X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumors of Future Releases

I'm starting this thread because I received some interesting info. Anyone and everyone is welcome to add info they may have heard, to either add new or corroborate existing info!

First, this is from a sole but reliable source. Tongde's next product will (probably) be a Churchill tank. No date and no official announcement. I give this rumor some credibility since Coolbank Wang had posted a 3DP hull mockup about a year ago, and he announced the M60 before we knew about Tongde.

Picture of a real one:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ChurchillVII.jpg Views:	2 Size:	164.8 KB ID:	387869
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Second rumor. This is from the same source, but I haven't seen anything else to corroborate it. After the Churchill Tongde has plans to produce an M-109 SPG. (Picture is of a real one, just for reference.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	m109-paladin-004.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	387871

Comment

After my TongDe M60 experience, I am somewhat less emphusiastic about TongDe than new subject from Hong Long. Coolbank Wang picks good topics. But the execution of TongDe product makes it much more expensive to upgrade to the level I want.

The price of a plastic Merkava is less than $222 shipped now. It includes the metal torsion arms. It will be interesting to see how it compare to the M60, both of which have torsion bar suspension.

Comment

I gotta say don’t buy the plastic tanks get the metal upgrade version because it is so much better in hardware.

I don’t believe anything coolbank posts. He was ousted from Tongde and no longer works with them which I was told by Tongde factory rep in communication.
        In discussion offering ideas of new tanks I was also told what the likely next tank will be from Tongde but I was asked not to reveal it. I will say it was WWII and has never been produced and it’s not coolbanks m5 Stewart.

your leads are great Bob, and hopefully will happen, both would be popular I think but I need neither unfortunately.
        RC tank parts and accessories I make
        www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

SD KFZ 250 Please!
          Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
            I gotta say don’t buy the plastic tanks get the metal upgrade version because it is so much better in hardware.
            Rich, I respectfully disagree.

3 years ago, I purchased a metal version German Leopard 2A6. I replaced the steel gearbox with a Heng Xin gearbox because the HL does not use their ball bearing gearbox in the RTR tank. I replaced the metal track with a pair of Tamiya tracks. The HL single pin track just looks terrible on the tank. I could have save over $100 if I started with the plastic version. I got the Mato idler wheel for their ball bearing design and the sprocket too.

My next three tanks are the T-34/85, Sherman and TD M60A1. I started with the plastic version and did the metal upgrade piece meal. It costed quite a bit more than getting the HL metal RTR version, but I got the high quality component that met my expectation. Most important, I enjoyed the DIY metal upgrade process. It gives me a sense of controlling the metal component quality and satisfaction of customized tank.

Do my customized tank run better than the HL RTR metal version? Probably not when they are new. The ball bearing gearbox will wear better than the HL sleeve bearing steel gearbox. The more important factor is that the Tamiya track and Torro track look so much better than the HL single pin track in running. I did not notice that at the beginning until @Rubinson99 alerted me of the difference.

Comment

I'd love to see some British tanks so we can have some variety for the battle side of things. Churchill, Matilda, a Cromwell from anybody but Hooben, Crusader I dunno.

Comment

Damn NDAs!!! Be assured GOOD stuff coming.....👍👍👍

Comment

Ok, here's something new by Tongde, posted on FB today. It's a T-90. I originally thought it was just (!) a metal version of HL's existing model. Not so!

First, the wheels have rubber tires, something TD has done with all their releases so far.

Name:	386747807_1033932484500984_6525671635239306424_n.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	387939

Second, the rear deck opens to access the on/off switch.

Name:	386186271_1033932514500981_5757719435158120095_n.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	387937

Finally, their gearboxes, and torsion bar suspension!

Name:	386169323_1033932584500974_2714855072863401419_n.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	387938
                  Tongde Models are made by Shantou Tongde Craft Products Co. They also make the Mato line of metal tanks.

Comment

I guess they thought there was a need for that?

Comment

Originally posted by MrChef View Post
                      I guess they thought there was a need for that?
                      Yes, there is, for those who can afford it. There are many over $1K RC tanks on the market. Tongde should be able to keep their price well below that.

MotionRC has a similarly configured Torro Tiger 1 and King Tiger at under $600 and sold quite a few of them.

The Heng Long plastic hull is strong and rigid enough for RC tanks, but the Tongde plastic hull is much weaker from my one tank (TD M60A1) experience.

Comment

I've read that the T-90 is a very big seller. I imagine TD does their market research.

Comment

TD doesn't seem to care that the market for T90s and T72s is flooded with excellent option already. Heck they make Abrams, Leopard 2s and a Centurion that all have good quality competing brand options.

I can understand the metal hull with torsion bars, though this hasn't proved beneficial in the HL metal hull version of the T90/72. The metal upper hull and turret???. They only add A LOT of weight and to a tank that uses 380 motors stock that can be problematic for handling performance outdoors. Fortunately there is enough room to swap out the under powered 380s for the much more powerful 390s.

With upgraded 390s coupled with what is surly going to be a very heavy tank it should make for good performance off road.

Now let's hope they use the HL tracks or one dimensional similar so that we can use some of the excellent aftermarket T90/72 dual pin tracks that are available. I suspect that if they are being manufactured by Mato we can 🤞🤞expect the T90/72 Mato tracks and sprockets to work with the TD.

Comment

There is also a video clip on TD's FB page. The links look like they're supposed to be double pinned, but it's hard to tell.

Comment

Already have a T72 and a T90 so this is not something I'm even remotely interested in and I own quite a few Russian tanks. That's ironic because I own few German tanks and my heritage is German.

Just another rehash. I really wish companies would bring something new to market if they are going to go through the expense of cutting new molds. A nice Hellcat would sell well in the WW2 space. The Brits are under represented in the hobby and there are so many tanks to choose from there. I know not everyone has a 3D printer and not everyone like's Inkor's tanks, but damn he listens to the people that are buying them and what they want. He's torturing himself right now designing a T28 Super heavy (Yes, the T95 in World of Tanks). Been trying to convince him to do a T29. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post
                                I can understand the metal hull with torsion bars, though this hasn't proved beneficial in the HL metal hull version of the T90/72. The metal upper hull and turret???. They only add A LOT of weight and to a tank that uses 380 motors stock that can be problematic for handling performance outdoors. Fortunately there is enough room to swap out the under powered 380s for the much more powerful 390s.

With upgraded 390s coupled with what is surly going to be a very heavy tank it should make for good performance off road.
                                I have been searching for technical specification of the 390 motor without any luck. Mabuchi published full specification of their 380PH and 380SH motors, including torque vs. rpm plots. There is no mentioning of 390 on the Mabuchi website.

The 390 seems to be a Mabuchi 380 knockoff with an internal cooling fan added to allow higher rpm. Some high end RC shop emphasize that their 390 use the same components as the Mabuchi 380 (ball bearings axle, precise balanced armature etc.) Still, nobody publishes 390 performance curves like the Mabuchi spec for 380. The higher rpm of the 390 definitely gives it more torque. The best way to get more horsepower is to move up to the 540/550 series motors like some of the high end Heng Long gearbox.

On my M60, TD use a completely different mounting approach for the gearbox. I replaced the TD 380 with the Tamiya 380. But there is no room for the 390 even for a very large tank chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post
                                  I have been searching for technical specification of the 390 motor without any luck. Mabuchi published full specification of their 380PH and 380SH motors, including torque vs. rpm plots. There is no mentioning of 390 on the Mabuchi website.

The 390 seems to be a Mabuchi 380 knockoff with an internal cooling fan added to allow higher rpm. Some high end RC shop emphasize that their 390 use the same components as the Mabuchi 380 (ball bearings axle, precise balanced armature etc.) Still, nobody publishes 390 performance curves like the Mabuchi spec for 380. The higher rpm of the 390 definitely gives it more torque. The best way to get more horsepower is to move up to the 540/550 series motors like some of the high end Heng Long gearbox.

On the M60 TD uses a completely different mounting approach for the gearbox. I replaced the TD 380 with the Tamiya 380. But there is no room for the 390 even for a very large tank chassis.
                                  The M60s hull is narrower then the T90/72 so fitting 390s is problematic. I also added Tamiya 380s to one of my M60 and found they actually perform less effectively then the stock HL 380 motors I used to replace the TD 380s.

390s have much longer "cans" vs 380s and stronger magnets then 380 motors. There primary use is for added torque and a little better top speed. The 390s with their superior torque curve "smooth out" the all around handling of heavy tanks with aggressive tracks. They do it better then ANY 380 motors can even if the 380s are run at high voltage.

Yes 540 and 550 are superior to 380 and 390 motors running at the standard 7.2v, but they only fit in a small number of tank hulls and need special gearboxes usually running in and around the 4:1 ratio range = medium to slow speed. Running 390s at 9.6 volts our higher actually produces a power output equal to or slightly higher then 540/550s running at 7.2 volts. Plus no special gearboxes with a low speed ratio is needed.

I have good video on my IG that clearly show this depicted in a race between one of my M41s with 390/stock HL gearbox running at 8.4v vs a HL Leopard 2 running with a HL "cross drive" 550 motor gearbox running at 11.1v. The Leopard 2 is only slightly faster. Had I been running at 9.6v which is typically the voltage I run 390s at the Leopard 2 would have not won the race or at least I would have tied it. This is not a one off as part of the "battle days" put on at the Ca. clubs are simple fun obstacles courses and tank racing. In such we have learned a lot by the head to head competitions and diversely different tank set ups.

Name:	F2347DD9-2897-44DF-A138-738F0B22D8E0.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	387965

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                                    Already have a T72 and a T90 so this is not something I'm even remotely interested in and I own quite a few Russian tanks. That's ironic because I own few German tanks and my heritage is German.

Just another rehash. I really wish companies would bring something new to market if they are going to go through the expense of cutting new molds. A nice Hellcat would sell well in the WW2 space. The Brits are under represented in the hobby and there are so many tanks to choose from there. I know not everyone has a 3D printer and not everyone like's Inkor's tanks, but damn he listens to the people that are buying them and what they want. He's torturing himself right now designing a T28 Super heavy (Yes, the T95 in World of Tanks). Been trying to convince him to do a T29. :)
                                    Tongde seems to be going in the direction you desire. First a Centurion with only the $1000+ Tamiya product on the market, then an M-60 in three versions, an M2 Bradley that nobody ever made, all with either plastic or metal components, and a potential Churchill or others on the way. All these are new to the market in the last year. Even the all metal T-90 is not a rehash of the HL product. It incorporates some unique features, as is visible in the advance photos.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post

Tongde seems to be going in the direction you desire. First a Centurion with only the $1000+ Tamiya product on the market, then an M-60 in three versions, an M2 Bradley that nobody ever made, all with either plastic or metal components, and a potential Churchill or others on the way. All these are new to the market in the last year. Even the all metal T-90 is not a rehash of the HL product. It incorporates some unique features, as is visible in the advance photos.
                                      The TD Centurion was a surprise given that the Haya Centurion at $500 and Tamiya at ~$1000 came out long before TD released theirs. If only we could get the TDs at a lower TYD price they would be easily outselling the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

The TD Centurion was a surprise given that the Haya Centurion at $500 and Tamiya at ~$1000 came out long before TD released theirs. If only we could get the TDs at a lower TYD price they would be easily outselling the other two.
                                        It is the cost of shipping from China (Hong Kong) that is holding back the Tongde RC tank products. Until a US distributor starts TD inventory in North America, Heng Long as sold by Toucan US warehouse has a 40% advantage in total cost.

Comment

Working...
                                        X