Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to hobby have a new M1A2 and a king Tiger from Heng long have tried for the last 3 weeks to find li-on batteries that have more power then the 1800mah that came with them only thing I could find on Amazon was these.7.4v 2800mah Li-ion Battery for Heng Long RC Tank MJX RC Aircraft with L6.2-2P Plug 2 Pack and 7.4V Balance Charger https://a.co/d/0RoCqG3 ,problem was it had a tamiya connection,I bought the adapter that was recommended by someone here in the group was totally wrong did not fit in the new battery or in the tank .Why can’t I find a high power li-on battery with xt-60 connector?

Comment

Hello there megawatt40,

I have been using these batteries in my M1A2 and my daughter's Leopard. They fit most of the tanks except I think the T-72 and T-90 as they have small battery holds.

Being that they have the Tamiya connector, I have been able to use an adapter to convert to XT-60 with no problems. Those batteries are rated at 5600mAh.

That set is *not* 2 of the same adapter, but one of each; it's what I ordered and one of those does work. I totally thought I had 2 and was bummed to find the wrong gender on the 2nd one.

Clay

Comment

Yeah they were the wrong gender on both ends lol! BOught them from Amazon so no problem returning them .Found a xt 60 connector that will fit the tamiya connection and fit into both tank and battery I hope, just finished charging the two new batteries…one took 1 hour the other took about 4 .

Comment

Originally posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
          Thanks for posting. I bought a battery spot welder recently to make my own packs and bought the batteries Panasonics. Rebuilt my black n decker hand vacuum that died and now it has tons of power. The old cells in the vacuum only lasted on the discharger for 4 hours. In the vacuum. 1 minute. New batteries tested on the discharger lasted almost 7 hours. So I guess mine are honest. I wouldn't trust Aliexpress for batteries. I bought mine from some place in Florida that a friend recommended. I bought extra cells to make tank batteries. 15c rating 18650 cells Need to buy wrapping to make the tank batteries. FYI I tried to solder before the spot welder. It was more hassle then it was worth. I took it all apart and got the spot welder. I got nickle 1.5mm connector foil and it worked great in the vacuum.
          You have the right idea and are doing it the right way from the beginning. While the silver solder works in my battery pack, the soldering process is a real pain to manage. I am starting to look for a spot welder too. After some research, I learned that many of the cheap welder on e-bay were so weak that they hardly work. A BIFRC DH30 welder was reviewed and recommended by several person on YouTube. When I started looking for this welder on e-bay, several seller used the pictures of this welder, but are selling something of unknown quality. Others were asking $75-80 which I will consider excessive. What welder did you get and how it worked out for you?

I know several battery seller website from the past. All are asking $18-20 for a Pansonic 18650 battery, making it prohibitively expensive to make the pack. Good luck with your adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post
            Next, I will try to rearrange it to the HL pack configuration. If successful, each of this pack can last a full battle day.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5135.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	367465Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5136.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	367466
            I need to separate the upper 2 cells from the lower 2 cells and add an extension wire to the negative pole. I need to be careful not to damage the sleeves of the individual cell batteries. Folding them to make a long pack and rewrap should be easy. Please, stay tune.
            I will discourage others trying what I did.

I successfully separated the cells in 2 of the packs. The glue used are strong enough to tear the individual cell plastic sleeve open and exposed the bare metal cell surfaces. On the third pack, I allowed the bare metal skin of 2 adjacent cell to touch and create a shortcircuit. It burnt holes on 2 of the metal skin. I blew out the fire immediately. No smell or burn mark left on the bench. I cannot emphasize enough how dangerous this is when the protective plastic sleeve of a lithium battery cell is torn open.

My idea of rearranging this battery pack doesn't work.

Comment

yeah the bottom of an 18650 cell and the sides are all the negative terminal of the cell and its only the little button at the top that is the positive. so if you rip that plastic sleeve you pretty much just make a second negative terminal.

use to use them to make battery packs for electric longboards.

i would also suggest those that dont know what their doing to not mess with these batteries. if what you got doesn't work dont modify them to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_19 View Post
                yeah the bottom of an 18650 cell and the sides are all the negative terminal of the cell and its only the little button at the top that is the positive. so if you rip that plastic sleeve you pretty much just make a second negative terminal.

use to use them to make battery packs for electric longboards.

i would also suggest those that dont know what their doing to not mess with these batteries. if what you got doesn't work dont modify them to work.
                Lithium battery has built-in danger because it elevates rechargeable battery voltage from 1.2 to 4.2 and can provide much higher current up to several amperes. It is very easy to handle them safely. Building battery pack using hard lithium Ion battery cells is safe. It is even easy if you invest in a good spot welder.

The rechargeable battery market is a jungle out there. Most mail order seller/manufacturer inflat the battery capacity 3 to 10 times. RC tank battery packs are no different.

Recently, I need a replacement battery for a 20V Black & Decker portable drill. The original 1.5 Ah pack had reasonable run time. I don't wamt to pay the $50 for the OEM replacement. I tried 4 different 3 Ah replacement from Amazon at $20 each. The first 3 had half the run time of the OEM 1.5Ah. The 4th (ORHFS store brand) one has good runtime and measures 1.8 Ah. I kept it. I have a 6 Ah pack for the 20V Black & Decker which runs much longer. I don't use it much because it does not balance the drill well (too heavy). I have a B&D 2A fast charger for these packs.

I use the SkyRC iMAX B6 smart charger to check battery performance. I download the "Charger Master" software from SkyRC and found it very versatile and easy to use by connecting the charger to my PC. I really like the B6 charger. With the software, it is much easier to access its programing function. But I don't need the PC connection for regular battery pack charging.

Comment

Full power ahead! Well as soon as I make up my new battery power packs, that is.

Name:	0120231306.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	367666

Comment

Originally posted by cmdrcody View Post
                    Full power ahead! Well as soon as I make up my new battery power packs, that is.

Name:	0120231306.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	367666
                    Wow! With a Bonafide 10,000 mAh battery pack, you can win every battle day when your tank continue to roam around after all other tanks exhaust their fuel. Ha! Ha!

Let us know how much your pack can hold after you finish building it.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post

You have the right idea and are doing it the right way from the beginning. While the silver solder works in my battery pack, the soldering process is a real pain to manage. I am starting to look for a spot welder too. After some research, I learned that many of the cheap welder on e-bay were so weak that they hardly work. A BIFRC DH30 welder was reviewed and recommended by several person on YouTube. When I started looking for this welder on e-bay, several seller used the pictures of this welder, but are selling something of unknown quality. Others were asking $75-80 which I will consider excessive. What welder did you get and how it worked out for you?

I know several battery seller website from the past. All are asking $18-20 for a Pansonic 18650 battery, making it prohibitively expensive to make the pack. Good luck with your adventure.
                      Here is what I purchased. BatteryStore.com I bought the 15C 18650 pink cover batteries. $5.99 each All were fresh and held a 7h discharge. I also bought the spot welder and it helps to have a helper to fire the spot weld while you hold it. The level I set was almost 13 to spot weld the 1.5mm nickle I bought.
                      Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

With those larger EBL 5Ah batteries in the Leopard 2A6 battery bay it took a bit of imagination to come about on how to manage the battery plugs since room was quite compromised. Decided to make a through hole in the battery bay for the female battery plug to mate into the male power plug inside the tank body. Still accessible to plug into and remove the battery pack without having to open the tank up. I did purchase a Seesii 11000mAh Battery Spot Welder with LCD Screen on Ebay for $60 shipped and it worked very well on setting No.6 for welding the nickel strips to the EBL battery pack for my T90. Waiting on wiring to complete the assembly of the battery packs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0121231003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.3 KB ID:	367889Click image for larger version  Name:	0121231019.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.5 KB ID:	367890Click image for larger version  Name:	0121231042.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	367891Click image for larger version  Name:	0122230857.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.6 KB ID:	367892Click image for larger version  Name:	0122230857a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.9 KB ID:	367893Click image for larger version  Name:	0122230902a_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.5 KB ID:	367894

Comment

Your spot welder is more then double the power of mine. But twice the price too.
                          Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

I started my spot welder shopping by reading/viewing reviews. Some off-brand ones are so weak in power that they hardly weld at all. I spent several days debating whether to get an inductively triggered welder or a foot switch controlled one. The former is more convenient and the later is safer. My workbench is always somewhat disorganized that could allow the inductively triggered welding pins to touch each other accidentally, causing figure burns or even small fire. I finally decided on an inductively triggered welder and promised myself to use it super carefully. (price is not a factor in the decision.) The welder will be here later next week.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	bifrc-dh30-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.7 KB ID:	367923Click image for larger version  Name:	bifrc-dh30-2.webp Views:	0 Size:	30.3 KB ID:	367924
                            I will report back how well this welder work for me later. For the mean time, you can check out this review on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmXrwUhd9e4

Comment

Ok finally got my new connections for my more powerful batteries Tamiya to XT -60 !

Comment

I have used Tamiya to XT60 converters like those. There isn't any real issues with doing it until the Tamiya connector on the battery starts having a loose connector. At that point I will solder in a new XT60 connector in leu of the Tamiya one.

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                                  I have used Tamiya to XT60 converters like those. There isn't any real issues with doing it until the Tamiya connector on the battery starts having a loose connector. At that point I will solder in a new XT60 connector in leu of the Tamiya one.
                                  The Tamiya plug was an very old design for reliability in the early day of RC hobby. It served its purpose well for many years. It was not cheap to make nor easy to repair. I bought an expensive "pin extractor" to change or repair the Tamiya plugs.

Name:	IMG_5137.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	367959
                                  That was before modern plastic and molding technology making the XT-60 and similar type of plug possible. The XT-60 plugs are cheap to buy and easy to solder. I had changed all Tamiya plugs to XT-60 when I received the slightly older Heng Long tanks. When I bought the SkyRC smart charger a while back, it came with Dean's and others only so I made a Dean's to XT-60 converter.

Comment

Got my long and short battery packs ready for when my wires for completing them get delivered.

Name:	0123231124.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	368033

Comment

Originally posted by cmdrcody View Post
                                      Got my long and short battery packs ready for when my wires for completing them get delivered.

Name:	0123231124.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	368033
                                      Very professional look. My silver soldered packs are not as neat. I have a spot welder on the way. It should make my building process easier.

Comment

This is how the long pack batteries are connected. And then folded to be straight inline.

Name:	0123231015a.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	368036Click image for larger version

Name:	0123231020.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	368037Click image for larger version

Name:	0123231021.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	368038

Comment

Wire got delivered today and completed the battery packs.

Name:	0123232021.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	368090

Comment

Working...
                                          X