Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jhnybgd View Post

The shine is scale for Fatty Albert:Cool:
    And yes, I'll be shooting clear gloss on my Fat Albert this weekend! (that sounds weird, doesn't it?)

Comment

• If there are any gray C-130 owners here that are not involved in the RCG C-130 thread, I made my own propeller spec decals for the props. They are slightly oversize, but if I made them much smaller they started to lose legibility.

Since I had to use an entire sheet of decal paper, I made several sets and have some left over. If anyone here is interested in set, PM me for my address, then just send me a stamped, self addressed envelope and I will get a set out to you.

They are water slide decals. They look best if you use a little decal setting solution on them then give them a light coat of matte/flat clear spray.

Jim

Comment

• The weather was unseasonably good today, so I had to get out and take advantage of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          Can you tell where the resistance on the flaps exist? You've sanded everything, it seems, so is the resistance in the hinges? When you move the flaps by hand without the rods attached, can you feel where they may be "sticking"? Could it be that the rod is pushing/pulling at a bad angle to get the best leverage?
          Did you try to move the rod at the servo end to a lower hole for more mechanical advantage? Did you play with the flap deployment %, travel adjust and rod length to get the servo further away from its end point?
          I know it's a beautiful model but with all the little weird things about it, the flying experience may not be as great as it should and a beautiful model that has little problems that may prevent it from flying well is useless to me. It's too expensive to just hang it up and gawk at it. With some showing up with terribly crooked decals, it makes for a bad static model. Props breaking and lack of parts is also a big negative. It worries me that this could be their C-47 Jungle Jumper all over again.
          It seems that it is sticking where the flap meets the pocket - The hinges are pretty smooth an no effort on the hinge itself. I have loosened the balls to let them pivot in place as the ball link connection seems snug with a little resistance. Not sure how to polish these as stated in this thread. I have already sanded a good bit of the top part of the flap that tucks away in the pocket. I don't want to sand to much away as the paint is coming off and if i put more paint on it, will I be back where I started if this will even correct it. I will post a video of the flap moving by hand and then one of it moving with the servo as well

Comment

• Originally posted by ken.swa@outlook.com View Post

It seems that it is sticking where the flap meets the pocket - The hinges are pretty smooth an no effort on the hinge itself. I have loosened the balls to let them pivot in place as the ball link connection seems snug with a little resistance. Not sure how to polish these as stated in this thread. I have already sanded a good bit of the top part of the flap that tucks away in the pocket. I don't want to sand to much away as the paint is coming off and if i put more paint on it, will I be back where I started if this will even correct it. I will post a video of the flap moving by hand and then one of it moving with the servo as well
            Sounds like there may still be some foam that is in need of more sanding. The parts that come together and closest to the hinge is the hardest to see and the hardest to get at to sand. If the flap has a warp in it, it could be getting hung up on a high spot.
            As for the ball, when I've encountered this in the past, I elected to emery cloth the ball itself, leaving the ring alone as this part can and will wear down in time. The ball has to seat inside the ring and sanding the interior of the ring may ruin the seat. Finally, use a drop of silicone lubricant on the ball from a spray can before snapping it back into the ring. Then exercise it to get the lube into the ring. Unless the ball arm that goes through the hole has a nut on the other side, loosening it could cause the whole ball to unscrew given enough time. The idea if for the ball to move inside the ring.
            Do look into using a lower hole on the servo arm for more mechanical advantage.

Comment

• Does anyone know what the rates are supposed to be for the ailerons/elevator/rudder? the only rates that I have seen have to do with the flaps and 13mm.

Comment

• Yesterday was going to be the day but...

Finally got the plane clear coated (it does look good glossy), the props balanced and the weather cooperative. All the servos are working and it was time to go. Well...
                After deciding the new Admiral receiver I had in was not working right, then replacing it with a 9 Channel Spektrum l have, I was able to get a good range check.
                Ready to put in a fresh battery and head for the runway I found the #4 motor making a strange rumbling, growling sound and slowing down. While looking into that, #2 started with the same sound.
                Not bearing or magnet noise, it sounds more like a timing issue. It happens when going up with the throttle, especially when it's raised quickly. I have calibrated the throttle a couple times.

Now my problem is how to check or change the ESC setings. I haven't looked into the spaghetti in the fuse and I really don't want to cut open a nacelle or wing yet to work on a single ESC.

I'm wondering if the ESC's can be programmed with the transmitter. If so, can HK provide the tone sequences?

Has anyone looked into doing this yet?

And ultimately it could be bad motors or speed controllers.

It's very aggravating since everything else has been working:Scared:

Not a real happy camper at the moment

Comment

• Originally posted by NoDirt! View Post
                  Yesterday was going to be the day but...

Finally got the plane clear coated (it does look good glossy), the props balanced and the weather cooperative. All the servos are working and it was time to go. Well...
                  After deciding the new Admiral receiver I had in was not working right, then replacing it with a 9 Channel Spektrum l have, I was able to get a good range check.
                  Ready to put in a fresh battery and head for the runway I found the #4 motor making a strange rumbling, growling sound and slowing down. While looking into that, #2 started with the same sound.
                  Not bearing or magnet noise, it sounds more like a timing issue. It happens when going up with the throttle, especially when it's raised quickly. I have calibrated the throttle a couple times.

Now my problem is how to check or change the ESC setings. I haven't looked into the spaghetti in the fuse and I really don't want to cut open a nacelle or wing yet to work on a single ESC.

I'm wondering if the ESC's can be programmed with the transmitter. If so, can HK provide the tone sequences?

Has anyone looked into doing this yet?

And ultimately it could be bad motors or speed controllers.

It's very aggravating since everything else has been working:Scared:

Not a real happy camper at the moment
                  That sucks man! I hate when crap like this happens. I was just about ready to head out with my new T-28. Was doing a final test. Elevator servo just ceased to function. No noises, no jitters, just dead as a door nail. Had to order a brand new servo, for a brand new plane. I just recently had to cut a brand new plane open to fix something. (Horizons Finest). It sucks for sure man, I feel for you.

Woody

PS, the last time something like this happened to me, I had to order a programmer from HK. : (

Comment

• So,does anyone know when HK will be selling these in the USA market?????????????????

Comment

• Originally posted by Go4it View Post
                      So,does anyone know when HK will be selling these in the USA market?????????????????
                      They'll be selling these worldwide in January. So far, the ones that are out there are from the "lottery" system pre-order. I'm beginning to worry that the little inadequacies in this model is surfacing. I don't think I want one anymore unless someone near me gets one and decides not to keep it - something like their Lancaster. A few came up for sale in my location but I didn't want to touch one with a barge pole.

Comment

They'll be selling these worldwide in January. So far, the ones that are out there are from the "lottery" system pre-order. I'm beginning to worry that the little inadequacies in this model is surfacing. I don't think I want one anymore unless someone near me gets one and decides not to keep it - something like their Lancaster. A few came up for sale in my location but I didn't want to touch one with a barge pole.
                        I have the Blue Angels version,yes it has issues...or had issues.

Honestly I cant think of a plane that doesnt.

Yes is it expensive,its foam and cheap chinese electronics smothered in plastic.

But it is truly beutiful and after redoing the flap servos(and cargo door servo) this thing flies for 6min on a 2200 4s lands at a walk and is bad ass with the cargo door open all lights on at dusk on a low slow flyby.

I have mostly FW and FL planes and have had problems with all.

All in all I really like and am glad I bought it.

Cant wait to get the gray version and make me a AC130

Comment

• Here's a video of the motor sounds. I'm moving the throttle quickly but the motors slow down when the noise is present.

Comment

Here's a video of the motor sounds. I'm moving the throttle quickly but the motors slow down when the noise is present.
                            https://youtu.be/YTzO8LH-3J0
                            What's it sound like when you do that without the props on?

Comment

What's it sound like when you do that without the props on?
                              Prior to mounting the props the motors sounded good. I should try again without them.
                              Did my best to balance the props with a DuBro balancer.

Comment

Prior to mounting the props the motors sounded good. I should try again without them.
                                Did my best to balance the props with a DuBro balancer.
                                If you take the props off and the motors sound OK, I would suggest that the props are slipping and the motor shafts are spinning independent of the props. If anything, the motor is not slowing down. They are speeding up. It just sounds like they are slowing down because they aren't turning the prop at the same speed. You hear less prop noise. Find a way to tighten them down without breaking them.
                                PS. How are the props secured onto the motor shaft? Is it like FMS and Freewing planes where there's a hex nut that slots into the hex hole on the back side of the prop? It doesn't sound like it.

Comment

• The prop adapters are held by two set screws. There is a flat on one side of the motor shaft.
                                  The adapters have a round section with flats on either side that the prop sits over. It's all pretty positively engaged.

Comment

The prop adapters are held by two set screws. There is a flat on one side of the motor shaft.
                                    The adapters have a round section with flats on either side that the prop sits over. It's all pretty positively engaged.
                                    I've read that some owners have indicated that those set screws are not always fully seated and the prop is NOT secured onto the motor shaft, thereby allowing the prop to NOT spin with the motor (under load). IE, the props can slip. If you haven't yet removed the props that sound different, try to hold the motor and spin the props. I'll bet they aren't solidly attached.

Comment

• Im still on the wait to see long term issues fence personally. Just not ready to trust their electronics

Comment

I've read that some owners have indicated that those set screws are not always fully seated and the prop is NOT secured onto the motor shaft, thereby allowing the prop to NOT spin with the motor (under load). IE, the props can slip. If you haven't yet removed the props that sound different, try to hold the motor and spin the props. I'll bet they aren't solidly attached.
                                        They're quite solidly mounted. All set screws Loctited and tightened.
                                        Thanks though.

Comment

They're quite solidly mounted. All set screws Loctited and tightened.
                                          Thanks though.
                                          It's a mystery then. I would be cautious that the Loctite can spin out by centrifugal force and touch the plastic bits of the prop.

Comment

Working...
                                          X