Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gvasiloff
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    I did full span on mine, along with crow, tailerons and rudder air brakes. I didn't put in the full span flaps to replicate the full scale, but more programed it all in to see what gave me a better flying experience. I never use the full span flaps as I found them unstable compared to using regular flaps or crow and rudder air brakes.

Gvasiloff, rating and ship?
    CDR, Pilot, currently writing you from the USS CARL VINSON (CVN 70)...

USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) added a new photo. - USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) (facebook.com)

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    I did full span on mine, along with crow, tailerons and rudder air brakes. I didn't put in the full span flaps to replicate the full scale, but more programed it all in to see what gave me a better flying experience. I never use the full span flaps as I found them unstable compared to using regular flaps or crow and rudder air brakes.

Gvasiloff, rating and ship?

Leave a comment:

• Gvasiloff
    replied
    Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
    That's actually surprising (that the plane flies so well with full span flaps).

Is that with gyro on?
    And if so, have you tried the same with the gyro off?

May have to test it out myself!
    If tried it with gyro on and off. Obviously it's going to be a little smoother with gyro on. My full flap position is based on full down aileron deflection. I simply programmed the flaps to be flush with the ailerons in that position. So with full span landing flaps, its going to require a considerable amount of nose up compensation which i have programed in to deploy with the flaps. I have the flaps deploy over 3 seconds. To make turns nice and coordinated, i have about 10% rudder mixed in with the ailerons, 100% aileron differential (very little up aileron only), and about a 25% taileron mix. This is very scale to the full size hornet. Their rudders on the full size jet move a lot with lateral stick inputs in the landing configuration to keep it in coordinated flight. I see F-18s land every day in my current job on the ship ;)

For takeoff flaps, I did the same thing but at about 60% of maximum down aileron deflection. Additionally, I have each rudder on a separate channel and mixed each one with the flaps (activated in takeoff flaps only) to toe-in at near maximum deflection. This is a scale feature that the full size hornet uses for takeoff only (activated by a computer when it senses weight on wheels with the flaps down) for extra authority to rotate the nose at slower speeds (such as a bolter on a carrier landing). It really looks cool on this model when you do it and the model with smoothly rotate on it's own in this configuration, just like the real jet. Knowing plenty of legacy hornet pilots and having flown the real simulator myself, the hornet actually requires no input form the pilot on takeoff to rotate. They simply hit a "takeoff trim" button, slam the throttles forward, and when the jet is ready, it rotates on its own. Pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    That's actually surprising (that the plane flies so well with full span flaps).

Is that with gyro on?
    And if so, have you tried the same with the gyro off?

May have to test it out myself!

Leave a comment:

• Gvasiloff
    replied
    Originally posted by Corsair nut View Post
    Put 4 flights on the new gear and paint and i LOVE IT!!! took some tweaking to get the gear going up in air but once i sorted that..it flew awesome!!
    Corsair nut, did you program in the full span flaps, or just pose the aircraft like that for the photo? I programmed in full span flaps (half & full) on mine along with tailerons and rudders that toe-in (for half flaps only on takeoff) and it flies like a dream. Looks super scale and lands like a feather. No tip stalls with the setup either. It is actually more stable in the roll axis with the full span flaps. I added 100% differential on the ailerons at full flaps so that you only get up aileron with the flaperons and the tailerons augment the roll. I'm also running an A3 super3 dual aileron gyro though and it's rock solid.

Leave a comment:

• Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Composite!! I was looking for the rest of the team to roll up along side in the photo it looks so real! I could swear I saw the pilot give the "Good to Go" Salute!
    You're right! That first shot you would be hard pressed not thinking it wasn't full scale! Wow thats a beaut! Major BA envy over here!

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros View Post
    Congrats! Wow Corsair nut I cannot get over how sweet your BA looks! I would swear it was composite!
    Composite!! I was looking for the rest of the team to roll up along side in the photo it looks so real! I could swear I saw the pilot give the "Good to Go" Salute!

Leave a comment:

• Aros
    replied
    Congrats! Wow Corsair nut I cannot get over how sweet your BA looks! I would swear it was composite!

Leave a comment:

• Corsair nut
    replied
    Put 4 flights on the new gear and paint and i LOVE IT!!! took some tweaking to get the gear going up in air but once i sorted that..it flew awesome!!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Something I meant to upload earlier... my battery positioning and securing method with foam on the Hornet.

Packs are 6S 5Ah Panther Li-Pos (875g) pushed all the way back.

Notice the use of foam to block the pack in place against the tray velcro strip.

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Thanks Hugh!
    These are frames taken from my lastest flight videos... hopefully coming up sometime soon, so there's a teaser! ;)

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Airguardian Outstanding photos, of course it takes just the right pilot to get the aircraft in those positions in the first place!

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Thanks Aros!
    Here go a few more from the latest flight session!

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Aros
    replied
    Congrats Hugh Wiedman ! What a beaut! Killer shots Airguardian!

Leave a comment:

• Eagleflight47
    replied
    Can anyone comment on how this airplane flies with the 3748-1750kv Freewing EDF? I’m considering purchasing the ARF+ and sticking the 3748-1750kv in just because I have one sitting on the work bench

Leave a comment:

• JP-4203
    replied
    Thanks Brent, JP!

That LG mod looks the part, can't wait to see it in action on your next flight vid! :)

I resorted to Callie Graphics.
    Not just the vertical stab graphics, but also the tiger stripes and orange parts, transitioning to the grey in circular dots.

These are CNC-cut vinyls so the result is very good.
    It was a custom order, and as such it wasn't perfect from the get go but I contacted Callie and she fixed it! :)

excellent works, Callie seems to be unbeatable ,.... thx Airguardian

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Plane was still in one piece afterwards!

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Congrats on the maiden Hugh!
    Smooth landings!
    How could you tell, the phone was shaking so much it looked like it was spastic! Guess the phone needs a gyro!

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Congrats on the maiden Hugh!
    Smooth landings!

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Thanks Brent, JP!

That LG mod looks the part, can't wait to see it in action on your next flight vid! :)

Originally posted by JP-4203 View Post
    How did you create your rudder pics? Self-printed water decals or any other?
    I resorted to Callie Graphics.
    Not just the vertical stab graphics, but also the tiger stripes and orange parts, transitioning to the grey in circular dots.

These are CNC-cut vinyls so the result is very good.
    It was a custom order, and as such it wasn't perfect from the get go but I contacted Callie and she fixed it! :)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X