X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swarick View Post
    Ordered. I hope Tuesday's video has more info on gyro set-up.
    We can definitely go over that. But the gyro is pre-tuned, so all you need to do is plug it in. But if you want to adjust it afterward, you will need a programming card. Link to card: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...ing-card-e5201

Comment

Ordered pnp arf+ jet. Any idea when the edf and esc will be available? I am not in a hurry as i have so many planes now i have no room lol

Comment

So I’ve been undecided about my next airplane and this pops up! And I ordered it! But I’m seeing that I missed the first preorder..bummer! My only hope now is that I’m the first at the field with the new F9F. Can’t wait!!!

Comment

Guess it must have sold out friday when it popped. I didnt even see it till sunday lol

Comment

That sold out fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
              Ordered pnp arf+ jet. Any idea when the edf and esc will be available? I am not in a hurry as i have so many planes now i have no room lol
              Parts will arrive with the aircraft

Comment

It looks like all of the boxes got checked. Great job guys! :D

On a side note, my Dad flew in the twin seat trainer version of this with some of his pilot friends when he was in the Navy during the Vietnam War era.

GB

Comment

Originally posted by StevenR View Post
                  So I’ve been undecided about my next airplane and this pops up! And I ordered it! But I’m seeing that I missed the first preorder..bummer! My only hope now is that I’m the first at the field with the new F9F. Can’t wait!!!
                  How can you tell if you missed out on the first batch?

Rick

Comment

Looked up vf 61 on google search and there was good old 209 of the jolly rogers. This plane looks as close to real as pics can get.

Comment

You're not the first to not read the description. First paragraph.
                      • This is the pre-order for the Freewing F9F-8 Cougar Super Scale 80mm EDF with Gyro - PNP. The first shipment of the F9F Cougar will arrive at the very end of May or possibly very early June. The first pre-order shipment sold out late on May 6th. The second shipment of the F9F Cougar will arrive around the later part of mid June. Any Cougar pre-orders on or after May 7th are from the second shipment. Any changes to the ETA will be posted on this page.

Comment

Now the Cougar itch is satisfied, how about a Hawker Hunter?

Comment

Originally posted by kallend View Post
                          +1

Comment

since the video says the pitot tube can be removed for grass ops, can we have some grass ops video? Thanks.

Comment

Glad to see something different and the "super scale" features look excellent! Full gear doors and scale struts, lights, and a gyro out of the box makes for one beautiful aircraft. This one will have to wait a bit for me (dealing with a full scale engine rebuild at the moment), but it is definitely on my list!

Comment

Originally posted by kallend View Post
                                +2.

Comment

In comparing the size to a few others, the F9F-8 is no slouch. She's 41 x 57

90mm F4 is 40x61
                                  90mm F-15 is 38 x 57
                                  90mm F-16C is 40 x 60
                                  90mm T45 is 48 x 57
                                  80mm A4 is 37 x 56

To me, she's bigger than she looks in the vids. Can't wait. I think I'm in the first batch.
                                  Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                  Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                  I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Be sure to join us live tomorrow at 12pm EST as we unbox, assemble, show more flights and answer questions on the new Cougar!. See you tomorrow!

Join James, Wesley, Alex, and Lori as they get hands-on with the new Freewing F9F-8 Cougar! We will unbox one, assemble it, show more flights as well as answ...

Comment

Looks very good.
                                      How will it be to operate from a slightly bumpy grass field?
                                      Don't have the luxury of a paved field in the Norwegian countryside.

Comment

Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                                        In comparing the size to a few others, the F9F-8 is no slouch. She's 41 x 57

90mm F4 is 40x61
                                        90mm F-15 is 38 x 57
                                        90mm F-16C is 40 x 60
                                        90mm T45 is 48 x 57
                                        80mm A4 is 37 x 56

To me, she's bigger than she looks in the vids. Can't wait. I think I'm in the first batch.
                                        It is a big plane. We (Motion RC and Freewing) had a goal to up our game.

The goals for this 80mm jet were as follows:
                                        1) More scale details than any other Freewing 80mm plane (The goal was to bring the 80mm jets to the level of 90mm scale details)
                                        2) Ease of use - less screws, easy assembly, easy wing removal
                                        3) Performance - design new EDF and add more powerful motor, add gyro

First the scale details. Normally, we would try to use landing gear from an existing Freewing 80mm jet. This makes the price lower for customers when we can reuse some parts. Making new tooling and parts is always more expensive than using existing parts. However, to achieve the desired scale fidelity, we knew the Cougar would need new CNC landing gear. Normally we try to save the scale landing gear for 90mm jets but to achieve the goals set above, the cougar needed new gear. This is a first for the 80mm size for Freewing jets. More scale details usually mean additional size which is why the plane got a bit larger. The other 80mm jets normally get wing tip nav lights and maybe a landing light. In this case we also wanted to add a full LED light set (6 LEDs) to achieve a more scale 80mm jet. Again, we normally only do this on 90mm jets. The other 80mm jets either have no gear doors, partial gear doors, or spring operated doors at best. In this case, to achieve more scale fidelity, the Cougar received the highest quality set of scale fully enclosed servo operated doors on any 80mm Freewing jet. The other 80mm jets have between 6-8 servos. The Cougar has 10 to pull this off. Adding servos required a larger BEC than normal hence the 7A vs the 5A normally found in 80mm jets. There were a few spots we had to "cheat". It is almost impossible to make a perfect scale model fly well so there are a few areas where we went off scale a bit (for good reason). For example, the ailerons and flaps and the horizontal stab are not perfectly scale. Will most people notice? Well, maybe now that I pointed it out. Will the plane fly much better? Yes. We took a few liberties as always. Just know these are done for a good reason.

The second set of goals was ease of use. We took customer feedback and gave the Cougar a screwless wing design. This makes quick work of installing and removing the wings to get the plane in any car with ease. No more spending loads of time at the flight field to get the plane ready. Even better is the landing gear staying with the fuse. Along the lines of ease is the gyro. In the past, I thought of using a gyro as "cheating". That is, until I tried one. As long as the plane is designed properly and the gyro is not compensating for a bad design, the gyro really makes a plane a joy to fly, even in the wind. Flying should be relaxing. Wind is stressful and that is the opposite of why we fly. The addition of the gyro makes it feel more locked in during wind guests. Given the popularity of gyros and the feel they provide on windy days lead to the inclusion of the Freewing E-52 gyro in the PNP Cougar. The thrust reversing ESC was added to make landing a bit less stressful as well. Gone are the worries about a hot landing causing you to run off the end of the runway. Simply reverse your thrust after landing.

The goals for performance necessitated a new EDF design. The Freewing 80mm jets use an inrunner motor and a 9B EDF as of today. The Cougar has a newly designed 12B fan. The goals for the new EDF were thrust, sound, and efficiency. The new EDF achieves all three and is the best 80mm fan Freewing has produced to date. Many designs were tested with many motors and the motor settled on was the new 3658-2150Kv inrunner. I think you will find the combination fantastic.

After incorporating all of this, the plane did get more expensive. There was some debate about including all of this or making the Cougar more analogous to the other 80mm jets at the price of the other 80mm jets. In the end, it was decided that upping our collective game was the best path for this plane. I hope all of you love this plane. A lot of time and effort went into this one. The details and the model itself were largely based on feedback from all of our loyal customers. Thank you!
                                        Last edited by Marco Polo; May 9, 2023, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Thankk you Tom. BTW I am really liking the Eurofighter, even the 6S version is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                          X