Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescued Abrams build

Hi everyone
    thought I’d post about me upcoming build. I’m a 30 year RC veteran with tons of car/boat/heli crashes under my belt.
    Bought into the tank world. My new tracked tyke is a used, rescued HL 1/16 Abrams, with some sort of drive wheel issue. It has the cool double rubber tracks and all that jazz Saved over 200$ I was going to fully disassemble, so it’s perfect.
    Be patient, first time with this forum. Goal is super scale early 90’’s Desert storm.

build list for now
    HL Abrams (used, issue TBD)
    machined sealed gearbox’s
    2 Holmes hobbies 33t 380 sized motors for ultimate in smooth control
    metal axle bearings
    upgraded speaker
    1/16 trumpeter kit for details/molds
    3d printed chassis support
    addition custom chassis support as needed for longevity

Awesome scale goodies

goals
    light on chassis/ heavy down low . Scale speed, and utmost longevity. Some sort of moisture protect control for PNW sky water issues.

to do later
    Clark board
    tamiya IR
    barrel stabilization

1st delivery today!!
    Trumpeter 1/16 m1a2 sep mbt
    Holmes Hobbies 380
    scale goodies

Comment

Originally posted by Handy Lance View Post
      Hi everyone
      thought I’d post about me upcoming build. I’m a 30 year RC veteran with tons of car/boat/heli crashes under my belt.
      Bought into the tank world. My new tracked tyke is a used, rescued HL 1/16 Abrams, with some sort of drive wheel issue. It has the cool double rubber tracks and all that jazz Saved over 200$ I was going to fully disassemble, so it’s perfect.
      Be patient, first time with this forum. Goal is super scale early 90’’s Desert storm.

build list for now
      HL Abrams (used, issue TBD)
      machined sealed gearbox’s
      2 Holmes hobbies 33t 380 sized motors for ultimate in smooth control
      metal axle bearings
      upgraded speaker
      1/16 trumpeter kit for details/molds
      3d printed chassis support
      addition custom chassis support as needed for longevity

Awesome scale goodies

goals
      light on chassis/ heavy down low . Scale speed, and utmost longevity. Some sort of moisture protect control for PNW sky water issues.

to do later
      Clark board
      tamiya IR
      barrel stabilization
      Do yourself a favor and buy the newer 7.0 version of the HL Abrams as it comes with a factory idler adjustment system. This will save you a lot of time a frustration down the road. Buy once cry once kinda thing.

Also consider using 390 motors not 380 motors. The 380 motor class tend to be rather underpowered in the larger modern tanks and you will see sluggish handling when driven "off road" especially if you use more accurate aftermarket tracks with real "rubber" pads.

if you are going to add servo recoil look at the units made by RichJohnson Models N Stuff. Hands down one of the smoothest recoil systems available.

Comment

Hey yeah! I agree completely
        I got the 7.0 version plastic lower, all metal drivetrain.

I almost did the 390 upgrade, but these Homles Hobbies are built WAY better than any 380-390. Full ball bearing with neodymium internal magnets. Not your average 380. Alas only the future knows for sure.

I’ve decided to build the static and RC side by side. The RC will get all the scale details, while the static will be kit bashed, painted and weathered first for practice before I commit to the RC version.

ordered some Birchwood perma blue for the tracks
        I think it’s the best way I’ve seen.

thanks for tuning in👍🏻

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

if you are going to add servo recoil look at the units made by RichJohnson Models N Stuff. Hands down one of the smoothest recoil systems available.
          emailed today for new recoil.

Comment

Mail Call!
            axle bearings
            speaker
            scale spent cartridges for very very last. They are so cool!!

I can’t believe it! It seems brand new. I paid under 250$ for it. I’ll get into it next week. Going to pull it completely apart. Re do any connections/wiring I don’t like, fix any issues with alignments and strength. Full stainless steel Allen head swap is happening as I reassemble. I’ll Get the suspension action more scale. Probably be a long process🥰 it is pretty cool right out of the box!

stay tuned for updates.
            thanks for anyone who’s contributed to the info on this Abrams online. I’ve read EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!

Comment

It’s all in the details! I’m getting pretty excited. I work 1 day a month in a hobby store (need that discount🤣) and we just got a huge new Vallejo display and our Tamiya paint selection is epic. Started on converting front track aprons to rubber.

Comment

There was a hub in the drive wheel. I saved over 200$ 🤣🥰. This is fun. Sure enough the bag had a hole in it and a hub fell out and wedged in the drive wheel at some point in transit. If this is the only issue, I’ll be satisfied.

Comment

There was a hub in the drive wheel. I saved over 200$ 🤣🥰. This is fun. Sure enough the bag had a hole in it and a hub fell out and wedged in the drive wheel at some point in transit. If this is the only issue, I’ll be satisfied.
                  Probably is the only issue that it was sent back for. Surprisingly a lot of people have no idea how to diagnose a simple issue and take corrective action. Instead they just send it back saying it is broken and they want a new one.

Comment

Probably is the only issue that it was sent back for. Surprisingly a lot of people have no idea how to diagnose a simple issue and take corrective action. Instead they just send it back saying it is broken and they want a new one.

well I’m fine with that. It’s got a good home now👍🏻

let’s get her apart and check for any aux damage from trying to run with one track wedged. Prob fine but………

Comment

If you are a huge Abrams fan and plan to drive it a lot and make it a primary rc tank you play with, I would reccomend Tamiya Abrams tracks. While not for the budget printed folks at $250 bucks, the operation of it is superior to every other track available on the market.

Rubicon found a trick with Tamiya Leopard 2 track that it runs very well on the HL Abrams as well and while it doesn’t look exactly right, it runs with far less issues than the metal tracks do., and it’s cheaper than Tamiya Abrams track.
                      RC tank parts and accessories I make
                      www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

well I’m fine with that. It’s got a good home now👍🏻

let’s get her apart and check for any aux damage from trying to run with one track wedged. Prob fine but………
                        The 7.0 MFU has an "overload" shut off that engages when the tracks become jammed so I suspect you will find nothing wrong with it. But replacing it with a 7.1 or other aftermarket system is alway a good thing plus you can add servo recoil and elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                          If you are a huge Abrams fan and plan to drive it a lot and make it a primary rc tank you play with, I would reccomend Tamiya Abrams tracks. While not for the budget printed folks at $250 bucks, the operation of it is superior to every other track available on the market.

Rubicon found a trick with Tamiya Leopard 2 track that it runs very well on the HL Abrams as well and while it doesn’t look exactly right, it runs with far less issues than the metal tracks do., and it’s cheaper than Tamiya Abrams track.
                          Yeah I’ll wear through these first. Put them on the static model and get a set of Tamiya ones next.

I’ve already begun fabricating a new aluminum front skid to fit in the depression, tow hooks and all. I’ll also be adding HDPE (thin cutting board) under the hull to take the majority of abuse, stiffen things up.

step 1 new front tank skirts (got a sweet way to mount clamped w/ tiny scale bolts) I prefer mechanical over chemical adhesion.

step 2 front skid

step 3 disassemble!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The 7.0 MFU has an "overload" shut off that engages when the tracks become jammed so I suspect you will find nothing wrong with it. But replacing it with a 7.1 or other aftermarket system is alway a good thing plus you can add servo recoil and elevation.

so no recoil in 7.0?

Comment

so no recoil in 7.0?
                              Yes and no. Stock NO servo recoil, but there is a small add on circuit board sold that can convert the 7.0 to have servo recoil. Servo recoil is very different then BB cannon recoil.

Still it is better to go with the 7.1 because you get A LOT more the just servo recoil and servo elevation options. 7.1 is a much more robust system.

Comment

Yes and no. Stock NO servo recoil, but there is a small add on circuit board sold that can convert the 7.0 to have servo recoil. Servo recoil is very different then BB cannon recoil.

Still it is better to go with the 7.1 because you get A LOT more the just servo recoil and servo elevation options. 7.1 is a much more robust system.
                                well ok then 7.1 might be it
                                I’m going TK80 eventually, can’t seem to find one.

Comment

so no recoil in 7.0?
                                  The TK-7.0 does support recoil using the trigger motor. HL markets a recoil system for it.

The trigger motor recoil allows you to keep the BB shooting too. It recoils as fast as the servo recoil, but the return is not damped (too fast). It is not as realistic as the servo recoil, but a 100 times better than the tank body shaking recoil.

You will have to remove the BB feeding housing from the old unit because the recoil unit does not come with a spare housing. The task of removing the BB housing can take hours because it was glued down very well. Installing the recoil/BB shooting takes only a few minutes. I have the trigger motor recoil on Pershing, T34 and Sherman and like them.

I will install servo recoil and servo elevation on the HL Leopard 2A6. Only servo barrel elevation can simulate the automatic gun loader. The Abrams does not have automatic gun loader.

Comment

well ok then 7.1 might be it
                                    I’m going TK80 eventually, can’t seem to find one.
                                    Yeah, looks like Kenny from DAK RC tanks is out of TK80s at the moment. I have dealt with him before, I just shot him an IM to see if he's getting TK80s anytime soon. If you buy 7.1, make sure you buy the one with the Abrams sound set as there are two sound sets. Only one of them has the Abrams loaded on it.

Comment

I did talk to Kenny @DAK RC Tanks and he did say he had some TK80SPG2 boards.

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                                        I did talk to Kenny @DAK RC Tanks and he did say he had some TK80SPG2 boards.
                                        Cool!
                                        guess I’ll take a look
                                        messaged him *crosses fingers*

Comment

Working...
                                        X