Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xviper
    replied
    Just finished installing the VT nozzle and setting it up in the TX. The actual butt end swap took 15 minutes. Hooked up the ELE servo to AUX2 and mixed it. The rudder servo is just "Y'd" to the rudder channel. No reverser was necessary. As mentioned before, the color of the VT section doesn't match the color of the fuse it grafts onto. The nozzle is much lighter in color. Doesn't bother me but for some, this will be very irritating. It won't see any air time till spring, unless the dreaded climate change warms everything up and clears the runways.

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied
    Originally posted by SanExup View Post
    Having replicated things for my work, I know proportions and dimensions can be tough. Especially when working with limited resource, like not having the true dimensions. I actually reproduced the aft end of a JDAM to true scale on a wood lathe for a subcontractor doing some systems design and development for the navy. The navy liaison actually called to find out where the heck we got the JDAM tail section. Anyway, I was using photos and scaling it up with known dimensions of other objects in the photos. The object was to impress the navy so the company that hired me didn't want to ask for dimensions. I ramble, I apologize. Maybe it's more interesting than bickering but who knows.

I wish I had a 3d printer, it is in my future for sure..To be able to produce scale objects for planes seems very fun and rewarding.
    Here are a couple of photos that maybe will help see the proportions. Different angles and lighting helps. With the IRIS it's hard to see the fins when the missile is mounted with the fins at a 45. I've been trying to find a view of it with the fins in the vertical position. But no luck, I hope this helps. Thanks kallend I know once I dive into purchasing and using a 3d printer the existing designs out there will be much appreciated, just saying thanks in advance.
    Thanks. I finally got a good dimension for the long lateral fins. The narrow chord ones at the tail are still a bit of a guess. Updated the Thingi files.

Leave a comment:

• HockeyMac!
    replied
    I'll be doing some pylons now that the tanks are on the printer. I have a great side view drawing of them, does anyone have a good front/bottom view?

The drawing I do have does include the meteor rail we see on the pylons too so I'll be working on that as well.

Leave a comment:

• SanExup
    replied
    Having replicated things for my work, I know proportions and dimensions can be tough. Especially when working with limited resource, like not having the true dimensions. I actually reproduced the aft end of a JDAM to true scale on a wood lathe for a subcontractor doing some systems design and development for the navy. The navy liaison actually called to find out where the heck we got the JDAM tail section. Anyway, I was using photos and scaling it up with known dimensions of other objects in the photos. The object was to impress the navy so the company that hired me didn't want to ask for dimensions. I ramble, I apologize. Maybe it's more interesting than bickering but who knows.

I wish I had a 3d printer, it is in my future for sure..To be able to produce scale objects for planes seems very fun and rewarding.
    Here are a couple of photos that maybe will help see the proportions. Different angles and lighting helps. With the IRIS it's hard to see the fins when the missile is mounted with the fins at a 45. I've been trying to find a view of it with the fins in the vertical position. But no luck, I hope this helps. Thanks kallend I know once I dive into purchasing and using a 3d printer the existing designs out there will be much appreciated, just saying thanks in advance. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageHandler-20-1 (1).jpg
Views:	623
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	292996Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1056 IRIS-T missile right front seeker head l.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	292997Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1034 IRIS-T missile left front l.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	292998

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied
    Originally posted by janmb View Post

Instead of bitching and sounding ungrateful, I'll go make my own. No worries.

The body diameter is according to what you wrote above, so that means the issue is the vanes (and possibly also fins) protruding a bit too much.
    Quite likely - I couldn't find a 3-view or definitive dimensions for the vanes so I guesstimated.

Try now! (Pretty easy to clip them off with an STL editor if you still think they're too long.)

Leave a comment:

• janmb
    replied
    Originally posted by kallend View Post

According to Wikipedia the diameter of the IRIS-T body is 127mm. At 1:9 scale that makes 14.1.mm for the model, which is what I made it.

Thingi is having problems. Try re-loading, you may have a cached version.
    Instead of bitching and sounding ungrateful, I'll go make my own. No worries.

The body diameter is according to what you wrote above, so that means the issue is the vanes (and possibly also fins) protruding a bit too much.

Leave a comment:

• janmb
    replied
    Proper nouns that are pronounced differently in English than in the country of origin: Paris, Germany, France, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Rome, Naples, Mexico, The Hague, China, Japan, Athens, Greece, Venice, Orleans, Ypres . . . .
    Translating proper nouns should qualify for death sentence.

Regardless, that's not what's being discussed here. In this case, it is a matter of a noun not being translated or deliberately pronounced in any English "version". It is a matter of people just not knowing better. Which is perfectly fine in the first place, but willingness to learn should be expected.

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied

If someone helping others do things right bothers you so much, then yes, ignore is exactly what you should do. It is a bit cute observing that you somehow seem to think this is something that I should fear / worry about / dislike though.
    Proper nouns that are pronounced differently in English than in the country of origin: Paris, Germany, France, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Rome, Naples, Mexico, The Hague, China, Japan, Athens, Greece, Venice, Orleans, Ypres . . . .

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied

Awesome!

Sure you uploaded the changed version on thingi? Re-downloaded now and seems unchanged.
    According to Wikipedia the diameter of the IRIS-T body is 127mm. At 1:9 scale that makes 14.1.mm for the model, which is what I made it.

Thingi is having problems. Try re-loading, you may have a cached version.

Leave a comment:

• janmb
    replied
    Originally posted by xviper View Post
    Only in YOUR limited mind does this seem to be the case.
    I've posted up a link showing how different people pronounce it and even the Swedes pronounce it in different ways. I've watched for months how you and others fight with one another and throughout it all, it's been YOU, who have been the worst perpetrator. It's just not worth reading your garbage any further. I guess it's time for another to go on the IGNORE list. GOOD BYE!
    If someone helping others do things right bothers you so much, then yes, ignore is exactly what you should do. It is a bit cute observing that you somehow seem to think this is something that I should fear / worry about / dislike though.

Leave a comment:

• HockeyMac!
    replied
    Here are some Gripen drop tanks!

1/9 scale Gripen drop tanks with lug attachment. Adjust your printer settings for desired infill etc.

Leave a comment:

• xviper
    replied
    Well, I guess if it is a life goal of yours to avoid pronouncing every foreign word incorrectly, then sure.
    Only in YOUR limited mind does this seem to be the case.
    I've posted up a link showing how different people pronounce it and even the Swedes pronounce it in different ways. I've watched for months how you and others fight with one another and throughout it all, it's been YOU, who have been the worst perpetrator. It's just not worth reading your garbage any further. I guess it's time for another to go on the IGNORE list. GOOD BYE!

Leave a comment:

• janmb
    replied
    Tomato, tomaato ..................... Let's put this thing to rest. It's a ridiculous debate. Pronounce it however you want. It's like that whole crap about "tail heavy", "tail heavier", "nose heavy", "nose heavier". EVERYBODY knows what you're talking about. (Where's that FACEPALM emoji?)
    https://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Saab%20Gripen
    What's wrong with those who DO speak the language in question trying to teach those who don't?

Well, I guess if it is a life goal of yours to avoid pronouncing every foreign word incorrectly, then sure.

Leave a comment:

• janmb
    replied

Changed the diameter too.
    Awesome!

Sure you uploaded the changed version on thingi? Re-downloaded now and seems unchanged.

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied
    1:9 scale IRIS-T missile with lug to fit Freewing Gripen wingtip rail. The nose section has some breakaway parts that look like fins to support it upright while printing. These are not part of the missile - remove after printing. Will need supports. Underwing pylons at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4713773
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• HaroldAnderson
    replied
    Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

0:40

Maj. Peter “Starbutt” Fällén, Swedish Air Force, demonstration pilot and deputy commander of 71 Squadron, F7 Wing Såtenäs, with a walk around of Saab’s JAS 3...
    Kind of funny how the nose wheel on this plane looks almost identical to a Freewing nose wheel. 😲

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    It's a ridiculous debate. Pronounce it however you want. It's like that whole crap about "tail heavy", "tail heavier", "nose heavy", "nose heavier". EVERYBODY knows what you're talking about.
    No, it's not! :)
    And I couldn't care less about what you think is or isn't crap, tbh.

You can keep those comments to yourself and spare the readers of actual useless 'crap'.

Best regards,
    Jandro.

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied
    Is someone gripin' about pronunciation?

Leave a comment:

• xviper
    replied
    Tomato, tomaato ..................... Let's put this thing to rest. It's a ridiculous debate. Pronounce it however you want. It's like that whole crap about "tail heavy", "tail heavier", "nose heavy", "nose heavier". EVERYBODY knows what you're talking about. (Where's that FACEPALM emoji?)
    How do you say Saab Gripen? Listen to the audio pronunciation of Saab Gripen on pronouncekiwi

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied

Great, my bad :D
    Changed the diameter too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X