Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread
Collapse
X
-
The 90 mm 4068-1835 Kv 12 blade. I now have that fan in both F-18's, 2 F-4's and my F-16. It's a bit expensive, but IMO, well worth it, especially since I'm flying off of grass and I think it has a bit more punch than the 9 Blade 1900 KV that FW is putting in all the "High Performance" models. Not that the 9 blade is a slouch, put one (came with my last F-18 and swapped it out for the 12 blade) in my Stinger 90 and that fan really livened it up. The 12 blade may not quite have the top end in level high speed passes (but never tested it out), but it's got more than enough horse power for excellent vertical. Those fans completely transformed the F-4's. In the F-16, I'm able to use a fairly heavy SMC 8100 pack and easily get over 5 minutes of flight time while still getting airborne off grass in less than 100' with seemingly no loss of vertical climb. On the other hand, spending another $160 each for 5 of them just may have skewed my opinion; and that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Leave a comment:
-
Finally got some decent weather with light winds and no rain and got 20 flights in on 5 of my aircraft, including the maiden of the F-18 Tiger with 5 flights and the F-18 Canadian with another 5, just for good measure. Man, these F-18's fly great! The last 3 times I flew the F-18 Canadian, I had major issues with the flaps and she got very squirrely, one wouldn't go down in the air (on the ground, no problem) and one of the elevator servos got palsy. Additionally the AR 636 gyro RX with satellite was getting way too many Frame losses and the occasional dreaded Heading Holds, so I replaced the RX with the AR637T with satellite, replaced both flap servos and elevator servos, and bypassed the circuit board and wired the flaps and ailerons directly into the receiver (set up the Tiger the same way).
Well today, no issues for the first time, so one or all of the changes worked! I ended up getting 5 minutes of useful throttle time on an SMC 6200 40C pack! Can't argue with that. Both have the 12 blade inrunner (as all my 90 mm now have). I'll eventually get around to putting a crappy video together, but planning on getting out again on Wednesday and maiden the Mig!
Leave a comment:
-
-
Ok so its finally done done. Did some touchups..and after the popcorn damage on the right wing i decided to just sand out and repaint the upper surface of both wings. Aside from a lil dust in the paint they turned out awesome!! Shes ready to go and i still owe you guys a video on how i got the struts to fit.Leave a comment:
-
Incredible finish, it looks like a "wrap". It's also looks like you have the "real" Blue Angle Blue, darker than the FW model, and the gear looks outstanding. Given the right photo setting, I doubt you could tell the difference between yours and a real one. Frankly, I don't want to know how you were able to get such a perfect finish, because I'm sure it involves modeling work that I'd rather not be tempted to try!
Leave a comment:
-
-
Thanks! Yeah i added secondary springs. Thry will actually absorb now hahhahaLeave a comment:
-
Whoa... tell us more on the gear conversion from E-Flite!
Looks like it fits good enough... and looks the part!
I heard complaints about the FMS gear not absorbing impacts good enough, what's your take on it?
Did you stiffen the spring or did anything else in addition?Leave a comment:
-
That looks awesome, if only that gear would have came like that in stock form.......
Leave a comment:
-
-
-
Well, technically it stays on the ground if I leave the stick centered, but I like pulling (forcing) wheelies, to which the aft CG setting certainly helps, plus it helps decelerate faster... although sometimes I overdo it and the plane jumps back in the air!
Gotta be careful with that!
Leave a comment:


Leave a comment: