• Show
Clear All

• scootergenie
    replied
    Here's where I put mine.

Leave a comment:

• Hoomi
    replied
    Pilot figure has been replaced. I ordered a three-pack of the Corps Elite figures from Amazon for $9, which included a pilot. I repainted the figure to a more correct olive drab uniform and dark visor on the helmet. I added the O2 hose to the mask (small black heatshrink), and fabricated a joystick from small aluminum tubing covered with black heatshrink.

By the way, as near as I can calculate, the original pilot figure that comes with this plane, would be ten feet tall at the scale of the plane. The Corps Elite figure would be five feet tall.

After hooking up the receiver, I think I'm going to pull the wing off again, and move the receiver to the cavity over the wing. The servo wires included with the plane are not quite long enough to conveniently mount the receiver under the cockpit. If I can move the throttle wire for the receiver to the back of the ESC cavity, then I should only need an extension for the nose gear steering and retract, and the Rx will be nicely out of the way for battery install.

Leave a comment:

• Hoomi
    replied
    In case you ever wondered what that device hanging below the cockpit on the right side of the Warthog is:

Leave a comment:

• Hoomi
    replied
    It's here! W00t!

And that pilot figure is even more hideous in person than in the photos. It's hard to believe Freewing did such a nice job on the scale details for the rest of the plane, and then missed the mark so badly for the pilot.

Well, that, and I'd warrant from their paint job on the Maverick missiles, that they didn't bother to look at any photos of actual Mavericks.

I have some UV curing resin on the way. My plan is to take a slice off the end of the Mavericks, and mold a clear dome to glue in place of the foam nose, with the façade of the laser seeker painted behind the clear piece.

Leave a comment:

• Hoomi
    replied
    I've seen a couple of comments about the nose gear mounting needing some reinforcement. How is that being done by most?

Leave a comment:

• Hoomi
    replied
    Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
    Congrats on Thursday....but be prepared for a rats nest of wires !
    If you saw some of the test equipment I have to work on regularly, you might seriously rethink your definition of "rat's nest of wires." LOL

Complicate those rat's nests with the fact that many of the prints to my test stations were thrown away (or, as they prefer to call it, "7-S'ed"), so I have to figure out my own way through those nests. It takes a lot of wiring mess to intimidate me these days.

Leave a comment:

• scootergenie
    replied
    Congrats on Thursday....but be prepared for a rats nest of wires !

Leave a comment:

• scootergenie
    replied
    on ebay….search "lanard the corps pilot figure". or google it and see what comes up.

Leave a comment:

• Hoomi
    replied
    Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
    Here's my pilot.
    Looks great! What pilot figure did you use?

My 64mm A-10 should be here on Thursday!

Leave a comment:

• scootergenie
    replied
    Here's my pilot.

Leave a comment:

• Hoomi
    replied
    I figure, at the very least I need to repaint the AGM-65 Mavericks to look more like the real ones.

I'm very, very, familiar with how the real ones look.

Leave a comment:

• scootergenie
    replied
    I took a razor knife and cut the munitions off, and just glued the rails to the wing. figured I could always put magnets on them at a later date . Looks good with the rails hanging...without the drag.

Leave a comment:

• Hoomi
    replied
    Question for those with this plane - looking at the manual online, the directions state to glue the munitions to the wing. Is there a way to make the munitions secure enough for flight, while also being able to remove them for flight if desired?

Leave a comment:

• Hoomi
    replied
    Originally posted by Airliner Fan View Post
    She arrived yesterday.... I was able to work on her last night a bit. The first thing that I did was yank Mr. Potato Head out of the cockpit. Here is a picture of his replacement. Will send some photos once plane is together.

Brian
    Coming into the discussion late, but had to read through and find out if anyone else had noticed the pilot was a different scale than the plane. Just looking at photos of real A-10s versus the photo of the model, the pilot is HUGE in the model. I'm considering ordering the 64mm Warthog, and wondered how difficult it is to open the canopy and remove the giant.

The error is pretty glaring when looking at the photos side-by-side. The model calculates out to 1/15.9 scale, while that pilot looks no smaller than 1/10, if not closer to 1/8.

Edit: Doing some calculations, at the scale of the aircraft, a six foot tall man would be a bit over four and a half inches tall. The average human head is roughly eight to nine inches from bottom of the chin to the top of the skull, which would scale down at 1/15.9 to about 6/10 of an inch. Factor in a little extra for the thickness of the flight helmet, and we take it up to maybe 3/4" for a scale pilot's noggin.

Maybe their pilot figure has ego issues, resulting in a noticeably swollen head?

Leave a comment:

• Rougarou69
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rougarou69
    replied
    Hey guys! So I’ve been working on my A-10 and installing the F-5 landing gear. I’ve only gotten the nose gear in so far. Just to let anyone know, who might be considering this upgrade, that it’s not as easy as it might look. It takes a lot of modifications and if you’re not very inventive, you might want to stay clear.

Leave a comment:

• Mdulaney
    replied
    I am running 6s on stock 3300kv motors. Went to 60amp esc’s that are 6s capable. I run a 3300mah 6s 30c with throttle curve set at to a max of 87%. Vertical climb is endless. I am flying at 6000 feet to beware thicker air may cause more amp draw. I have 15 aggressive flights getting a solid 3:30 flights landing at 4min

Leave a comment:

• asesso
    replied
    I have just completed my Freewing 64mm A10. With an Admiral 3000mah battery it weighs 1900grams. The manual states the flying weight to be about 1700. My only modification was the addition of flaps. Do I need to go with a smaller battery to reduce the wing loading?
    art

Leave a comment:

• RCjetdude
    replied
    You could try soaking them with a warm wet cloth. Leave it on for awhile and then see it they become loose.

Leave a comment:

• asesso
    replied
    Does anyone know of a good way to remove some of the decals on the Freewing A10, without harming the paint. I want to change the tail markings to the PA ANG

Leave a comment:

Working...
X