Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Elbee
    replied
    Yesterday, 06:47 PM
    Originally posted by Elbee View Post
    I'm thinking more an open framework cam & pin attached to a separated LE.

    This is not my original drawing, different author, in theory the principle would be similar.

    Linear servo(s) for deployment; could be mixed with "Flap switch, Throttle setting, both???

    Click image for larger version Name:	LE Slats bw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.8 KB ID:	445701
    That wouldn't be scale for a Hornet though. Hornets (as most modern fighter jets), use leading edge flaps, not slats. They don't leave a gap nor extend forward, only droop down. ;)

    As for implementation logic, I'd go for the following:

    1 - Droop down with flaps. (Easiest)

    2 - G-force induced through telemetry. (The higher the Gs, the more droop, on a ramp that went from 1.2Gs to 4Gs, 0 to 100% deflection, for example. This would need fine tuning though).

    3 - Alteratively, gyro controlled (unidirectional) so that when there's pitch up rate, the LEFs droop down).

    4 - Pitch input linked (Droop down above certain elevator stick input).

    5 - Switchable offset (Drooping down on a 2 or 3 position switch like flaps, but without flaps, for things like sustained high alpha).

    Ideally you'd only want them to be actuated as a function of AoA, but estimating AoA on a model aircraft isn't trivial, so the options above cover some of the scenarios of interest.
    ​
    Airguardian

    You are so correct, uncertain what I was thinking.

    Thanks for setting me straight.

    I would think that dropping the LE would be a simpler design than a moving LE.

    Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    Here's a little full scale inspiration treat!

    Leave a comment:


  • jetpltrich
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman

    I'm using either an SMC 8S HiV 5900 (972 gr) or 4900 (840 gr). On the 4900, 5:30 and on the 5900 over 6:00, but I usually use the 4900 as it flies better with that pack and 60% throttle is great cruising speed, where the 5900 needs a bit more throttle especially on take off and therefor is not as efficient! The 8S power is outstanding for grass take-offs. If I was on asphalt, the 6S most likely would be fine with an SMC HiV 6S 5900 (750gr).
    Thanks Hugh, I fly exclusively off pavement with 5000/5700 batteries and I average 5:00 to 5:30 depending on how extreme I get with the flying. What's nice about pavement and my full flap taileron setup is a shorter takeoff with 80% throttle.

    Rich

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by jetpltrich

    What is your average flight time with the 8S setup?

    Rich
    I'm using either an SMC 8S HiV 5900 (972 gr) or 4900 (840 gr). On the 4900, 5:30 and on the 5900 over 6:00, but I usually use the 4900 as it flies better with that pack and 60% throttle is great cruising speed, where the 5900 needs a bit more throttle especially on take off and therefor is not as efficient! The 8S power is outstanding for grass take-offs. If I was on asphalt, the 6S most likely would be fine with an SMC HiV 6S 5900 (750gr).

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    I put a lot of work into editing this one, I hope it shows... enjoy!! :D


    Leave a comment:


  • jetpltrich
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman

    Agree with Evan D. I've repainted 2 90mm F18's, both originally grey. Suggest you first paint a white primer over everything for better paint adhesion and so your final colors come out true.

    Like This: Both are now 8S, sweet! 🤙
    What is your average flight time with the 8S setup?

    Rich

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Monki69
    Hi, I just bought a grey F18 and I want to remove all the decals. I tried using a hair dryer but I haven’t had any success. What do you recommend?
    Agree with Evan D. I've repainted 2 90mm F18's, both originally grey. Suggest you first paint a white primer over everything for better paint adhesion and so your final colors come out true.

    Like This: Both are now 8S, sweet! 🤙

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210701_175333.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	444244

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    Paint over them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Monki69
    replied
    Hi, I just bought a grey F18 and I want to remove all the decals. I tried using a hair dryer but I haven’t had any success. What do you recommend?

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    Thanks!
    Glad that's figured out then!

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by Airguardian

    Thanks LB!
    I'm starting now to get notifications for all the threads after a long while of them just not working for whatever reason, so I just read your message now :p
    AG,

    We've had a few issues here in past few months with heavy spam attacks.

    Glad you're back onboard, Sir.

    Happy New Year, too.

    Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee
    Airguardian,

    Great rebuild, Sir.

    I have used the foam-safe before, but not on this scale.

    Good to know you're happy with the results on structure strength.

    She is one beautiful Hornet, congrats.

    Best, LB
    Thanks LB!
    I'm starting now to get notifications for all the threads after a long while of them just not working for whatever reason, so I just read your message now :p

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    50% expo are rookie numbers!



    Just kidding, there's no one single correct way to set up an aircraft, but I tend to be 70-85% expo all around on my birds... sometimes even more!
    Then again, I fly very aft CGs and extreme throws, so that's that too...

    Originally posted by Aros
    You know my friend I actually do not use much rudder on this jet. Yank and bank is the usual M.O. No differential ailerons but what a great idea! I actually reduced my throws significantly from manual and she still made me skip a few heartbeats! Closer analysis is a must! Thank you!
    I use a lot of rudder as a default, it's baked into my flight style... but on the F-18 I find it absolutely paramount to keep turns sane. More so on my more rearwards CG centering. If I just bank and yank, the jet doesn't turn at all. It starts climbing at an angle, lol.
    I'd program some differential on the ailerons but first I'd need to split the aileron servo leads... will probably end up doing it, by migrating from FrSky to Jeti and adding a stabilized receiver to do the stabilization setup a tad better.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Noted, thanks! Although I think I am already around 50% expo as it is. :grimacing:

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    Nice flight yesterday. No issues but even with reduced aileron throws I noticed she wanted to snap roll on left aileron throughout the entire flight. Right aileron was fine but left was BAM! Instant snap. Landed without issue but I am left wondering why the snap roll sensitivity on left inputs?
    Both of mine have a tendency to do that, especially on take-off if I don't keep the right stick PERFECTLY centered left to right (aileron) while giving up elevator. The F18 is a touchy bird with the ailerons. I added some extra expo on the aileron and solved that snap roll.

    Leave a comment:


  • f4u ausie
    replied
    Thankyou as always will try

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by f4u ausie
    Wrong thread.. but since the info is here. ,, here will do... I was was wondering if this above coordinated turn thing would apply to the f4 phantom,, with it's different shape wings.. it's easy to fly especially fast. My friends turn to final looks better than mine... But boy it looks very slow..scarily. He said he tried a rudder mix,, but it didn't like it!!!.. so Steve , i was wondering on the above stated,, regards to the phantom. don't think I've ever touched the rudder
    F4u,

    Even more so with the Delta wing configuration.

    I noticed on my 6S Phantom would want to tuck the nose without the addition of some Rudder, so I added a mix.

    Differential Ailerons is something I put into any RC model airplane.

    Easy with all the programmable radios, we used to it with servo linkage setups.

    I added an Aileron/Rudder mix on my Hornet, too.

    Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • jetpltrich
    replied
    I was a brand new first officer at Southwest flying with an aerobatic champion and while I was turning base to final landing in San Antonio he said "ahh, someone who knows how to use a rudder." Yes, even though the 737 has a yaw dampener you need to add a tad of rudder to coordinate a turn. My EDF's have gyro's though adding a little rudder helps the turns. It's very noticeable with the A-10 and I do add a tad when dirty and in the pattern with the F-18.

    Rich

    Leave a comment:


  • f4u ausie
    replied
    And just 4 U aros go the seahawks

    Leave a comment:


  • f4u ausie
    replied
    Wrong thread.. but since the info is here. ,, here will do... I was was wondering if this above coordinated turn thing would apply to the f4 phantom,, with it's different shape wings.. it's easy to fly especially fast. My friends turn to final looks better than mine... But boy it looks very slow..scarily. He said he tried a rudder mix,, but it didn't like it!!!.. so Steve , i was wondering on the above stated,, regards to the phantom. don't think I've ever touched the rudder

    Leave a comment:

Working...