X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay boys, Grumman Day at the field!
    Took the Tigercat and the Bearcat out. Winds were up down 180 degrees all over the place, interspersed with some calm moments. Took the Bearkitty up first, this thing does nothing but impress!!! I'm just nailing down battery position with her, so far the 4000 lined up with the forward edge of the wooden battery hatch floor seems to be best. The president of our club, Jeff was out today as well and it proved to be a good thing.
    So, out with the Tigercat. She was a tight fit in the back of the truck but I got her in.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9645.JPG
Views:	598
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	73674Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9646.JPG
Views:	599
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	73675
    Then it was off to the field.
    Taxied her around and did a high speed run, all seemed fine, tracking fairly well. New batteries, Hail Mary and off we went with half flaps. Christ!!! Get her up and retract the gear, but I'm holding in a lot of up elevator otherwise she wants to nose dive. Retract the flaps, better. Some trimming on the elevator and the ailerons, nothing unusual. Try dropping flaps and she starts to lawn dart, retract the flaps and she's fine again. Too much elevator/flap mix!!
    Way too much, making the flaps unusable. So, here we are on a maiden with winds and no flaps. Of course the wind dies down to watch ol' Dan try and get this thing on the ground. Bring her around and line her up, man she doesn't like to slow down. Practice run and I get her down but not enough runway left, touch and go! Bring her around for the second time. Better, settles about half way down the runway, gives me a hop and settles for the second time, whew, down!!
    So, being a tail dragger guy up to this point, I'm thinking, I need to push forward and settle the nose. But I do a rookie mistake and advance throttle instead!!! Immediately kill it again and taxi her off a clear spot on the side of the runway, no harm done.

Name:	IMG_9647.JPG
Views:	635
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	73676Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9649.JPG
Views:	624
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	73687Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9650.JPG
Views:	607
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	73677
    Sock being normal, a few seconds later, it went 180 degreesClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9651.JPG
Views:	591
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	73678Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9652.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	73679Jeff's plane

Name:	IMG_9654.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	73680 Back home on the lawn both in one piece, well actually two!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9655.JPG
Views:	587
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	73681Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9656.JPG
Views:	602
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	73682Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9657.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	73683Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9658.JPG
Views:	587
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	73684Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9659.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	73685Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9660.JPG
Views:	591
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	73686
    So, needless to say, the mix got reduced to 1 on half flap and 2 on full and I'll take it from there, I 'd rather it be a little nose high than a lawn dart.
    Really, other than that, she's sweet, although that was her first and only flight of the day, I learned some things, number one, how much I miss the gyro but it's time to learn to do without it. In my opinion, a little aileron/rudder mix would help too so I added that (yeah I know, there's two sides to this story, but I like it so....)
    Once my heart rate gets back to normal, I'll try it again. BTW. I ran two 3600's, top one all the way forward, I'm going to pull it back to slightly more than the parallel position of the 4000's and I'll stick to the 3600's until I get everything ironed out. Flew about 5.5 minutes and still had 51% so not bad at all!!

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Awesome mate.

Comment

• Good stuff, G-man! They're both beautiful planes. Nice work!

Comment

• I use a slow 10% mix on he flaps/elevator without any balloon or dive. I'm surprised it seems like it won't slow down, mine will just hang in the air compared to the P-38 which is much heavier...it might be that old hard stuff you're landing on ;)
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Awesome job Grossman. Those are some good looking planes and good job on the maiden.
            Still Learning:D

Comment

• Thanks guys, now if I could only master the fine art of shooting video while flying!!
              You should see that little pocket rocket of a Bearcat go vertical, it's insane!!
              I have to do some more flying with her yet just to get used to the power to weight factor and zero in on the battery position, she doesn't take much throttle input to maintain speed, so when landing, you need like one or two clicks of throttle max to keep her in the zone, with the stock system it was almost double that, so I roll throttle off on the down wind leg, drop gear and flaps, pull her around to final and nurse the throttle to bring her in, she's extremely impressive.
              If you want a thrill with your Bearcat, 650kv/85AESC/1400mm Corsair prop is a great way to go. One day I'll get my hands on an HSD Skyraider prop that Charlie recommends then we'll see.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                Thanks guys, now if I could only master the fine art of shooting video while flying!!
                You should see that little pocket rocket of a Bearcat go vertical, it's insane!!
                I have to do some more flying with her yet just to get used to the power to weight factor and zero in on the battery position, she doesn't take much throttle input to maintain speed, so when landing, you need like one or two clicks of throttle max to keep her in the zone, with the stock system it was almost double that, so I roll throttle off on the down wind leg, drop gear and flaps, pull her around to final and nurse the throttle to bring her in, she's extremely impressive.
                If you want a thrill with your Bearcat, 650kv/85AESC/1400mm Corsair prop is a great way to go. One day I'll get my hands on an HSD Skyraider prop that Charlie recommends then we'll see.

Grossman56
                Delta actually endorses that prop on this bird. Prefer the setup you have that I recommended using the Corsair 14" prop :Cool:
                Absolutely recommend that Skyraider prop on the 1500 P-47 using the 4258-550kV motor on 4S ;)
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Few glam shots of my FMS 1400 P-51D Ferocious Frankie taken about a year ago. Nearly 100 flights on her now... She's pretty stock with a couple of small mods: landing lights, radio antenna in proper position, intake grill.
                  The withering was done with airbrush and sealed with 3 coats of matt polyurethane.
                  Cheers

Comment

• Nice work, Mixdup! She looks beautiful.

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Delta actually endorses that prop on this bird. Prefer the setup you have that I recommended using the Corsair 14" prop :Cool:
                      Absolutely recommend that Skyraider prop on the 1500 P-47 using the 4258-550kV motor on 4S ;)
                      I stand corrected, to be truthful, I don't know how much more you'd want out of this bird. When I landed the last time, I noticed I had pulled a control horn out of one of the ailerons, no biggie, out with the Foam-Tac, but I'm not sure whether it was coming loose or it was the amount of force on the aileron.
                      Still, so cool to see this 1200mm airplane act like the real full scale!!

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
                        Nice work, Mixdup! She looks beautiful.
                        Thanks, there's nothing like a bright sunny day to show off a bright yellow nose ;)
                        cheers

Comment

• Or a blue one... :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
                            Or a blue one... :)
                            I'll second that.:)

Comment

• Hello guys!

I paint mainly scale model aircraft and armor but have recently started to paint and detail my RC Aircraft as well. Here is my recent scale work,Will display some of my RC Paint work soon. :)

Also, be sure to check out some newer work and RC Projects on my actual Instagram page as well :)

8,040 Followers, 671 Posts - Aviation enthusiast, hobbyist, history buff and Disney fan. >Scale model builds, reviews and tips. >Commission work by request. For more info DM

Click image for larger version  Name:	20160927_204704.jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	77277Click image for larger version  Name:	20160927_204645.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	77278Click image for larger version  Name:	20160927_204952.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.8 KB ID:	77279Click image for larger version  Name:	20160927_205021.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.9 KB ID:	77280

Comment

• Quick question fellas. Going to start my first paint project soon. What sort of paint is best? I know some paints eat foam. Just a water based acrylic or..?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
                                  Quick question fellas. Going to start my first paint project soon. What sort of paint is best? I know some paints eat foam. Just a water based acrylic or..?
                                  hey mate,
                                  my technique that works well (Frankie still looks as good as the day I painted it over a year ago...)

1. Prep surface with light sand and check for paint that comes off easy. You'll need to get rid of that. No point doing a sweet job and have it peel! Rub off with metho usually does the trick.
                                  2. Wipe down the surface with metho before a quick coat of water based polyurethane from a spray gun. Satin or Matt works best.
                                  3. For large areas I use water based acrylic (house paint). Sample pots are good and a good tip is to check out the mis-tinted ones that paint shops and hardware stores (Bunnings) sell for a couple of bucks. You can usually pick up some greys and blues. Have a go at mixing colours to get close to what you need. Thin with a little acrylic thinner or metho. Water is ok but not the best if its cold or humid.
                                  4. Small areas or if you need accurate colours I use Tamiya acrylics with an airbrush.
                                  5. Spray light, multiple coats. Don't go crazy! You be surprised how thin you can get it.
                                  6. When done with main scheme, apply a couple of coats of clear WBPU (water based poly urethane). Gloss is best here especially if you now need to put on decals.
                                  7. Once decals are on two more coats of WBPU to seal them. Matt or gloss - whatever your preference.
                                  8. Weathering can now go on if desired. I use airbrush and dry brushing techniques.
                                  9. Another final coat of WBPU can go on over weathering but I find it doesn't look as realistic as the texture of the weathering can get lost.

The WBPU takes a week or so to really get hard but when it does it's like a protective shell over the foam. Helps a bit with hangar rash!

BTW - the WBPU does not add a great deal of weight. A lot of the carrier evaporates when drying. Don't worry if it looks a bit 'milky' when it goes on. Once dry it disappears to be fully clear.

happy painting!
                                  Cheers

Comment

• With very few exceptions, mine are all water based. One thing to note, that if you do go an oil based paint, you can't paint a water based paint over it. it will work the other way around, but not oil first. The great thing about WB is that a hair dryer can get you back in the game quickly, I do several layers of light spray and dry each one with a hair dryer. For instance, the latest was La Patrona. Off to Ace Hardware for the Silver grey color sample, brushed two layers of that over Krylon Foam primer, then started in with the pearl clear coat using a spray gun. Six layers of that each dried with the hair dryer, then applied the decals, then three coats of clear (Spar Varathane), applied with a brush again, (over the decals as well each dried with the hair dryer.

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks boys. Much appreciated. ;)

Comment

• Hey guys!

Started doing some detail work to my FMS 1700mm Corsair. Its obviously not going to be a complete paint job, just details and weathering. Completed and shown are the exhaust marks. Next i'll just be adding some more small details and some fading.

Comment

• Niiiiiiice!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:
                                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
                                          X