X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHOW OFF YOUR PAINTING WORK HERE

Noticed we didn't really have a thread yet for showing off our various masterpieces!

Figure if we post up some images in one spot it could serve as a good reference and perhaps a little creative inspiration for others looking to customize their planes.

First ever airbrush job on a RC plane and so far the only complete repaint I've done, North Africa/Mediterranean FMS FW-190

Small Accent to my FMS PT-17 Stearman, nothing major just added the white chevron to the top wing.

And again a small change to personalize my plane, mixed some paint to match the stock orange and painted the tail of this Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver

And something I may do for my future airbrush jobs just because it looks cool, but a quickie time-lapse of the tail getting done.

RE: SHOW OFF YOUR PAINTING WORK HERE

Here's my first 2 attempts with painting.

Freewing Pandora.

Durafly P-51D Passion Wagon
    [hr]
    One other winter paint job.  Old Crow
    Attached Files
    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

My first attempt at a repaint. Plane was a FW Iron Ass. SOB is that a real piece of 190 sheet metal?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ADKer21
        My first attempt at a repaint. Plane was a FW Iron Ass. SOB is that a real piece of 190 sheet metal?
        I wish! I actually got it custom made from a guy in Pennsylvania and that's his thing makes replica plane parts for display. Still a bit pricey, but it looks legit and really adds a whole lot to any aviation themed office or display! And for a lot less than the real deal would cost.

Comment

I customized my T-28 and my V1 Skytrainer!
          here is the Skytrainer my "rotten banana" first foam paint job

finally decided to paint my Sky Trainer. it is not done yet i still have pin-striping to do.

and pics of the T-28
          Attached Files
          Flight Risk (Sean)
          AMA # 986105

Comment

My buddy picked up the Flyzone Cessna 182 locally for a good deal, but hated the stock graphics. So we found a scheme online and I painted it up before it maiden.

Went more military with it for a trainer type aircraft, took a little creative license, most of the decals are just wet transfer for a 1:48 scale model, so he's gonna order some properly sized graphics from callie, but so far not too bad. Looks pretty good in the air, dark lower fuse also helps with orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by SOB8604
              My buddy picked up the Flyzone Cessna 182 locally for a good deal, but hated the stock graphics. So we found a scheme online and I painted it up before it maiden.

Went more military with it for a trainer type aircraft, took a little creative license, most of the decals are just wet transfer for a 1:48 scale model, so he's gonna order some properly sized graphics from callie, but so far not too bad. Looks pretty good in the air, dark lower fuse also helps with orientation.

Nice!!  Clean and simple lines....
              Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
              Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Repainted the beaver, got inspiration from airliners.net and went to work.

Process: Once I removed the decals I used some rubbing alcohol and paper-towels and rubbed down every surface of the airplane, I had originally painted the tail orange so I got most of that paint off also. After removing the cowling, faux engine, wheels and masking the windows I hit it with 2 coats of minwax polycrylic spray, first coat quite light and the second coat a bit heavier to get good even coverage. I then used regular spray paint for my priming, was a bit nervous about this but going at it with several light coats on top of the fully dried (overnight) minwax I had no problems what so ever, used krylon fusion paint. Yellow paint was also krylon fusion, green was Tamiya flat green and the silver was Tamiya Chrome, the green was airbrushed on and the chrome painted in by hand. Black nose glare paint was Tamiya flat black. Wen't over some of the smaller details, added paint to the motor to give it a more scale apperance, painted the inside of the cowling black, painted the hinges and door handles and also went over the stock window frame decals with yellow to tie it all together. I let this dry for a full day and then gave it 4 coats of the minwax polycrylic. Which gave it a really great shine, and in some places it's hard to tell its even foam!

Really happy with the results!

Comment

WOW! This so nice. Wish I could do something like this!

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix
                    WOW!  This so nice.  Wish I could do something like this!
                    Thank you! And you can do it too! Just takes some planning and practice, I'm by no means artistically inclined, I started practicing airbrushing on cardboard and Styrofoam!

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. I do some airbrush work and found that a good airbrush is a must. What kind do you use? Thanks.

Comment

Of course! I've been using a cheapo $20 brush from Harbor Freight, was a gift at Christmas, but has been working quite well for me so far.

Comment

Originally posted by SOB8604
                          Of course! I've been using a cheapo $20 brush from Harbor Freight, was a gift at Christmas, but has been working quite well for me so far.
                          Thanks and have a great Memorial Day!

Comment

Nothing major, just adding that personal touch that I like to put on my planes, red fuselage band and cowl! Freewing AT-6/SNJ-5

Comment

How or what are you using to tape off with ? Every time I tape off it pulls off what ever it's stuck to .

Bryan
                              But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Bryan,
                                I'm just using regular blue painters tape. When putting it strait on the factory paint it is inevitable that when I pull the tape off some of the stock paint will come up with it. To mitigate that what I am having success with is putting 2 coats of minwax water base polycrylic spray and letting it set for a day or two before I mask to airbrush, it certainly helps but it is not 100% and I'll still find myself touching up the stock paint.

With both ways I only really push down the edge of the tape that I am actually painting on and either use newspaper or towels to cover the remaining area, less tape the better.

Comment

WOW you guys are killing me. Those are some amazing looking planes. While I wanted to add some color to my Sukhoi SU-29MM sport plane I think I want to respray my Sport Cub. Now I have to go searching for a cool design. Thanks for the ideas and inspiration.

Comment

Awesome work guys! Definitely some good looking schemes. Here are a few pictures of a few of my repaints of a PZ P-47, Durafly Corsair, LX F-35 and LX F-4. Sorry for the impending picture overload..

Comment

Very cool redos. What prop is that on the Corsair, APC 15.5 trimmed down?

Comment

Originally posted by Davy101
                                        Very cool redos. What prop is that on the Corsair, APC 15.5 trimmed down?
                                        Yep that's it. APC 15.5 trimmed down to 13.5, running on a dynam 650v motor and 80A ESC on 4S.

Comment

Working...
                                        X