Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The swede
    replied
    Hugh Wiedman

    ​​​​​​​Hi Hugh Wiedman!

    Thanks for the information regarding gains, then I have some values ​​to go by.
    Okay then maybe I should start with CG 100mm instead. Our field is on grass but very smooth and nice. I fly with Gripen and with 70mm F16 without any problems.
    I have a question for you because you fly with Spectrum.
    Can you adjust the elevator separately when you have the flaps down without affecting the setting on the elevator when the flaps are up? if you understand what I mean?! :-)

    Leave a comment:


  • Big12fan
    replied
    Originally posted by nuts-n-volts
    EFlite actually still lists and sells the FMS 70mm F-18F version, as well as FMS selling the same thing to the US. Both show no stock so maybe discontinued?
    Yeah I have that one and it flies nice but just lacks that big bird presence like the 80/90 version.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by The swede
    InTheTubeDeep Tack😁
    I think I go around 95 on the CG, en work from there if I need. And I have some up elevator mixed to the flaps, I hope that will work as a starting point.
    And for the Gyro (Spektrum AR8360T) I really don’t know. Three position switch with off, 35/35/35 and 40/50/60 maybe?! if anyone has a good tip, it is gratefully received. :-) I don’t want to mess with a knob when Im flying 😅
    Not a bad idea to start around 95mm, 88mm is way too nose heavy, flies OK with lots of up elevator trim but wants to keep it's nose down on landing and is difficult to get in a high AOA. I fly both of mine at 102mm with an SMC 6200. Well over 5 minutes flight time (both have the 12 blade inrunner instead of the 9 blade stock, only to help in getting off grass) and 4 minutes if you really hot dog it. Some fly it at 110mm or even further back. I've tried it at 112mm, flew great and landed extremely nicely and gets into a nice high alpha in flight, but taking off of our grass runway which currently has a lot of bumps and pot holes, the nose wheel hits those on the take-off run and pops up each time, making the take-off rather erratic and extremely interesting. If you're flying off the beach which looks nice and smooth, you may end up at 110mm or more, unless you hit a sand castle or two.

    I did remove the circuit board on both and stuck it to the side of the fuselage to get far enough back to get to 114mm and put all the electric wires and RX under the battery tray, but you may not have to get yours as far back. I built out the "LB" 3D cockpit and put a full body JJH 1/10th scale pilot in that altogether added about 250gr of extra nose weight over the stock cockpit.

    Regarding gains, I'm using the AR637T and have my gain channel tied to flaps, so with flaps up, my gains are still fairly high at 45/50/55, and with take-off and landing flaps I'm around 75/85/95. I do have the gain adjust set for the right knob, but have yet to have to turn them down.

    Leave a comment:


  • nuts-n-volts
    replied
    EFlite actually still lists and sells the FMS 70mm F-18F version, as well as FMS selling the same thing to the US. Both show no stock so maybe discontinued?

    Leave a comment:


  • Big12fan
    replied
    I’m ready for a Super Hornet after Top Gun: Maverick. To bad Freewing or eflite didn’t make separate models…..

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Made a batt bay extension- gain about 60mm pushing batt aft

    SMC 6200 goes about 60mm further aft. Anyone interested who cannot print from above STL PM me
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • The swede
    replied
    InTheTubeDeep Tack😁
    I think I go around 95 on the CG, en work from there if I need. And I have some up elevator mixed to the flaps, I hope that will work as a starting point.
    And for the Gyro (Spektrum AR8360T) I really don’t know. Three position switch with off, 35/35/35 and 40/50/60 maybe?! if anyone has a good tip, it is gratefully received. :-) I don’t want to mess with a knob when Im flying 😅

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee

    TD, Nicely done. Best, LB
    Ha I didn't have the patience to wait 11 hours this will do just fine! Here's the STL for those interested- simply glue to existing tray (just tweaked it)

    FW 90mm Batt Tray Short 62mm v2 (1).stl
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by InTheTubeDeep
    ...I designed an extended tray ..
    TD, Nicely done. Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    The blue box is screwed in! Luckily I unscrewed the batt tray and noticed before I broke something trying to cut it out- I designed an extended tray stock is 228mm, if I measured correctly its another 62mm to back wall, so made a single tray 290mm, but that came out to 11hr print so I just designed a shortcut to glue to original tray added 62mm, should be functional and allow the SMC 6200s or other LiPos to be pushed further aft
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Originally posted by The swede
    Hi all!

    My F18 is done and ready for maiden.
    Meget bra! Looks cool the Viking on vert stab is sick! What CG will you maiden??

    Leave a comment:


  • The swede
    replied
    Hi all!

    My F18 is done and ready for maiden.

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    LB noted ⬆︎. Pilots where are you setting ELE- lined up with the Fusi seam line?

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    commented on 's reply
    ITTD, ask anyone interested in purchasing these to send you a Private Message (PM) and/or post the offer in the Classifieds (bottom of Home Menu Page)/ Respectfully, LB

  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Finalized the Burner, making 3 will sell 2 here if any F18 pilots interested please PM me!
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Whats in the Box

    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    I finalized the Burner after 3 print versions
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • jasmith41
    replied
    Sorry for this, but I'm thinking there are a lot of other people like me - have / fly both FW and Eflites...

    Anyway, this pertains to the Eflite Viper 90. I crashed mine and i'm in the process of putting her back together, but i wasn't smart enough to take pics of the nose gear linkage / set-up when i took her apart, so if any of you have one of these birds and would help a brother out, please send me a pic of the nose gear down inside the gear bay so i can see what i should have photographed... and how the linkage all goes back together...

    many thanks in advance if there's anyone that can assist...

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Working on a Amber Burner now 2 versions
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    Get the PNP and sell anything you don’t want later. The PNP is always a better deal financially than the kit+.

    Leave a comment:

Working...