Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was thinking about using the Freewing light controller on mine if possible so that the landing lights are only on when the gear is down. Seems like a waste of juice to have them on constantly. It gets here tomorrow and am looking forward to digging into it.

Comment

• From what I've seen the wing landing lights are tied together with the navigation lights inside the wing. The gear door lights are separate though.

On the other lights -the flashing dorsal and cargo-, I switched the connectors on their little control board (flashing to dorsal, dorsal to cargo, on both ends) and now the cargo light works still and the dorsal light will go off when I hit the throttle kill switch.

I like it because it shows when the motors are live or "killed"
      The dorsal light does still go off at about 60 percent throttle. Kind of silly they couldn't get that to work but I suppose I won't see it much from the ground.

Comment

• Oh, and by the way, they sent me a replacement Fat Albert which seems to have 4 good motors. Still have not flown it but it all seems to work :Cool:

Comment

• That's amazing. Congrats man.

Woody

Hey ND, I actually had both Fat "A", and a Grey one picked our. Had them during the selection, and lost the blue one during the check out. Did get the grey though. I'll just have to wait. W

Comment

• Just opened the box on my Herc and already have concerns. First, the rudder hinges. The top isn't connected to the rudder and when you turn it left, it hangs up. The right elevator has the same issue. Outer hinge isn't secure and it has about an inch of travel up and down at the tip. I haven't even taken the fuselage out of the box and to be honest I'm not looking forward to what else I might find. I've been anticipating this delivery like a kid on Christmas eve but now I'm pretty bummed and it's only been 5 minutes. Not looking forward to testing the servos but am hopeful that they all work. Going to hold off until tonight for that.

Has anyone else had similar issues with the hinges?

Comment

• Originally posted by icepirate3 View Post
              Just opened the box on my Herc and already have concerns. First, the rudder hinges. The top isn't connected to the rudder and when you turn it left, it hangs up. The right elevator has the same issue. Outer hinge isn't secure and it has about an inch of travel up and down at the tip. I haven't even taken the fuselage out of the box and to be honest I'm not looking forward to what else I might find. I've been anticipating this delivery like a kid on Christmas eve but now I'm pretty bummed and it's only been 5 minutes. Not looking forward to testing the servos but am hopeful that they all work. Going to hold off until tonight for that.

I hate seeing these kinds of stories. I would hate it even more if I was the buyer. The rudder that hangs up has been posted before and appears to be not that uncommon. I've also heard about poorly glued hinges. These are the kinds of things that we used to see all the time with Banana Hobby products but today, BH products have come a long way and comparing to this experience, would seem to have become superior.
              I am still convinced that the whole "lottery" thing that happened with this plane was a result of a bad first production run and the lottery was the selling of what "good" items they could screen from that run. Perhaps now, they are selling off the next best examples of that run, hence the very short "in stock" status of the product. If they can't get the next production run of this plane up to snuff consistently, they will be in BIG trouble. No matter how desirable the plane is, people simply won't stand for this and news travels far and fast.

Comment

• It is a shame. I would have been fine waiting another 6 months if it meant knowing that Avios and HK were making sure that it was actually ready to be shipped to the customer. How are these making it through Q.A.?? I get that these are mass produced and mine may be in the minority but I was not expecting to find issues on 2 out of the o ly 4 parts I unpacked.

This is my first Avios/HK plane. First impressions are very important to me. If there are more problems with the fuselage or servos it's getting sent back. The sad part is all of the custom graphics I'm having made and the fact that I bought a new 12 channel radio just for this plane. Live and learn.

Comment

• I purchased one last week when that window was open, but it hasn't arrived yet. Sad to hear there are still quality issues. I'll make a report when it gets here.

Comment

Just opened the box on my Herc and already have concerns. First, the rudder hinges. The top isn't connected to the rudder and when you turn it left, it hangs up. The right elevator has the same issue. Outer hinge isn't secure and it has about an inch of travel up and down at the tip. I haven't even taken the fuselage out of the box and to be honest I'm not looking forward to what else I might find. I've been anticipating this delivery like a kid on Christmas eve but now I'm pretty bummed and it's only been 5 minutes. Not looking forward to testing the servos but am hopeful that they all work. Going to hold off until tonight for that.

:Straight-Face::Straight-Face::Straight-Face::Straight-Face::(:Not-Talking: Not cool at all......

Comment

• I submitted a claim so they are aware. Here is a short video I took that I also sent them. If the fuselage is ok, I will replace all of the hinges so at least I know its solid.

Comment

• Thankfully there's good news. All of the servos are working. Had all of the end points set very low as suggested and am glad I did. Going to start sanding and prepping for primer. There are some pretty large gaps between the engine nacelles and the wing that I will fill in. Going to balance the props and either fix or replace the empenage hinges.

Comment

• Well, mine arrived yesterday. Tried to take a few photos for this post, but for some reason they are not moving from my phone to the ipad. Not necessary though.

Good; all of the servos, motors, esc's, landing gear etc. seem to be working fine. The flaps do not bind, go in and out properly. The way the wings come on and off is very nice, and will make for easier storage and transport to and from the flying field.

Not so good; the upper portion of the rudder was binding up against the vertical stabilizer. This resulted in the upper hinge tearing itself loose by the time I realized what was happening. A little trimming with an x-acto knife eliminated the binding.
                          The model came with NO instructions. Nothing. Interesting as there is a tag on the lead going to the flap servo that specifically says, "read the instructions".
                          The masking job around the windscreen glass appears to have been done by a ten year old, and he was in a hurry.
                          The general quality of the paint, surface texture of the foam, tape covering seams, and just the general appearance of the finish is less than I expected from a model of this price.

I've obviously become spoiled by the quality of the Freewing jets. When you open one of those and take it out of the box, there's a certain "gee whiz this is nice" factor. I did not get that from the C-130. Although I'm somewhat disappointed and having buyer's remorse, I will make it work! Hopefully it flies well. Going to do an unusual livery, and just try to enjoy having a multi engine foamy. But I do wish I'd bought that Freewing F-104 or MIG-21 I've been thinking about instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                            Well, mine arrived yesterday. Tried to take a few photos for this post, but for some reason they are not moving from my phone to the ipad. Not necessary though.

Good; all of the servos, motors, esc's, landing gear etc. seem to be working fine. The flaps do not bind, go in and out properly. The way the wings come on and off is very nice, and will make for easier storage and transport to and from the flying field.

Not so good; the upper portion of the rudder was binding up against the vertical stabilizer. This resulted in the upper hinge tearing itself loose by the time I realized what was happening. A little trimming with an x-acto knife eliminated the binding.
                            The model came with NO instructions. Nothing. Interesting as there is a tag on the lead going to the flap servo that specifically says, "read the instructions".
                            The masking job around the windscreen glass appears to have been done by a ten year old, and he was in a hurry.
                            The general quality of the paint, surface texture of the foam, tape covering seams, and just the general appearance of the finish is less than I expected from a model of this price.

I've obviously become spoiled by the quality of the Freewing jets. When you open one of those and take it out of the box, there's a certain "gee whiz this is nice" factor. I did not get that from the C-130. Although I'm somewhat disappointed and having buyer's remorse, I will make it work! Hopefully it flies well. Going to do an unusual livery, and just try to enjoy having a multi engine foamy. But I do wish I'd bought that Freewing F-104 or MIG-21 I've been thinking about instead.
                            HK has pretty much stopped putting instructions in with planes. They put them on the website instead for you to download and print.

Comment

• Thanks! I'll have a look there.

Comment

HobbyKing is getting away from including paper instructions with models. You get the instructions by downloading them from the product page ("upload files"). Another way for them to save 50 cents.

Comment

Thanks! I'll have a look there.

Comment

• Got it. Thanks gentlemen!

Comment

• Scanned many pages does any one know the SQ in area of the wing and the all up flying weight Thanks Gang could not find it on HK site

Comment

• Was surprised to see that HK sent me a replacement vertical and horizontal stab set. In my claim I wrote that it was for information purposes and that I would fix but they sent a set anyway. Pretty cool. Unfortunately the vertical stab has the exact same problem. I didn't even have to take it out of the bag to see that the top hinge isn't connected at all.

Am I really just that unlucky or am I missing something? Am I expecting too much by wanting the flight surfaces connected and not binding? Should I be happy it's not worse? Should I do what was suggested on RCG that I should expect problems like this?

I think it's great that they are sending out new props and that they sent me replacement parts I didn't ask for. They are trying to make it right which is very cool. Their CS deserves props. Their QA department on the other hand needs help. I could see that the hinge wasn't connected as soon as I pulled the plastic bubbles off. I didn't even touch the bag! Whoever packaged it could see it. Grrrr

Helpful business advice. If someone reports a defective part, DON'T send them another part with the same defects!!!!!

Comment

Should I do what was suggested on RCG that I should expect problems like this?
                                          They actually said that? :Loser: Maybe if it was a $200.00 plane but not when it's a $350.00 plane. :Confused:

Comment

Working...
                                          X