Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Elbee
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Blues Full Formation 2025.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	428494

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by Fruchtzwerg76

    Hey Steve, really great work! The parts are superb.

    I was wondering which pilot figure did you use in your F18 cockpit?
    Telling from the pictures, the pilot is not included?

    Best greetings.

    Alex
    Hey Alex,

    The pilot body is from Max Grueter Designs and I found it on CGTrader, also Greuter has some things on Cults3D, I think.

    There are a couple pilot figures that are similar and less expensive around that you could use.

    I modified the OEM pilot head by removing a "V" shaped section out of the back, pinching and gluing it together, and printing a modified cylinder shape for a new neck.

    Sounds strange, I know, but it worked as I liked the general design of the OEM pilot head.

    Happy 4th of July.

    Best, Steve

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0166.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	428486 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	428487

    Leave a comment:


  • Fruchtzwerg76
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee

    Prusa Printables:

    https://www.printables.com/@Stevie_14806/models

    Choose: Open files in Prusa Slicer.
    There might be an STL Download as well, but it's easier just to drop to Prusa Slicer from the Printables.

    Best, Steve
    Hey Steve, really great work! The parts are superb.

    I was wondering which pilot figure did you use in your F18 cockpit?
    Telling from the pictures, the pilot is not included?

    Best greetings.

    Alex

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman
    3 possible issues IMO:
    1) RX got loose (unlikely)
    2) Check RX orientation and confirm it was correct
    3) Signal loss, in watching the video that may have happened. Assuming you placed the two antennas going forward. Keep in mind the signal reception area around the active end is like a donut, so if both are lined up along the fuse, you'll loose signal when it is flying directly at you or away. You should place one that way, and the 2nd up/down or left/right. With EDF's, I always add a sattelite RX as well with 2 more antenna. In the F18 I placed it behind the battery. With those 4 antennae, every possible directional plane is covered. Lipos, edf ESC's and any carbon fiber raise hell with signal, and with only 2 antennas in front, the battery and carbon tubes in the fuse block signal aft (where you were standing). You should also check for Frame Losses and Holds after flight in your TX telemetry. In the video, to me it looked like a couple points where you got a Hold.

    Just some random thoughts to pass on to the NTSB
    Good stuff! When I opened up the battery tray the RX is still facing forward, flat, all servo leads still firmly plugged in place. One of the antenna wires is facing aft and one facing forward (see photo). I may even have a spare satellite antenna I can use to add to the configuration. I should have done that to begin with.

    Hopefully it's just an ESC replacement and she's back up and ready to go for a second attempt. I will be pushing the battery forward to get closer to manufacturer's recommended. It really did act tail heavy from the start. I couldn't seem to get that nose down to control her and bring her back to me which is why she kept flying away from me until the crash.

    I'm determined! Especially with this exceptional good fortune thanks to my search crew!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	428468

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    Long thin screwdriver through the bottom cheater. If you have a AS3X receiver it has to be upright and still to initialize.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    Hey gents, what's the easiest way to access the ESC? The cheater intake section doesn't appear to have any screws to easily access the ESC. Pop off carefully with a tool? My RX still is working fine, all the lights, control surfaces, gear...No issue. But the ESC does not make those series of tones when I plug in the battery and there is no throttle at all. I need to access the ESC and most likely replace it.
    If I'm not mistaken, I think you have to access it by removing the edf cover and take the fan out to get better access to the ESC.

    So glad you found it, now the investigation begins. If you dare, I'll help you mess it up again as it seems I'm pretty good at that.

    3 possible issues IMO:
    1) RX got loose (unlikely)
    2) Check RX orientation and confirm it was correct
    3) Signal loss, in watching the video that may have happened. Assuming you placed the two antennas going forward. Keep in mind the signal reception area around the active end is like a donut, so if both are lined up along the fuse, you'll loose signal when it is flying directly at you or away. You should place one that way, and the 2nd up/down or left/right. With EDF's, I always add a sattelite RX as well with 2 more antenna. In the F18 I placed it behind the battery. With those 4 antennae, every possible directional plane is covered. Lipos, edf ESC's and any carbon fiber raise hell with signal, and with only 2 antennas in front, the battery and carbon tubes in the fuse block signal aft (where you were standing). You should also check for Frame Losses and Holds after flight in your TX telemetry. In the video, to me it looked like a couple points where you got a Hold.

    Just some random thoughts to pass on to the NTSB

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied


    Blue Angels maneuver of the week.

    Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Hey gents, what's the easiest way to access the ESC? The cheater intake section doesn't appear to have any screws to easily access the ESC. Pop off carefully with a tool? My RX still is working fine, all the lights, control surfaces, gear...No issue. But the ESC does not make those series of tones when I plug in the battery and there is no throttle at all. I need to access the ESC and most likely replace it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by stojakovic
    Elbee
    Yeah man, seriously nice work
    Where can I find the stl files,such as nose gear door and the antennas.
    I searched through thingiverse but couldn't find it
    could you please tell where can i find it.
    :pleading_face:
    Prusa Printables:

    https://www.printables.com/@Stevie_14806/models

    Choose: Open files in Prusa Slicer.
    There might be an STL Download as well, but it's easier just to drop to Prusa Slicer from the Printables.

    Best, Steve

    Leave a comment:


  • stojakovic
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee
    Hey Hornet Aficionados, Back to work here at LB's Hornet Worx. Vents, antennae, Filler at elevator bay, gun port, 2 coats primer on the bottom/top tomorrow, then sand, sand and more sanding. Best, LB
    Elbee
    Yeah man, seriously nice work
    Where can I find the stl files,such as nose gear door and the antennas.
    I searched through thingiverse but couldn't find it
    could you please tell where can i find it.
    :pleading_face:

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Anyone happen to have any spares of those coveted wingtip pylons?

    Asking for a friend.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee
    Aros

    How many hours of 'blinking' did you edit out of your video?

    Best, LB
    I think about 2 days worth!

    Leave a comment:


  • f4u ausie
    replied
    That's funny

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Aros

    How many hours of 'blinking' did you edit out of your video?

    Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Here's the video I never thought I would be able to release!

    Leave a comment:


  • f4u ausie
    replied
    Wow so reminiscent of my al37. I so wish it had of been intact.. only it was roughly 4 kilometres away.. great news aros..

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    I'll deeper dive into it on my lunch break and see what - if anything - is still working. They said it was about 75 feet in the trees from the field, completely lying flat on the ground as if she was gently put there.

    A very Blue ANGEL indeed!

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    Look what my buddy found! Some club members decided to go do a search party. Found it about 75 feet inside the woods. Intact!!
    That is so very cool in a million ways.
    Congrats to the SAR Team and now you can cancel that "Blues Alert" !

    Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Look what my buddy found!

    Some club members decided to go do a search party. Found it about 75 feet inside the woods. Intact!! I’ll have to test it later but I just can’t believe it. Never thought I would see it again.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1638.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.9 KB ID:	428372

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied


    RIP

    Leave a comment:

Working...