Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Airguardian
    replied
    It's the power of faith!

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman

    Now that you have the ground crew fully trained and you stay away from those "half court three's" number 8 undoubtedly has a decent chance for survival. (Wonder how many here get either of those references )


    I can only choose to believe if others can fly her successfully, why not me? Gremlins? Hogwash. Pretty sure the sticks move the same for everybody.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Aros
    In some parallel universe my friend, I'm almost certain the common phrase is "Eighth time's the charm!" :woozy_face:
    Now that you have the ground crew fully trained and you stay away from those "half court three's" number 8 undoubtedly has a decent chance for survival. (Wonder how many here get either of those references )

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    Best of luck!

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    In some parallel universe my friend, I'm almost certain the common phrase is "Eighth time's the charm!" :woozy_face:

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Aros Congratulations. "This time for sure...", he said. (Insert ROFL emoji, if I had one ???) In the mean time, insert Archer GIF. Best LB

    Click image for larger version

Name:	archer-danger-zone.gif
Views:	462
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	351355

    Leave a comment:


  • Aros
    replied
    I couldn't help myself. I am a glutton for punishment as they say. Welcome home #8. Yes, as in my 8th Freewing F/A-18C Hornet. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. This was my buddy's pride and joy. He is intensely meticulous with his models (even came with wing AND stab bags). He said this one flew "right" out of the box. Zero issues or gremlins, no trouble at all. Perfectly dialed in and comes with a Spektrum gyro that works flawlessly. I'm going to upload his .SPM file so I will have his exact setup and settings. So now, if the unthinkable occurs, I will have nobody to blame but Mr. Dumb Thumbs. I also told him if the unthinkable DOES happen, I will never tell him and move to another state.



    Bonus points, she fits in my Toyota Supra!!

    Leave a comment:


  • The swede
    replied
    I also have the exact same problem with my flaps.
    It has resulted in me always landing with take off flaps. Because it has always worked. I'm going crazy when I can't find the error. I thought this error was solved with V2 of this F18 but apparently not. But you may have to change to a stronger servo or change to the inner hole on the servo arm?

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    The slow down issue is another thing. I think for the F-18 the servos on flaps are just borderline powerful enough and at speed the forces are too much for the little servo. Also some set it up with more travel and there could be binding of the flap on the side of the fuselage.

    When I set up mine I moved the pushrod in on the servo for better mechanical advantage and have had no issues.

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    [QUOTE=Hugh Wiedman;n350901]As I've mentioned in the past, both of my F-18's have had issues with one flap (not always the same one) not deploying while in flight (works fine on the ground even with holding them to see if they stop). Guess I'm lucky, but had the same issue on my Avanti and both of my B-24's. With those, I reduced the speed to 1 second or less and have never had the problem again. On both F-18's, even at 0 seconds, it sometimes occurred and unlike with the Avanti or B-24, when one doesn't go down to landing flaps and the other does, it's a "Fire Drill" trying to keep it from spiraling while offsetting with Ail and flipping the flap switch back up! :hot_face: So with both, I bypassed the circuit board wiring the ailerons and flaps directly to the RX and finally replaced both flap servos on each (I suspect the 9 gr servo's just don't have enough guts when in the air, but who knows). The only issue was I did not like plugging and unplugging ail/flaps every time out, which ultimately wears the connector out, so I just found a really nice alternative.

    When building out my Extreme Flight FW 190, they use a multi wire servo plug for easy connection. Comes either for 3 servos or 2. So I put the 2 servo ones in each wing of both and now I'm happy as a clam. The side with the flange even fits nicely in the space where the ribbon connector was and mounts with 2 screws. The connection is much nicer than even the ribbon cables. If you have need of something like this, you can get them at Extreme Flight.
    /QUOTE]

    Hugh, great idea. I will be updating all the wiring in my 'bug' this winter. I just don't like my lighting layout either. There's got to be a neater and more efficient layout. Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Flying Toaster survives another Beach mission...

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    As I've mentioned in the past, both of my F-18's have had issues with one flap (not always the same one) not deploying while in flight (works fine on the ground even with holding them to see if they stop). Guess I'm lucky, but had the same issue on my Avanti and both of my B-24's. With those, I reduced the speed to 1 second or less and have never had the problem again. On both F-18's, even at 0 seconds, it sometimes occurred and unlike with the Avanti or B-24, when one doesn't go down to landing flaps and the other does, it's a "Fire Drill" trying to keep it from spiraling while offsetting with Ail and flipping the flap switch back up! :hot_face: So with both, I bypassed the circuit board wiring the ailerons and flaps directly to the RX and finally replaced both flap servos on each (I suspect the 9 gr servo's just don't have enough guts when in the air, but who knows). The only issue was I did not like plugging and unplugging ail/flaps every time out, which ultimately wears the connector out, so I just found a really nice alternative.

    When building out my Extreme Flight FW 190, they use a multi wire servo plug for easy connection. Comes either for 3 servos or 2. So I put the 2 servo ones in each wing of both and now I'm happy as a clam. The side with the flange even fits nicely in the space where the ribbon connector was and mounts with 2 screws. The connection is much nicer than even the ribbon cables. If you have need of something like this, you can get them at Extreme Flight.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220710_215648.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	350902Click image for larger version

Name:	20220710_220247.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	350903Click image for larger version

Name:	20220710_220429.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	350904

    Don't they look Happy! :hugging:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210701_175333.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	350905

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Gorgeous morning on the beach

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0535.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	350799Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0534.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	350798Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	350797Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	350796Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0541.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	350795

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee
    ID, Great addition to your BA Bug. The missile rails were an absolute requirement to this model, IMO. There were several designs floating around from both RCG and here early on. I, too, designed a rail but in 4-parts mostly to add some additional detail. The inner most NAV light part was my objective though mine does not light up like RCjetdude did to his Hornet. If you find those posts to his model, it is a masterpiece in both lighting and modification. He does great work. Best, LB
    Very nicely done LB! I printed mine in 2 pieces at first then figured out the ordnance attachment piece could be printed in place much easier. On my beloved EF Su30 I flew a few flights with full armaments but that 'Sokol' Aerobatic scheme would never fly with missiles so I made pylon rails looks way more scale 🤩

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9791.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	350239Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9805.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	350240Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9786.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	350241

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    ID, Great addition to your BA Bug. The missile rails were an absolute requirement to this model, IMO. There were several designs floating around from both RCG and here early on. I, too, designed a rail but in 4-parts mostly to add some additional detail. The inner most NAV light part was my objective though mine does not light up like RCjetdude did to his Hornet. If you find those posts to his model, it is a masterpiece in both lighting and modification. He does great work. Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee

    Never gets old, Brother. That's why you are the Southeast Group Commander, your attention to detail combined with all the fun toys. Best, LB
    Wow amazing work LB- Impressive!! I have the Prusa MK3 great printer, I put the $199 down on the hopefully soon to be released XL, saw the promo vid could not resist! I really needed a larger build area the XL was rumored to be 400x400x400 but the production XL came out at 360x360x360. I grabbed a Anycubic Kobra Max in the meantime- 450x400x400 perfect for my project, an Su30 same scale as the E-flite, also I designed floats for the Grand Tundra with built in retracts and LEDs. I made wingtip rails for this FW F-18 one piece in PETG-If any one needs wingtip rails LMK!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7013.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	349954Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7050.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	349955Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7012.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	349956Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7016-1.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	349957Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7015.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	349958Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7014.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	349959Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 8.43.48 AM.png
Views:	874
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	349960

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman

    LB's "unofficial" job is lead secret designer for the Skunk Works division. You should see his work on the 1600mm Corsair, complete with cockpit, moving canopy, functional cowl flaps and double wasp engine, just to name a few.

    The F18 cockpit is a work of Art! Unfortunately the files are now highly classified and have been removed from public access by the military to keep China from stealing them.

    I used the JHH 1/10 scale full body pilot in my F18 Canadian.

    Never miss an opportunity to show it off
    🤣

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200406_202903.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	349926


    Click image for larger version Name:	20200427_180045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.2 KB ID:	349922Click image for larger version Name:	20200406_203452.jpg Views:	0 Size:	214.6 KB ID:	349923
    Never gets old, Brother. That's why you are the Southeast Group Commander, your attention to detail combined with all the fun toys. Best, LB

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by InTheTubeDeep

    All good- btw did you 3D design print that cockpit?
    LB's "unofficial" job is lead secret designer for the Skunk Works division. You should see his work on the 1600mm Corsair, complete with cockpit, moving canopy, functional cowl flaps and double wasp engine, just to name a few.

    The F18 cockpit is a work of Art! Unfortunately the files are now highly classified and have been removed from public access by the military to keep China from stealing them.

    I used the JHH 1/10 scale full body pilot in my F18 Canadian.

    Never miss an opportunity to show it off
    🤣

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200406_202903.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	349926


    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200427_180045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.2 KB ID:	349922Click image for larger version  Name:	20200406_203452.jpg Views:	0 Size:	214.6 KB ID:	349923

    Leave a comment:


  • Elbee
    commented on 's reply
    For the Freewing F-18C, yes. The STL files are buried somewhere in this Official Thread. Like 10 sets or something. If I knew the post numbers, I'd tell you, but I don't. Probably easier to check the Prusa repository. It is called Prusa Printables I think, just search it there's only one. Search the User name: Stevie or Freewing I think works there. Best, LB

  • InTheTubeDeep
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee

    ITTD, this would have been enough; however, apology appreciated/accepted. Respectfully, LB
    All good- btw did you 3D design print that cockpit?

    Leave a comment:

Working...