Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyphren
    replied
    Hi yamr663304, I assume you‘re talking about this plastic strut. Mine broke, too. I fixed it with a thin carbon bar inside and epoxy glue.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FE609100-DB98-4C68-A359-2E3276ADEDF9.jpeg
Views:	463
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	328460

Leave a comment:

• yamr663304
    replied
    Thanks for the reply Airguardian! Servos are not stalled in the up position and I had previously moved the pushrod down on the servo arm. I believe these stock servos are just marginally capable of handling the loads of these flaps. Thanks for the info on the nose gear strut and servo recommendations. I'll be replacing the servos and post results.

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Originally posted by yamr663304 View Post
    I'm experiencing the same flap problem as described on several posts in the thread. Started having asymmetrical flap deployment or half flap deployment when I had selected full flaps on the transmitter.
    Did you make sure that when your flaps are retracted the servos are not under any kind of load or struggling?
    That could cause them to overheat and lack torque later on when required.
    The flaps need to close flush and lined with the airfoil but not tight. If the servos are holding it closed by doing force, this will wear them down fast.

Also, did you move the linkage one extra hole in on the servo arm to improve mechanical advantage?

In any case, I'd likely replace the flap servos if I were you. I have not replaced mine, but mine haven't failed (yet).
    (...and cross fingers it stays like that).

Broke the white strut on the nose landing gear but otherwise no damage. [...]
    Also, I don't remember what the white plastic strut on the nose gear looked like before but mine is now in two pieces. I don't know if it just broke cleanly in the middle or if it was originally two pieces held together by some other piece that I'm now missing. Is it supposed to be one piece and are some guys reinforcing it somehow?
    The cosmetic 'supporting white brace' comes as one piece but easily snaps in two on hard landings.
    I repair mine with a wooden skewer stick fit on the inside and contact glue.

Now to my questions...I know I have seen reference to what servos some folks are using to replace the flap servos but I can't seem to locate that post now. Can someone please recommend a drop in replacement servo with more power for the flaps?
    Corona DS-939MG should be perfect for the role.

Leave a comment:

• yamr663304
    replied
    Hi guys...great forum! I have been following this thread for quite some time and have actually looked over all 259 pages over time. I now have 7 flights on my BA F18C and I'm experiencing the same flap problem as described on several posts in the thread. Started having asymmetrical flap deployment or half flap deployment when I had selected full flaps on the transmitter. I bypassed the blue box for everything except landing gear and lights as others have posted. I also eliminated any slow movement of the flap servos (they are full speed and deploy immediately on the ground). Test flew again yesterday and first flight seemed fine...flaps worked as intended...nice flight and landing. Next flight was a different story. I deployed half flaps on downwind after slowing the airplane down a bit and extending the landing gear with no noticeable problem. When I selected full flaps, the airplane rolled over almost on it's back. Luckily I was able to retract the flaps and save it but the landing was less than stellar with calm conditions and zero flaps. Two go arounds resulted in an almost dead battery on the last approach so I had no choice but to set it down...pretty hard. Broke the white strut on the nose landing gear but otherwise no damage.

Now to my questions...I know I have seen reference to what servos some folks are using to replace the flap servos but I can't seem to locate that post now. Can someone please recommend a drop in replacement servo with more power for the flaps?

Also, I don't remember what the white plastic strut on the nose gear looked like before but mine is now in two pieces. I don't know if it just broke cleanly in the middle or if it was originally two pieces held together by some other piece that I'm now missing. Is it supposed to be one piece and are some guys reinforcing it somehow?

Sorry for the long post and thanks very much in advance!

Leave a comment:

• Hollywood 001
    replied
    James I like the 115 decals !

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Prom queen!

Leave a comment:

• Aros
    replied
    Gorgeous shots!! Holy crap!

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    A few cool shots from today's session! :D
    Frames are from Tuckie's GoPro, flying formation with me on a DJI FPV

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    This one's particularly dedicated to all Metallica fans out there...

Ladies and gentlemen, shall I present to you the "Master of Hornets"

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    There goes some more Hornet rocking!

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    I didn't think of that myself, tbh.
    Topdogzrc gave me the idea.
    My original plan was to turn the ribbon into a multi-output wire-thing manually.

But I'm lazy and his approach seemed to be more straightforward!

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
    Well, my point is, if you keep the wing-mounted one and the ribbon cable, adding another one of these on the opposite end of the ribbon should give you individual access to each servo.
    Again, I have not thoroughly examined the connections, need to do that yet, but should be plug and play!
    Oh, now I see what you mean, yes that would do the trick. I'm not that creative so you have to assume you're speaking with a 2 year old.

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Well, my point is, if you keep the wing-mounted one and the ribbon cable, adding another one of these on the opposite end of the ribbon should give you individual access to each servo.
    Again, I have not thoroughly examined the connections, need to do that yet, but should be plug and play!

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    That's the one I was talking about. I think it should work but have not tested it yet!

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...FbWzcrJgo6ewJE dxCcf6Dz2FgVrANvBjmpIcylLM
    That's the same wing connection board that it comes with stock. The photo in the description shows the pins that the aileron/flap servo connections plug into and the other side, not shown, is the connector for the ribbon cable. That's the board I removed so I could just plug the extensions coming from the RX directly into the wing servos. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd leave the wing as is with the ribbon connector, but cut the wires coming off and solder them directly to the extensions going to the RX. I was hoping to find a board that had the same pins on both sides.

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Thanks Aros!

Here I come with more Hornet to share! :D

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
    Airguardian if there's a board out there that fits into the Hornet wing for the aileron and flaps, I'm all ears. Just didn't need the extra wires of a ribbon cable and needed to bypass the circuit board.
    That's the one I was talking about. I think it should work but have not tested it yet!

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...FbWzcrJgo6ewJE dxCcf6Dz2FgVrANvBjmpIcylLM

Leave a comment:

• Aros
    replied
    Ya fly her like a champ!

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    New video sporting the new livery... lovin' it!

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    I mean the small little green PCBs that come on the wing side which have a ribbon cable input on one end and servo connectors on the other.

I think you can supposedly use those on the opposite side of the ribbon cable to put out individual servo leads again, so they don't get mixed up in the BB. Would have the benefit of still being able to connect the wing using a single connector which is convenient.

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Airguardian if there's a board out there that fits into the Hornet wing for the aileron and flaps, I'm all ears. Just didn't need the extra wires of a ribbon cable and needed to bypass the circuit board. Fortunately, there are no wing lights that need to go through it to reduce voltage on. I have a tendency to do things kind of "half a..sed" so anything that works better than what I've got I'm interested. This is my current "Rube Goldberg" (a distinctly American 60's/70's term that many of you may not get) set-up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210925_170728.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	325579

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    I recently got the wing-PCB breakdown boards for the F-18 / MiG-29 so I can bypass the blue box entirely and control each servo individually.
    :)
    What are the wing-PCB breakdown boards? I have each of my wing ailerons & flaps servos plugging directly into my RX on both of my Hornets, primarily because I experienced an issue with flaps on my first Hornet and couldn't get both to work in the air (worked fine on the ground) even with taking flap deployment to 0. I just removed the existing board on each wing and plug the wing servos directly into leads that go to the RX. Not as quick and easy as the stock setup, but have not had a problem since bypassing that main control board. By the way, I've had issues with several FW/FL planes with intermittent flap deployment (B-24/Avanti/F-18) that all have the circuit control board (as opposed to the actual blue box). Have yet to have a problem with any with the actual Blue Boxes. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X