Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's my latest redo project, an FMS 1500mm P-47D razorback. Of course, it comes in the livery of a famous and successful AAF pilot who flew in the Pacific Theatre. Nothing wrong with that, but I wanted to change it up. This scheme I chose was a replica of a plane, Hairless Joe, flown by Maj. Dave Schilling of the 56th Fighter Group in 1943. This early model had no wing pylons, bombs, rockets, or wing drop tanks. They did carry a single drop tank underneath the fuse, though. Their missions were defending the bombers or searching out enemy fighters to shoot down, or even shoot up targets of opportunity on the ground.

I first stripped all the stickers off the plane. They leave a mark, maybe it is the glue interacting with the foam, but I used a automotive putty to smooth that over, then priming and painting with Tamiya rattlecan spray paints. I tried to do some weathering, being careful not to go overboard doing it. So, some chalks, mixed paints with the airbrush, etc., gave it the effect I was looking for. Also did a lot of detailing the cockpit, although most of that will be lost on the observer, with the birdcage canopy over it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0054.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	351729Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0029.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	351730Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0052.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	351731

Name:	IMG-0047.jpgadjusted.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	351726Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1170.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	351727Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1183.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	351728

Comment

• Looks good Dave, a lot of work has gone into this plane, just finding it was a major accomplishment!
      Back in April, I repainted Ron's Pandora but didn't post the results, so here they are. Used some decals from the Tigercat kit to dress it up a bit.

Name:	IMG_5652.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	351733Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5653.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	351734Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5654.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	351735

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
        Looks good Dave, a lot of work has gone into this plane, just finding it was a major accomplishment!
        Back in April, I repainted Ron's Pandora but didn't post the results, so here they are. Used some decals from the Tigercat kit to dress it up a bit.

Name:	IMG_5652.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	351733Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5653.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	351734Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5654.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	351735

Grossman56
        Yeah, it was a bit of an odyssey trying to get that model in my hands. But then, wouldn't you know it, they are now available on Amazon!!! But I'm glad I did get one to finish up in these colors.

The repaint of the Pandora looks great! I like the military paint scheme with the WWII stars and bars!👍👍😁

Comment

• davegee VERY nice work, the cockpit and pilot look great as well. I especially like the rivets around the canopy.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
            davegee VERY nice work, the cockpit and pilot look great as well. I especially like the rivets around the canopy.
            Thanks, Hugh. It's been a long road. First, the Covid and subsequent shipping issues trying to order one, then getting ripped off by someone who seemed on the level and honest but wasn't, and then finally finding one in Austria, of all places. The plane itself is a good flyer, and its outline is pretty good, much better than even some current and more expensive balsa planes are. The other one that I have is also a great flyer, and I thought I'd take one more stab at doing this one.

Detailing went pretty well, about as much as I care to do for a foamie to make it special, and things like working cowl flaps and other details I've done on larger contest planes, so I didn't want to go though that brain damage again. Yesterday's flights it was back in the groove again, and I plan on flying it regularly.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20220710_000953.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	372102Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-13 at 04-22-17 Matteo Valbusa.png
Views:	229
Size:	621.1 KB
ID:	372103Click image for larger version

Name:	20220710_000333.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	372101
              BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• t33jetman. Beautiful work, Sir. Great livery choice and very nicely done. Best, LB
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                  t33jetman. Beautiful work, Sir. Great livery choice and very nicely done. Best, LB
                  Thank you Elbee, I do appreciate the kind words.
                  BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• Nice work guys. I like Shilling's bullet proof glass, a common thing that gets left out. The Korean 86 is fabulous too.
                    Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Fabulous work folks...
                      My YouTube RC videos:
                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• T33, you just keep knocking it out of the park!!!
                        Beautiful doesn't describe it!!

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Name:	20220721_003533.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	372710Click image for larger version

Name:	20220801_121019.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	372711
                          Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                          T33, you just keep knocking it out of the park!!!
                          Beautiful doesn't describe it!!

Grossman56
                          Thanks Grossman, now for my next trick....Ala ka zam..

Comment

• t33jetman. it just gets better and better. I do love finished cockpits and sliding canopies. Great build, Sir. Best, LB
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Name:	IMG_2859.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	378647
                              GINA

Comment

• kallend, Gorgeous repaint. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                X