First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear all
    which paint shall i use for epo? Where can I buy the paint? Thanks

Comment

• For spray paint the Rustoleum 2X is good. Shake well, don't spray close, and light coats. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240110-081028_Chrome.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	394518

Comment

• Originally posted by CarmeloCatalano View Post
        Dear all, which paint shall i use for epo? Where can I buy the paint? Thanks
        CC, are you doing a complete repaint or touch-ups?

There are several types of paint that are compatible with EPO Foam.

I have used exterior/interior latex from the 'big box' stores, I have used enamel rattle-can primer and paint, also airbrushed water-based acrylics are great as most manufacturers have accurate colors, though these can be pricey when doing a larger model, ask me how I know .

I would shy away from lacquer based primers, but you can shoot lacquer paint over other primers.

I am certain there are other paints that are compatible, but these are the ones of which I have first hand knowledge.

Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee I need to make it a point to up my airbrushing game. I swore off of rattle cans and painted two planes with thinned latex, went to paint a third and my airbrush would cough and spit. I tried everything to get it to work and then gave up. I know the gun probably has something in it that I can't get out. Oddly, I would spray generous amounts of water and then alcohol through it to keep it clean after painting. But it still quit. My ape nature wanted to snap the gun in half, that'll fix it. I'll have to give it another go, while it was working the lines and paint color and slight surface texture and control that you have with an airbrush is fantastic. A camo enthusiasts dream.

Of course now I have a huge collection of spray cans.

Comment

The thing about spraying latex is one little cured piece can get stuck inside and no amount of water/alcohol will dissolve it.

Lacquer thinner will soften it, but it usually won't just 'blow-out', you'll probably have to find it.

l bought a 'very' inexpensive airbrush with it's own tiny compressor (3 speeds).

I painted my FlightLine Tri-Color Corsair with it and it was surprisingly good.

I used it because I was not painting large areas all at once and had painted the bottom with white 2x HD Rattle can.

I used acrylics by Ammo as they offer USN ANA spec colors for the tri-color Corsair.

Tamms gave me a gravity feed trigger style airbrush for Christmas.I will give that a go on my B-25 repaint.

I am going to use Cross Link alclyd-acrylic enamel over automotive rattle-can primer. I believe it is water-based as well.

I love HD latex over EPO, I started trying different paints on the Corsair for the best original ANA color matching I could find.

I'll go back to exterior latex on the Freewing F-14 when I get there.

Looking forward to reading more about your airbrushing adventures.

Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks for that LB. I'm definitely going to get back on that horse!

Comment

• Dear all,
                I'm having some issues with the onboard electronics circuit where the taxi light does not like to turn on, I can unplug it and plug it into a different place then back and it will stay on, but if I cycle the gear it will remain off, anyone knows how its supposed to work? Am I missing something?
                Thanks in advance

Comment

• After building out a new F4 with 8S power in the Jolly Rodgers scheme, I was so impressed with the way it flew that I then upgraded another of my F4's, the Blue Angel, and decided it was time to upgrade the old F16 to 8S as well. It did fly great on the big 12 blade inrunner on 6S, but after flying it on 8S last week, I can't believe I waited so long to install the power plant it was begging for. This airframe was meant for 8S power! The battery bay handles the new SMC 8S HiV 5900 pack perfectly and leaves room to go aft even more if you want, but I found for me at least the sweet spot with the gear down balanced at around 128mm back. Flies like a new girl, with flight times of 5-6 minutes and without feeling "heavy". Get's off grass super fast and goes into high alpha landing mode with ease. I LOVE IT!

Did a video attached at the bottom with still shots only of a bunch of aircraft flown last week, including 2 8S F4's, the "new and improved" 8S F16 Wild Weasel (photos of that start around 1:50 in), the F18 Canadian and an Extreme Flight/Aces High FW 190 "Red Tulip".

Here's a couple F16 photos, the rest in the video:

Click image for larger version

Name:	#8.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	397982

Click image for larger version  Name:	#4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	397981

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman, you never cease to impress me.

Quite the busy guy and always tinkering and improving your stable of models.

You're a man after my own heart.

Bravo Zulu, Sir.

Best to you and Miss Ana, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Afer a model ending crash of my old freewing f16, i went to a swap meet and picked up the eflite version. I was hoping for another freewing there but he had the eflite for 450 with spare parts reciever and aircraft stand. So i bit the bullet and picked it up.
                      here was the maiden flight

Comment

Working...
                      X