Roban - World Class Scale Helicopters

Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jasmith41
    replied
    incredible degree of detail. stay away from the trees... don't be like me.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by davegee
    Thanks, Hugh. I'll be waiting for him in the mail with my sander and exacto saw!!😁
    Just be careful not to cut off any of his private parts, he'll need 'em to fly this bad boy!

    Leave a comment:


  • davegee
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee

    DG, beautiful work, Sir. Great idea using the detailed cockpit as a static display. Will definitely save you 4-5 ounces of FWD weight. And bless your pea-pickin' heart for the compliment. Best, Steve
    All kudos, to You, Steve!. A beautiful job designing all those parts to make this beautiful and realistic cockpit!

    Cheers

    Dave

    Leave a comment:


  • davegee
    replied
    Thanks, Hugh. I'll be waiting for him in the mail with my sander and exacto saw!!😁

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by davegee
    I'm making some progress using the STLs that Elbee worked so hard to produce for the cockpit of the F-18C. The parts went together well so far, and I am totally impressed with the minute details that Elbee came up with for various parts of the cockpit. I had a friend print them up for me since I don't have a printer yet.

    I have a stock cockpit that I'll fly for the initial maiden and subsequent flights until I feel comfortable flying it, and then use the detailed cockpit for local fly in's and that sort of thing. I have ordered a pilot from Jet Hangar Hobbies that Hugh Weidman recommended and uses for his F-18 airplanes.

    Davegee

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0978.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	339674Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0975.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	339675Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0979.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	339676
    Outstanding Dave. One word of caution on the 1/10 scale JHH Pilot. In order to get his head to fit in under the canopy, I had to shave his rather large behind and cut him off at the knees, just where his legs would fit into the front instrument panel holes at the base. It also required me to lose the actual bottom of the ejection seat and shave off a bit of the back of the seat so it would fit. No matter, with his big arse in there you wouldn't be able to see much of the back of the seat and the bottom anyway. Just the size of our pilot would scare the hell out of any bogie once they get a look at him!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200331_220910.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	339685Click image for larger version

Name:	20200406_203246.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	339686

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by davegee
    I'm making some progress using the STLs that Elbee worked so hard to produce for the cockpit of the F-18C. The parts went together well so far, and I am totally impressed with the minute details that Elbee came up with for various parts of the cockpit. I had a friend print them up for me since I don't have a printer yet. I have a stock cockpit that I'll fly for the initial maiden and subsequent flights until I feel comfortable flying it, and then use the detailed cockpit for local fly in's and that sort of thing. I have ordered a pilot from Jet Hangar Hobbies that Hugh Weidman recommended and uses for his F-18 airplanes. Davegee
    DG, beautiful work, Sir. Great idea using the detailed cockpit as a static display. Will definitely save you 4-5 ounces of FWD weight. And bless your pea-pickin' heart for the compliment. Best, Steve

    Leave a comment:


  • davegee
    replied
    I'm making some progress using the STLs that Elbee worked so hard to produce for the cockpit of the F-18C. The parts went together well so far, and I am totally impressed with the minute details that Elbee came up with for various parts of the cockpit. I had a friend print them up for me since I don't have a printer yet.

    I have a stock cockpit that I'll fly for the initial maiden and subsequent flights until I feel comfortable flying it, and then use the detailed cockpit for local fly in's and that sort of thing. I have ordered a pilot from Jet Hangar Hobbies that Hugh Weidman recommended and uses for his F-18 airplanes.

    Davegee

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0978.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	339674Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0975.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	339675Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0979.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	339676

    Leave a comment:


  • Cape Jets
    replied
    Hello Hornet Flyers....... Looking to set up my F-18 with Tailerons. Is there a mix that uses only the elevators/ tailerons and cancels the ailerons. I would like to set up on a switch to enable just tailerons, tailerons-ailerons and normal setup. Since winter up here on the Cape I have alot of time on my hands and would like this set up on all my jets. Currently 90mm Thunderbird (8S) , 90mm F-15 (8S) and 2 Blue F-18's.

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    commented on 's reply
    I test fitted a 2mm rod and it fits nicely in the molded slot. Best, LB

  • PILOTJOE
    replied
    Does anyone have a carbon fiber rod dimension that would fit or link on amazon for the Nose Gear Slant Strut? I'd like to glue one in there as I fly off grass. thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    Oh, just adjust the ball link.

    Like all servos I make sure the servos are reasonably at a right angle to the push rod and more the arm appropriately. Then to fine tune it subtrim the servo. Then adjust the ball link to get the surface where it needs to be for neutral.

    Leave a comment:


  • PILOTJOE
    replied
    Hey all, I'm about to assemble my f18 and was wondering how to you go about the 7mm up elevator for neutral? Is that something I do with the control rod? Or sub trim in my nx8? Thanks for the help.

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    Model and full scale... close enough! :p

    Click image for larger version

Name:	model_vs_fullscale.png
Views:	561
Size:	486.8 KB
ID:	338114

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by JP-4203
    Hi folks, just a question in between: I am happy flying the Freewing F/A 18 90mm and originally bought it in its base grey / PNP version to customize it with one of our Swiss Air Force liveries; just thought to buy another one but noticed, that it is (no longer?) available as base grey / PNP? Just temporary out of stock or would Motion RC no longer support that version? (also happy to buy diamond grey/PNP but then of course a bit more effort to paint it in our Swiss Air Force colors...)

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3666 (1).JPG
Views:	848
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	337834
    Interesting, I think it must have been discontinued and only the Blue Angels version and Diamond Grey are now being sold as I too no longer see the base grey on their website.

    Leave a comment:


  • JP-4203
    replied
    Hi folks, just a question in between: I am happy flying the Freewing F/A 18 90mm and originally bought it in its base grey / PNP version to customize it with one of our Swiss Air Force liveries; just thought to buy another one but noticed, that it is (no longer?) available as base grey / PNP? Just temporary out of stock or would Motion RC no longer support that version? (also happy to buy diamond grey/PNP but then of course a bit more effort to paint it in our Swiss Air Force colors...)

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3666 (1).JPG
Views:	848
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	337834
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    That's both greatly encouraging and very sad... :'(

    I feel honored that you thought as highly of my composition :)

    Hopefully someday his negatives appear and his pictures can be properly exposed in an aviation museum! :)

    Leave a comment:


  • GliderGuy
    replied
    Excellent photo composition! Very nice!

    A bit of history regarding aviation photo composition: Back in the day, one of the all time best aviation photographers (Google Sandor Alex Aldott...images) would focus on the composition of the photo to the point of perfection. Many times I flew the power plane with Alex in it with him shooting sailplane photos out the door (door off, typically). Your photo above is VERY close to an Aldott photo composition.

    As an example of near perfect composition: Below is an Aldott photo taken of me and my father...Alex clicked the shutter at the perfect time just as my dad was doing a high-speed pass/fly-by on my right wing circa 1970s. Photo taken somewhere over Marfa, TX

    LOL - As he approached from behind at over 120 mph, my dad was most probably voicing on the radio, "Hold her steady, keep her steady.' Of course, the lens effect makes him appear closer than he was.

    Sadly, after Alex's adult lifetime spent taking thousands of photos, the photos and negatives are nowhere to be found. It was thought that after he died, his wife gave them to a museum. But, that cannot be substantiated by any aviation museum contact and has been tried many times. Rumor was that the collection was given to the Smithsonian, but that lead did not pan out. His deceased wife took the knowledge of the priceless collection's whereabouts with her when she passed away.

    -GG

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-02-12 084424.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	337287

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=337263&d=1644631709.png
Views:	664
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	337265

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    Some more enjoyment :)

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by jetpltrich
    Question: may have been referenced already... is everyone using the recommended CG of 88mm or is something different better?

    Rich
    I'm at 102 mm back (with a gyro). 88 mm is definitely too nose heavy. As Evan D stated, suggest you start at least at say 95mm and work you're way back. Some like Airguardian are around 110 mm but he can handle it there especially with a gyro.

    Leave a comment:

Working...