P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • nuts-n-volts
    replied
    Slice, you would be wise to not fly it tomorrow or at any time with 3d printed horns. I'm looking out for you here. Horns are not just any kind of plastic and certainly not splinter prone 3d printed. This is your elevator we're talking about. That horn is the most important piece of the puzzle. I, for one, would never risk a high dollar aircraft on that. In fact, I am going to check my stock Freewing horns just because of your incident. Thanks for posting your problem and helping others.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slice1969
    replied
    The second one ended up failing as well in the same fashion. I heard back from MotionRC and they only sell them with the entire assembly, and do not know of any other similar horns that are available.

    I modeled and 3D printed it in PETG and it seems to be working well. We will see if I am brave enough to maiden it tomorrow.


    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    Now that's weird!

    :open_mouth:

    Leave a comment:


  • Slice1969
    replied
    I recently acquired this model from a friend, it was new and still in the box.

    I have been having some trouble with the control horns for the elevator/stabilator. I cracked one of them installing the control rod, and noticed the second one had a nick in the end. I applied a little bit of pressure, and it cracked completley.

    I order replacements from motionrc, which unfortunately only come in a complete kit. With shipping, it is almost $30.

    Both sides went on fine, and I am very careful when screwing in to plastic to not over tighten. They were not damaged when I installed them.

    When cycling the controls, I noticed one of the horns was wobbling, so I took it apart. I found the entire horn had shattered on the bottom, where it screws into the control rod.

    Does anyone know a 3rd parts solution, maybe out of aluminum to replace the freewing control horns for the elevator?

    I have sent an e-mail to motionrc to see if I can just get the control horns. I have a hard time justifying another $30 to get one. If not, I may try and engineer and 3d print one, but I would be a little bit nervous about that.

    Sorry for the blurry pic. There were several other smaller pieces too.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2991.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	329609Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2992.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	329610

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    Even if I swap out NFCU with another brand I just bind, calibrate and fly.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dougcarr73
    replied
    But honestly you need to review the manual or contact the manufacturer to get the preferred ESC timing for your motor. Then set your ESC accordingly. There's no "one size fits all" answer to this. I think all of my Freewing motors are set to medium, but it's never been a concern, because I'm using Freewing ESC with them all. As for my Eflite 90mm Viper, it has the timing set to high out of the box, but issues with the motor have quite a few adjusting their timing to low, or medium.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dougcarr73
    replied
    Just calibrate and full send!

    Leave a comment:


  • Evan D
    replied
    I never mess with settings…

    Leave a comment:


  • Cape Jets
    replied
    Need some guidance on ESC settings for my jets. All my jets have Freewing 130amp or 150amp ESC's. I also use on all my jets the Freewing 90mm 12 Blade 1835kv EDF. (Hughs favorite EDF)
    I just got the Hobbywing ESC Program card to set-up my ESC's. Listening to the beeps drove me crazy and if you miss one step your screwed..... So the question is what do you guys set for your jet esc's ?
    Brake I know is OFF, Lipo Batt , Soft Cut on EDF, Voltage Cut Off-Low, Start mode-Normal, Timing is the big question? Most things I see is all EDF's get set to Low on timing.....
    So I'm throwing it out there to see what you guys set for your jets.... Thx

    Leave a comment:


  • Cape Jets
    replied
    Originally posted by yamr663304
    Hi guys...great forum! I have been following this thread for quite some time and have actually looked over all 259 pages over time. I now have 7 flights on my BA F18C and I'm experiencing the same flap problem as described on several posts in the thread. Started having asymmetrical flap deployment or half flap deployment when I had selected full flaps on the transmitter. I bypassed the blue box for everything except landing gear and lights as others have posted. I also eliminated any slow movement of the flap servos (they are full speed and deploy immediately on the ground). Test flew again yesterday and first flight seemed fine...flaps worked as intended...nice flight and landing. Next flight was a different story. I deployed half flaps on downwind after slowing the airplane down a bit and extending the landing gear with no noticeable problem. When I selected full flaps, the airplane rolled over almost on it's back. Luckily I was able to retract the flaps and save it but the landing was less than stellar with calm conditions and zero flaps. Two go arounds resulted in an almost dead battery on the last approach so I had no choice but to set it down...pretty hard. Broke the white strut on the nose landing gear but otherwise no damage.

    Now to my questions...I know I have seen reference to what servos some folks are using to replace the flap servos but I can't seem to locate that post now. Can someone please recommend a drop in replacement servo with more power for the flaps?

    Also, I don't remember what the white plastic strut on the nose gear looked like before but mine is now in two pieces. I don't know if it just broke cleanly in the middle or if it was originally two pieces held together by some other piece that I'm now missing. Is it supposed to be one piece and are some guys reinforcing it somehow?

    Sorry for the long post and thanks very much in advance!
    Seems the Flap issue keeps coming up with the F-18..... Based on that I am always on the side of preventive vs reactive.... So I have upgraded my F-18 flap servos to the Hitec- HS-5065MG. They provide the torque required and they are as smooth as butter..... You can find cheaper servos, but you get what you pay for so beware of saving a few bucks and replacing a plane. Just my thoughts.

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    That white-orange striped scheme looks really well, I like it! :D

    With the Hornet it's not just about the livery, but also the fact it is slightly smaller than similar jets and usually gets away faster, so it's easier to lose sight and orientation than with most. It even has affected me several times, and I am not one to suffer much from orientation problems, even with fully-grey camo birds!

    Originally posted by Polyphren
    @ Jandro: Very nice pictures. I followed your advice and activated the flight stabilization. The bird has a much better handling now. But it‘s still challenging compared to the F22.
    - Eric
    Yep, I agree the F-18 is a challenging bird, even with stabilization. I'd say all my other jets are easier to handle by a wide margin! ;)
    But then the Hornet does knife edge so much better than all the rest... and it can still pull a cobra! It's cool how each of these jets is its own world with very characteristic traits that are particular to each and their designs. I find it fascinating!

    Leave a comment:


  • Polyphren
    replied
    The digital camo scheme works impressingly well in a cloudy sky. I nearly lost orientation after an unexpected stall and the following downward spiral. Due to better pose recognition I decided to add white and neon stripes to the back side. I‘m looking forward to the next flight in a cloudy evening sky.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	9313882C-89D3-4296-8469-477B641BED3A.jpeg
Views:	610
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	328464

    Leave a comment:


  • yamr663304
    replied
    Hi Polyphren. Yes, that's the strut I'm talking about. Thanks very much for the input...I like your idea of using a piece of carbon fiber in the channel of that strut.

    Leave a comment:


  • Polyphren
    replied
    @ Jandro: Very nice pictures. I followed your advice and activated the flight stabilization. The bird has a much better handling now. But it‘s still challenging compared to the F22.
    - Eric

    Leave a comment:


  • Polyphren
    replied
    Hi yamr663304, I assume you‘re talking about this plastic strut. Mine broke, too. I fixed it with a thin carbon bar inside and epoxy glue.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FE609100-DB98-4C68-A359-2E3276ADEDF9.jpeg
Views:	577
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	328460

    Leave a comment:


  • yamr663304
    replied
    Thanks for the reply Airguardian! Servos are not stalled in the up position and I had previously moved the pushrod down on the servo arm. I believe these stock servos are just marginally capable of handling the loads of these flaps. Thanks for the info on the nose gear strut and servo recommendations. I'll be replacing the servos and post results.

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    Originally posted by yamr663304
    I'm experiencing the same flap problem as described on several posts in the thread. Started having asymmetrical flap deployment or half flap deployment when I had selected full flaps on the transmitter.
    Did you make sure that when your flaps are retracted the servos are not under any kind of load or struggling?
    That could cause them to overheat and lack torque later on when required.
    The flaps need to close flush and lined with the airfoil but not tight. If the servos are holding it closed by doing force, this will wear them down fast.

    Also, did you move the linkage one extra hole in on the servo arm to improve mechanical advantage?

    In any case, I'd likely replace the flap servos if I were you. I have not replaced mine, but mine haven't failed (yet).
    (...and cross fingers it stays like that).

    Originally posted by yamr663304
    Broke the white strut on the nose landing gear but otherwise no damage. [...]
    Also, I don't remember what the white plastic strut on the nose gear looked like before but mine is now in two pieces. I don't know if it just broke cleanly in the middle or if it was originally two pieces held together by some other piece that I'm now missing. Is it supposed to be one piece and are some guys reinforcing it somehow?
    The cosmetic 'supporting white brace' comes as one piece but easily snaps in two on hard landings.
    I repair mine with a wooden skewer stick fit on the inside and contact glue.

    Originally posted by yamr663304
    Now to my questions...I know I have seen reference to what servos some folks are using to replace the flap servos but I can't seem to locate that post now. Can someone please recommend a drop in replacement servo with more power for the flaps?
    Corona DS-939MG should be perfect for the role.


    Leave a comment:


  • yamr663304
    replied
    Hi guys...great forum! I have been following this thread for quite some time and have actually looked over all 259 pages over time. I now have 7 flights on my BA F18C and I'm experiencing the same flap problem as described on several posts in the thread. Started having asymmetrical flap deployment or half flap deployment when I had selected full flaps on the transmitter. I bypassed the blue box for everything except landing gear and lights as others have posted. I also eliminated any slow movement of the flap servos (they are full speed and deploy immediately on the ground). Test flew again yesterday and first flight seemed fine...flaps worked as intended...nice flight and landing. Next flight was a different story. I deployed half flaps on downwind after slowing the airplane down a bit and extending the landing gear with no noticeable problem. When I selected full flaps, the airplane rolled over almost on it's back. Luckily I was able to retract the flaps and save it but the landing was less than stellar with calm conditions and zero flaps. Two go arounds resulted in an almost dead battery on the last approach so I had no choice but to set it down...pretty hard. Broke the white strut on the nose landing gear but otherwise no damage.

    Now to my questions...I know I have seen reference to what servos some folks are using to replace the flap servos but I can't seem to locate that post now. Can someone please recommend a drop in replacement servo with more power for the flaps?

    Also, I don't remember what the white plastic strut on the nose gear looked like before but mine is now in two pieces. I don't know if it just broke cleanly in the middle or if it was originally two pieces held together by some other piece that I'm now missing. Is it supposed to be one piece and are some guys reinforcing it somehow?

    Sorry for the long post and thanks very much in advance!

    Leave a comment:


  • Hollywood 001
    replied
    James I like the 115 decals !

    Leave a comment:


  • Airguardian
    replied
    Prom queen!

    Leave a comment:

Working...