You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing 90mm F-15C Eagle Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • This is frustrating, but is it just the 4 screws holding in the rudders? Noticed an LED was out in one and removed the 4 screws. No amount of wiggle and pull would release it. Afraid of damaging and wondering if I'm missing something here.

    Comment


    • Yes, 4 screws. It's probably the mounting surfaces and blocks that have fused together.. from both sides being painted.. Pull out on the sides of the mounting tabs to free them.

      Comment


      • Interesting post barron06 !

        I fly mine on 6s with the 4068-1835kV 12b and it flies good, but like life a little more power would be nice. I do have the 1900KV 9B I bought to try in the F-104, I guess I'll try that in the F-15 first.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by barron06 View Post
          Yes, 4 screws. It's probably the mounting surfaces and blocks that have fused together.. from both sides being painted.. Pull out on the sides of the mounting tabs to free them.
          Thanks barron06. Just worried of crushing the foam with how much force it was taking. I might just live with the led being out. Also interesting thoughts on your power setup. Maybe I'm more lenient or forgiving when it comes to EDF performance. For example, I think the power in my Eflite Su-30 is ok even though I know it's a bit underpowered. I like to fly EDF's in a more scale maneuver way so I can overlook the straight line or vertical performance as long as it can pull me through a hammerhead or huge loop. I'm also not very willing to trade raw speed for less flight time. The flight times are low as-is so I'm hoping some battery technology improvements are coming in the future.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Cape Jets View Post
            Hello F-15 Eagle pilots... New member here and new flyer. Started flying in August with a HABU STS 70mm. Loved the jet so much moved up quickly to the F-15 90mm STD version. After about 4 flights with a great pilot watching he thought it was alittle lazy with the stock outrunner. So like Tim Allen would, I upgraded for more power to the inrunner 4068-1835KV. Well more power is there and now have about 10 flights on her. Now to the next phase for her. I am gonna do a winter project for her to an 8S motor. Some say the FMS 8S 90mm is the way to go others say the Freewing 4075-1390kv is best for this bird. Opinions from you guys with more flights would be great. Also do I upgrade to a 150amp ESC or can the stock 130amp ESC handle the 8S motor? The current inrunner in the F-15 is finding a new home in a Freewing F-18 Blue Angels (ARF).....Thoughts.... Thanks.....
            If you are going to go 8s I would like to throw another option out there. I have been resisting moving to 8s for the longest but just recently did make the switch when FMS released their newest set up. I got a kit plus 90mm F-16 thunderbird, the 8s esc for the F-22 and then this new 90mm 12 blade with 1500kv motor... All I can say is WOW!!! The jet is a rocketship!! There will be a little bit of foam removal to get it in the plane but it will be totally worth the effort! I flew along side a friend with his FW 8s powered F-16 and the FMS is considerably more powerful while also yielding longer flight times! When flying hard I can get 4mins on HRB 4s 50c 5000 in series. When flyin laid back I can get well over 5 mins! Now I know this isn't the same plane that is referenced in this post... but I have far too many flights to count on my F-15 and am actually planning to switch it over to 8s now that I have this set up worked out. The F-15 tends to eat up a lot of power and not really show the same results as other planes with the same amount of power. I have been running high powered 6s set ups in mine for a couple years now. The FMS set ups have worked the best in it to date and this 8s will be no exception I am sure!
            Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
            I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

            Comment


            • evensen007 - Agreed. Like you I am a scale flyer. For example, I use full power on my fw A-10 only for vertical, like the pilot in fullsize would while popping up to acquire a target. Otherwise, I mimic the speed one flies at, using between 1/4-1/2 power. Heck, I don't even use full power for my take-off. The thing is, the F-15 (C model) can accelerate going straight up. So for my scale flying for that I feel my F-15 should be able to go vertical for 300ft or so before coming over the top. I had that with my 8s at the expense of flight efficiency and flyability. By no means am I'm a speed demon, unless I'm flying my turbine bobcat (a 220mph sport jet), hehe.
              I do not own one, but the SU-30 is one of those birds that flies gracefully from what I saw, like my old fw su-35. I don't fly that one fast either, with it's light weight and TV, I fly airshow maneuvers, living in the vertical. I wanted one but I refused to get it from HH as did not come with the fms "super" 2100kv edfs.

              Comment


              • the su-30 isn't really like the su-35 The su-30 is heavy, can't really do anything the 35 can with it's eps lightweight construction and TV.



                Comment


                • While I was setting it up, I noticed something on the FW f-15 that I don't notice on any of my other jets. It looks like the thrust cones are tilted up at a 10-15d angle. Does anyone know the reason for this? That would seem to me to seriously reduce airflow/performance coming from the duct of a single EDF fan. Just curious as to the design reason for this.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

                    If you are going to go 8s I would like to throw another option out there. I have been resisting moving to 8s for the longest but just recently did make the switch when FMS released their newest set up. I got a kit plus 90mm F-16 thunderbird, the 8s esc for the F-22 and then this new 90mm 12 blade with 1500kv motor... All I can say is WOW!!! The jet is a rocketship!! There will be a little bit of foam removal to get it in the plane but it will be totally worth the effort! I flew along side a friend with his FW 8s powered F-16 and the FMS is considerably more powerful while also yielding longer flight times! When flying hard I can get 4mins on HRB 4s 50c 5000 in series. When flyin laid back I can get well over 5 mins! Now I know this isn't the same plane that is referenced in this post... but I have far too many flights to count on my F-15 and am actually planning to switch it over to 8s now that I have this set up worked out. The F-15 tends to eat up a lot of power and not really show the same results as other planes with the same amount of power. I have been running high powered 6s set ups in mine for a couple years now. The FMS set ups have worked the best in it to date and this 8s will be no exception I am sure!
                    All great options from all that replied........... So instead of driving myself crazy with FMS vs FW 90mm 8S I'm gonna go with the FMS 90mm 12 blade with 1500kv motor with the 150amp 8S ESC unit. I still want to fly scale but would love longer flight times to enjoy her in the air instead of replacing batteries every 3-3:30 minutes. Have 8-6S batteries so I plan to series them with my 2S batteries. Wont have results till Spring as winter has arrived on Cape Cod... snow on the ground makes it tough to take off!
                    Side question: Once you switch to 8S ESC , can you use 6S 22,2V batteries and just fly on 6S?
                    OK one more side note: What amp ESC are you guys running on the 8S , I see everything from 8s 120amp- 8s 150amp?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by barron06 View Post
                      evensen007 - Agreed. Like you I am a scale flyer. For example, I use full power on my fw A-10 only for vertical, like the pilot in fullsize would while popping up to acquire a target. Otherwise, I mimic the speed one flies at, using between 1/4-1/2 power. Heck, I don't even use full power for my take-off. The thing is, the F-15 (C model) can accelerate going straight up. So for my scale flying for that I feel my F-15 should be able to go vertical for 300ft or so before coming over the top. I had that with my 8s at the expense of flight efficiency and flyability. By no means am I'm a speed demon, unless I'm flying my turbine bobcat (a 220mph sport jet), hehe.
                      I do not own one, but the SU-30 is one of those birds that flies gracefully from what I saw, like my old fw su-35. I don't fly that one fast either, with it's light weight and TV, I fly airshow maneuvers, living in the vertical. I wanted one but I refused to get it from HH as did not come with the fms "super" 2100kv edfs.
                      Barron,

                      Where do you fly? You're not too terribly far from me in Asheville. Would be nice to fly with another EDF junkie.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

                        If you are going to go 8s I would like to throw another option out there. I have been resisting moving to 8s for the longest but just recently did make the switch when FMS released their newest set up. I got a kit plus 90mm F-16 thunderbird, the 8s esc for the F-22 and then this new 90mm 12 blade with 1500kv motor... All I can say is WOW!!! The jet is a rocketship!! There will be a little bit of foam removal to get it in the plane but it will be totally worth the effort! I flew along side a friend with his FW 8s powered F-16 and the FMS is considerably more powerful while also yielding longer flight times! When flying hard I can get 4mins on HRB 4s 50c 5000 in series. When flyin laid back I can get well over 5 mins! Now I know this isn't the same plane that is referenced in this post... but I have far too many flights to count on my F-15 and am actually planning to switch it over to 8s now that I have this set up worked out. The F-15 tends to eat up a lot of power and not really show the same results as other planes with the same amount of power. I have been running high powered 6s set ups in mine for a couple years now. The FMS set ups have worked the best in it to date and this 8s will be no exception I am sure!
                        Do it. The FMS 1500kv in the F-15 was my first experience with 8S (after flying it once I went home and ordered the same motor for the F22 lol). The F-15 is still a scale ship, but the flight times improve significantly because you can carry a lot less throttle to keep that nose up in the turns. Vertical is improved but top speed doesnt seem to be much different.

                        Care needs to be taken when carving foam in the F-15, it's quite thin at the top of the fuselage above the EDF housing.

                        The battery compartment is tight as well. I find that a matched 5000mah 6S+2S setup fits better than 5000mah 4S+4S. You can shave some foam from the inner sides of the battery area but it's still a squeeze.

                        FWIW Im running the hobbyeagle flyfun 130A V5. It's an opto so you'll need a BEC. I ended up using the standard freewing one, which is NOT compatible with 8S, with a seperate 2S lipo that sits neatly where the tongue of the canopy slots in to the fuse.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Cape Jets View Post

                          All great options from all that replied........... So instead of driving myself crazy with FMS vs FW 90mm 8S I'm gonna go with the FMS 90mm 12 blade with 1500kv motor with the 150amp 8S ESC unit. I still want to fly scale but would love longer flight times to enjoy her in the air instead of replacing batteries every 3-3:30 minutes. Have 8-6S batteries so I plan to series them with my 2S batteries. Wont have results till Spring as winter has arrived on Cape Cod... snow on the ground makes it tough to take off!
                          Side question: Once you switch to 8S ESC , can you use 6S 22,2V batteries and just fly on 6S?
                          OK one more side note: What amp ESC are you guys running on the 8S , I see everything from 8s 120amp- 8s 150amp?

                          Comment


                          • Not entirely sure I understand the question.

                            Do you mean installing an 8S/HV ESC to use with the standard 6S motor? I dont know why you'd do that but yes it's fine to fly it on 6S.

                            If you mean, will an 8S ESC + lower KV motor fly ok on 6S? Not really. I mean you could probably get away with it in something like the F22, but it would be a recipe for disaster in the F15.

                            ESC amp rating will depend on the motor. I think FMS recommends 120A minimum for the 1500KV 8S setup.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by mshagg View Post
                              Not entirely sure I understand the question.

                              Do you mean installing an 8S/HV ESC to use with the standard 6S motor? I dont know why you'd do that but yes it's fine to fly it on 6S.

                              If you mean, will an 8S ESC + lower KV motor fly ok on 6S? Not really. I mean you could probably get away with it in something like the F22, but it would be a recipe for disaster in the F15.

                              ESC amp rating will depend on the motor. I think FMS recommends 120A minimum for the 1500KV 8S setup.
                              What I'm asking is, I upgrade my F-15 to 8S with a 90mm FMS 8s 1500kv motor & a 8s 150amp ESC. Can i still run this setup with a 6s stand along batterry? Not sure I would but could I?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Cape Jets View Post

                                What I'm asking is, I upgrade my F-15 to 8S with a 90mm FMS 8s 1500kv motor & a 8s 150amp ESC. Can i still run this setup with a 6s stand along batterry? Not sure I would but could I?
                                I'll be honest I havent tried it, but I really dont think it would go well. It would have much less power than the PNP 6S setup, and the PNP 6S isnt exactly overpowered...

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by Cape Jets View Post

                                  What I'm asking is, I upgrade my F-15 to 8S with a 90mm FMS 8s 1500kv motor & a 8s 150amp ESC. Can i still run this setup with a 6s stand along batterry? Not sure I would but could I?
                                  Forget it! Power will be just enough for slow taxi runs.

                                  Comment


                                  • Cape Jets Another thing to consider: Unless it has been changed by the factory recently, the outlet area of the FW F-15 is way too large! I'd suggest to measure the outlet area of your F-16 and compare it to the area of your F-15.Mine is running on an 8s Wemotec setup and I added two nozzle inserts to reduce the outlet area.

                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4102.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	289734Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4101.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	289735

                                    Comment


                                    • What batteries are you guys using that went to 8S?. Not a lot of room to play with.

                                      Mike
                                      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by evensen007 View Post
                                        While I was setting it up, I noticed something on the FW f-15 that I don't notice on any of my other jets. It looks like the thrust cones are tilted up at a 10-15d angle. Does anyone know the reason for this? That would seem to me to seriously reduce airflow/performance coming from the duct of a single EDF fan. Just curious as to the design reason for this.
                                        Great question. I never seen an answer but my guess would be to help keep the nose from being forced down on your take-off roll. This would improve tracking (less wheel barreling) but you can also do the same by holding aft elevator... Full at the start of the roll then reducing it as you accelerate. Kind of tricky to do as you don't want to rotate too soon. If your on plush summer higher-cut grass, the upthrust/up elevator on take-off becomes even more important. I can think of no reason it would be desired for flight.

                                        4Stripes seems to have the most knowledge on this. I wonder if straightening the thrust line affects the cg somehow.

                                        Asheville, NC is the mountain region. I think your thinking Greenville, SC. I am near the NC coast about 300 miles from you. With that said, we welcome anyone to come fly with us.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by MikeT View Post
                                          What batteries are you guys using that went to 8S?. Not a lot of room to play with.

                                          Mike
                                          I’m using these now.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X