Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official RotorScale UH-1A Medic Green 450 Size Helicopter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official RotorScale UH-1A Medic Green 450 Size Helicopter Discussion Thread

Motion RC is pleased to announce our release of the RotorScale UH-1A Medic Green 450 Size Helicopter. This is the official message thread to post photos, videos, flight reviews and any questions about this scale 450 helicopter.

Product Page: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...helicopter-pnp

Introducing RotorScale’s new lineup for sport scale PNP helicopters! At Motion RC, we believe there is more to RC helicopters than 3D acrobatic flying, so we’re excited to bring together scale realism and modern stabilization software in an economical, user-friendly package.

With the quality of Roban fiberglass fuselages the RotorScale 450 PNP Helicopter Series seeks to bring scale helicopter flying within the reach of pilots with basic collective pitch flight experience who are looking to move upward toward larger scale 500-800 size helicopters.

Using a 6S 1100-1500mAh battery, fly for 5-6 minutes while exploring the flight envelope of this sport scale stabilized helicopter. The durable fiberglass bodies are finished in automotive paint and clearcoat for durability, and feature sharp panel lines, rivets, and other surface details.

Digital servos provide precise and responsive action, and breakaway landing gear plates help divert damage during hard landings away from major frame components. If ever required, the internal frame can be completely removed from the body in a few minutes with eight screws. Fully backed by Motion RC’s world renowned service, a complete line of spare parts is available to keep you flying.

INCLUDES:
    • RotorScale UH-1A Medic Green 450 Size Helicopter - PNP
    REQUIRES:PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:

SKILL LEVEL : INTERMEDIATE
    Class / Size 450
    Power Type Electric
    Rotor Type Collective Pitch
    Body Material Fiberglass
    Overall Size (L x W x H) 750 x 180 x 250mm
    Empty Weight (w/o Battery) 890g
    Main Rotor Diameter 740mm
    Main Rotor Blade Length 325mm
    Tail Rotor Diameter 162mm
    Tail Rotor Blade Length 61mm
    Tail Drive Type Belt
    Cyclic Servos eMax ES09MD metal gear
    Tail Servo eMax ES9258 metal gear
    Power System 450L-1800kV Brushless Motor
    Electronic Speed Control 50A Brushless with XT60 connector
    Recommended Battery 6S 22.2V 1100 - 1500 mAh LiPo with XT60 Connector
    Required Radio 6 Channel
    Skill Level Intermediate
    Build Time 1 Hour
    Recommended Environment Outdoors
    Click image for larger version  Name:	mastera_9e41cfed-b582-4f23-8b1f-88877704d092_1024x1024.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.5 KB ID:	156466
    Attached Files
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Ooh, official thread time! I'll begin transferring some of the photos from other threads here to this one to keep them in the same place moving forward. To start, here are some of the optional 3DPUP files we've created for the UH-1A for those who want more of a gunship vibe. We've had lots of fun customizing these fiberglass bodies. Their shells are easy to drill to add antennas, weapon stations, lights, and other external upgrades. I use a 2mm drill bit and commonly available 1.75x6 screws from Freewing. Screwing the parts on make them easy to remove or replace.

All the 3DPUP files will be made available for free download. If anyone has a request for another type of 3DPUP to further customize the RotorScale UH-1A, please let us know here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180925_231837.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.8 KB ID:	156470Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180926_022221_1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	162.7 KB ID:	156471

Lots of the interior is accessible for customizing, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9782.JPG
Views:	5997
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	156506Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9758.JPG
Views:	5460
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	156507
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Some in-flight photos as well.

Name:	_DSC0896.JPG
Views:	5182
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	156480Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0859.JPG
Views:	5195
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	156481

Name:	_DSC0871.JPG
Views:	5118
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	156484Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0902.JPG
Views:	5105
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	156483
      Attached Files

Comment

The forward fuselage is magnetic with alignment pins, and removing it allows easy access to the mechanics for inspection and servicing. We've also lowered the stance on the landing gear further than these pictures show, to improve durability and the scale look.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC0790.JPG Views:	1 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	156486Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC0791.JPG Views:	1 Size:	87.7 KB ID:	156487

The tint is semi-transparent, as seen in the picture below. Note also the easily removable tail cover to access the tail assembly in the second picture.

Name:	_DSC9793.JPG
Views:	5218
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	156488Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9792.JPG
Views:	5265
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	156489

Comment

I am definitely encouraged by these offerings in 450. The belt drive sounds good. The fiberglass bodies sound good. If I hadn't already bought the L-39 I might order one. I have been waiting on something like this for a long time.
          I really like what I am seeing lately from Motion. Keep up the good work guys!

PS. Alpha I don't know if you would have to license it or not, but we sorely need a Bell 206 Jet Ranger in this size. A Blue Thunder wouldn't hurt either...Santini Air while we're at it
          I can just imagine the Huey in the morning fog at our field....I would have to put lights on it eventually.
          Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Hi, the side door guns - side mounted M-60's, it was called the M-23 sub system basically the same lower mount with an ammo box and M-60 with dual hand grips rather than a shoulder stock.

L’M23 e’ un sottosistema d’arma difensivo progettato espressamente per l’elicottero utility Bell UH-1 a fusoliera lunga (Model 205 o UH-1D/H) nei primi anni Sessanta. Esso s…

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi_craig View Post
              Hi...]
              Kiwi_Craig, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I just posted a couple days ago looking at doing a scale conversion on a 360 Trio. This is something I am very interested in!! Thanks Motion for not forgetting about us heli bubbas! I'm in the same boat as seaviper though. Just purchased an 8s Phantom. Gotta hurry up and start saving more pennies. Would love to see an SH-60B! Even though it's not scale, I would definitely do a Huey in this scheme. Was in VXE-6 Operation Deep Freeze from 96 to decommissioning in 99 as an LC-130 engine mech.

Comment

I was trying to do stuff like this a few years back with some old Align sport models and some fiberglass fuselages from Germany. It was too expensive and too hard to get parts. So, I really want to get a look at one of these.

My experience with flybarless controllers has pretty much been limited to MicroBeast.I would like to see how this open source controller performs. Sounds like a winner to me.

I hope they eventually do some different scale versions such as a Bell 206, SH60, Cobra, etc.

Comment

Any idea on when these 450 helicopters will be available?

Comment

Yup, super excited about this one, and repeating the same question "when do we get one!!" I really like the fact that these are a belt driven tail as I hate torque tubes.

future models? Apache, Sikorski, ...

Comment

What I'm worried about is replacement parts, if you look at some of the Roban 700-800 size helis the parts are not in stock, so can you tell us if there will be a good supply of replacement parts for these 450 scale helis??

Comment

It's a fair point, Dcorsair, and a concern we're preparing for. The larger helos are different in some respects since there's lots of pent up demand for them from years past that outpaces restock rates at times, but those are improving. For these 450s, the math is less mysterious since we know how many of these we're putting into the market and thus have a clearer view of quantities needed to support those products. We've got many SKUs including all the usual parts that will break on these helicopters first (blades, rods, etc) including more in-depth SKUs such as complete screw sets. It's difficult to break a screw, but it's always nice to have spares nearby, nonetheless.

Comment

Hmmm - I am beginning to get the distinct impression that the 450 scale range is unlikely to be available and on the shelves, for quite a while yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone 7 View Post
                              Hmmm - I am beginning to get the distinct impression that the 450 scale range is unlikely to be available and on the shelves, for quite a while yet.
                              Yes, it seems that way. Hey Alpha, is there any kind of update message that you guys can give? Why the delays, etc? Not asking for a delivery date, just a status check.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post

Yes, it seems that way. Hey Alpha, is there any kind of update message that you guys can give? Why the delays, etc? Not asking for a delivery date, just a status check.
                                Marketing well and truly jumped the gun, methinks. I would not order one until such time as the all too familiar 'Out of Stock' tag becomes less of a label for Motion RC - particularly where it comes to spares.

Since I am already flying 450, I have had time to rethink and have decided to move on to a larger Scale option, rather.

I am grateful for the delay, as it has saved me from an impulsive spend.

But that is not to say that when this product finally becomes available, it is not a good option - providing the necessary spare parts are readily available!

There is certainly a gap in the 450 size scale market - which somebody has at least, finally recognised.

Comment

Lack of spare parts is a show stopper for me. I really miss the Century helicopter days...that was the golden age of helicopters. You had Hirobo, Kyosho, Century, and Miniature Aircraft with tons of sport models. Now all you have is blinged-out 3d which are all over priced.

Comment

The lack of response on this, the listed 'Official Thread', tells me that they really have not got their act together on this one. A great pity, as the original concept was good. I certainly wouldn't be ordering one until the first releases have been tried and tested in the market place (which includes the ready availability of ALL spare parts).

Comment

Hi guys. Alpha has been super busy on some new and existing projects so he has been unable to respond for a few days. Mark and I will try to cover for him in this thread for a bit. The simple explanation is that we are waiting for our order. So far we've received a small order of 450 PNP helicopters and about 30% of the spare parts. This is not enough to launch a new line of helicopters so we're waiting for the remainder of the order. Maybe we got over excited and shared these too early. I'm not sure where the happy medium is. If we keep things to close to the vest, I feel like we are keeping you guys in the dark and I don't want to keep you guys in the dark. If we let the cat out of the bag too early, you can see what happens. Hopefully we can find a happy medium.

Comment

Fair enough Tom! Thanks for the update - far better to keep the customer honestly informed, in the face of unexpected delays. You are doing the right thing in ensuring that you have an adequate inventory of spares before releasing any of the helis. I always take in some of the more obvious spares when buying a new heli, as part of the order.

Comment

Working...
                                        X