no shadow of a dought. That awsome tiger paint will be shredding paint soon .. won't b easy to fix.. weather here crappy tmora morn (Sunday). So gota wait bit longer to get F16 first 8s flight:sob:in nervous but confident .. with little Xtra weight. Just keep speed up me:pleading_face:
Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread
Collapse
X
-
Hugh U make us all chuckle.. me anyway
no shadow of a dought. That awsome tiger paint will be shredding paint soon .. won't b easy to fix.. weather here crappy tmora morn (Sunday). So gota wait bit longer to get F16 first 8s flight:sob:in nervous but confident .. with little Xtra weight. Just keep speed up me:pleading_face:
-
Hugh, I believe your double post is part and parcel of the ongoing issue with this site's "mechanics" (IT stuff). A few of us have experienced intermittent security issues and slow (extremely slow at times) response to "Post Reply", Edits and Saves. As such, this may compel some posters to click "post reply" a second time because nothing happens after the first click. I've experienced up to 30 seconds before a reply is posted. Someone else here has reported up to 1 minute. That's a long time to wait for something that usually takes less than a second.Leave a comment:
-
Why did I have a double post? I know everyone is just sitting on the edge of their seat hoping to hear words of wisdom from this modern day Mahatma Gandi, but once should be more than enough for my adoring fans!
Elbee can you delete one for me (maybe both if you're honest about it)? Tried, but couldn't do it, I'm more of a rotary phone guy with turntable music in the background. :cowboy:Leave a comment:
-
Just finished my 2nd F18 upgrade to 8S! Whoopi (and not the Goldberg kind.
) Now calling them "Semi-Super Hornets", just hope the graphics and paint don't strip off from the intense air friction at full throttle!
Was only able to get 3 flights on the 1st over the last 2 weeks due to continued never ending rain, so hoping to test #2 out soon. #1 flew spectacularly, so no reason this won't either. Nice thing about the upgrade was that the 8S battery placement wasn't much different vs 6S, back less than 10mm to still balance at 103mm. Previously used SMC HiV 6S 5900 (750 gr), now using SMC HiV 8S 4900 (843 gr) or SMC HiV 8S 5900 (972gr).
Check out the clean battery bay thanks to Jandro's guidance, (battery placement of the front of a 4900 at green lines, 5900 about 20mm further back):
Leave a comment:
-
-
Thanks Evan and Hugh. My goal with this project had two objectives. 1. To really prove the Plus receiver is cable of taming this airframe, and 2. To let others in this community know that though this airframe is wicked it can be tamed and be an absolutely awesome bird to fly. I approach flying my jets like flying the real thing. I fly with a GPS speed read out and have found like the real thing it helps tremendously. My only issue is it has a slight lag and the mental math on windy days can be a challenge. I would like to see Spectrum bring back their airspeed unit, if anyone has one laying around, I'll gladly purchase it.jetpltrich Outstanding report Rich!! Now if we can just get Aros into the "Brotherhood of the F18 Plus RX", maybe we can get Freewing to do a V2 Super Hornet.
But then my 8S Hornet would just be obsolete after only a week.
Hornet number 2 set for 8S upgrade Sunday 
I really hope that Aros has a successful flight with his F-18.
RichLeave a comment:
-
jetpltrich Outstanding report Rich!! Now if we can just get Aros into the "Brotherhood of the F18 Plus RX", maybe we can get Freewing to do a V2 Super Hornet.
But then my 8S Hornet would just be obsolete after only a week.
Hornet number 2 set for 8S upgrade Sunday
Leave a comment:
-
Great report. Please be careful with full span flaps, especially the amount you are using. It's fairly easy to stall the wing.Leave a comment:
-
I took the liberty to configure my F-18 Hornet Gray to mimic the real F-18 Hornet Flight Controls. The link is a post video configuration test of the flight controls, sorry no flight video.
My first step was to replace all flight control servo's, minus the rudder, to HiTec Torque servo's. It has been my experience the original servo's, specifically the flap servos, are simply not up to the task and give up on the full flap setting over time. I believe this has been mentioned by others.
I purchased a new 8-channel Spectrum Plus RX and updated it to the very latest software; I think it is version 3.3. It has been my experience that even though they are newly purchased RX’s they have older versions of software.
Because the configuration required use of all 8 channels, I put the Assan AG61 steering gyro in the aircraft. I love steering gyros!
My concerns with this configuration were many, specifically the roll rate and how was the airframe going to act in turns. What could I expect with full span flaps on approach. So, with that I created one more Rate/Expo on the three-way switch that controls rates.
High Rates: 100% rate, 12% expo
Mid Rates: 70% rate aileron/elevator, 80% rudder, 12% expo
Low Rates: 50% rate aileron, 70% elevator, 80% rudder, 12% expo
If I experienced too high of a roll rate on Mid Rates, which I intended to use for the test flight, I could switch to low rates.
Gains were put on the gear switch, down increased the gains considerably, up reduce gains.
This morning I test flew it.
Weather:
Winds Calm
Clear Skies
Temperature 65F
Altimeter 30:10 pressure
Density altitude 680 feet.
Runway 3800’ x 60’
The aircraft flew great! The rotation to flight took less than I expected. Roll rate was pretty much normal though it required a tad more back pressure on the stick to maintain the turn. I did one roll and it roll like a drill bit much like the A-4.
Overhead break to down wind and once level selected Takeoff flaps. I noted a slight pitch down and I was expecting that, a tad of back pressure corrected that. Gear down presented no issues at all. Now for the full flap selection. Much more nose pitch down though I quickly corrected. I throttled up to approximately 40 to 50% throttle and she settled into a very nice stable approach. GPS speed was approximately 30mph. The airframe presented itself as if it was the real thing, so cool. I'm going to add more percentage of up elevator in the flap settings.
Note: In case of a go-around full flaps are your enemy! It is not the gear that is the drag, it’s the flaps. In the 737 I flew as an airline pilot the procedure is: 1. Go-around thrust, 2. Flaps 15, 3. Positive rate of climb Gear up, 4. 1000’ agl or minimum safe altitude lower pitch and clean up per MASI Speeds. This applies here with the little planes as well. This configuration has a lot of flaps hanging out in the final landing configuration.
I maintained the 40 to 50% power until in the flare and she settled on the runway as if she was landing on a carrier. Should it be windy with light gust I'd increase speed appropriately.
I just wanted to share this with those that are leery of this plane. The Spectrum RX has really changed this aircraft and this configuration is really cool.
Rich
Leave a comment:
-
Test flight complete! The F18 on 8S is sweeeet! If you're flying off asphalt, stay with 6S, but for grass, 8S makes a big difference. Our runway was getting quite thick and even cut short, my 2 F18'S were starting to struggle getting off, borderline at stall speed, making each take off an adventure. Installed an 8S fan in my oldest F18 which was pushing 100 flights, with several early flights before going to AS3X Plus, less than perfect. It has the Elbee incredible cockpit and a JHH full body pilot, which added nose weight and a recent flight that when the pilot in the cockpit (not the one operating the TX sticks :lying_face:) attempted a go around, got it in too high alpha, and spiraled into the ground, severely damaging the forward fuse. After a ton of epoxy, spackle and gallons of paint, it looks perfect, but had to add an additional 7 ounces of lead to keep my tail heavy balance (on top of 2 1/2 ounces already there) at 105mm.
So would this fat cat even get airborne? Stock it's already borderline on wing loading, what would almost 3/4 of a pound of lead and an 8S battery do to it? Well, no problemo! Got off fine, and the grass was even wet, and flew great, couldn't tell it was a candidate for TV's " My 600 Pound Life".
Put a short video of the take off below, also the F4 on 8S, which plows through heavy grass like a bull! The grass mounds and ant hills really threw off the F18's take off run, making it kind of squirrelly, especially since I have it tail heavy, but damn. I LIKE IT!
I'm now officially an 8S Junkie, may never get a 6S 90mm again. On 8S have 2 F4's, Eurofighter, F16 V1 and the F18 Canadian and soon to follow the F18 Tiger. That one only has about 30 flights and is in pristine condition so won't need all that extra lead. Look out Maduro and the Drug canoes off Venezuela!
The SMS 8S HiV 4900 & 5900 are perfect for these. The F4 and F16 in 8S also fly much better than on 6S.
Sorry for the poor video quality, shot by a friend using his phone, which I believe is an older rotary phone. :rolling_eyes:
Our Lawn mowers, soon to be venison burgers:
Leave a comment:
-
Sounds Good, looking forward to your guaranteed successful mission, just let it power down the runway until it essentially starts to lift off with virtually minimal up elevator!

Well my friend I am just waiting on that replacement left servo and then she’s back in business for a THIRD (re-)maiden attempt. Holy capers Batman, this model has proven to give me more fits than the LX SR-71 Blackbird did back in the day!
Weather looks decent so perhaps sometime later this week. I’ll post the results here first, good, bad or ugly!
Would love to hear the results of your 8S setup!
I'm going to try to get out Thursday morning and try the 8S setup, as the afternoon is more rain. It's been raining the last week :cloud_rain: and it's forecasted to rain every day for the next 2 weeks, :cloud_lightning: so the prognosis ain't great. Damn, you'd think I was living in London or the Pacific Northwest Coast!
Leave a comment:
-
Aros, when is the re-re-remaiden of your Blue Angel? I need to Mark it on my calendar as the "Aros Liberation & Excising of Demons Day"! :japanese_ogre: I just finished installing a 12 blade 8S fan in one of mine, so looking forward to trying out my new "Super Hornet"
:ba_f18:
Well my friend I am just waiting on that replacement left servo and then she’s back in business for a THIRD (re-)maiden attempt. Holy capers Batman, this model has proven to give me more fits than the LX SR-71 Blackbird did back in the day!
Weather looks decent so perhaps sometime later this week. I’ll post the results here first, good, bad or ugly!
Would love to hear the results of your 8S setup!
Leave a comment:
-
Aros, when is the re-re-remaiden of your Blue Angel? I need to Mark it on my calendar as the "Aros Liberation & Excising of Demons Day"! :japanese_ogre: I just finished installing a 12 blade 8S fan in one of mine, so looking forward to trying out my new "Super Hornet"
:ba_f18:
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks for the input gents.
Chatting with Hugh in PM, I think he’s on to something. I likely rotated too soon which put her into a stall situation. I did this because I am nervous flying on an active runway (even with permission) so I was standing at the threshold versus somewhere in the middle. I didn’t want it to get too far away from me which is why I rotated a bit sooner than I might normally have.
Once I replace the left servo I am going to try again and this time extend the takeoff roll plenty so the rotation will be at optimum speed. Now if it acts wonky and crashes again? Then I will be convinced this particular model has gremlins.
Stay tuned!Leave a comment:
-
Hum, confusing. I've attached a video of my Artic Splinter F-18 and on the very first takeoff you'll note she takes a slight right bank after takeoff. I've looked the flaps and ailerons and there is such a super tiny difference between the left and right flaps that one would think it doesn't make a difference, but it does. I've tried adjustments but she either rolls the opposite way or makes it worse. My solution is 20 left aileron clicks left for takeoff and landing and 10 clicks to the right for a clean airframe.The drama continues.
Took off from a lovely paved runway and instantly upon rotation she torque rolled into some trees. I had no control. Luckily this bird has 9 lives apparently as she once again survived crashing into the woods without hardly a scratch.
Upon retrieval the left servo was jittering like crazy without any inputs. I don’t know if it’s a bad servo causing the uncontrollability or not. The onboard footage doesn’t show any violent flutter but it does show the left aileron trying to roll left without any ability to do so.
Finally, I can’t figure out why my iPhone ground footage shows up so tiny on the YouTube video. I use Adobe Premiere but can’t seem to fix the issue. If anyone has any ideas I’d appreciate it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dnGzpgJZFo
My Gray F-18 had some hangar rash, and I decided to put a new Spectrum Plus RX in it and can make a video of the RX setup. This way you can see how I do it and maybe we can track down the issue.
RichLeave a comment:
-
Wow Aros, you don't have any luck with those F-18's that's for sure. I remember when they first came out a few years ago and I bought one of each livery, well both of mine almost crashed for no reason that I could find, using no gyros either so I will never know on that but I did replace the elevator servos after finding out some kits had sliced wires on the servos and both of mine had that issue. I replaced the servos and still had issues after that even, I sold both of them and never plan to get another one of those goofy jets, you may have to do the same and just forget the F-18...
Leave a comment:
-
I really just don't get it! Can't see anything in the onboard video, other than you trying to correct the roll right with left aileron. Although I really don't see anything from the crash that would damage that left aileron servo causing the insane jittering. As I said in my text to you after you informed me of the crash, I think you should make a claim with that rouge outfit that sold you this plane. I do believe I've solved the issue though. :lying_face: Since it is a well know fact that the F18 Blue Angel is your dream machine, someone in payroll at MRC (who mysteriously got a raise), most likely named "Karen", has figured out a way to get back all or a lot of the funds they send your way. She has instructed the warehouse to select "special" unflyable F18 Blue Angels and mark them FOR THE EXCLUSIVE USE OF TODD B! You've gone through at least 10 of those, so the only question left is how many are still marked "Special"! You may need a proxy or undercover agent to start "buying" anything more at MRC!The drama continues.
Took off from a lovely paved runway and instantly upon rotation she torque rolled into some trees. I had no control. Luckily this bird has 9 lives apparently as she once again survived crashing into the woods without hardly a scratch.
Upon retrieval the left servo was jittering like crazy without any inputs. I don’t know if it’s a bad servo causing the uncontrollability or not. The onboard footage doesn’t show any violent flutter but it does show the left aileron trying to roll left without any ability to do so.
Finally, I can’t figure out why my iPhone ground footage shows up so tiny on the YouTube video. I use Adobe Premiere but can’t seem to fix the issue. If anyone has any ideas I’d appreciate it!

Seriously though, if the problem is the gyro, you can dial it off and at least take off and fly it, then slowly dial in the gyro if all goes well. At least you can determine if it is the RX, but I have to say, I just really don't think it is. A wayward servo makes so much more sense.Leave a comment:


Leave a comment: