Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks aros I hope she stays that way...this is the by far most expensive build ..i made sure I put the best spektrum and booma rc had to offer ...and really paid attention to the structure and reinforced everything with carbon fiber ..the v1 is really bad if u start looking .....the skin is delaminated from the factory around the spar ..i can see why they where blowing apart..and they have only 1 former from the wing all the way to the tail..crazy so I added carbon tube and installed more formers to stiffen it up....i saw alot of comment on the post about that Dave guy and him not flying it scale...it had nothing to do with that and everything to do with the airframe itself...if look at the bvm and xtreme a10s they put those things through hell...so a good quality airframe like that will hold up...i hope everyone that is building this roban really pays attention and inspects everything and definitely add more former and then add some horizontal carbon tube...if you haven't go ahead and do it and be safe ...

Comment

• o and gman you should just sell it to me and go get the xtreme a-10 ...haha

Comment

• And its looking like Sunday fellas ...i will be posting a vid good or bad ..as long as the rain stays away and its 10mph and under its a gooooo

Comment

• Can’t wait for the flight report

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20200927_151610.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	277112 So Click image for larger version

Name:	20200927_151614.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	277111 the maiden went horrible the cheap change sun fan exploded on my run up...fellas do not use those fans take the motors out and get new fans please i shouldve listened to all the horror stories...they are true for sure...at least I had a bunch of good taxi tests and she is straight and true and wants to leave the runway....so I'd like to keep the motors cause they are strong...what 120mm fans should i get that will work with the skorpion motors
            Attached Files

Comment

• or should I just get jp hobby 120mm fans....

Comment

• Hey Reeper
                Call Gary at Eflux RC. He will set you up with the right fan!
                My plan was to use the Schubeler fan and Gary’s recommended motors
                I had no idea you were using those plastic fans. It’s pretty common for them to blow-up.
                i’m sorry things didn’t work out! I am confident that you will get it together!

Comment

• Thank man ..i will im really leaning toward the aluminum jp hobbys

Comment

• Can someone share pics of the wood work they had to do to get the jp fans in

Comment

• It's been a minute since I've been on. Hope everyone is well. Not much progress on my build, a little wiring and my two jetfan 120's mounted in the nacelles. Just fit the housings. There boxed up ready to send to Matt at Fan Jets USA to have them built and balanced. This is my first edf, im not taking a chance. I'm about to try to get going again on my build, I'm ready to see this bird fly. Reaper you did a very nice job on yours, too bad about the fans. It's a great looking bird. How much longer do you think before you get another shot at the maiden?

Comment

• Originally posted by Reeper38 View Post
                        Thanks aros I hope she stays that way...this is the by far most expensive build ..i made sure I put the best spektrum and booma rc had to offer ...and really paid attention to the structure and reinforced everything with carbon fiber ..the v1 is really bad if u start looking .....the skin is delaminated from the factory around the spar ..i can see why they where blowing apart..and they have only 1 former from the wing all the way to the tail..crazy so I added carbon tube and installed more formers to stiffen it up....i saw alot of comment on the post about that Dave guy and him not flying it scale...it had nothing to do with that and everything to do with the airframe itself...if look at the bvm and xtreme a10s they put those things through hell...so a good quality airframe like that will hold up...i hope everyone that is building this roban really pays attention and inspects everything and definitely add more former and then add some horizontal carbon tube...if you haven't go ahead and do it and be safe ...

I hear what you are saying Reaper about him not flying it scale, I agree about what you said about the skymaster and bvm's. But what I'm saying is this airframe isn't built like those. Built stock it will fly just fine if do fly it scale like. I know of several that fly on a regular basis. You and I are on the same page, I'm doing everything I can to beef up the airframe so I can rip up the sky. I've owned a couple BVM Jets back in the nitro days,
                        ​days and they were built way better than than this Roban model even back then. Roban had a good plan, it was just poorly executed.

Comment

• One other thing I wanted to mention. I had talked about permanently mounting the nacelles and glassing them in so it looks like one piece but I got that idea when I unboxed it and put it together for the first and only time. When it's just solid grey it sticks out like a sore thumb and looks like a giant foamie to me. But it's hardly noticable on Reaper's with all the weathering and decals. I'm having second thoughts about my plan. May just bolt em on.

Comment

• Jink i hear ya i just saw a skymaster yesterday for the first time in person a guy i met that live about 2 miles away from me has the 1/5 f-86 for sale for 3,000 and its unbelievable how well built it is holy crap im definitely going to purchase it ...as far as my a-10 i finished the repairs to the nacelles and got the first motor installed ..im waiting for Gary to finish the other one hes waiting for the shipment of fans so hopefully I can recieve the other motor next week if not it will be 2 more weeks before I get to maiden this bird Click image for larger version

Name:	25283.jpeg
Views:	543
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	280696Click image for larger version

Name:	25282.jpeg
Views:	521
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	280697

Comment

• Here are some pics of the nacelles Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_080126.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	280699Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_080121.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	280700Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_080257.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	280701Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_080114.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	280702Click image for larger version

Name:	20201009_180705.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	280703

Comment

• Hey Reaper,
                                You did end up going with Gary at Eflux?
                                Good move if you did!
                                what did you get?

Comment

• I'm just leaving the thrust tubes clear until I maiden it ..theres no sense in putting more time if I crash it..haha.if she makes it ill make custom carbon thrust tubes and repaint the repairs to the nacelles and I will put the time to make the canopy operational w/pilot

Comment

• Jink it is nice being able to remove the whole engine pod..it would be a pain in the but if I had glassed em on ..if u reinforce the structure under the pods in the fuse there will be no problem...also put bigger stainless washers on everything especially the wing connect point the little washers that come with it are junk ...I dremmeled the holes bigger and put big washers to cover more area .for the wings .

Comment

• Originally posted by Reeper38 View Post
                                      Jink it is nice being able to remove the whole engine pod..it would be a pain in the but if I had glassed em on ..if u reinforce the structure under the pods in the fuse there will be no problem...also put bigger stainless washers on everything especially the wing connect point the little washers that come with it are junk ...I dremmeled the holes bigger and put big washers to cover more area .for the wings .

Reaper, if I were you I would really consider filling the center section with expanding foam. If you look at the RCgroups thread on this bird you will find a post where the guys center section started to delaminate so he opened it up and the only thing holding the wing to the fuse is a plywood plate about 2 in wide and about 8 in long glued to the inside of outer wing skin. So any stress put on the wing mount is directly pulling on the wing skin itself. With the expanding foam added it will help hold everything together and will help disperse the pressure put on the wing skin. The post is near the end. I don't remember exactly where but last time I looked it was within the last 15 pages or so. I had one guy telling me that it was a terrible idea that it was going to be too heavy. I sprayed a whole can onto a piece of cardboard and was surprisingly light. It's not going to take nowhere near a whole can. Also had a guy tell me I was going to blow my wing apart with it so I did another experiment. I slapped together a little balsa structure to sort of imitate the wing structure and all the foam does is compress itself and get harder which is what you want. It didn't distort the structure at all and it was just balsa, it wasn't even glassed. And also, Reaper, could you post some pics of your fuse reinforcements when you get a chance. The only thing I've done so far on mine was glassing the inside of the joint of the two halves. I hadn't planned on doing anything else but going over the glue joints, which I've done. Thanks. And good luck on your next maiden attempt. I'm pulling for ya
                                      ​​​​​​

Comment

• I can't open my a PM's. Is anyone else having that problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by jinkrat4791 View Post
                                          I can't open my a PM's. Is anyone else having that problem.
                                          Nevermind, It was my phone

Comment

Working...
                                          X