Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aros
    replied
    When I took the gear out of mine, the first flight was fantastic. Flew great with less weight, but the second hand toss was a disaster.

    Leave a comment:


  • sharam
    replied
    Using iX20 with a ten channel receiver.

    Leave a comment:


  • jetpltrich
    replied
    [QUOTE=sharam;n442275]F-18 90 mm without landing gear early 2023. Very fast and better flight times, especially with LiHV batteries.

    What radio are you using?

    Rich

    Leave a comment:


  • sharam
    replied
    F-18 90 mm without landing gear early 2023. Very fast and better flight times, especially with LiHV batteries.


    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    My persistence knows no end when it comes to my favorite models. Bought an ARF PLUS and threw the last one's guts into her. I know the tail number is fantasy but it's in honor of my beloved Seattle Seahawks having a fantastic season this year. GO HAWKS!
    Great to Hear That Your "Back In The Saddle" Again!!!:cowboy:

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee

    Aros,

    Ahh, I see and here I thought it was the total number you've owned...

    Impressive season for the Seahawks, trust they'll go all the way.

    Best, LB
    LOL! I wrote that very thing to a friend in text yesterday. It just may well be #12!

    Cheers and thank you friend!

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    My persistence knows no end when it comes to my favorite models. I know the tail number is fantasy but it's in honor of my beloved Seattle Seahawks having a fantastic season this year. GO HAWKS!
    Aros,

    Ahh, I see and here I thought it was the total number you've owned...

    Impressive season for the Seahawks, trust they'll go all the way.

    Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    My persistence knows no end when it comes to my favorite models. Bought an ARF PLUS and threw the last one's guts into her. I know the tail number is fantasy but it's in honor of my beloved Seattle Seahawks having a fantastic season this year. GO HAWKS!

    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Dr8820
    replied
    Originally posted by d9inger
    Any idea when the PNP will be back in stock?
    d9
    They’re back in stock, I purchased 7 Blue Angels to make the entire fleet

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Airguardian,

    Great rebuild, Sir.

    I have used the foam-safe before, but not on this scale.

    Good to know you're happy with the results on structure strength.

    She is one beautiful Hornet, congrats.

    Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    Finally repaired my F-18! :DDD

    About three years ago, I badly crashed my Freewing 6S F-18 Hornet scale fighter jet. Last thursday, the EF-18A took off to the skies once more!

    The main reason it took me so long to get her back from the ashes is because I wasn't satisfied with the performance of the glues I had tested out on EPO so far. Consider that I had put 2 weeks worth of work in the paint job, so I didn't want to rush the repairs until I felt confident enough that the results would be good. When I repaired my split-in-two Eurofighter from a different crash earlier this year, I learnt that foam safe cyano actually works wonders on EPO, and it helps fix parts very fast when using an activator spray, so that gave me the confidence to get the work started... but then I was out of cyano for a while, because I didn't want to pay for the shipping costs to order just a few glue bottles from Motion... so I waited until I had to buy something more from them to make out the threshold for free shipping!

    That happened just this month, so I finally got my cyanoacrylate glue and quickly got the repair job started. It still took me 4 full evenings to pull the whole jet back together. The nose was bent from compressed foam and I also had to use a heat gun on strategic pinpoint locations to get the model straightened out. The nose gear was ripped off and its pin shorn off. One of the main retracts was totally destroyed from the impact, one taileron had the ball link broken and the other had detached entirely from the airframe. Many cosmetic pieces were torn off... So you see, it was quite a lot of work, but I managed to pull it off, And now I'm so hyped to have my gorgeous F-18 back!!! :DDDD

    Now that the jet flies again, I'll fix the paint and may consider upgrading to Jeti gear. ^^

    The crash was a result of pilot error. First, the EDF was affected by FOD so I lacked thrust on take off, which made me accelerate too slow and I run straight into the sun. As I noticed what was happening I panicked and tried to turn away from it only to stall the jet and have it point back AT the sun. The second attempt to turn left was carried out while completely blinded by the sun, and the outcome was the exact same as the first attempt, except now I couldn't control the exit due to lack of direct line of sight so the stall developed into a spin and the jet turned around 180º and dived straight at the ground.

    I said she'd fly again, and now that promise has been fulfilled, even if it took me quite a while to get there! :p

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Aros,

    :boom::fire::face_with_symbols_o:open_mouth::face_ with_symbols_o:pleading_face::face_with_symbols_o: zipper_mouth::cocktail::cocktail::cocktail::woozy_face:

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    Another one????

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    And so she ends like she began.

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    Maybe call their customer service?

    Leave a comment:


  • d9inger
    replied
    Any idea when the PNP will be back in stock?
    d9

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman

    Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! :hear_no_evil: I would've bet the farm that wouldn't work, although I don't have the farm anymore after other losing bets!

    Next time go for full gyro, turn that knob and marvel at how stable it is. My fortune telling side sees an ARF in your future! Would be nice to take off and land without eventually tearing your rotator cuff. :face_with_hand_over
    Now see if you can hand launch it in a hover! :rolling_eyes:


    Torn rotator cuff indeed! Definitely would prefer someone else tossing her for me that’s for sure. I will definitely increase the gyro gain next time for sure. I suspect I was probably around 1/3 of where the sweet spot is.

    I too suspect the ARF PLUS in my future regardless. I setup the notification to let me know when they arrive (I hear sometime in November). I just gotta have her in full glory mode.

    For varying reasons I now have three belly landers: Freewing 70mm F-16, FlightLine B-25 and this model. Strange but true!

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    Went to my club on my lunch break to give it a go. I had every reason to believe it would leave my hands to a unceremonious wing rock into a glorious stall and crash in pieces a few feet away.

    Instead, with a little effort to hold on for dear life once I hit full throttle, I gave it a firm, slightly nose high toss and off she went, wings level and perfect!

    Flight was great! I added in a little gyro but being on a knob I wasn't sure how much
    I was quite pleased! PLENTY of stock power for a hand toss with gear removed.
    Glad to be the guinea pig!

    :ba_f18:
    Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! :hear_no_evil: I would've bet the farm that wouldn't work, although I don't have the farm anymore after other losing bets!

    Next time go for full gyro, turn that knob and marvel at how stable it is. My fortune telling side sees an ARF in your future! Would be nice to take off and land without eventually tearing your rotator cuff. :face_with_hand_over
    Now see if you can hand launch it in a hover! :rolling_eyes:

    Leave a comment:


  • xviper
    replied
    Great news!
    Glue a plastic (painted same color as the plane's belly) hand hold where it's comfy to grab and toss.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee
    Aros,

    Maybe the weight loss was the key.

    Don't know how much all the landing gear weighs or how that affects C-o-G.

    Seems like that is the only variable you changed.

    Inquisitively, LB
    I think those two crashes will remain a mystery. I did notice I had to move my Admiral 6000 pack plenty far forward to meet the CG sans gear. Those dual yellow lines on the side flaring by the canopy are the perfect CG marking location.

    Perhaps the Flight Gods are sleeping and didn't notice my presumptuousness, tempting fate once again! MOOOHAHAHAHA

    Leave a comment:

Working...