Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rescued Abrams build

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowered the smoke unit to clear my lower chassis brace. The additional attachment point on the smoke fluid tank came in handy. My 7.1 showed up in the mail along with more scale goodies!! Got some weathering ahead captain!

Thanks for watching

Comment

Love this build. If I may? I will be nicking some ideas from you, when I rebuild my Abrams. However would you please make your pictures bigger. My ageing eyes are struggling to see what you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Meter Rat View Post
        Love this build. If I may? I will be nicking some ideas from you, when I rebuild my Abrams. However would you please make your pictures bigger. My ageing eyes are struggling to see what you are doing.
        Ha cool
        yeah go for it! I’m posting to share, and keep myself motivated as I do ALOT of stuff. You should be able to click on the picture to open it and make it bigger. If not I’ll try to upload larger.

Here is the last shot before I prime the chassis .
        Black is 1/8 (welded to tops of wheel screw arches and sides of chassis) abs, white is 1/16. I can not describe the difference in strength , yeah more weight, but down low.
        cutouts are for air flow around the 7.1. I will be doing a push pull fan system to keep this nice and cool. I have found that is key to electronics longevity.

side rails are attached with E6000 a rigid bond will fail between abs and aluminum in this application, so I went with E6000, cross rails will be screwed in aka removable.
        Attached Files

Comment

Primed chassis and polished removable cross braces.

Hope you had a good weekend too!

Comment

One front apron done. So much better!!!
            clamped in tight so no glue binds to fail. They are strong. Used old aprons as clamps. Screws are tiny screws for RC crawler rim rings. Locked up RC has lots to choose from. Another cool feature, they are steel so rust will naturally develop on the ends.

Final mockup of chassis.

First Hull details!!! It will have so much to look at! New fuel filler handles. Almost had doors open, but effort to detail equation didn’t add up. New handles will paint so much better and leave shadows the molded ones wouldn’t have.

cheers

Comment

aluminum kid plate and stainless steel Hot Racing tow anchors in. Aluminum should scratch up perfectly😂 super protective. Anchors aren’t quite scale, but some grinding will help. They are threaded into the skid and plastic epoxy behind so they can actually pull stuff out.
              Some more super cool Spec ops stuff, handles instead of the molded nubs we are given👍🏻

cheers everyone

Comment

I found some 6mm plugs that work perfect for the remaining screw holes. Will help keep gunk out.

Using the Trumpeter kit parts to scale out the RC tank is fun. Made some super cool tow cables with some stainless steel multi strand and the tow cable ends from the model kit. Looks so much better and will weather after paint nicely.

I’m getting the 2 tanks to an equal completion. It takes twice as long.

working on trumpeter headlight conversion for the Heng long , fairly involved stuff

stay tuned!

Comment

Painting wheels. Whew tedious as Hell! I had to make a wheel helper for the spray booth (it holds an entire tanks set of wheels) . That’s my custom made lexan spray booth with a down draft table🥰 8 inch inline fan into a 24 inch carbon filter. I needed to spray indoors year round.

I was able to neatly fit the Trumpeter back end on. It will be more difficult to put the HL backend on the Static tank🤣I will be running smoke through it like others have👍🏻diffused on start up only .

Comment

Oh man it’s behind is lookin good 👍🏻 I basically used the HL back as a frame to mount all the Static parts. I used thick CA with acceleration spray to attach polystyrene to the abs. Fills gaps and sands ok.
                    nerve wracking but I feel like the end product may be worth every drop of blood

Comment

I got the backend, looking really good! Lots of great details instead of some simple moldings
                      don’t worry about the shiny. It’ll get a coat of matte finish. The difference is laughable. I put the oem backend on the kit😂😂

I hacked up some trumpeter photo etched details. We will see😮‍💨

Comment

Anti slip coating will add a really nice texture to the smooth HL factory finish.

light sand
                        mask
                        thinned gloss acrylic
                        tap to tinkle home made sieved additive on top
                        let dry for 3-5 minutes
                        turn model on side and tap off excess (gently )
                        let dry
                        Top coat with thinned gloss
                        let dry
                        lightly sand to remove high particles and uniform texture
                        prime
                        paint

12 steps

12 panels
                        😂🤣😂🤣

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	400632 Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	400631
                          Got one side tow cable mounted. Once primed and painted it’s going to be so cool. Although tiny looking, Cable anchors will “grow” with finishing. Contrasting with the black cable perfectly. Cable will benefit from being removable, another great scale feature lacking in both the Trumpeter kit and Heng Long tank.
                          I had to put a metal barrel on the trumpeter 7.62 MG
                          music wire with heat shrink for flash suppressor, pin drilled into kit gun. It’s strong now, the kit barrel was going to break for sure during any use.

🍻

Comment

Double post
                            Sooooooo…
                            workbench👍🏻

Comment

I assume you have this for placement of the anti-slip coating?

Click image for larger version

Name:	M1_Abrams_Non-Slip_Surfaces.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	400656

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                                I assume you have this for placement of the anti-slip coating?

Click image for larger version

Name:	M1_Abrams_Non-Slip_Surfaces.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	400656
                                more or less👍🏻
                                copying the Trumpeter kit

Comment

More kit pieces fitted on the HL turret👍🏻

I have to make the doors open!

Comment

Hinged the barrel elevation shroud. It is going to work so great. Imbedded magnet holds it down and lets it slide, left it raw so you could see the trimmed down du-bro hinges. Another cool detail left out of both HL RC and Trumpeter kit.
                                    There’s a slightly larger magnet under turret to allow the small magnet to slide without losing contact.

Comment

My tension system is top notch. I put so much test strain on it, the old ones would have just ripped out. Not a mm of movement. Some red loctite and no loosening tensioner on my watch.

Storage/armor baskets primed and ready to paint. Spent a bit of time fitting acrylic windows into cupola and drivers hatch.

A hilarious bonus, I’m headed to prime my wheels and whined as I picked up the bag full of raw metal wheels with immovable rubber tires. I laughed and noticed as I was disassembling the tank I had cut myself masks for all the wheels!!!! Past Lance was a good dude😂

I'm loving this build.

cheers!!!

Comment

Mocking up scale details getting ready for final paint.

Comment

I couldn’t resist one more photo😂
                                          some of these scale details I found are pretty fun

trash bags I made
                                          MREs Spec ops
                                          ruck sack EBay

Comment

Working...
                                          X