Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Panchypanchal
    replied
    Originally posted by Mizer67

    Mine is about 2 weeks old...

    I pushed on mine pretty good before flying it too. Pretty hard to measure 5-6 lbs. of force, but I wasn't gentle.

    I had similar servo issues as you also. If you pull them and find cuts in the wires too, while it might be purely coincidental, I'd keep and eye on these.

    One odd flight behavior I saw was that the nose was slightly delayed in rotating in maneuvers, then caught up and "snapped" through. If you start seeing something similar, look to these.
    What you’re describing is exactly the issue I’m trying to resolve on mine with that weird snap. Did reinforcing that area get rid of the snap behavior? I was thinking it was because of my cg and rates.

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    stojakovic

    Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

    Great upgrade to the files.:trophy:

    Nothing says Fa-18C like 'light in the night'

    Your work is outstanding....Bravo Zulu, Sir.

    Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • stojakovic
    replied
    do some enhance
    Elbee

    thanks for your share。
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    https://www.printables.com/model/134...le-rails-lh_rh​
    ​

    Hornet Dudes and Dudettes,
    I have posted the aforementioned FreeWing Fa-18C Missile Rails on Prusa Printables.:partying_face:

    Better late than never, as I wrote I would do this a couple years ago

    Please Note:
    My design is more scale than functional and makes no provision for adding Aim-9s, but you can drill these out and modify in order to do that yourself.

    Now that said, it won't be the 'slide on/slide off' as per OEM.

    There you have it.

    Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Thank you, thank you ausie. Elbee is indeed good people.

    Leave a comment:


  • f4u ausie
    replied
    Elbee. The endlessly. Just a nice helpful man. Next time I feast my eyes on this thread,, I'm sure :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray: we will have had a successful maiden :cold_sweat: very good luck aros. Check check check ​

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Aros

    "Look sharp, feel sharp, be sharp."

    "Girls go crazy for a sharp-dressed man."

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	428911

    Nothing like yellow missile rails to make a "Bug" look sharp.

    Best, LB

    Ps: Make certain you apply enough adhesive to the "Outer Part 4" ends, so it does not separate at Mach 1.475.:dizzy_face:


    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Thanks to a good friend, Elbee (who would rather remain anonymous I'm sure...Whoops, heh heh), my once fated and unceremoniously tossed into a forest F/A-18C Blue Angel has the mandatory missile rails added to the wingtips once again. They really do finish the model off perfectly.

    Thank you dear friend. Now onward we go with great hope for a more successful (re)maiden!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	428907

    Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	255
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	428908
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied


    Hornet Honchos.

    Today is the "Home Air Show" for the Blue Angels at NAS Pensacola.

    Beautiful museum and a big time fun city..

    The ewe-toob link is the "Live Feed" of the entire show with the "Blues" going out at 1400 local.

    Enjoy.

    Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    commented on 's reply
    Amen to that, Brother.

  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    Good info friends! I won’t attempt a re-maiden without making sure the antennas are correct. Hugh Wiedman I will take you up on walking me through it when the time comes if you are so inclined.

    Well she ain’t gonna be confused for a Top Gun entry but all things considered, not too bad!

    ​Just amazing it flew almost a mile away into the woods and she’s still in one piece!
    ​
    Excellent work, her enemies won't know the difference. All you need now is the missile rails and up she goes! BTW, almost all of my aircraft have hours of repairs in them, some more visible than others, but that's another great thing about this hobby is resurrecting an aircraft from disaster and returning her to duty!

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Good info friends! I won’t attempt a re-maiden without making sure the antennas are correct. Hugh Wiedman I will take you up on walking me through it when the time comes if you are so inclined.

    Well she ain’t gonna be confused for a Top Gun entry but all things considered, not too bad!

    ​Just amazing it flew almost a mile away into the woods and she’s still in one piece!
    ​
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    I’m a firm believer in satellites. My Hornet has two, one in the nose wheel well and one under the right vertical stab. It’s also a good idea to keep the active element end away from servo, especially the ESC lead) or battery wires. Having the shunts GG talks about on leads can also help though I don’t use them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros

    Good stuff! When I opened up the battery tray the RX is still facing forward, flat, all servo leads still firmly plugged in place. One of the antenna wires is facing aft and one facing forward (see photo). I may even have a spare satellite antenna I can use to add to the configuration. I should have done that to begin with.

    Hopefully it's just an ESC replacement and she's back up and ready to go for a second attempt. I will be pushing the battery forward to get closer to manufacturer's recommended. It really did act tail heavy from the start. I couldn't seem to get that nose down to control her and bring her back to me which is why she kept flying away from me until the crash.

    I'm determined! Especially with this exceptional good fortune thanks to my search crew!

    Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed.jpg Views:	59 Size:	243.3 KB ID:	428468
    Noticed in the photo that your antennae are placed 1 going forward, with active end (stripped exposed wire) horizontal and the other going aft with the active end also horizontal. Unfortunately, with both on the horizontal plane, you are only covering 1 of the 3 directional planes. You will get a poor signal reception on a horizontal plane antennae when the TX is directly behind or directly in front of the aircraft. You need to place the active end of one of the antennae either vertical or left/right to get at least 2 planes covered. It still may be a temp loss of signal or resulting hold that gave you issues on the maiden. Also check to see what orientation we selected on the RX in forward programming. I know you felt it was tail heavy, but 88mm manual is just too nose heavy, at least for decent landings. I fly at 103 and I think you started at 98. Jandro flew his at 110, but that's Jandro. You may want to start at 92 and go from there. Here to help when you ready to diagnose the gyro set-up. Also, unfortunately the AR8360T requires a 4 pin matching sattelite, the SPM4651T which is a SRXL2 DSMX Remote and costs $58. Gives 2 more antennae, but I doubt you really need it if you get the main antennae placed properly. Then after ground testing and flight, go to the TX telemetry and see how many frame losses you get (up to 30-40 OK) and holds (even 1 of those is sayonara).

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by Earl Poe
    Blue Angels F/A-18C
    Can someone send a picture of the nose steering servo mount? I got a new fuselage and think I'm missing a bracket or something. Thanks for your help.
    EP,

    Does this help?

    My strut steering arm and servo box are modified, but the gear mount plastic box is OEM Stock otherwise.

    Best, LB

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0412.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.4 KB ID:	428551

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Elbee you are a rock star's rock star!

    Leave a comment:


  • xviper
    replied
    Have you looked through the "photos"? After flipping through them for about a minute, I found some on page 70 of the photos that shows you what you need to know.

    Leave a comment:


  • Earl Poe
    replied
    Blue Angels F/A-18C
    Can someone send a picture of the nose steering servo mount? I got a new fuselage and think I'm missing a bracket or something. Thanks for your help.

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    https://www.printables.com/model/134...le-rails-lh_rh

    Hornet Honchos,

    There's been some renewed interest in the 3DP missile rails for this model.:partying_face:

    Okay, just one guy, but we all know him.

    I have posted my version I used on my Hornet on Prusa Printables. See Link.

    Better late than never, I said I would about 2 years ago, "Doh!"

    My set comes as 4 printed parts each side and screws in place in the OEM location.

    I drilled and tapped the OEM Mount points to 2-56 (or 4-40 ) and used countersunk nylon screws from the hardware store,

    It should be noted there is no mounting provision for Aim-9s, though you could add those with your own mod.

    Best, LB

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Freewing F-18C Missile Rails.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.2 KB ID:	428509

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_501.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	428510 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0526 - Close up.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	428511 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1202b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	428512

    Leave a comment:


  • davegee
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Blues Full Formation 2025.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	428494
    Beautiful legacy F-18s of the Blue Angels!! Happy Birthday, America!!🪄🪄🪄

    Leave a comment:

Working...