Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got some ghost testing and numbers. Did total of 6 flights today, 5 of which were tested and recorded in similar flights.

I changed the nozzles to custom made kit bash of F-15 and F-18. I ended up with 55mm per nozzle.

I switch between the 1900kv 9 bld unit and the 1960kv 12 bld units.

I used 6000 50c 6s HRB’ and 5000 50c 6s HRB’s.

My test flights were all conducted the same. Take off heading south, climb out to the right, level off in down wind backing off to 60% throttle, turning base to final and level off going upwind down the runway to the south and punching to full throttle. Hold full throttle until banking right to head back down wind. At this point I cross over and do figure 8 changing direction, now heading south back field back to 60% throttle, banking left to head north down the runway (about 25’ AGL) punching to full throttle, this time end of runway I go vertical keeping full throttle until it falls out. I the let it glide back down to level off again about 25’AGL now heading south. I punch it full throttle and at the south end of runway I go vertical again until it falls out.
    After that I drop back down fly three right hand circuits. One is a cool down about 50% throttle, second is gear check, third is half flaps dropping full on final.

One test I had two bad approaches because of wind gust. That’s why the longer flight time. My timer is set to 3 minutes, but I also use battery cell call outs.

Results.
    1960kv 12bl
    1, 6000 flight ended 33% left
    Wind: 2.5 SSE, top speed recorded 103 mph, top altitude 270’ AGL, time 3 minutes.

2, 5000 fight ended 30% left
    Wind 2.5 S, top speed 108 mph, top altitude 367’ AGL,
    Time 0:02:50 .

3 5000 flight ended 22% left
    Wind 3 SSE, top speed 104 mph, top altitude 496’ AGL, time 0:03:30

1900kv 9 bl

1, 6000 flight ended 28% left
    Wind 3.5 S, top speed 102 mph, top altitude 227 AGL, time 4 minutes

2 5000 fight ended with 32% left
    Wind 3.5 S , top speed 98.6 mph, top altitude 397’ AGL, time 3 minutes.

I am happy with what I got out of my nozzle mod and the new 1960kv 12bl until.

Gravy​

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
      Finally got some ghost testing and numbers. Did total of 6 flights today, 5 of which were tested and recorded in similar flights.

I changed the nozzles to custom made kit bash of F-15 and F-18. I ended up with 55mm per nozzle.

I switch between the 1900kv 9 bld unit and the 1960kv 12 bld units.

I used 6000 50c 6s HRB’ and 5000 50c 6s HRB’s.

My test flights were all conducted the same. Take off heading south, climb out to the right, level off in down wind backing off to 60% throttle, turning base to final and level off going upwind down the runway to the south and punching to full throttle. Hold full throttle until banking right to head back down wind. At this point I cross over and do figure 8 changing direction, now heading south back field back to 60% throttle, banking left to head north down the runway (about 25’ AGL) punching to full throttle, this time end of runway I go vertical keeping full throttle until it falls out. I the let it glide back down to level off again about 25’AGL now heading south. I punch it full throttle and at the south end of runway I go vertical again until it falls out.
      After that I drop back down fly three right hand circuits. One is a cool down about 50% throttle, second is gear check, third is half flaps dropping full on final.

One test I had two bad approaches because of wind gust. That’s why the longer flight time. My timer is set to 3 minutes, but I also use battery cell call outs.

Results.
      1960kv 12bl
      1, 6000 flight ended 33% left
      Wind: 2.5 SSE, top speed recorded 103 mph, top altitude 270’ AGL, time 3 minutes.

2, 5000 fight ended 30% left
      Wind 2.5 S, top speed 108 mph, top altitude 367’ AGL,
      Time 0:02:50 .

3 5000 flight ended 22% left
      Wind 3 SSE, top speed 104 mph, top altitude 496’ AGL, time 0:03:30

1900kv 9 bl

1, 6000 flight ended 28% left
      Wind 3.5 S, top speed 102 mph, top altitude 227 AGL, time 4 minutes

2 5000 fight ended with 32% left
      Wind 3.5 S , top speed 98.6 mph, top altitude 397’ AGL, time 3 minutes.

I am happy with what I got out of my nozzle mod and the new 1960kv 12bl until.

Gravy​
      Sounds like a winner now for sure, good to see performance improvements on the F-15 that actually work........

Comment

• Howdy All. I just ordered the F-15, but then I had a friend tell me this bird is way overweight and underpowered. He said it's nearly 3 pounds heavier than other planes with the same power system. I looked at the specs and it seemed like it was of similar weight. I don't fly crazy, I just like stuff that looks scale and flies well getting up and down. Should I keep it or send it back for something that doesn't require a lot of modifications to get it to fly well. Thanks!

Comment

• It's heavy and fly's like it's heavy. While I love the look of it there's no way it's a favorite to fly. I tried a 8s set up and it just added weight. Now were at 3700 FT. so that also makes a difference.

Mike
          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• I've actually seen it fly well. I don't have one but a friend does. I can't comment on it not flying heavy but after watching him fly it a few times, it looks like a fun one to fly. Takeoffs and landings were smooth. Inverted fligh, easy. He flew it stock. I wonder what the newer power system would do for it.

Also, I would think 8s would be the wrong direction weight wise.

Comment

• Originally posted by bylawes View Post
              Howdy All. I just ordered the F-15, but then I had a friend tell me this bird is way overweight and underpowered. He said it's nearly 3 pounds heavier than other planes with the same power system. I looked at the specs and it seemed like it was of similar weight. I don't fly crazy, I just like stuff that looks scale and flies well getting up and down. Should I keep it or send it back for something that doesn't require a lot of modifications to get it to fly well. Thanks!
              I would keep it, it flies great, yes it's heavy and flies heavy but you will enjoy if you fly it scale, my buddy put the new 90mm fan unit in it and modified the exhaust nozzle, he says it flies so much better and faster too.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

I would keep it, it flies great, yes it's heavy and flies heavy but you will enjoy if you fly it scale, my buddy put the new 90mm fan unit in it and modified the exhaust nozzle, he says it flies so much better and faster too.
                I would love to know what mods your friend made. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by bylawes View Post

I would love to know what mods your friend made. Thanks!
                  Okay, if he sees your post he will jump in I'm sure, he posted a few posts up, Gravy the Clown, look back on this page and you will see his mods, I know he put the FW 90mm F-18 exhaust nozzles on the F-15, I will let him tell you what he does so I don't get it all wrong....

Comment

• Yep I love my F-15 now. As DCORSAIR said, I changed out to the new 1960 12 bld unit. That helped get it to the close to the 100 mph range the real magic came from modifying the exhaust duct. There are 3D print files for inserts out in the forums if you look but I when a different route.
                    I got a set of F-18 nozzles and bashed them together with the F-15 nozzles. End result is my F-15 is now a F-15EX and holds its own to the likes of the F-5 and Vulcan now.

Gravy
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Delete double post

Gravy

Comment

• ‚Lazy man‘ inserts

Comment

• Gravythe clown Holds it's own with the F5? In terms of speed and thrust to weight?
                          I just got an F5 as turkey day, prezent to myself, with the new motor/ esc. I.kept reading that it's a missile, and it's a classic, I didn't want to miss out.

Nice work.with the nozzles!

Comment

• Thanks.
                            Speed and it has better thrust to weight. the F-5, Mirage 2000 and Vulcan are rockets. even before this new 2150KV came out. The F-5 and Vulcan I raced where broth bought around a year ago so they don't have the new 2150's.
                            This video is hard to see but you can get the jist of it. Race actually starts around 1:50 mark as we had to wait for the 3D guy to land because he's all over place.

Gravy

Comment

• Hi there! I present you my project of my favourite F-15 ever made... the F-15 ACTIVE 😎

As the big scale one, it uses F-18 elevators as canards; taken from the Freewing F-18 90mm. The servo mechanism is so well done that is very small size making it a perfect fit for the very little room the F-15 has in front of the wing.
                              Made a 3d printed piece with the 20 deg angle, carved all the necessary foam to make it fit. Also, notice the 2 extra 3d pieces that actually holds the mechanism from the top (even though it's epoxyd in).🤩

The interesting thing was the performance in the air. If you see videos of how the canards work on this plane it will blow your mind! Clearly they're controlled by a computerized system as it doesn't make any sense it's behaviour.😲

Back to the project. No idea about the CG is gonna be or Canards neutral position, the first flight was trully a mystery but I gave it a try for the sake of humanity. Upon rotation, the plane did a Cobra, canard authority was enough to bring it to level, but it was impossible to fly and pancaked off the runway (unfortunately not caught in camera). That was my best save ever! I saw it completely destroyed...😬😬😬

With the extra 160gr weight of the canards system in front of the CG, in order to achieve stock CG I've elimitated the airbrake (I rarely used it anyway) to move the battery all the way back, and removed the nose weight. ALL WRONG! CG on canards planes should be way forward, almost behind the canards.

So, 2nd flight, battery all the way forward + canards in negative attitude (as the real one!). Managed to do 2 successful flights, but still CG had to be moved more forward.😃

As the real thing canards behaviour was impossible to achieve, I decided to go for a standard canard system. Moved all the electronic back to where the airbrake was, and batteries all the way forward (did I mention I'm running on 7S?), so the canards can be almost leveled to the wing (also restored the 20gr on the nose and added an extra 100gr above the gear well). WHAT A BEAUTY FLYER!!! And the looks is badass! 😈😈

CG ended 35mm ahead of the stock wing marking (still I feel it need a little more forward).

With the paint scheme done and only decals to be done, here's a successful flight (working on getting better focus) and some pics. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	F-15 Active (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.8 KB ID:	392140
                              Attached Files

Comment

• dariobrit , WOW, what a project and what a unique subject. Bravo Zulu, Sir. And welcome to Hobby Squawk! Great to have more innovators onboard. Best, LB
                                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• dariobrit Ambitious project! Nice work!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                                    Yep I love my F-15 now. As DCORSAIR said, I changed out to the new 1960 12 bld unit. That helped get it to the close to the 100 mph range the real magic came from modifying the exhaust duct. There are 3D print files for inserts out in the forums if you look but I when a different route.
                                    I got a set of F-18 nozzles and bashed them together with the F-15 nozzles. End result is my F-15 is now a F-15EX and holds its own to the likes of the F-5 and Vulcan now.

Gravy
                                    If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the F-18 nozzles? I can't seem to find them on Motion's site. The EX is my favorite version of this bird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fury3 View Post

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the F-18 nozzles? I can't seem to find them on Motion's site. The EX is my favorite version of this bird.
                                      I get them from a friend that had crashed theirs. Try putting up a wanted thread in RCG.

Gravy

Comment

Working...
                                      X