Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice to buy a new tank - good options, reliable and that dont break the bank

Hi good afternoon to all.
    I am a newbie to the forum and to tanks also.
    I had some rcs, nitro and eletrical so i have some knowledge. But on tanks i do not, so i will ask for the help of who knows best.
    I would like a small model like 1/16 scale because of price point, i would like something that looks good and it is good (i think its better to pay a litle bit more up front and get a good product than saving and then have to spent more later).
    I heard about heng long tanks but i dont have any experience whatsoever.
    So what i am asking is what do you recommend for a newbie to buy that is nice and reliable?
    I have seen lots of posts also about metal and plastic tracks also, but i did not came to any conclusion.
    it seems plastic is better for light use and indoors and metal to outdoors and HARD use.
    I dont mind to spend a litle bit more $ if its worth it.
    What models do you recommend from HENG LONG or other brands that are reliable and a good balance between quality and price?
    thanks in advance for your help.
    Hope to hear from you soon.

The all metal Bulldog or T-34.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
      The all metal Bulldog or T-34.
      HI live in Poland i was thinking on sending them over by Aliexpress.
      could you please provide the links of both of the suggestions you provided?
      thanks in advnce
      I think it will be a gift for my upcomming birthday, lol

Comment

Plenty of good suppliers in Germany and the Uk.
        Axels Modellbau Shop.
        RC Tank de.
        Heng Long Panzer de.
        Torro Shop de.
        Rc panzer shop de.
        forgebear uk.
        Toucan hobby eu.

Regards Ian

Comment

Sorry I don't buy from ali.

Comment

Sorry, forgot RCTANK.PL. Polish tank forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Meter Rat View Post
              Plenty of good suppliers in Germany and the Uk.
              Axels Modellbau Shop.
              RC Tank de.
              Heng Long Panzer de.
              Torro Shop de.
              Rc panzer shop de.
              forgebear uk.
              Toucan hobby eu.

Regards Ian
              Hi i am newbie into choosing
              i usually use aliexpress because i already have an account created.
              i checked this option

and also

and i also checked this one

one thing i dont understand is the difference of price in this last one, they have 3 versions, one basic green and another white wheathering and another dark gree wich are more expensive but other than aesthetics i dont see any difference in quality or features all are in metal and with metal traks.
              any help would be highly appreciated since there are lots of options when buying and its easy to make a mistake.
              thanks in advance

Comment

Your first has all the metal, second no metal road wheels. The T-34 is all metal and recoil and 360 turret which are nice too.. All three are good reliable tanks. Prices can be all over the place as well as shipping costs. Read the fine print too as sometimes it really doesn't have all the metal you assume it does.

Comment

@cravo​, a few comments to your questions.

1. Buy the Heng Long plastic version tank and do the metal upgrade yourself. HL makes high quality metal parts, but use only the low end metal parts in their pre-built RTR metal version tanks. The two main problems are the non-ball-bearing steel gearbox and the single pin metal track design. A DIY metal upgrade will cost significantly more than the HL RTR metal version, but is well worth it.

2. Buy heavy tank models such as the Abrams, German Leopard or UK Challenge2 which gives you more internal space for upgrade. Once you are comfortable with doing the upgrade, you can tackle the smaller chassis medium tanks such as the T34 or Pershing. I have post some of my mod on these 2 tanks.

3. Buy from sellers who has an EU Heng Long warehouse or figure the cost of air shipping into your budget. Surface mail shipment from China can add 50-70% to your total cost and the long shipment time has a much higher chance of damage to the tank.

Good luck and enjoy your new hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post
                    @cravo​, a few comments to your questions.

1. Buy the Heng Long plastic version tank and do the metal upgrade yourself. HL makes high quality metal parts, but use only the low end metal parts in their pre-built RTR metal version tanks. The two main problems are the non-ball-bearing steel gearbox and the single pin metal track design.

2. Buy heavy tank models such as the Abrams, German Leopard or UK Challenge2 which gives you more internal space for upgrade. Once you are comfortable with doing the upgrade, you can tackle the smaller chassis medium tanks such as the T34 or Pershing. I have post some of my mod on these 2 tanks.

3. Buy from sellers who has an EU Heng Long warehouse or figure the cost of air shipping into your budget. Surface mail shipment from China can add 50-70% to your total cost and the long shipment time has a much higher chance of damage to the tank.

Good luck and enjoy your new hobby.
                    Hi, thanks for the reply.
                    I'm not new to rc and I can do a lot myself, but tanks is a complete new game for me that's why I ask and get info from who knows.
                    I prefer to pay a little bit more up front and get a quality hassle free fun good quality product, than be saving pennies and the. It breaks, have no fun and spend .ore money trying to upgrade.
                    So I need help to get specific links from who to buy and the specific versions that are best with all ball bearings and metal that are less prone to give problems.
                    I already asked prices to this supplier bellow and the recommendation was this one's below.
                    Buldog
                    ? The video is for reference only Item Condition: New and maybe some tanks are refitted(upgraded) by us(if you mind, please ask first before buying), so please read carefully before purchasing. If you need me to upgrade your tank, we would like to help. After Sale Service: If you have got a broken tank caused by shippi

And
                    T34/85

Item Condition: New and maybe some tanks are refitted(upgraded) by us(if you mind, please ask first before buying), so please read carefully before purchasing. If you need me to upgrade your tank, we would like to help. After Sale Service: If you have got a broken tank caused by shipping, please let me know first, we k

Could u please advise your specific version of the heavier tanks you refre from this supplier above?
                    Tanks in advance for your help

Comment

Originally posted by cravo View Post
                      Hi good afternoon to all.
                      I am a newbie to the forum and to tanks also.
                      I had some rcs, nitro and eletrical so i have some knowledge. But on tanks i do not, so i will ask for the help of who knows best.
                      I would like a small model like 1/16 scale because of price point, i would like something that looks good and it is good (i think its better to pay a litle bit more up front and get a good product than saving and then have to spent more later).
                      I heard about heng long tanks but i dont have any experience whatsoever.
                      So what i am asking is what do you recommend for a newbie to buy that is nice and reliable?
                      I have seen lots of posts also about metal and plastic tracks also, but i did not came to any conclusion.
                      it seems plastic is better for light use and indoors and metal to outdoors and HARD use.
                      I dont mind to spend a litle bit more $ if its worth it.
                      What models do you recommend from HENG LONG or other brands that are reliable and a good balance between quality and price?
                      thanks in advance for your help.
                      Hope to hear from you soon.
                      For your first tank the recommended T34 is an excellent choice. Buy it with the metal upgrades. If you want it to be heavier, simply add weights to the inside. The T34 has plenty of open space for adding weight or other items.

Another option is the M4 Sherman which also has an excellent reliability history and numerous accessories and upgrades. Again here to buy the metal upgrades addition.

It is cheaper to buy the metal editions then trying to go back and add the metal parts later. There is an old saying "buy once,cry once". It is a very true saying when it comes to tanks.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply.
                        I'm not new to rc and I can do a lot myself, but tanks is a complete new game for me that's why I ask and get info from who knows.
                        I prefer to pay a little bit more up front and get a quality hassle free fun good quality product, than be saving pennies and the. It breaks, have no fun and spend .ore money trying to upgrade.
                        So I need help to get specific links from who to buy and the specific versions that are best with all ball bearings and metal that are less prone to give problems.

Could u please advise your specific version of the heavier tanks you refre from this supplier above?
                        Tanks in advance for your help
                        I will use the German Leopard 2A6 main battle tank as an upgrade example. You can get the metal version RTR from Toucan for $300 plus shipping. My perferece is to start with the plastic version.
                        https://www.toucanhobby.com/products/th17573-dzn1?_pos=1&_psq=Henglong+1%2F16+7.0+plastic+Leopa rd2A6+RC+Tank+3889&_ss=e&_v=1.0
                        The final cost of a do-it-yourself metal upgrade will be $500-900 depending on the upgrade parts you select. The limit is your bank account. Some of my upgrades shown below met my expectations, but are far from the top notch choices.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4962.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.4 KB ID:	387630 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4980.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.0 KB ID:	387631 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4969.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.0 KB ID:	387632 Click image for larger version  Name:	09.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	387634 Click image for larger version  Name:	12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.5 KB ID:	387635 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4988.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.8 KB ID:	387633

Comment

As a first tank I wouldn't touch the T-34 with 10' poll, my t-34 arrived with one broken suspension arm and 3 more broke with indoor testing. Tiger 1's have all been very reliable for me, have two and so far nothing broken. Sherman has also been pretty good as well

Comment

T-34. Good tank.
                            Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Guys thank you all for all the advices given.
                              I REALLY appreciate them all.
                              Regarding to buy a cheap plastic and them upgrade it, it's just not my idea, I'm used to do it if needed and of something breaks but if I can buy something not to break and with better performance and more running time without problems I prefer it.
                              So for now the options are narrowed to:

Heng long M41 walker buldog all metal
                              Professional edition

https://www.toucanhobby.com/products/hl-70-3839w-1cc-dzn1?_pos=16&_sid=4629dac1f&_ss=r&variant=42854942 703866

Heng long T-34

https://www.toucanhobby.com/products/hl-70-3909-1cc-ss-dzn1?_pos=14&_sid=f8af821e7&_ss=r&variant=42849660 174586

Heng long M4 Sherman

Item Condition: New and maybe some tanks are refitted(upgraded) by us(if you mind, please ask first before buying), so please read carefully before purchasing. If you need me to upgrade your tank, we would like to help. After Sale Service: If you have got a broken tank caused by shipping, please let me know first, we k

from all this three options I would like to know:
                              Wich one has the highest clearance underneath?
                              Wich one has the wider tracks?
                              do they have bearings?
                              Is it possible to use q lipo battery on it?
                              2s lipo?
                              And a 3s lipo?
                              Any other options to consider of this 3 tanks like any other better configuration of this presented?
                              Thank you all for your advices
                              After the reply I will try to see Wich I like more and decide.

Comment

Originally posted by Meter Rat View Post
                                Sorry, forgot RCTANK.PL. Polish tank forum.
                                Hi, I don't see the polish forum because I am living in Poland but I do not speak polish for now.
                                so language is an issue for me.

Comment

Guys thank you all for all the advices given.
                                  I REALLY appreciate them all.
                                  Regarding to buy a cheap plastic and them upgrade it, it's just not my idea, I'm used to do it if needed and of something breaks but if I can buy something not to break and with better performance and more running time without problems I prefer it.
                                  So for now the options are narrowed to:

Heng long M41 walker buldog all metal
                                  Professional edition

https://www.toucanhobby.com/products/hl-70-3839w-1cc-dzn1?_pos=16&_sid=4629dac1f&_ss=r&variant=42854942 703866

Heng long T-34

https://www.toucanhobby.com/products/hl-70-3909-1cc-ss-dzn1?_pos=14&_sid=f8af821e7&_ss=r&variant=42849660 174586

Heng long M4 Sherman

from all this three options I would like to know:
                                  Wich one has the highest clearance underneath?
                                  Wich one has the wider tracks?
                                  do they have bearings?
                                  Is it possible to use q lipo battery on it?
                                  2s lipo?
                                  And a 3s lipo?
                                  Any other options to consider of this 3 tanks like any other better configuration of this presented?
                                  Thank you all for your advices
                                  After the reply I will try to see Wich I like more and decide.
                                  All three are about equal in ground clearance.

The M41 has the widest track followed by the T34. The M4 has the narrowest track although aftermarket tracks for the M4 are available which increase the width substantially.

Yes Lipos can be used on all three. If you run a 3s lipo it is best to switch the tank into the low power mode. This reduces the availability of power down to 70% of maximum. Doing this helps ensure you do not overheat or burn anything out. The tanks do have under and over voltage safety shut downs, but it is best not to rely on them.

The M41 is a good tank but you must make sure it is the version the has the newer sprocket guide tooth retaining rings. These are rings added to the inside of the sprockets that act to keep the track teeth inline and thus reduce the track "walking off" the sprockets. The M41 unlike the M4 and T34 does have a greater tendency to loose tracks. Hence why the retaining rings were added to newer versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

All three are about equal in ground clearance.

The M41 has the widest track followed by the T34. The M4 has the narrowest track although aftermarket tracks for the M4 are available which increase the width substantially.

Yes Lipos can be used on all three. If you run a 3s lipo it is best to switch the tank into the low power mode. This reduces the availability of power down to 70% of maximum. Doing this helps ensure you do not overheat or burn anything out. The tanks do have under and over voltage safety shut downs, but it is best not to rely on them.

The M41 is a good tank but you must make sure it is the version the has the newer sprocket guide tooth retaining rings. These are rings added to the inside of the sprockets that act to keep the track teeth inline and thus reduce the track "walking off" the sprockets. The M41 unlike the M4 and T34 does have a greater tendency to loose tracks. Hence why the retaining rings were added to newer versions.
                                    Hi
                                    I was checking the difference of prices ans on this case with shipping it's a difference of 99 USD.
                                    Being on AliExpress cheaper buying from the same store as the one refered above.
                                    Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! 1 093,18zł 35%OFF | Toy 1/16 HENG LONG 7.0 Customized Walker Bulldog RTR RC Tank 3839 Full Metal Tracks Wheels Smoke Unit Airsoft Gift TH17329-SMT5
                                    淘宝网 - 亚洲较大的网上交易平台,提供各类服饰、美容、家居、数码、话费/点卡充值… 数亿优质商品,同时提供担保交易(先收货后付款)等安全交易保障服务,并由商家提供退货承诺、破损补寄等消费者保障服务,让你安心享受网上购物乐趣!

How is this possible?
                                    And how can I know what version it is and if it has the new sprocket guide retaining?
                                    and how to set the low power mode?

Comment

Hi
                                      I was checking the difference of prices ans on this case with shipping it's a difference of 99 USD.
                                      Being on AliExpress cheaper buying from the same store as the one refered above.
                                      Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! 1 093,18zł 35%OFF | Toy 1/16 HENG LONG 7.0 Customized Walker Bulldog RTR RC Tank 3839 Full Metal Tracks Wheels Smoke Unit Airsoft Gift TH17329-SMT5
                                      淘宝网 - 亚洲较大的网上交易平台,提供各类服饰、美容、家居、数码、话费/点卡充值… 数亿优质商品,同时提供担保交易(先收货后付款)等安全交易保障服务,并由商家提供退货承诺、破损补寄等消费者保障服务,让你安心享受网上购物乐趣!

How is this possible?
                                      And how can I know what version it is and if it has the new sprocket guide retaining?
                                      and how to set the low power mode?
                                      If it looks to good to seem true, it is most like a scam especially on Chinese websites. Buy from the US, Canada or European supplier. Take a look at HAYA.com they are out of the UK and carry a lot of HL products. Also look at Motionrc.com they have a European warehouse that they ship from. Motion is also the owner of this forum.

Typically the 7.0 versions are coming with the new sprockets. I say typically because that not a hard and fast rule. The sprockets can be purchased separately so if yours does not have the new sprockets you can still add them.

Setting the tank to Lower Power is covered in the instructions. It is a simple mater of selecting it via the TX (transmitter).

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

If it looks to good to seem true, it is most like a scam especially on Chinese websites. Buy from the US, Canada or European supplier. Take a look at HAYA.com they are out of the UK and carry a lot of HL products. Also look at Motionrc.com they have a European warehouse that they ship from. Motion is also the owner of this forum.

Typically the 7.0 versions are coming with the new sprockets. I say typically because that not a hard and fast rule. The sprockets can be purchased separately so if yours does not have the new sprockets you can still add them.

Setting the tank to Lower Power is covered in the instructions. It is a simple mater of selecting it via the TX (transmitter).
                                        sorry now i will post the link and the company is exactly the same as the one i poste above but it shows a smaller price on aliexpress with shipping to my location.

Comment

Working...
                                        X