Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aros
    replied
    #12 is not going to die just lie my Seahawks!!

    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee

    I am no flight instructor nor do I play one at my local community theatre, but...

    Are you inputting any left rudder at the same time, i.e., coordinated turn?

    If both ailerons have equal travel up and down more rudder will be needed

    Are your ailerons setup with differential ailerons, i.e., more up aileron than down aileron on the opposite wing?

    In this case of a left hand snap, differential ailerons can help control the roll without stalling the right wing.

    Is the nose pitching up or down in a left-hand roll?

    Being a high performance model with thin wings and scale like wing area, this design has high wing loading inherently.

    You're an experienced pilot, especially with this airframe, I am certain your throws are textbook, but textbook might be too much.

    I've only flown my Hornet twice and was pleased to have her back in one piece both times.

    Did not experience snapping, she would simply drop off the map at too slow a speed.

    I figure to go 8S if I decide t bring her out of Hanger Queen Mode.

    Best, LB


    ​
    You know my friend I actually do not use much rudder on this jet. Yank and bank is the usual M.O. No differential ailerons but what a great idea! I actually reduced my throws significantly from manual and she still made me skip a few heartbeats! Closer analysis is a must! Thank you!

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    Nice flight yesterday. No issues but even with reduced aileron throws I noticed she wanted to snap roll on left aileron throughout the entire flight. Right aileron was fine but left was BAM! Instant snap. Landed without issue but I am left wondering why the snap roll sensitivity on left inputs?
    I am no flight instructor nor do I play one at my local community theatre, but...

    Are you inputting any left rudder at the same time, i.e., coordinated turn?

    If both ailerons have equal travel up and down more rudder will be needed

    Are your ailerons setup with differential ailerons, i.e., more up aileron than down aileron on the opposite wing?

    In this case of a left hand snap, differential ailerons can help control the roll without stalling the right wing.

    Is the nose pitching up or down in a left-hand roll?

    Being a high performance model with thin wings and scale like wing area, this design has high wing loading inherently.

    You're an experienced pilot, especially with this airframe, I am certain your throws are textbook, but textbook might be too much.

    I've only flown my Hornet twice and was pleased to have her back in one piece both times.

    Did not experience snapping, she would simply drop off the map at too slow a speed.

    I figure to go 8S if I decide t bring her out of Hanger Queen Mode.

    Best, LB


    ​

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Nice flight yesterday. No issues but even with reduced aileron throws I noticed she wanted to snap roll on left aileron throughout the entire flight. Right aileron was fine but left was BAM! Instant snap. Landed without issue but I am left wondering why the snap roll sensitivity on left inputs?

    Leave a comment:


  • sharam
    replied
    Thank you guys, I really appreciate the kind words.
    🙏🙏🍻

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    I dig yellow as a primary on jets so it works!

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by sharam
    Another one:
    I LIKE IT!!! Thinking outside of the box! :call_me:

    Leave a comment:


  • sharam
    replied
    Another one:

    Leave a comment:


  • sharam
    replied
    Thanks!


    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Cool turbine! Never thought of a reverse livery. Love to see more photos.

    Leave a comment:


  • sharam
    replied
    Originally posted by xviper
    Having tried this many times in the past, this becomes a bit of a hit and miss, especially for something in this weight category. Good power to weight is only one part of the equation for a successful hand launch. Unless you can robotically and consistently throw the plane the same each time, the tendency for it to roll is high. Most people throw overhand with a bit of a twist. The toss must be fast and straight/level so that sufficient airspeed is obtained for the plane's power system to keep it going. This is where an electronic device comes into play.
    The best examples of good hand tossed planes are those from Eflite and Flex Innovations that come with "launch control". You can purchase just the Aura 5 Lite and add it to most planes for the launch feature BUT if you need a lot of channels, you'll lose some features (however, there are ways around this). These will allow you to set your TX down till the plane is airborn. It sets the elevator for a pre-determined pitch angle and the gyro will achieve "level" (roll) very effectively even if the launch is a bit "off". It basically takes off in "SAFE" (or auto level) but with about a 10 degree up incline. The plane will continue in that trajectory until you touch the right stick (mode 2). EG. I can throw my Flex Pirana in any fashion, turn around and walk back to my chair behind the pilot station, sit down before flying the plane. I don't worry about losing sight of the plane because it goes in a straight line till I move the sticks (We generally use a spotter whenever we fly. I don't recommend this for safety reasons, but only state that it's that stable and predictable.)
    Flitetest markets this Aura 5 Lite for many of their foamboard plane kits.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

    I started using “Safe” on the Spektrum receiver for hand launches and it really does make the launch process much easier. I tried a couple of launches yesterday w/o gyro; it was a bit hairy but manageable. I am used to it now and if I get a good powerful launch, it’s smooth sailing.

    BTW, here is a picture of the foamy F-18 next to his big brother, a reverse color Blue Angels 200 Turbine F-18.


    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Nice maiden of the ARF PLUS the other day. No gyro activated. Low rates. Still too sensitive on aileron throws so I reduced them a bit more. There’s just something about this airframe/model that wants to be “twitchy”. I think really reduced aileron throws help mitigate that. I may dial in some gyro next time and play with the F modes as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    I don't hand launch my EDFs, I have a short bungee that I made 30 some odd years ago for launching slope soarers over the trees up in the mountains here. It makes my launches almost fool proof. I have a Reflex with auto level in my Fafale and it works great, all the others are no gyro. That said I do have a bunch of pylon racers from EFX's to S400 and F5D. A trick for a good throw is to hand a prospective thrower a regular old broom and have them throw it without side arming it. Doing this they easily see what they are doing right or wrong.

    Leave a comment:


  • xviper
    replied
    Originally posted by sharam
    BTW, since it has a good power to weight ratio, I have wondered if I could put my transmitter on a chair, flip throttle to full, and toss it with both hands straight up, then grab the transmitter. Sounds like a recipe for disaster but heck, it’s a hobby and experimentation is part of the fun! 🧐
    Having tried this many times in the past, this becomes a bit of a hit and miss, especially for something in this weight category. Good power to weight is only one part of the equation for a successful hand launch. Unless you can robotically and consistently throw the plane the same each time, the tendency for it to roll is high. Most people throw overhand with a bit of a twist. The toss must be fast and straight/level so that sufficient airspeed is obtained for the plane's power system to keep it going. This is where an electronic device comes into play.
    The best examples of good hand tossed planes are those from Eflite and Flex Innovations that come with "launch control". You can purchase just the Aura 5 Lite and add it to most planes for the launch feature BUT if you need a lot of channels, you'll lose some features (however, there are ways around this). These will allow you to set your TX down till the plane is airborn. It sets the elevator for a pre-determined pitch angle and the gyro will achieve "level" (roll) very effectively even if the launch is a bit "off". It basically takes off in "SAFE" (or auto level) but with about a 10 degree up incline. The plane will continue in that trajectory until you touch the right stick (mode 2). EG. I can throw my Flex Pirana in any fashion, turn around and walk back to my chair behind the pilot station, sit down before flying the plane. I don't worry about losing sight of the plane because it goes in a straight line till I move the sticks (We generally use a spotter whenever we fly. I don't recommend this for safety reasons, but only state that it's that stable and predictable.)
    Flitetest markets this Aura 5 Lite for many of their foamboard plane kits.

    Leave a comment:


  • jetpltrich
    replied
    So, the purpose of stripping the gear out and hand launching it is to get a better power to weight ratio, or you have difficulty taking off and landing with the gear?

    Leave a comment:


  • sharam
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros

    What modifications did you do in order to hand toss? My setup was to fortify the main gear inner doors with epoxy but it was still a real bear to grip properly with all that battery weight in the front of my hand placement.
    I agree, I usually have a buddy toss it for me. I have thrown it myself maybe 15 times and it’s pretty nose heavy when I grab to toss it.

    I am not as strong as I used to be so I prefer to have a buddy toss it.

    I made no modifications.

    BTW, since it has a good power to weight ratio, I have wondered if I could put my transmitter on a chair, flip throttle to full, and toss it with both hands straight up, then grab the transmitter. Sounds like a recipe for disaster but heck, it’s a hobby and experimentation is part of the fun! 🧐

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by xviper
    Hand launching an F-18 (90mm) is tricky. Best done with a helper. I used to throw an F-18 for a friend. He had a very hard time doing it by himself while holding a TX.
    Yeah that's what I think as well. If it was a 70mm, no problem. The size of the 90mm with the fore battery weight really makes it a challenge to toss it solo one-handed. Ask me how I know.

    Leave a comment:


  • xviper
    replied
    Hand launching an F-18 (90mm) is tricky. Best done with a helper. I used to throw an F-18 for a friend. He had a very hard time doing it by himself while holding a TX.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by sharam
    I have over 50 flights; had one bad toss but the grass area saved the airplane. Yes, the throw is quite tricky.
    What modifications did you do in order to hand toss? My setup was to fortify the main gear inner doors with epoxy but it was still a real bear to grip properly with all that battery weight in the front of my hand placement.

    Leave a comment:


  • sharam
    replied
    I have over 50 flights; had one bad toss but the grass area saved the airplane. Yes, the throw is quite tricky.

    Leave a comment:

Working...