Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airmanhurley
    replied
    Has anybody put EFlite/FMS main gear struts on this jet? I've seen Brent Hecht's video with them and it looks amazing. Thinking of doing 90 degree rotating retract units - maybe the ones for the A-4 Skyhawk. Does anyone know if those will fit? Screw hole spacing the same? I'm determined to make this work :)

Leave a comment:

• Parafpv
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee View Post
    Parafpv Welcome to "the Squawk". Glad to have you onboard, Sir. Best, LB
    Many Thanks LB . Up to page 41 on reading so far .

Brgds
    Michael

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Parafpv Welcome to "the Squawk". Glad to have you onboard, Sir. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• Parafpv
    replied
    Hi All ,
    Lucky to have stumbled across this post. Just placed and order for a Blue Angels version , will be dropping a Xicoy45 into it for a turbine conversion .

Couple of questions straight up that my research hasn't' found me the answers ..

1. What turbine conversion kit does people recommend . I saw the BIGBOYRC , doesn't seem to do it anymore.. The NOVAJETS site is down .. So far my best option is the TOP-Design version.

2. What size main wheels are the Hornets.. I need to put electric Brakes on it . so want to order the same size Main Wheels.

3. Anything that i need to know / Modify Straight up on this Jet ? 290 pages .. im on page 14 .. ill Keep reading each post but a breakdown would be Great.

Thanks in Advance..

Brgds
    Michael

Leave a comment:

• salali
    replied
    Originally posted by salali View Post

Thanks Hugh Wiedman Thanks for sharing your experience and recommendation to recalibrate the throttle. I hope that's the fix. I'll let you know either way. I might also change the ESC all together. I read that the new Hobbywing ESC (rebranded ESC sold via Motion) act or sound are slightly different from previous ESC versions.

The new FW reversing ESC (which appears to be the same as the Hobbywing Skywalker V2) is in several new and updated EDFs from Freewing. If trying to program it with the programming card, the current one listed on MRC's site doesn't work. No new programming card is listed yet. If programming the ESC using the transmitter

Hi Hugh Wiedman I think the mystery has been solved by MRC tech support. The issue might be the battery connector i'm using. I purchased a parallel connector instead of series. This makes sense. I'll confirm once the new connector arrives.

Leave a comment:

• davegee
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee View Post

DG, Well it's like I always say, "If the more scale tail hook end point "shoe" fits, wear it." Best, LB

Thanks, LB. This was V2, just "eyeballed" and dremmeled (is that a word?) from a small block of basswood. I can easily remove it for a V3 or V4 version, if I decide to go that far. For now, it'll work.

Cheers

davegee

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by davegee View Post
    did an experiment carving out a more scale tail hook end point "shoe" for the Hornet. First attempt out of basswood, might try another one but this one suits me, for now. Cheers,Davegee
    DG, Well it's like I always say, "If the more scale tail hook end point "shoe" fits, wear it." Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• salali
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

This is only a guess, but have you recalibrated your throttle? I fly off grass as well and have 2 F-18's, both still on 6S with the 12 blade 4068-1835 Kv inrunners and they get off very quickly on a single 6S SMC HiV 5900, so yours on 8S should be even better. I did convert 2 F-4's and my F16 to 8S with the same fan you are using in the F-18 and fly all of them on the SMC 8S HiV 5900 packs. Those "rocket" off the grass so I would think your F18 would also, especially since the SMC 5300 packs have a slightly higher C than the 5900's. I felt the F18 on grass with the 12 blade 6S fan flew just fine (and didn't want to add any more weight in using an 8S fan and battery) so I have yet to convert the F18's to 8S.

If you can, put a power meter on and confirm the amps and watts drawn. If I'm not mistaken, my 8S fans with SMC HiV packs are drawing about 138 Ah and 4300 watts at full throttle with a fresh pack (static on the bench). If you're not close to that, you are not getting to max output. Let me know as I'm very curious to find out how the F18 would be on 8S, as I'm loving it with the F4 and F16.
    Thanks Hugh Wiedman Thanks for sharing your experience and recommendation to recalibrate the throttle. I hope that's the fix. I'll let you know either way. I might also change the ESC all together. I read that the new Hobbywing ESC (rebranded ESC sold via Motion) act or sound are slightly different from previous ESC versions.

The new FW reversing ESC (which appears to be the same as the Hobbywing Skywalker V2) is in several new and updated EDFs from Freewing. If trying to program it with the programming card, the current one listed on MRC's site doesn't work. No new programming card is listed yet. If programming the ESC using the transmitter

Leave a comment:

• davegee
    replied
    I just finished up another mod for the F/A-18C Hornet. This is a movable tail hook via a small servo in the tail. 3D printed parts courtesy of Elbee that I printed up from his STL files and put it together. I had to order a small Du Bro connector pin that came today, so once I had it in hand, the finishing up went relatively quickly. There's always a bit of fiddling to do on these things like servo travel, checking security of the mechanism, and all that. But it is well worth doing, for me. I have put a movable tail hook in my F-14D, A-4E, and a Grumman F6F Hellcat years ago. This one is not stressed to actually "catch" the airplane, but I'll probably do some photos of it in the air with the hook down, just for yuks.

Cheers

Davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1955.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	402652 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1956.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	402653
    did an experiment carving out a more scale tail hook end point "shoe" for the Hornet. First attempt out of basswood, might try another one but this one suits me, for now.

Cheers

Davegee

Name:	IMG_1966.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	402927

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by salali View Post
    I need some help. I decided to upgrade to a 8s setup. I'm using the 4075-1350kv FW 8s edf w/ the 120a reversing ESC which is rated for 8s. I'm barely getting any thrust for the jet to roll on a nicely manicured RC grass field. I've ensured my throttle is calibrated and ESC is programmed. I'm using 2 - 5300 4s LiHV SMC packs.
    Any ideas to why the power is anemic? I'm more than happy to provide additional details if anyone has any ideas.
    This is only a guess, but have you recalibrated your throttle? I fly off grass as well and have 2 F-18's, both still on 6S with the 12 blade 4068-1835 Kv inrunners and they get off very quickly on a single 6S SMC HiV 5900, so yours on 8S should be even better. I did convert 2 F-4's and my F16 to 8S with the same fan you are using in the F-18 and fly all of them on the SMC 8S HiV 5900 packs. Those "rocket" off the grass so I would think your F18 would also, especially since the SMC 5300 packs have a slightly higher C than the 5900's. I felt the F18 on grass with the 12 blade 6S fan flew just fine (and didn't want to add any more weight in using an 8S fan and battery) so I have yet to convert the F18's to 8S.

If you can, put a power meter on and confirm the amps and watts drawn. If I'm not mistaken, my 8S fans with SMC HiV packs are drawing about 138 Ah and 4300 watts at full throttle with a fresh pack (static on the bench). If you're not close to that, you are not getting to max output. Let me know as I'm very curious to find out how the F18 would be on 8S, as I'm loving it with the F4 and F16.

Leave a comment:

• salali
    replied
    I need some help. I decided to upgrade to a 8s setup. I'm using the 4075-1350kv FW 8s edf w/ the 120a reversing ESC which is rated for 8s. I'm barely getting any thrust for the jet to roll on a nicely manicured RC grass field. I've ensured my throttle is calibrated and ESC is programmed. I'm using 2 - 5300 4s LiHV SMC packs.
    Any ideas to why the power is anemic? I'm more than happy to provide additional details if anyone has any ideas.

Leave a comment:

• davegee
    replied
    You ‘da Man, Elbee!!👍👍👍

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    davegee. Parts look great : Check. Functioning unit: Check. Nicely done, Sir. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• davegee
    replied
    Credit goes to Elbee. This is his design and it works very well! Thanks for the kind words, Aros. I’m a newbie trying to learn 3D printing.

cheers

davegee

Leave a comment:

• Aros
    replied
    What a cool mod! Nice work davegee! You and Elbee never fail to impress.

Leave a comment:

• davegee
    replied
    I just finished up another mod for the F/A-18C Hornet. This is a movable tail hook via a small servo in the tail. 3D printed parts courtesy of Elbee that I printed up from his STL files and put it together. I had to order a small Du Bro connector pin that came today, so once I had it in hand, the finishing up went relatively quickly. There's always a bit of fiddling to do on these things like servo travel, checking security of the mechanism, and all that. But it is well worth doing, for me. I have put a movable tail hook in my F-14D, A-4E, and a Grumman F6F Hellcat years ago. This one is not stressed to actually "catch" the airplane, but I'll probably do some photos of it in the air with the hook down, just for yuks.

Cheers

Davegee

Name:	IMG_1955.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	402652 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1956.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	402653

Leave a comment:

• davegee
    replied
    I had an Excellent teacher!

Davegee

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    After getting my 29th flight, I am now looking out the window at the white stuff coming down...I'm taking advantage of the down time to work on my AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles that I am learning to 3D print with my Prusa mini. These are from the files of Dirty D in 1/10 scale...
    DG, Absolutely fabulous work. Sir. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• davegee
    replied
    After getting my 29th flight (3 on this new airframe with the innards the same on all flights so far) I am now looking out the window at the white stuff coming down. But I'm taking advantage of the down time to work on my AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles that I am learning to 3D print with my Prusa mini. These are from the files of Dirty D in 1/10 scale. So, although maybe slightly larger than scale (1/10 versus 1/11 of the model), that difference is really indistinguishable when they are mounted on the wingtips.

I still have scale nomenclature and markings to put on the missiles that I'll have Callie print up, and then they should basically be finished. I plan on doing some test flights with these missiles mounted next week when the weather gets better.

A Big Shoutout to LB for his continued support of getting me up and running on this new medium of model building!

Davegee

Name:	IMG_1897 (1).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	401589 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1896.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	401590 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1895.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	401591

Leave a comment:

• davegee
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    Awesome you figured it out Dave.

Appreciate your excellent advice, as always, Evan! I did check the tightness of the bolt holding on the fan blade. It was not loose, but didn't hurt to tighten in up a bit more. And although there wasn't a piece of plastic loose, which it certainly could have been, that piece totally missing seems to be the culprit and will be corrected on the next flight. I've done a few full power static runups with my replacement piece that I fashioned out o f.010" styrene. So far, so good. We'll see how it fares on the next test flight early next week!

Cheers

Dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X