Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread
Collapse
X
-
If it's any consolation (and I'm sure it isn't), my 80mm A-10 V2 did what your F-18 did - rolled right just after take off and took a dirt nap, broke the nose off at the wing's leading edge. Still can't explain it. Flew well all season up till that point. New fuse came a couple days ago awaiting surgery.Leave a comment:
-
I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING!!!!
Aros,
You, Sir, dare I even write it; seem to be cursed.
Have you angered any local indigenous peoples of ancient lineage?
If so, it is my understanding that there is a ritual that will end their curse, but only if one has the proper attire and coinage.
Just sayin'...
Best, LB


Leave a comment:
-
Yes I am using the AS3X receiver/gyro that Hugh has had great success with. In fact we walked through the calibration together just the other day. Everything looks fine. Gyro is moving the controls in the right direction, all settings are where they should be.Are you using a gyro? Did you check that the gyro response for AIL was in the proper direction?
Hard to tell from the video but are your flaps even? It almost looks like the the left flap was down more than the right flap.
The left AIL jitter may have been a result of the impact with the tree. Could have stripped a few gear teeth which prevents it from centering.
When I do a hat cam video with my Iphone, I put it on 2x magnification. I make sure the picture is centered in the frame by checking on my Iwatch. I also load the video directly to YouTube from the phone and do any editing on YouTube.
The flaps were in the full up position and I don’t see any discrepancies with one being down more than the other. At least not in any real measurable way I can tell.
I think you’re right. The servo jitter was probably due to the impact. I never saw it do that before then.
Thanks for the video info, I’ll try that next time!
Appreciate the comments.
Leave a comment:
-
Aros,
You, Sir, dare I even write it; seem to be cursed.
Have you angered any local indigenous peoples of ancient lineage?
If so, it is my understanding that there is a ritual that will end their curse, but only if one has the proper attire and coinage.
Just sayin'...
Best, LB
Leave a comment:
-
Just watched it todd. Boy theres some poisen or something in that foam.. just does not want to fly.. bad luck.. surely its a setup thing.. gota keep trying.. off in an hour 4 my day of reckoning(f16 maiden). Will let yas noThe drama continues.
Took off from a lovely paved runway and instantly upon rotation she torque rolled into some trees. I had no control. Luckily this bird has 9 lives apparently as she once again survived crashing into the woods without hardly a scratch.
Upon retrieval the left servo was jittering like crazy without any inputs. I don’t know if it’s a bad servo causing the uncontrollability or not. The onboard footage doesn’t show any violent flutter but it does show the left aileron trying to roll left without any ability to do so.
Finally, I can’t figure out why my iPhone ground footage shows up so tiny on the YouTube video. I use Adobe Premiere but can’t seem to fix the issue. If anyone has any ideas I’d appreciate it!
Leave a comment:
-
Are you using a gyro? Did you check that the gyro response for AIL was in the proper direction?
Hard to tell from the video but are your flaps even? It almost looks like the the left flap was down more than the right flap.
The left AIL jitter may have been a result of the impact with the tree. Could have stripped a few gear teeth which prevents it from centering.
When I do a hat cam video with my Iphone, I put it on 2x magnification. I make sure the picture is centered in the frame by checking on my Iwatch. I also load the video directly to YouTube from the phone and do any editing on YouTube.Leave a comment:
-
The drama continues.
Took off from a lovely paved runway and instantly upon rotation she torque rolled into some trees. I had no control. Luckily this bird has 9 lives apparently as she once again survived crashing into the woods without hardly a scratch.
Upon retrieval the left servo was jittering like crazy without any inputs. I don’t know if it’s a bad servo causing the uncontrollability or not. The onboard footage doesn’t show any violent flutter but it does show the left aileron trying to roll left without any ability to do so.
Finally, I can’t figure out why my iPhone ground footage shows up so tiny on the YouTube video. I use Adobe Premiere but can’t seem to fix the issue. If anyone has any ideas I’d appreciate it!
Leave a comment:
-
Absolutely, as they say, "If at First You Don't Succeed, Try Try Again"! A motto to live by in this hobby.You got some real beauties there Hugh Wiedman. Mine is all ready for the re-maiden...You up for a phone chat later this week to walk me through my final gyro setting checks? Would be a huge help!
Leave a comment:
-
Looking forward to a review of your maiden.You got some real beauties there Hugh Wiedman. Mine is all ready for the re-maiden...You up for a phone chat later this week to walk me through my final gyro setting checks? Would be a huge help!
RichLeave a comment:
-
You got some real beauties there Hugh Wiedman. Mine is all ready for the re-maiden...You up for a phone chat later this week to walk me through my final gyro setting checks? Would be a huge help!Leave a comment:
-
Hugh just put the 1500 kV fms 8s in my f4.. the 454 is now a 500 cuber.
Same flight time and weight etc.. 2 flights so far:partying_face:Leave a comment:
-
Got out last Friday with a few, including my F18'S. Been flying them a lot after converting their Ar637T to Plus, flies awesome on a HiV SMC 5900, OVER 5 minutes. Unfortunately our summer Bermuda grass field, although cut short, has gotten thick and luscious with all the rain and sun, great for your front yard but not a runway.
Both have the older 12 blade 4068 inrunner (think that's the size) which has always worked great but now realize I didn't fly these much in the summer. Extrodinarily long take off run (which seriously drains the pack) and when it gets off it's at or near stall speed. Violent rolls, usually left, occasionally right, made each flight an adventure. In the air it's fine and landing easy, but that take off ruins my normally cool and collected demeanor (OK, more BS).
So I'm biting the bullet, just ordered one 8S setup that I have (and love) in both F4'S, F16 V1 and Euro, which get off in 50 feet in the summer grass. The F4 and F16 fly great on a HiV SMC 8S 5900, but expect to use an 8S 4900 in the F18, as God knows it doesn't need more weight. I'm probably creating a bigger disaster but if I can't get off easily on this grass, it's no use to me. If it works, I'll do the other also.
Leave a comment:
-



A great time had by all! Boy do I forget how LOUD those beautiful blues can be in a low pass!!
Leave a comment:
-
Hugh Wiedman
As a leading 'fake' veternawriun, it is my conclusion it wasn't the 'jet noise' the killed the cat.....
Best, Dawktre El Bee, MBS, VBS, MDBS, PHDBS
1 PhotoLeave a comment:
-
Outstanding!!! Didn't I hear that some crazy in Washington is suing the Blue Angels for a fly over that scared her cat to death? :flushed: Too bad the wrong "animal" bought the farm. Of is it that you just figured out a way to fund the purchase of many many more 90mm F-18 Blue Angels? Count me in, I can find a dead cat somewhere!
Leave a comment:
-



Leave a comment: