X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Roban 120mm A-10 Warthog V2 EDF Jet Thread

This is the official thread to discuss the Roban 120mm A-10 Warthog EDF Jet. Product page: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...mm-edf-jet-arf

A-10 Warthog Arctic Camo 120mm EDF Jet from Roban - Composite ARF - RBN-A10SC

Version Info:
    This is the V2 version of the Roban A-10 Thunderbolt II. The V2 addresses known issues from the V1 version such as gear and wing strength. This V2 now comes with a steel landing gear pin and improved wing design and construction for higher strength and durability.

Roban isn't just known for outstanding quality, scale helicopters. They also manufacturer impressive airplanes with the same level of scale detail, quality and precision you can count on.

The tradition continues with the impressive Roban A-10 Warthog. This 82" wingspan A-10 is a full composite construction model ARF which comes with electric retracts, scale oleo struts and wheels. The highly detailed cockpit is lighted and ready to install. Scale details include raised rivets and recessed panel lines complete the striking scale appeal of this A-10.

The front of the fuselage is removable for easy access to your chosen batteries. The bomb bay door section is removable and can be made operational with slight modifications. The Roban A-10 Warthog is impressive and ready to impress at your local flying field!

FEATURES:
    • NEW! V2 landing gear (scale oleo struts, aluminum/rubber wheels and included electric retracts)
    • NEW! V2 Improved wing design and construction for higher strength and durability
    • NEW! V2 Improved landing gear steel pin (no longer aluminum)
    • Full composite construction with highly detailed surfaces
    • Scale details such as raised rivets and recessed panel lines
    • Highly detailed lighted cockpit that is assembled and ready for install
    • Painted livery in the Arctic Aggressor scheme
    • The bomb bay door section is removable and can be made operational with slight modification
    • Removable front for easy access to batteries
    • Painted and ready to assemble
    INCLUDES:
    • Roban A-10 Warthog V2 Arctic Camo 120mm EDF Jet - ARF
    • V2 Scale aluminum/rubber wheels
    • V2 Scale oleo struts
    • V2 Electric retracts
    REQUIRES:PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:

AGE LEVEL : 18 AND UP
    SKILL LEVEL : ADVANCED
    BUILD TIME : 6+ HOURS
    Model Scale 1/8.5
    Wingspan 2060mm / 81.1in
    Length 1905mm / 75in
    Weight 11000g / 388.01oz
    CG (Center of Gravity) 95.25mm (3.75in) From leading edge at the wing root
    Power System 2x 12S Brushless Inrunner (required)
    Electronic Speed Control 2x 120A (required)
    Propeller / EDF 2x 120mm EDF (required)
    Servos 9x 40g metal gear standard (required)
    Landing Gear Electric retractable tri-gear (included)
    Required Battery 4x 6 Cell 22.2V 4000 - 6000mAh LiPo batteries (required)
    Required Radio 6+ Channel (required)
    Ailerons Yes
    Elevator Yes
    Rudder Yes
    Flaps Yes
    Lights Yes
    Hinge Type Nylon
    Material Composite
    Skill Level Advanced/Expert
    Build Time 6+ Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoors
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Here's the manual:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...banA101_v2.pdf
    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I've eyeballed this bad girl for a looooong time! Anxious to see what folks have planned for this beast!
      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Grey version:

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...mm-edf-jet-arf
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Hi Aros, can you let us know if there are any new improvements or upgrades for this latest release?...Thanks

Comment

Holy moly! This is awesome to see composite jets being offered now as well. I hope to see that continue to expand in the future.

Comment

Any known abnormalities in its design causing unwanted pitch changes during throttle alterations?

Comment

Originally posted by fastphil View Post
                Hi Aros, can you let us know if there are any new improvements or upgrades for this latest release?...Thanks
                Same concern. Is it an updated release or just a re-release of the same design from 5 years ago??
                It has been well documented that this had some structural issues when distributed by RC Aerodyne @ Scaleflying.com(They dropped it and took up HSD jets)
                I was going to go for one after I lost my FW version to TIA 2+ years ago but put the binders on this when the deep dive on truths started showing up.
                Engine pods were designed for ChangeSun 120 EDF's and were very difficult to mod for more reputable/reliable fans.
                Wing structure issues were also concerns.

This would be an absolute if my concerns about prior issues can be alleviated

ps...….. the battery requirement is understated by half in the product required section.
                It is going to require 2 4000-6000mAh 6S in series(12S) for each EDF for a total of 4 6S packs ( 2 serial packs)
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                  So I believe this just answered my question from the prior post.
                  It is the same manual that I downloaded two years ago other than the front page now has motionrc.com listed on it.
                  Rel 1.0 - Jan 2016
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Sorry fellas I don't have any answers to this version outside of the upgraded V2 landing gear. I downloaded the manual straight from Roban's website so unless they have updated their manual and forgot to add it to their site, that's the current manual.
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                      ps...….. the battery requirement is understated by half in the product required section.
                      It is going to require 2 4000-6000mAh 6S in series(12S) for each EDF for a total of 4 6S packs ( 2 serial packs)
                      Good catch. Updated. Thanks.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

All, I believe this is the same version as previously sold by RC Aerodyne. I built the B-25 previously and am Re-building it again (lost Rx power during end of maiden, ouch).

Now I also have this A-10 with the v2, reinforced, landing gear, so thought I would start the build and do a build thread here in stead of on RCGroups. James B has encouraged me to do so and to do it near stock so will start with posting a couple of pictures from the unboxing. Look forward to any suggestions and will do my best to capture a good part of the build.

Since it has some similarities to the B-25 from Roban, I hope to share some of the techniques I learned there.

Comment

PeterGRC Welcome to Hobby Squawk and thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and build with us! I look forward to both!
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

What's up with the bomb bay in the specs? A10s don't have bomb bays bays right?

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
                              I’m pretty sure that’s a leftover from copying and editing the B-25 manual to get an A-10 manual. It continues in the A-10 manual. The decal picture shows the B-25 Decals and states that you need 2x 6S – 500KV 4020 type motors.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
                                Correct and the A-10 (model or full-scale) doesn't have a bomb bay.

I'm interested to hear if the V2 gear solved the gear issues mine had.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR9VfuAWUgo Oh God. This aircraft is on my blacklist....

Comment

A lot of $ for an foamie that has structural problems, CA hinges, Aluminum wing tubes, No engines or ESC's, ect.......Read the completion manual.....Old Construction techniques all the way....about 10 years old in my opinion....Wouldn't touch this one with a 10' pole....
                                    Sorry ....have "Build" not "Assembled" a ton of RC airplanes over 40 years and I call em as I see em.

Comment

Tom, much more complex than the foamies. I love foamies for quick assembly and just flying fun. Can’t be beat a lot of times. With you on that.

I built my first planes back in 1988/89. Learned by just following the instructions, blue prints and ‘figuring’ it out. Lot to be said for using the internet now and you tube.

Yes this model will take some time. Based on my B-25 build, which took a year, but that included learning to airbrush (see attached), well worth the effort. BTW, most construction techniques for building balsa are old school, so not sure where you come from. The skin is of course not what was done in the tissue paper and dope days (tried that as a kid, I sucked at it). Also, my largest problems for the B-25 was working with a buddy across the US to 3D print bombs and custom make the first tri-level bomb rack for 10 bombs to pickle away. What did we as a group learn? The nose gear was not up to it for grass fields.

That is why the v2 gear is shipped now (I got both the v1 and v2 gear with mine). Better. Not sure yet of best but finding an alternative is really hard.

SO this is more of a builder’s aircraft and understand if you are not up to it. Keep assembling and flying (I will too) as that is a blast. But I have re-learned the fun in building and solving challenges. Really lets me solve work problems while thinking on something else. What I call relaxing.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by PeterGRC; Apr 5, 2020, 09:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to add pics

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                        PeterGRC Welcome to Hobby Squawk and thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and build with us! I look forward to both!
                                        Thanks Aeros. I think you and I exchanged notes on a VQ P-38 in another forum. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X