Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The swede
    replied
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

    Big thanks for your support! Maiden is done and some up elevator and that was it. Maiden CG 100mm and I used a Spektrum 5000 mah 50C pack. :-)

    The Swede/Bulten10

    Leave a comment:


  • Abwagner121
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan D
    Taileron. Yes.
    Can you be a little more specific please?

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    Is anyone flying their Hornet with the standard aileron, elevator, flap setup? Or is everyone flying with a taileron setup? Taileron. I also have crow and rudder air brakes and use those every landing to reduce my roll out. I also have full span flaps but don't like the feel.

    Is there a huge difference between the 2? Yes, not only does it make the plane more agile but it also makes it smoother.

    Leave a comment:


  • Abwagner121
    replied
    Hello. Is anyone flying their Hornet with the standard aileron, elevator, flap setup? Or is everyone flying with a taileron setup? Is there a huge difference between the 2?

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Flying Toaster now the Shiny Flying Toaster after a few coats of Minwax
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Spoiled gorgeous morning flight with a botched landing

    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    and now we have the opposite of Loco's empty beach flyin' :popcorn:

    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    The Flying Toaster rolls on

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Gorgeous morning for a Blue Angel fly

    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Todays wonderful beach fly with Ute

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Full maiden :pop

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman

    Looks like you're getting it dialed in and quickly after only 2 flights. Nice looking landing with the perfect nose high AOA. I think you're liking the 100mm balance point!
    Right on -Thanks for all the info guys! 100mm seems ideal- I dead sticked her in again, she just refuses to come down otherwise! Landing was sweet!! perhaps just tiny THR like 10% would produce a wheelie landing, maybe next time :D
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by InTheTubeDeep
    Flight 2 was fun this morning Ute was at the beach when I arrived, filmed a fun flight! video editing now here are a few grabs Batt: SMC 6s 6200 CG: 100mm
    Looks like you're getting it dialed in and quickly after only 2 flights. Nice looking landing with the perfect nose high AOA. I think you're liking the 100mm balance point!

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Flight 2 was fun this morning Ute was at the beach when I arrived, filmed a fun flight! video editing now here are a few grabs Batt: SMC 6s 6200 CG: 100mm
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Maiden this morning, CG 100mm - flew well, a little twitchy no gyro yet, on landing floated for ever dead stick!!

    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Burners 1st test!

    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • nuts-n-volts
    replied
    Originally posted by Big12fan

    Yeah I have that one and it flies nice but just lacks that big bird presence like the 80/90 version.
    I do agree with you there. The Freewing90 definitely surpasses the FMS70 in scale flight and presence.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by The swede
    Hugh Wiedman

    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! For your time to explain this!
    Now everything works as I want! Yes I have already set the flaps for switch D, but I didnt know that I could have the same swich for both flaps and for F-mode.

    Even if I though and suspected it was something like that. But it is not easy when you do not know how :-)
    Thank you very much, I offer beer when you come to Sweden :-)

    And I will save this explanation!!

    Best regards!
    You're most welcome! I'll go anywhere for a good brew! :beers: And don't feel bad about not knowing, my "glass :exploding_head: is still only about a 1/4 full". Fortunately an expert pilot showed it to me so we all learn from each other, and I learn so much from a lot of the great minds on this forum who are happy to help me out. No question is stupid, just leave those to me!

    Leave a comment:


  • The swede
    replied
    Hugh Wiedman

    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! For your time to explain this!
    Now everything works as I want! Yes I have already set the flaps for switch D, but I didnt know that I could have the same swich for both flaps and for F-mode.

    Even if I though and suspected it was something like that. But it is not easy when you do not know how :-)
    Thank you very much, I offer beer when you come to Sweden :-)

    And I will save this explanation!!

    Best regards!

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by The swede
    Hi Hugh Wiedman!

    Thanks for the information regarding gains, then I have some values ​​to go by.
    Okay then maybe I should start with CG 100mm instead. Our field is on grass but very smooth and nice. I fly with Gripen and with 70mm F16 without any problems.
    I have a question for you because you fly with Spectrum.
    Can you adjust the elevator separately when you have the flaps down without affecting the setting on the elevator when the flaps are up? if you understand what I mean?! :-)
    Absolutely! With Spektrum TX, there are 2 ways to do that, and every aircraft I have with flaps I use both:

    1) 1st group of Function List items on transmitter when you press the slider, go to "Flap System". This is where you program Position 0-2 to a 3 position switch, most people use switch D, you program the flap deflection for flaps up/take-off/landing and adjustment of the elevator for each. The elevator adjust obviously depends on the degree of flap deflection you use (everyone may have their own preference or go with manual recommendations). I'm using about what is recommended at 20mm for take-off and 40mm for landing. Elevator comp is actually DOWN elevator with flaps, so I' using about 2% for take-off and 3% for landing. This set up is JUST A STARTING POINT.

    2) Now this next set up is an absolute must for anyone using flaps. Obviously, every surface you set up on the bench is a guess starting point and you must trim each surface in flight depending on your balance point/preferences and even adjust potentially slightly on every flight with temp and winds. Therefore, it is HIGHLY recommended that you also program FLIGHT MODES in your transmitter. This allows you to trim any surface you choose at each position of the flaps while flying and have that specific trim remain associated with each flap position.

    Go back to the Function List, scroll to the bottom of the first group of items to System Setup (sorry if I'm assuming this is all new to you and I'm sure you know how to navigate around the menus, but just in case). After pressing that, it asks if you really want to go there as it will disable the RF, then a second group of items comes up, go to F-Mode Setup. You can set up multiple FM switches, but just set switch 1 to your Flap Switch, which for me is D. Go back to menu and scroll down to Trim Setup and click that. You'll see a list starting with Throttle: 5 Common Digital. Go to the trim type next to Elevator, click on it and change it to F MODE by clicking it (default is common). You can/should also change trim type of Aileron to F MODE and for Rudder as well. Now go back to menu items and go to Spoken Flight Mode (actually you can also go here after assigning the FM switch, sorry forgot about that). This allows you to program what the TX says to you as you change the switch. Next to Speak, click on it and it brings up a long menu of things it will say. I like it to keep it's mouth shut so I set it for Silence. That's because I've already programmed in the 1st set of menus under "Custom Voice Setup" everything I want each switch to say when I change them, so for the Flap Switch, it says "Flaps UP", "Take-Off Flaps" and "Landing Flaps".

    Now when you fly, as you trim each surface with flaps up then go to take-off flaps, the trims you make there will be specific for that flap setting and the same with landing flaps. Also be mindful that the trims you put in while flying it flaps up, WILL NOT be carried over to trims in take-off or landing flaps. So at the beginning, if all trims are 0 for each flap position, you take it up and have to add a lot of elevator with flaps up, when you now go to take-off flaps, trims will be 0 there for elevator. You can check to make sure it's working correctly by seeing the trim locations on your screen (probably all at 0 unless you've already flown it), then change flaps and change one of the trims, go back back to flaps up and it will have the original trim there. You can set the trims in the Trim Setup menu for elevator only if you want (and obviously this one is a must), but I recommend you at least also do it for Ailerons. This way, if your flaps do not both deflect at the exact same distance (and most of the time one may be 1/2mm different-rare to get them to be exactly the same), then you will also be able to trim it to stay level with each flap position (that sure helps on landing!!!). Rudder is not as important to be able to change, but I include that as well just in case.

    For me, this is the single most useful TX tool you can use with flaps. It will make you're flying experience so much more enjoyable and simple. Yes, you have a lot of trimming to do on the maiden, 3 surfaces at each flap position (so potentially 9 trim settings), but once done, your F-18 is locked and loaded and when you change flaps, the aircraft won't change orientation a bit and you'll wonder if you've actually changed the flaps. Additionally, as you dial in your landing technique (speed and attitude), you can easily change the elevator trim with full flaps to compensate so at your approach speed you can set it to keep the nose a little up when sinking or anyway you like without it affecting your take-off or regular flying!

    Hope this helps and makes sense, let me know if you have any questions.

    Leave a comment:

Working...