th hit disables the tank. After 10 seconds, the disabled tank restarts and can rejoin the fight!
    Scale Details

The perfect balance of scale detail and practical operation, each Heng Long tank arrives factory painted and includes Cosmetic Accessory Parts to further enhance the tank's realism.
    RTR

The convenience of the "Ready to Run" (RTR) format allows new enthusiasts to join the world of RC Tanks with ease!
    Features:
    • Latest Generation TK7.0 Multi-Function Control Board (MFCB)
    • Proportional acceleration, steering, turret traverse, and gun elevation/depression
    • Programmable radio settings for the amount of recoil, the sensitivity in turns, the overall sensitivity in acceleration, high speed and low-speed modes, etc.
    • Smoke effect (On/Off)
    • Headlights and Brake lights (On/Off)
    • Volume (five settings including Off)
    • Four different sound sets. Each contains a unique engine start, idle, accelerating, traverse, elevate, machine gun, cannon firing, and shutdown sound
    • Track Recoil (Three settings from low, medium, and high) -This shudders the tank briefly rearward to simulate recoil when firing the main cannon
    • Fires a 6mm plastic BB (10 meters with minimal accuracy and limited velocity, but should still be treated with caution and with adequate eye protection)
    • Fires an invisible IR signal to be used as part of Heng Long's Infrared Battle System, which disables other tanks when hit five times during simulated combat. Up to 20 tanks at the same time can battle each other!
    • Independent suspension on all road wheels
    Includes:
    • Heng Long USA Pershing Upgrade Edition 1/16 Scale Battle Tank - RTR
    • 2S 7.4v 1800mAh Li-ion battery with XT60 Connector
    • 2S USB LiPo/Li-ion battery charger
    • 10-Channel 2.4GHz radio transmitter
    • Magnetic Infrared (IR) battle system receiver
    • Painted cosmetic accessory parts
    • Adhesive decal sheet
    • 6mm plastic BBs (50 Pack)
    • 2x spare track links
    • Smoke oil
    • Complete instruction manual
    Requires:Optional:Product Specifications:

AGE LEVEL : 14 and up
    SKILL LEVEL : Beginner
    BUILD TIME : 1 Hour
    Scale 1:16
    Length 52cm / 20.2in
    Width 24cm / 9.3in
    Height 20cm / 7.8in
    Weight 2267g / 79.9oz
    Body Material ABS Plastic
    Chassis Material ABS Plastic
    Track Material ABS Plastic
    Motors Two 380 motors (28x37mm)
    Bearings Metal Bushings
    Gearbox Gear Material Steel
    Adjustable Gear Ratio Fixed
    Differential Type Gear
    Suspension Type Idler Arm
    Sprocket Plastic
    Road Wheels Plastic
    Idler Wheel Plastic
    Adjustable Idler No
    Turret Rotation 320 Degrees
    Lights Yes
    Sound Yes
    Exhaust Effect Yes
    IR Battle Ready Yes
    Airsoft BB Launch Yes, 6mm
    Track Recoil Yes
    Cannon Barrel Recoil No
    Required Battery 2S 7.4V 1800mAh with XT60 connector (included)
    Required Radio 10 Channel (included)
    Skill Level Beginner
    Build Time 1 Hour
    Recommended Environment Indoor / Outdoor

I am making my first purchase on a RC tank. I have had one before but it didn't really work out too well, I forget the name but it wasn't a Heng Long tank. It was fun for a while but kind of went downhill rather quick. I am considering purchasing this one because I remember seeing a documentary about the tank battle between a Pershing and Panther tank in Cologne. I just started reading the book Spearhead about one of the first, if not the first, Pershing tank crews at the end of WW2. They are the tank crew that was featured in the documentary I saw as well.

I have a budget of $250 and this model fits in that budget along with the extra battery pack as well (Admiral 3500mAh 2S 7.4V Li-ion Battery with XT60 Connector). My biggest question I suppose is, would it be better to get the professional or the upgrade version? I would like to drive it out in the dirt and grass (nothing heavy like sand or mud) and carpeted floors. I can get the professional and battery pack or just the upgrade version with the battery pack as well and maybe a few other accessories.

I am still a beginner very much with these RC tanks but also would like to get the best and most practical version for my first purchase. I would also like to repaint the entire tank to an olive drab version to more closely match the WW2 tank that I am reading about. Any advice from the experts or more experienced people on this forum would be awesome. I am super excited to get my first purchase and start driving around in my new tank!

Comment

Originally posted by fooleo73 View Post
      I am making my first purchase on a RC tank. I have had one before but it didn't really work out too well, I forget the name but it wasn't a Heng Long tank. It was fun for a while but kind of went downhill rather quick. I am considering purchasing this one because I remember seeing a documentary about the tank battle between a Pershing and Panther tank in Cologne. I just started reading the book Spearhead about one of the first, if not the first, Pershing tank crews at the end of WW2. They are the tank crew that was featured in the documentary I saw as well.

I have a budget of $250 and this model fits in that budget along with the extra battery pack as well (Admiral 3500mAh 2S 7.4V Li-ion Battery with XT60 Connector). My biggest question I suppose is, would it be better to get the professional or the upgrade version? I would like to drive it out in the dirt and grass (nothing heavy like sand or mud) and carpeted floors. I can get the professional and battery pack or just the upgrade version with the battery pack as well and maybe a few other accessories.

I am still a beginner very much with these RC tanks but also would like to get the best and most practical version for my first purchase. I would also like to repaint the entire tank to an olive drab version to more closely match the WW2 tank that I am reading about. Any advice from the experts or more experienced people on this forum would be awesome. I am super excited to get my first purchase and start driving around in my new tank!
      With the Pershing make sure you get the one with metal suspension arms, road wheels and tracks if you can fit it into you budget. This means you might have to also look on eBay for it not just Motion as I do not believe Motion carries this version.

The terrain you mention that you will be driving on is easy for the Pershing to handle, but will place extra “loads and wear” on some of its parts namely the suspension arms and track hence why I recommend them.

But if you want to start a little smaller and build up later all the parts mentioned are available on EBay or Aliexpress. Sadly Motion does not carry them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

With the Pershing make sure you get the one with metal suspension arms, road wheels and tracks if you can fit it into you budget. This means you might have to also look on eBay for it not just Motion as I do not believe Motion carries this version.

The terrain you mention that you will be driving on is easy for the Pershing to handle, but will place extra “loads and wear” on some of its parts namely the suspension arms and track hence why I recommend them.

But if you want to start a little smaller and build up later all the parts mentioned are available on EBay or Aliexpress. Sadly Motion does not carry them yet.
        Rubicon, thanks for the information! I saw some of the parts sets on eBay for the Pershing, a full set of metal road wheels for about $100 and a metal suspension set for about $30 which may be something I invest in down the road. I know the professional doesn't come with the metal road wheels, just the metal sprocket and treads. At first I will only use the tank indoors due to winter or on the clean hard surfaces outside. I am pretty excited to get into this hobby, I have always loved tanks and would like to have a decent one to use. It seems like Heng Long are the more popular ones that are pretty reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by fooleo73 View Post

Rubicon, thanks for the information! I saw some of the parts sets on eBay for the Pershing, a full set of metal road wheels for about $100 and a metal suspension set for about $30 which may be something I invest in down the road. I know the professional doesn't come with the metal road wheels, just the metal sprocket and treads. At first I will only use the tank indoors due to winter or on the clean hard surfaces outside. I am pretty excited to get into this hobby, I have always loved tanks and would like to have a decent one to use. It seems like Heng Long are the more popular ones that are pretty reliable.
          Just keep in mind you are getting a pretty basic tank and the upgrades that can be done to make it more realistic are quite numerous. Don’t be afraid to modify the tank to your liking as we are all here to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Just keep in mind you are getting a pretty basic tank and the upgrades that can be done to make it more realistic are quite numerous. Don’t be afraid to modify the tank to your liking as we are all here to help.
            Yeah I realize it is a basic one and that's fine because I think I will decide to do the upgrades to it later on, namely the ones you suggested about the road wheels and suspension arms. The biggest thing I want to do to it first is the paint scheme, I don't want a tan paint scheme because that isn't realistic for this tank and the time frame. I am decent at doing something like that and will research it some more so I don't mess anything up when I redo the paint.

Thanks again, these forums are definitely a huge help not just with this version but with all the other tanks as well.

Comment

fooleo73, I ended up purchasing the HL Pershing earlier this year and went with the basic unit that was available at the time. I can say that even in it's basic form, it's a great tank and pretty capable as I do use it outdoors in the grass, dirt, rocks etc. I recently upgraded to metal tracks (using Oxpho Blue) with no other mods yet. I do not drive it like a racecar though as it looks way cooler moving slowly anyway 😎 Bluing the tracks should make them weather a bit realistically, yet still have more of a durable finish than just paint.

The unit I received was more of an olive green in color, but could use touch ups in places and maybe even just an entire re-do of the paint anyway honestly. The "tow cable" end did break off as it's just a plastic piece and not an actual cable on the back, which I'll be updating with a cable at some point soon. Of course, my speaker has blown out... (generally running our tanks at full volume); the only bummer on my unit is the airsoft mechanism is a little weak compared to the other tanks we have. I do enjoy "actually" shooting at targets (and using 6mm paintballs) but we're also looking to do some cool video work with the tanks.

For upgrading later... these are very easy to work on and if I recall, come with the allen key and the phillips screwdriver you would need to do anything on the tank.

Comment

Ccarley thanks for your input! I will have my tank by Monday at the latest and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I appreciate the tip on the Oxpho Blue, I looked it up to see what it was. I'm guessing you apply it like you would paint? I want to try my hand at weathering the tank and make it match an actual one used in a battle. I did see the undercoat of the tank looked olive green so I will be curious to see it's actual color when I get it. I may end up painting it anyways but I don't want to fully disassemble the tank because I'm afraid of ruining it
                I will see what the best way to approach it is once I have it in hand.

I do plan on trying to make it more realistic with some upgrades after doing some research. I really like the sounds on the tank, they seem really good. I will keep an eye out for my speaker as well. I do hope the cannon shoots good because I like that feature a lot.

I am glad to hear that they are pretty easy to upgrade, I'm. not a mechanical or electrical person. I may replace all the road wheels and suspension later on down the line once i have a good grasp on the tank itself and howmit operates.

Comment

I had actually tried a few different methods, the first being like paint using a brush but that was too time consuming, and if there is any residue on the tracks (do clean them first) it gets frustrating quickly. It's a chemical, not paint, so it needs to react with the metal.

I found the easiest method was to pour 1/2 bottle into a gallon zip-lock bag, insert 1 track, and move it around a lot so all the nooks and crannies get the chemical on them. I let it sit for maybe 5 minutes afterwards, rinsed off and then hit the track with WD-40. I did try using Ballistol, which is great stuff, but it ended up being a slick smelly mess. Just something to somewhat displace leftover water and help add some protection works.

Since I did get mine earlier this year it could have been one of those units that just got passed through QA anyway. I'd almost guarantee that even if I replaced the airsoft unit it would shoot better. I doubt my speaker would have been better LOL but I'm researching what I can do to upgrade it. I'm curious though as well to see what sounds the new ones come with, I would be very excited if there is a new MFU that has the Ford GAA engine sound. Mine seems to have a Russian diesel and a Radial (same as in our Sherman, and I use the radial sound with the Sherman).

Another note, the accessories on mine all had holes in the hull that they inserted into. Since you are considering painting it might be worthwhile to fill the holes first and that can give you more options on customization... I need to find more original photos before I dive in that far.

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with for sure! These WWII tanks definitely have a lot of character.

Clay

Comment

I saw my tank was delivered today and I'm anxiously waiting to leave work and see how it looks. I will order some of the Oxpho Blue soon and get the treads done with it. I want to be able to paint them a more realistic color for the tank.

I may hold off putting the accessories on the tank so I can figure out what I want to do with it or I may add them and remove them later when I customize the tank. I need to look it over and figure out the best way to paint it I would prefer to use spray paint and not brush it but I will see how hard it is to take it apart for painting. I imagine the hull comes off fairly easily so you can get to the gear box and motor as needed. I can use my wife's cricut to make any new decals i may need as well.

Comment

Welcome to the Pershing. The top can be made to stay on with just two magnets. The back lights tend to hold the back together. Also, good idea not putting on all the accessories. The Pershing has a lot of cast parts which can be duplicated using Bondo cream mixed with liquid plastic cement stippled on with a stiff brush. Here is a before and after below.
                      Attached Files
                      Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
                        Welcome to the Pershing. The top can be made to stay on with just two magnets. The back lights tend to hold the back together. Also, good idea not putting on all the accessories. The Pershing has a lot of cast parts which can be duplicated using Bondo cream mixed with liquid plastic cement stippled on with a stiff brush. Here is a before and after below.
                        quiherbitchen, first off cool screenname and secondly I like what you did to your turret. I want to repaint the exterior of the Pershing because it looks good however it has spots where the brighter green shows in the creases. I bought some bondo today and I will add it to the turret like you did, tanks aren't meant to be so smooth and clean. I have been researching several pictures and paintings of Eagle 7 and that is the look I am going for. Depending on how this turns out I may pick up a Sherman down the road and style it after SGT Oddball's tank in Kelly's Heroes. With any luck I will be able to get my Pershing looking a little more authentic using your pictures as a reference.

Comment

Here is a link to my pershing thread. Lots of photos.
                          I decided I needed an Allied tank for tank battles. Not a huge Sherman fan, so I went with the M26 Pershing from Heng Long. I bought the all plastic static kit from Toucan for $112 delivered. At that price I figured even if it was just a shell I could make it work. I was surprised how complete it was. Bob had mentioned
                          Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

QB thanks for the thread! I need to get my ass in gear and start working on my build. There aren't too many pictures out there of Eagle 7 in action but I found a few and also a couple of paintings done of the tank. I wasn't going to repaint it but I saw a video on disassembling it and figured it wouldn't be too hard to do. I will have to document the build as I go along with it.

Comment

I've been working on my Pershing build also. I'll have to post some pics.

Comment

I have shown my HL Pershings in another post but since this is a Pershing thread, here are mines again....at different angles.... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6368.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	362445Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6366.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	362446

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6370.jpg
Views:	1034
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	362447

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6369.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	362448

Comment

Nice tanks David! Thanks for the pictures....I like the detail put into them. I know once I finish the Pershing I am working on now I will want to start another on.

Comment

Help I recently bought a brand new professional edition pershing and the bbs wont fire any suggestions to why this is happening?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace190 View Post
                                      Help I recently bought a brand new professional edition pershing and the bbs wont fire any suggestions to why this is happening?
                                      Do you hear the airsoft mechanism trying to fire? If you don't hear that working, it could just be set to not fire. The manual should show how to enable firing, there's a button combo (G and top right button?) that should switch the mode.

Clay

Comment

Thanks I got it working by the way, do you know how to open the pershing?

Comment

Working...
                                        X