Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you read the last couple pages of this thread you will be able to see what needs to be done to strengthen the wing. Good luck and welcome!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Yes absolutely there is absolutely no difference inside the v1 and v2 wings and fuse...just follow my 2nd build ill be posting all pics and tips also skytrak and jinx will be doing the same ...you need to open the top of the entire wing mid section and ends ..the leading and trailing edges need to be glassed.1 layer or 1 oz would be good and thikend epoxy in all fillers of the wing ribs

Comment

• I'm strengthening the centre without cutting open the whole wing section, there are a lot of pieces of internal woodwork not glued to the wing skin, and the glue is not the best anyway!
        By using epoxy glue gun with 150mm nozzle I've been able to reach almost every part inside to add proper glue via the middle section I cut out, and the other holes, already I can tell it's much stronger.
        Also made a spar with two 10mm carbon tubes and 1/8 ply to go into the front D section as well as a 20mm od tube through the middle.
        the trailing edge where the flaps are can also be strenghened from outside with epoxy resin and fibreglass cloth.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20201118_192103.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	286778

Comment

• Motion now have the kit listed half price at $799 on their website, obviously end of the line unless Roban release a Mk3!
          Even though extra work is required on the wing/fuselage and landing gear it’s a good model at that price, if only l’d waited 6 months 🙄

I’ve wanted a good size A10 ever since I filmed the daddy of all A10 models some years ago -

Even this gen4 Mibo A10 had retract problems with air pushing the front strut, now cured with strong electric retracts apparently. Good slow motion at the end!

Comment

• It used to be the daddy til mibo came out with the grande 1/4 scale 40k afr ...one day she'll be mine haha .here is the progress of the wing canter section spar and retract structure repairs Click image for larger version

Name:	20201120_080024.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	286900

Comment

• Here’s a thrust quandary.....
              Is the Roban vastly overpowered with 15kg thrust (2x jetfan pro HET 800-73-590 running 12s)?
              quite a few have been built with this combination.
              I found a Mibo flying on 2x Kingtech k85’s!!!

Comment

• My additions to the centre section have added 400g, weight before starting was 687g ........ may have used too much glue on all internal parts, It is considerably stronger now though!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201125_193423.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.8 KB ID:	287759
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20201125_193511.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.5 KB ID:	287760 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201122_123336.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	287768

Comment

• Is anyone eles upset with Motion RC who bought the Roban A 10 few months ago. I thought very highly of RC Motion until i got ctushed. I have bought 700 helis, The A 10 an when had recommended equipment bought from RC Motion, But now i feel like i got kicked, a few months after I Paid 1899. For this aorplane its been cut to 699. I know things go om sale an realize that but its been 699. A while now, and I understand if it was 100. Or even up to few hundred off but this is HALF the price i paid!!! I only opened my box to check make sure no damage i haved un wraped or worked on it yet. If i would looked sooner I would have returned it and thr month later Buy it agsin. But im also not dis honest. I neen purchasing my stuff now outdide the Motion RC not sure if ill buy from there again.

Comment

• Correction I bought not Who bought...tupo

Comment

• It is disappointing when you pay full price as I also did, to find massive discount a few months later...... on top of that price I also paid extra 20% import and shipping to UK ☹
                      If I could get one delivered free at $699 to UK I would buy another for spares!!!

Comment

• Well, I got my ESC's today. I went with two HET Zues 120 amp controllers. I think they are pretty new to the market, anybody have any experience with them. Now the only thing I have to buy is the 13 lbs of lipos to run the thing. I don't know a great deal about the batteries. Anybody have any recommendations, im looking for a happy medium between quality and economy.

Comment

• I’ve looked at a lot of batteries, to keep weight down I’ll probably use 5000mah packs, Admiral 6s 5000mah from Motion @732g are high on my list, 6000mah @844g although both quite expensive.
                          HRB 5000mah @753g are much cheaper, have some good reviews too. Graphene packs are probably too heavy, Turnigy Panther 6s 5000mah @920g ...... nice but almost 800g heavier for 4 packs so a no for me!
                          From what I’ve read, advertised C ratings are a fictitious figure on most batteries, I have a good charger that displays internal resistance (lower is a better C rating) but readings vary considerably even with same type batteries so doesn’t really tell me anything!
                          Cheaper brands tend to be heavier for same capacity.

Anyone else got any preferences?

Comment

• Skytrak i can attest to hrbs they are great and I use them in everything also amazon has 6s 5000s for a pair at $130 ...u get 2 for the price of 1 I have 4 sets for the roban so its only 260 for 4 needed per flight ...also your mods will definitely hold up whats the center section weight...id like to compare..I only added 1 18mm all the way through and just got it sealed up and painted back with air lines and servo wires in Click image for larger version

Name:	20201206_115448.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	289154Click image for larger version

Name:	20201206_115435.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	289155

Comment

• Thanks for the info guys, I was leaning towards the HRB's, I've never used them but I read the reviews and most are good. Thanks r the weights skytrak you answered a question I was gonna ask next if anyone had some. Im re-thinking my elevator servo setup. I'm thinking about buying two more servos to drive each elevator half. I stress tested the stock setup with two pair of channel locks and it seems fine but im starting to worry about it failing over time, Reaper, when you get a chance can you post a pic of how you set yours up, i remember you saying you separated the two halves on separate servos. Thanks again guys

Comment

• My centre section now weighs 1087g additional parts were 260g and 3× 50g tubes of epoxy, One tube was wasted really as I used it with a long stick before I cut the centre open, most of that didnt go where i wanted it to.

So I've added about 400g, could have done similar at 300g if I'd lightened the ply some more and used less glue!

Comment

• Reaper, are u going to fill the center section with foam or do you think it's unnecessary with the mods you've done, im still going to fill mine in the center at least 2 inches each side past the wing saddle area. And I've decided to bite the bullet and open the top like you did yours and fur out the main spar and add triangle stock to the ribs on each side. I want to keep it light as possible but im not sweating the AUW because the skymaster is only slightly bigger and I've seen one fly just fine as an EDF at 42 lbs on a 14s setup

Comment

• Reaper, im sitting here looking at my center section, I see how you cut yours, the question i have for you is after you cut yours how hard was it to remove the skin. Unfortunately mine appears to be glued fairly well, im afraid im going to tear it up trying to remove it. I may go back to my original plan of opening the bottom like skytrak but I want to beef up the LG mounts as well and it would be much easier from the top. Every time I sit down to work on this I wish I would have bought a skymaster but I know this is going to be a great airplane and I really like the 3 piece wing so I can move it around and sit it on its gear with the wings removed

Comment

• As far as the unskinning it was too easy to peel off the ribs...just be careful..and that's the only reason I went through the top was to beef up the gear mounts ...if it took a hard landing the would push through easy or I would have done it like skytrak..just measure 3/4" off the panel lines and cut them things...just dont cut thru the ribs....its real easy to get the skin off...go back to my pic and look over the gear...I used the cut offs from the 20mm carbon tube too put those short tubes thru with another former down the middle off the gear mount in-between the blind nuts...it my look a lil off center but my blind nuts moved cuz im young the air gear from robart

Comment

• Yeah and I wouldn't even consider comparing the auw whit the skymaster ...non of them are actually scale and the wing area is alot bigger on the skymaster as in over scale I think to get a lower wing load...the roban is already high as hell at 30-32 lbs.id say it would definitely still fly good at 32-35lbs with good fans hell i was getting 32lbs of thrust with those ****ty change suns and 36lbs with jetfan pros..its more than neede...haha

Comment

• And no the foam isn't needed ..this thing isn't going anywhere...haha u can definitely feel the difference and im pretty sure skytrak can attest the foam will be unnecessary weight i i promise ya you don't need it..im cutting the wing tips next and gunna glass and reinforce those also...im not taking a chance... Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_132817.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	289343

Comment

Working...
                                          X